Romania E-commerce Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Forecast Data Period
|2024 - 2029
|Historical Data Period
|2019 - 2022
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Romania E-commerce Market Analysis
The Romanian e-commerce market is expected to register a CAGR of 11.56% during 2022-2027. The Romanian e-commerce market is primarily driven by the increasing internet penetration, advanced infrastructure, and an increased number of online shoppers.
- E-commerce is witnessing rapid growth in the Romanian market. The factors like internet penetration, the rise in the tech-savvy youth population, and other factors are driving Romania's e-commerce market.
- The local market in Romania has around 100 online stores registering over 1,000 orders per day. Still, it is expected to increase to triple times in the coming three years, based on various digital transformation trends that will define local e-commerce.
- According to International Trade Administration, in 2021, working remotely and virtual schooling will increase the usage of online communication solutions. As a result, internet service penetration increased, resulting in a 33 percent rise in traffic from connected desktops and a 12 percent increase in traffic from mobile devices.
- Various companies are coming up with their e-commerce platform in the region due to the e-commerce market's significant growth. For instance, in February 2022, Macromex, Grocery, and Related Product Merchant Wholesalers Industry announced the launch of the Bocado. ro platform, the e-commerce solution.
- The food e-commerce market is recording growth and opportunity in the Romania market. Many partnerships are taking place by various e-commerce market players to boost the market further. For instance, in January 2022, Golden Foods Snacks SA announced its partnership with PepsiCo to distribute its products in Romania.
Romania E-commerce Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Romania E-commerce Market according to our research experts:
Significant Growth in E-Commerce is Expected due to Digital Transformation
- The digital economy is significantly developing with access to the internet made available across the globe. Various e-commerce market vendors are expanding their business in the Romania market to meet the growing demand for online retailing.
- The government is taking various strategic initiatives to enhance Romania's digital economy. For instance, the Romanian government launched the National investment and economic recovery plan in 2020, which will cover the years from 2021-to 2030. This plan will include the creation of an interoperability hub, the introduction of the electronic identity card, the migration of public services to a government cloud, and more such strategies.
- Similarly, in May 2022, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Deputy Secretary announced the partnership of the National Institute for Research and Development in Informatics - ICI Bucharest and the Romanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs to host the first International Conference on Cyber Diplomacy. The conference was hosted to protect data from cyber attacks due to the exposure of essential data with the increase in dependency on digital assets.
- Smartphones provide a great platform for buyers across the world to explore different market trends and websites for e-shopping. From Augmented Reality (AR) supported software that has significantly changed the e-commerce market by enabling the easy purchase of furniture and clothing online or ordering users' favorite Cappuccino from Starbucks, digital transformation has made lives less complex.
- As Romania is adopting digitalization, various market players in digital industries are looking forward to expanding their footprints in Romania. For instance, in January 2022, Mastek, a software company, announced the launch of its new office in București, Romania. Furthermore, the company has planned to recruit a skilled workforce that will include cloud experts, business analysts, & digital consultants.
Fashion is Expected to Hold a Major Share
- The COVID-19 outbreak is responsible for the significant increase in online purchasing. Most Romanians were comforted during the pandemic by using digital shopping and e-payments, giving millions of users access to online businesses for the first time.
- The collection of customer data during shopping has been helpful for Romanian e-commerce platforms as it helps estimate the market's demand for products. Many key vendors are flourishing their online shops in the Romanian market. For instance, in March 2021, Zalando, Europe's online platform for fashion and lifestyle, launched its online store in Romania. This store will help the company expand its footprints and customer base in Europe.
- Social media websites and apps are used by a growing number of users in Romania, which shows how social plays a major role in e-commerce. Moreover, many social media platforms are developing their own e-commerce sites. For instance, in April 2022, Pinterest introduced WooCommerce, the Extension for the E-commerce Platform, where Merchants can upload their product catalog and create shoppable Product Pins.
- The fashion industry in Romania is witnessing continuous growth as the market players are looking forward to making various acquisitions in order to utilize their expertise in the online fashion industry. For instance, in September 2021, Maersk fashion logistics announced the addition of HUUB, a Portuguese cloud-based logistics start-up specialized in technology solutions for B2C warehousing for the fashion industry.
