Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Hungary is a country of the upper-middle class with a very high Human Development Index, considering life expectancy, education, and living standards. According to the International Trade Administration, Hungary's e-commerce generated USD 2.04 billion in total revenue in 2020, accounting for 6.2% of total retail revenue. In addition, the country plans to register an annual growth rate of 5.2% during the forecast period 2022 - 2027.
- E-commerce can boost Hungary's productivity and innovation; the Hungarian government continues to prioritize promoting this sector. E-commerce has made a slow start in Hungary but has been booming in recent years. The growth rate of new online shoppers has slowed in the last few years, but the Covid 19 pandemic has led to significant growth in e-commerce.
- Further, the most developed segment in the country is claimed to be electronic banking. The growth rate of new online shoppers has slowed in the last few years, but the Covid 19 pandemic has led to significant growth in e-commerce.
- The most commonly purchased products online include books, coupons, IT and electronics, insurance services, e-tickets, and holiday bookings. According to E-commerce Europe, over 70% of orders have a courier, most Hungarian online shoppers prefer cash on delivery, and Hungarian online buyers use cash payments upon delivery. Most e-commerce revenue (almost 40%) occurs in the last two months of the year before the holiday season.
- The Hungarians increased their presence in the virtual world during the blockade of the Covid-19 pandemic. According to Bigcommerce, 83% of Hungarians and 81% of Europeans regularly buy big discounts at home improvement stores. According to the International Trade Administration, they spend hours searching for the best deals online.
Scope of the Report
E-commerce (electronic commerce) is the buying and selling of goods and services, or the transfer of funds and data, mainly via electronic networks, the Internet. These business transactions are either business-to-business (B2B), business-to-consumer (B2C), consumer-to-consumer, or consumer-to-consumer. The Hungary E-commerce Market is Segmented by B2C eCommerce (Beauty and Personal Care, Consumer Electronics, Fashion and Apparel, Food and Beverage, Furniture and Home), and B2B eCommerce.
|By B2C ecommerce|
|Market size (GMV) for the period of 2017-2027|
|By B2B ecommerce|
|Market size for the period of 2017-2027|
Key Market Trends
Increase in E-commerce business during the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Real-time accessibility and 24/7 availability of e-commerce products, and the ease of electronic payments disrupt many aspects of traditional consumer shopping behavior. In the EU, most internet users, especially those under 45, shop online.
- Online content such as clothing, sporting goods, travel, games, videos, music, and physical goods are one of the most popular items. This trend is also driven by the rise of cashless payments, which are becoming more popular in Hungary.
- Various factors contributed to the rise of B2C e-commerce during the COVID-19 pandemic. First of all, the number of active online users, especially young people, is increasing, and more and more people are shopping on the go from various devices. The online payment interface and shopping procedure are more accessible and user-friendly than the retailer-only online shopping apps.
- The coronavirus outbreak also poses various challenges to the e-commerce supply chain in the region. However, the opportunities that e-commerce and cashless transactions offer in terms of convenience, efficiency, and affordability will help further develop in the coming years.
- A recently completed market analysis by the Hungarian Competition Authority ("GVH") on databases has revealed that most Hungarian online shops do not take advantage of the potential of databases. A significant proportion of consumers have expressed concern about the misuse of data provided by online shopping. The role of e-commerce in the lives of Hungarian consumers is increasing, and the COVID-19 pandemic and its limitations greatly accelerate this growth.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Fashion to hold significant market share in the country
- Hungary is one of the biggest e-trade markets that is developing year over year. The pandemic has substantially affected the arena of e-trade and has modified the purchasing behavior of the Hungarian populace. The market with demand is considered the fashion industry, followed by electronics income, grocery, and private care, toys, and interest stores, with fixtures income rounding out the rankings.
- The growth of Hungary's online fashion market is supported by factors such as an increase in internet users, an increase in urban population, an increase in mobile web traffic, a high adoption rate of e-commerce in retail stores, and the use of snowballing by social media users. This also leverages the growth of the e-commerce fashion business in the country.
- However, market growth is challenged by customer retention difficulties, environmental impacts, and human rights abuses. The market is expected to see specific trends such as personalization, multi-channel demand through social media, and the incorporation of artificial intelligence.
- Further, fashion is one of the areas where more localized web stores are advantageous. The online fashion market is dominated by multinational retailers who have web shops in Hungary; for instance, one of the leading online retailers is H&M, a famous fashion chain with many physical stores in the country.
The Hungary E-Commerce market is moderately competitive due to many players in the industry. The competition is increasing with the newcomers innovating new technological solutions for e-shopping, and online payments will drive the market in the future.
- April 2022 - Rapture, a new brand for computer game enthusiasts, was recently unveiled at the Comic-Con Festival in Prague. Rapture brand gamer chairs, tables, mice, keyboards, monitor mounts, and other accessories add new colors to Alza's diverse and wide range. With the introduction of Rapture, the company Alza is meeting the growing demand for high-quality, affordable gear from both regular and casual gamers.
- June 2020 - eMAG has announced that it will open its first showroom abroad in Budapest. This year, the company plans to open three more showrooms in Hungary, achieving domestic sales of EUR 300 million. The sales target for eMAG in Hungary is EUR 1 billion in 5 years. The market in which eMAG operates makes it easier for other retailers to access the Hungarian market.
- April 2022 - Auchan has stopped using plastic bags in the stores and the fruit and vegetable department; bags that are used to store six products at a time which are washable, three-piece suit, eco-friendly made of 100% biodegradable, compostable, bio-based material are being used. In this way, the store chain has taken a pioneering step in consistently implementing its sustainability strategy that no other chain in the Hungarian market has ever done.
- April 2022 - eMAG and Extreme Digital merged, and with this, customers can access two brands of products and services through eMAG's online platform. By switching to a common platform, the company will be significantly more efficient, affordable, and deliver faster by the end of the year. Customers can receive orders from 700 easy box machines within 24 hours.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definitions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness-Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Key market trends and share of e-commerce of total Retail sector
4.4 Impact of COVID-19 on the e-commerce sales
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growing Demand from Fashion Industry
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Low Internet Penetration
5.3 Analysis of key demographic trends and patterns related to ecommerce industry in Hungary (Coverage to include Population, Internet Penetration, ecommerce Penetration, Age & Income etc.)
5.4 Analysis of the key modes of transaction in the ecommerce industry in Hungary (coverage to include prevalent modes of payment such as cash, card, bank transfer, wallets, etc.)
5.5 Analysis of cross-border ecommerce industry in Hungary (Current market value of cross-border & key trends)
5.6 Current positioning of country Hungary in the ecommerce industry in region Europe
6. Market Segmentation
6.1 By B2C ecommerce
6.1.1 Market size (GMV) for the period of 2017-2027
6.1.2 Market Segmentation - by Application
22.214.171.124 Beauty & Personal Care
126.96.36.199 Consumer Electronics
188.8.131.52 Fashion & Apparel
184.108.40.206 Food & Beverage
220.127.116.11 Furniture & Home
18.104.22.168 Others (Toys, DIY, Media, etc.)
6.2 By B2B ecommerce
6.2.1 Market size for the period of 2017-2027
7. Competitive Landscape
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.10 iPon Computer Kft
8. Investment Analysis
9. Future Outlook of the Market
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Hungary E-Commerce Market market is studied from 2020 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Hungary E-Commerce Market?
The Hungary E-Commerce Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.2% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Hungary E-Commerce Market?
Alza.hu, Arukereso.hu, eMAG, Zooplus SE, Euronics Technical Store Chain are the major companies operating in Hungary E-Commerce Market.