Netherlands E-commerce Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Market Size (2024)
|USD 33.43 Billion
|Market Size (2029)
|USD 52.16 Billion
|CAGR (2024 - 2029)
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Netherlands E-commerce Market Analysis
The Netherlands E-commerce Market size is estimated at USD 33.43 billion in 2024, and is expected to reach USD 52.16 billion by 2029, growing at a CAGR of 9.31% during the forecast period (2024-2029).
- The country was an early adopter of e-commerce. Favorable factors, such as high internet penetration and citizens who have both technical abilities and a stable internet connection, contribute to the country's e-commerce boom.
- In the Netherlands, there are several notable eCommerce platforms. Bol.com was the first Dutch online retailer to surpass one billion euros in revenue in 2018. Amazon introduced a Dutch portal (Amazon.nl) in early 2020 and immediately earned a sizable market share.
- The market is continuing to evolve, and any of the minor players could quickly gain a significant market share. Some smaller marketplaces, such as VidaXL.nl, are relatively new and have expanded very quickly to reach a wide market. Also, the expansion of Amazon into the Netherlands market may change the online marketplace landscape considerably.
- The large population density, short distances involved, and the fact that the Flemish language and culture transcend national borders are all key aspects of the country's e-commerce.
- Due to the emergence of COVID-19, e-commerce had an increased adoption rate added with the increased digitalization of business in the country. Almost every product category has witnessed an increase in online sales. But the e-commerce market has faced challenges such as logistics. Due to the increased adoption of e-commerce, the logistics providers were unable to serve their customers unless and until they upscaled their services.
Netherlands E-commerce Market Trends
Increase in Adoption of Digitalization is Expected to Drive the Market
- The increasing adoption of digitalization is expected to drive the e-commerce market in the Netherlands. The Netherlands has been at the forefront of embracing digital technologies, and e-commerce has experienced significant growth in recent years.
- The Netherlands has one of Europe's highest internet penetration rates, with a large percentage of the population accessing the internet. According to StatCounter, In 2022, mobile phones accounted for 46.84 percent of web page views in the Netherlands. This widespread connectivity provides a strong foundation for e-commerce growth.
- The country has a well-developed digital infrastructure, including reliable internet connections and widespread access to mobile devices. This infrastructure enables seamless online transactions and enhances the overall e-commerce experience.
- The rise of smartphones and mobile applications has also played a significant role in the growth of e-commerce in the Netherlands. Mobile commerce, or m-commerce, allows consumers to shop conveniently from their smartphones, making browsing and purchasing products more accessible.
- The government in the Netherlands has been supportive of digitalization initiatives and has implemented policies to promote e-commerce growth. This includes investments in digital infrastructure, initiatives to boost online security, and efforts to foster a favorable business environment for e-commerce companies.
Fashion and Apparel Application Segment is Expected to Hold Significant Market Share
- The fashion and apparel sector has been one of the key drivers of the e-commerce market in the Netherlands. Online clothing, footwear, and accessories shopping have gained significant popularity among Netherlands consumers. According to Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek, In 2022, fashion was the most purchased category online in the Netherlands. In the previous year, over half of Dutch consumers bought clothing, shoes, and accessories online.
- E-commerce platforms in the Netherlands offer a diverse range of fashion and apparel products, catering to different styles, preferences, and budgets. Customers can easily browse a vast selection of clothing, shoes, accessories, and beauty products from domestic and international brands.
- Online shopping provides convenience and accessibility to consumers, allowing them to shop for fashion and apparel products from the comfort of their homes. E-commerce platforms offer 24/7 availability, eliminating the need to visit physical stores and providing a seamless shopping experience.
- Online retailers in the Netherlands often provide competitive pricing, discounts, and special offers, making it attractive for consumers to shop for fashion and apparel online. Price transparency and the ability to compare prices across different platforms further contribute to the growth of e-commerce in this sector.
- Some Netherlands e-commerce platforms and fashion brands have implemented virtual fitting room technologies. These tools allow customers to visualize how garments would fit and look on them, enhancing the online shopping experience and reducing the need for returns due to sizing issues.
