Produce Packaging Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Produce Packaging Market Analysis
The Produce Packaging Market size is expected to grow from USD 34.89 billion in 2022 to USD 44.37 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 4.12% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
The demand for whole and fresh-cut produce is projected to grow as consumers continue to seek healthy food.
The worldwide packaging business has witnessed constant growth over the last decade, owing to changes in substrate choice, expansion of new markets, and shifting ownership dynamics. Sustainability and environmental issues will continue to be highlighted, especially in developed nations, and the market is already seeing several developments catering to paper and plastic packaging.
In the last few years, food packaging that include fruits and vegetables has advanced significantly. Food packaging can now do more than merely maintain food freshness owing to innovative technology and materials. In addition, it can help make fruits and vegetables more appealing to consumers, convey information about the food, and help fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life. The use of eco-friendly materials, interactive packaging, and packaging that shields food from UV rays are some of the most recent trends in food packaging.
The utilization of suitable packaging is critical in order to obtain optimal shelf-life and minimize physical damage to Fresh produce. The most common type of packaging used for producing packaging is cardboard. However, most of the product requires additional internal packaging such as tissue wrapping, cups, pads, and many more.
Many researchers have researched to improve fresh produce's shelf life by utilizing corrugated packaging. For instance, in February 2020, Researchers at the Food Storage and Logistics Research Center, Southwest University, Chongqing, China, conducted research on a new corrugated box that controlled the release of Chlorine Dioxide for the preservation of strawberries and concluded that a well-designed coated corrugated box with the advantages of safety, effectiveness, and feasibility, has great potential to be used as fresh-keeping packaging of fresh fruits and vegetables.
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, consumer behavior has changed substantially. Buyers are more concerned than ever before about products' hygiene, disability, and sustainability. The shoppers' evolving needs and a consumer-focused approach will remain crucial as this crisis continues. Consumer behavior will undoubtedly continue to change in the forecast period as the market simultaneously acclimates more to the current scenario. Thus, the post-COVID future for produce packaging looks promising in terms of demand.
Produce Packaging Industry Segmentation
The produce packaging includes various packaging material types such as plastic containers, corrugated boxes, bags and pouches, film lidding and laminates, and trays that are used and assembled to bundle, pack, label, or sleeve fresh produce (fruits and vegetables). Produce packaging offers numerous benefits for fresh produce, such as physical damage protection, contamination prevention, labeling and marketing potential, improved shelf life, and food wastage reduction.
The produce packaging market is segmented by packaging material type (plastic containers, corrugated boxes, bags and pouches, films lidding and laminates, trays), by application (fruits, vegetables), and geography.
|By Packaging Material Type|
|Bags and Pouches|
|Film Lidding and Laminates|
|Middle-East and Africa|
Produce Packaging Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Produce Packaging Market according to our research experts:
Corrugated Boxes as Packaging Material Type to Witness a Significant Share in the Market
- Corrugated boxes are multi-layered rigid boxes made from two sheets of paper called liners, glued to either side of a corrugated inner 'fluting,' consisting of connected arches, allowing for greater strength and resistance. The corrugated board can be cut and folded to produce a custom-manufactured container and then printed on, using various print methods depending on run size and design needs. For many food products, cardboard is becoming a viable alternative to plastic packaging.
- Using suitable packaging is critical to obtain optimal shelf-life and minimize physical damage to Fresh produce. The most common type of packaging used for producing packaging is cardboard. However, most of the product requires additional internal packaging such as tissue wrapping, cups, pads, and many more.
- Many researchers have researched to improve fresh produce's shelf life by utilizing corrugated packaging. For instance, in February 2020, Researchers at the Food Storage and Logistics Research Center, Southwest University, Chongqing, China, conducted research on a new corrugated box that controlled the release of Chlorine Dioxide for the preservation of strawberries and concluded that a well-designed coated corrugated box with the advantages of safety, effectiveness, and feasibility, has great potential to be used as fresh-keeping packaging of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Many companies in the market are expanding their footprints which will further boost the studied segment for the market. In January 2022, Fibro Corporation, a Tacoma, Washington-based firm developing and manufacturing revolutionary molded-fiber packaging, sold its assets and technologies to Tekni-Plex. The acquisition broadens Tekni-materials Plex's science solutions in the fresh food sector to include a wider range of sustainable, pulp-based packaging options.
- Furthermore, various fresh produce suppliers are partnering with corrugated packaging providers. For instance, in June 2022, Fruits importer IG International entered a joint venture with Esquire Corrugation to manufacture sustainable fresh produce carton packaging. Through the joint venture Esquire IG, the companies target to manufacture 500-1000 tons of fresh produce packaging for the demand in the domestic and international markets.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia Pacific to Witness Significant Growth in the Market
- The region expects a significant market share due to increased packaging of unpackaged produce items such as apples, pears, and sweet potatoes and growing demand for cut and shredded produce that deploys convenience packaging.