- The growth in the fashion industry in Romania is supported by numerous e-commerce vendors who are setting up their stores in the country to meet the growing demand of Romanian customers. For instance, in March 2021, Fashion House Group, developers in the outlet sector in Europe, announced its plan to open its second outlet center in Romania. The store will include various popular brands.
Romania E-commerce Industry Overview
The Romanian e-commerce market is witnessing a rise in competitiveness among companies. The market consists of various major players, such as 6th Street, Ubuy, H&M, and others. In terms of market share, these significant players are presently dominating the e-commerce market in Romania. However, with increasing innovations in e-commerce, many companies are increasing their market presence by securing new contracts and tapping new markets.
- June 2021 - Altex, a major Romanian electro-IT retailer, announced the launch of six new stores by the end of the year and will also enhance the existing ones. In addition, the company is ready to launch a marketplace and a mobile application marking its entry into the Romanian E-commerce market.
- October 2021 - Everli, Europe's online grocery shopping marketplace, announced plans for its expansion into Germany and Romania in early 2022. Such expansion plans are indicative of the vendor's interest in the emerging opportunities of the e-commerce market in Romania.
Romania E-commerce Market Leaders
Fashion Days Shopping SRL.
Altex Romania SRL
Zara USA, Inc
emag.ro (Dante International S.A )
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Romania E-commerce Market News
- October 2021 - TBI Bank announced its partnership with Gomag, a Romanian e-commerce platform to offer an all-in-one digital solution to offline and online retailers that include " buy now, pay later." With the help of the TBIPay buy now pay later model, sellers can offer their customers a convenient and simple process.
- January 2022 - Holland & Barrett, a health and wellness retailer, announced a new partnership deal to open stores across Greece, Romania, and Bulgaria. The partnership will help in providing a wide range of health and wellness products with the expansion of the company's business across the region.
Romania E-commerce Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definitions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness-Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Key market trends and share of e-commerce of total Retail sector
4.4 Impact of COVID-19 on the e-commerce sales
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growing Demand from Fashion Industry
5.1.2 Penetration of Internet and Smartphone Usage
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Lack of infrastructure and lower readiness owing to sudden booming nature of E-commerce in the country
5.3 Analysis of key demographic trends and patterns related to ecommerce industry in Romania (Coverage to include Population, Internet Penetration, ecommerce Penetration, Age & Income etc.)
5.4 Analysis of the key modes of transaction in the ecommerce industry in Romania (coverage to include prevalent modes of payment such as cash, card, bank transfer, wallets, etc.)
5.5 Analysis of cross-border ecommerce industry in Romania (Current market value of cross-border & key trends)
5.6 Current positioning of country Romania in the ecommerce industry in the region Europe
6. Market Segmentation
6.1 By B2C ecommerce
6.1.1 Market size (GMV) for the period of 2017-2027
6.1.2 Market Segmentation - by Application
220.127.116.11 Beauty and Personal Care
18.104.22.168 Consumer Electronics
22.214.171.124 Fashion and Apparel
126.96.36.199 Food and Beverage
188.8.131.52 Furniture and Home
184.108.40.206 Others (Toys, DIY, Media, etc.)
6.2 By B2B ecommerce
6.2.1 Market size for the period of 2017-2027
7. Competitive Landscape
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Amazon.com Inc.
7.1.2 Fashion Days Shopping SRL
7.1.3 Altex Romania SRL
7.1.4 emag.ro Dante International SA
7.1.5 Zara USA Inc.
7.1.6 Sephora Cosmetics Romania SA
7.1.7 Notino s.r.o
7.1.8 Inter IKEA Systems BV
7.1.9 H & M Hennes & Mauritz AB
7.1.10 Online S.r.l
- *List Not Exhaustive
8. Investment Analysis
9. Future Outlook of the Market
Romania E-commerce Market Research FAQs
What is the current Romania E-commerce Market size?
The Romania E-commerce Market is projected to register a CAGR of 11.56% during the forecast period (2024-2029)
Who are the key players in Romania E-commerce Market?
Amazon.com, Inc., Fashion Days Shopping SRL., Altex Romania SRL, Zara USA, Inc and emag.ro (Dante International S.A ) are the major companies operating in the Romania E-commerce Market.
What years does this Romania E-commerce Market cover?
The report covers the Romania E-commerce Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Romania E-commerce Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Romania E-commerce Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Romania E-commerce market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Romania E-commerce analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.