Netherlands E-commerce Industry Overview
The level of rivalry in the Netherlands' e-commerce market is moderate due to the presence of many market players. Some of the major players in the market are Bol.com, Coolblue, Albert Heijn, Fnac.com, and ZalandoSE, among others. The number of local and global brands in the Netherlands' e-commerce market is increasing, which may lead to high competition in the market. Players in the market are adopting strategies such as partnerships and acquisitions to enhance their product offerings and gain sustainable competitive advantage.
In August 2022, Bol.com had more than quadrupled its vendor base in the previous three years and announced it had reached 50,000 partner merchants and 13 million customers. According to Bol.com, most third-party merchants are based in the Netherlands or Belgium.
Netherlands E-commerce Market Leaders
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Netherlands E-commerce Market News
- February 2023: According to Eurostat, In 2022, 91% of EU citizens aged 16 to 74 had accessed the internet, with 75% purchasing or ordering products or services for personal use. The proportion of e-shoppers increased by 20 percentage points (pp) from 55% in 2012 to 75% in 2022. The highest shares of internet users who ordered goods or services or bought over the internet in 2022 were recorded in the Netherlands (92%)
- September 2022: DHL signed an agreement to acquire a majority investment in Dutch e-commerce specialist Monta to establish a solid collaboration and expand Monta's e-fulfillment services internationally, particularly for small and medium-sized webshops.
Netherlands E-commerce Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definitions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Key market trends and share of e-commerce of total Retail sector
4.4 Impact of COVID-19 on the E-commerce Sales
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Increase in Adoption of Digitalization
5.1.2 Growing Interest of Consumers to Shop Clothes Through E-commerce Channels
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Low Technological Awareness
5.3 Analysis of key Demographic Trends and Patterns Related to E-commerce Industry in the Netherlands (Coverage to include Population, Internet Penetration, ecommerce Penetration, Age & Income etc.)
5.4 Analysis of the Key Modes of Transaction in the E-commerce Industry in the Netherlands (Coverage to Include Prevalent Modes of Payment such as Cash, Card, Bank Transfer, Wallets, etc.)
5.5 Analysis of Cross-border E-commerce Industry in the Netherlands (Current Market Value of Cross-border & Key trends)
5.6 Current positioning of the Netherlands in the ecommerce industry in Europe
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By B2C E-commerce
6.1.1 Market size (GMV) for the period of 2018-2028
6.1.2 By Application
18.104.22.168 Beauty and Personal Care
22.214.171.124 Consumer Electronics
126.96.36.199 Fashion and Apparel
188.8.131.52 Food and Beverage
184.108.40.206 Furniture and Home
220.127.116.11 Other Applications (Toys, DIY, Media, etc.)
6.2 By B2B E-commerce
6.2.1 Market size for the period of 2018-2028
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.3 Albert Heijn
7.1.7 Amazon.com, Inc.
7.1.9 About you
7.1.10 DE Bijenkorf
- *List Not Exhaustive
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OUTLOOK OF THE MARKET
Netherlands E-commerce Market Research FAQs
How big is the Netherlands E-commerce Market?
The Netherlands E-commerce Market size is expected to reach USD 33.43 billion in 2024 and grow at a CAGR of 9.31% to reach USD 52.16 billion by 2029.
What is the current Netherlands E-commerce Market size?
In 2024, the Netherlands E-commerce Market size is expected to reach USD 33.43 billion.
Who are the key players in Netherlands E-commerce Market?
Bol.com, Coolblue, Albert Heijn, Fnac.com and ZalandoSE are the major companies operating in the Netherlands E-commerce Market.
What years does this Netherlands E-commerce Market cover, and what was the market size in 2023?
In 2023, the Netherlands E-commerce Market size was estimated at USD 30.58 billion. The report covers the Netherlands E-commerce Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Netherlands E-commerce Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Netherlands E-commerce Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Netherlands E-commerce market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Netherlands E-commerce analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2024 to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.