- In the Asia Pacific region, a shift in consumer behavior has created a demand for fresh produce packaging. Fresh produce is sold in various forms of packaging in the region - including pouches, bags, and rigid plastic containers - and more intensive packaging that provides ease of use, convenience, superior performance, and shelf-life improved environmental footprint. For instance, Qingdao Hengsheng Plastics co. Ltd focuses on developing Fresh Produce Packaging for the fruit and vegetable industry. The company-manufactured hollow box can be folded and stored after transporting the vegetables.
- According to the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority in India (APEDA), India is the second-largest producer of fruits and vegetables in the world. The Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI) of the Government of India is also making all necessary efforts to increase investment in the food processing industry.
- Owing to the growing fruits and vegetables demand in the region, which is driven by increasing population, the standard of living, health awareness, and disposable income, many industry players are establishing partnerships in Asia-Pacific. For instance, in May 2021, Joy Wing Mau Corporation Ltd., a leading Chinese fruit company, entered into a strategic alliance with Dole China to launch a Dole-branded packaged fruit cup.
- The region is also at the forefront of research and innovations in the fresh produce packaging sector. For instance, in January 2021, WayCool Foods, a Farm-to-fork supply chain start-up, signed a three-year MoU with the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Hyderabad, to develop antimicrobial fresh produce packaging material by using biopolymers.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Produce Packaging Industry Overview
The produce packaging market is characterized by differentiation, growing levels of service penetration, and high levels of competition. Sustainable competitive advantage can be gained through innovation in design, technology, and application. The firm concentration ratio is expected to record higher growth during the forecast period, as several players are looking at the market as a lucrative opportunity to consolidate their product offerings. However, short product development cycles and relatively high exit barriers are some of the factors affecting firms in the market. Overall, the intensity of competitive rivalry is expected to be high.
- May 2022 - Berry Global Group, Inc. announced its collaboration with Cleanfarms and Poly-Ag Recycling on a closed-loop approach to advancing Canada's circular economy. The Canada-based recycling initiative was launched in early 2022 to recover used agricultural films, process recovered grain bag material, and produce new products with recycled content.
- October 2021 - Smurfit Kappa Group acquired a 600,000-ton containerboard mill Verzuolo in Northern Italy, for a purchase price of EUR 360 million. This mill complements the company's existing operations and is strategically located close to the port of Savona, which delivers significant benefits for the company in logistics and operations.
Produce Packaging Market Leaders
Berry Global Inc
International Paper Company
Sonoco Products Company
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Produce Packaging Market News
- July 2022 - Mondi Group, a global enterprise in packaging and paper, launched a range of fit-for-purpose corrugated packaging solutions named Grow&Go for protecting and transporting fresh produce. The Grow&Go range offers logistical advantages such as space-saving afforded by palletized flat corrugated packaging. After assembly and filling, all packaging options are perfectly stackable and tough enough to prevent damage and waste. These are available for a range of options such as heavy bulk shipments, light fruit and vegetable assortments for on-shelf display, and many more. The entire Grow&Go portfolio complies with food contact standards and is made entirely of paper.
- April 2022 - Berry Global announced the achievement of ISCC PLUS certification for all North American rigid plastic foodservice manufacturing sites. The certification will enable Berry to bring certified circular products to market, with options for advanced recycled materials
Produce Packaging Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growing Need Among Consumers for Healthier Lifestyle
5.1.2 Increased Organic Production Worldwide
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Complexity in Providing Increased Shelf-Life to the Produce Packaging
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Packaging Material Type
6.1.1 Plastic Containers
6.1.2 Corrugated Boxes
6.1.3 Bags and Pouches
6.1.4 Film Lidding and Laminates
6.2 By Application
6.3 By Geography
6.3.1 North America
6.3.3 Asia Pacific
6.3.4 Middle-East and Africa
6.3.5 Latin America
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Vendor Ranking Analysis
7.2 Company Profiles
7.2.1 Amcor PLC
7.2.2 Berry Global, Inc
7.2.3 International Paper Company
7.2.4 Sonoco Products Company
7.2.5 Reynolds Consumer Products Inc.
7.2.6 WestRock Company
7.2.7 Mondi PLC
7.2.8 Sealed Air Corporation
7.2.9 Smurfit Kappa Group
7.2.10 Coveris Holding S.A
- *List Not Exhaustive
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Produce Packaging Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Produce Packaging Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Produce Packaging Market?
The Produce Packaging Market is growing at a CAGR of 4.12% over the next 5 years.
What is Produce Packaging Market size?
The Produce Packaging Market is expected to reach USD 42.54 Billion in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 4.12% to reach USD 44.37 Billion by 2028.
Which region has highest growth rate in Produce Packaging Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Produce Packaging Market?
Asia-Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Produce Packaging Market?
Amcor PLC, Berry Global Inc, International Paper Company, Sonoco Products Company, Mondi PLC are the major companies operating in Produce Packaging Market.
Produce Packaging Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Produce Packaging market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Produce Packaging analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.