Chemical Packaging Market Size
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia-Pacific|
|Largest Market||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Chemical Packaging Market Analysis
The chemical packaging market is expected to witness a CAGR of 3.23% during the forecast period.
- The increasing sales of chemicals are anticipated to stimulate the need for chemical packaging through traditional and online retailers globally. Additionally, due to their ability to be repaired or reused, the rising demand for drums and intermediate bulk containers (IBCs) in chemical packaging is anticipated to expand the market.
- Moreover, various regions are focusing on imposing stringent regulations for chemical packaging. The ADR European Agreement considering the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods expresses the importance of choosing the right packaging for dangerous goods in its provisions on such packaging, stating that IBCs and large packaging should not be harmed or significantly weakened by such dangerous goods and should not catalyze a reaction. As awareness of the environmental and health effects of commonly used chemicals in packaging, such as bisphenol-A (BPA) and per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS), grows, the European Union and the United States are expected to enforce stricter regulations in the upcoming years. This drives the requirement for robust packaging solutions in the chemicals sector of the region.
- Several new packages satisfy the safety concerns and provide a greener footprint. Traditionally, many chemical manufacturers have used pails and drums to transport their products. While these products have several benefits over competitive materials, new products satisfy a significant market sustainability gap. For instance, bag-in-box and industrial bulk containers allow for more product-per-package and are collapsible, reducing landfill space and transportation costs.
- Intermediate bulk containers (IBCs), which are an alternative to drums, are particularly well suited to the chemical industry because they can safely transport a variety of solid or liquid products, including those that require safe handling as well as those that are classified as hazardous, like classes 3, 4, 5, and 9, as well as other chemicals, like edible liquids, lubricating, and essential oils.
- The market is expanding due to growing public knowledge of the advantages of chemical packaging, which lowers the risk of deaths and asset damage from chemical leaks. Rapid urbanization, globalization, and modernization are additional elements that promote growth.
- However, changing regulatory standards, fluctuations in raw material costs, growing waste levels, and increasing environment wastage regulations are expected to hamper some chemical packaging products' market growth.
- According to the American Chemistry Council, basic chemicals, including organic chemicals, inorganics chemicals, plastic resins, synthetic rubber, and manufactured fibers, witnessed a global production increase of 1.4% during the initial phases of the pandemic and have not seen a substantial impact due to COVID-19. However, the production of specialty chemicals took a significant hit as the global output declined by 11.2%, and especially for specialty chemicals, such as coatings, the show fell by 25.2% during the first wave of the pandemic, which negatively affected the usage of packaging in the specialty chemicals segment.
Chemical Packaging Industry Segmentation
The study tracks the demand for the chemical packaging market based on the relative consumption of various product types in the significant regions considered under the scope of work. The study provides a broad breakdown of the critical sub-types in chemicals, such as commodity chemicals, petrochemicals, specialty chemicals, and others. The study analyzes the impact of COVID-19 and other significant regional developments to identify their relative impact on the demand for the chemical packaging market.
The chemical packaging market is segmented by product type (bags and sacks, intermediate bulk containers, pails and drums, flexible IBCSs and related flexible packaging products, and other product types), application (commodity chemicals, specialty chemicals, petrochemicals, and other applications), and geography (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa).
The market sizes and forecasts are provided in terms of value (USD million) for all the above segments.
|By Product Type|
|Bags and Sacks|
|Intermediate Bulk Containers (IBC)|
|Pails and Drums|
|Flexible IBCs and Related Flexible Packaging Products|
|Other Product Types|
|Other Applications (Advanced Chemicals, etc.)|
|Middle East & Africa|
Chemical Packaging Market Trends
Material Advancements have Led to Lighter Weight Alternatives and Use of Sustainable Products
- Paper and biodegradable sacks are preferred over plastic sacks or bags due to the increasing concern over plastic packaging waste generated worldwide. The circumstances have led to governments adapting to alternative sources such as biodegradable packaging. The United States accounts for only 4% of the world's population and generates 2% of global Municipality Solid Waste (MSW). It is also stated that the United States produces about 106.2 kg of plastic waste per person per year.
- In some regions, COVID stimulated companies from various industries to bring back single-use plastic bags rather than accept reusable ones, mainly due to single-use plastics' ability to reduce the risk of potential viral transmission. Hence, an increasing number of chemical companies have suspended reusable containers, and states have begun to rescind plastic bag bans temporarily.
- The rapid shift toward sustainable packaging solutions further stimulates sack providers to innovate and provide recyclable or sustainable sacks for industrial purposes. For instance, ExxonMobil offers a range of performance PE polymers, including Exceed XP and ExxonMobil HDPE, among other products, to create several opportunities for differentiated, sustainable, heavy-duty sack solutions.
- Furthermore, Poland can be called a significant country in the chemical industry in Central and Eastern Europe. According to the Central Statistical Office, the chemical sector in Poland employs around 300,000 people, which accounts for 11% of employment in the entire industry within Poland. The most significant breakthrough in developing the chemical industry in Poland, which awaits the country in the coming years, is the development of refining, petrochemical, and plastics processing industries. Such a trend may lead to more demand for bags and sacks.
- Moreover, according to the Central Statistical Office of Poland, last year, the production of paper bags and sacks was valued at around 162,000 metric tons, a 4.52% rise in the output from the previous year, which was valued at about 155,000 metric tons. The increasing production value indicates the preference for bags and sacks made of paper as a sustainable option.
- Concern over the environmental impact of products is an established phenomenon. There has been a revived interest in sustainability explicitly focused on packaging. It is reflected in central government and municipal regulations, consumer attitudes, and brand owner values communicated via packaging. As sustainability has become a key motivator for consumers, brands increasingly focus on packaging materials and designs that show their environmental commitment.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia Pacific to hold significant market share
- The market will expand in the region due to rising industrial development, increasing foreign direct investment (FDI), and rising exchange rates. Additionally, several nations, like China and India, are concentrating more on manufacturing and consuming chemicals, increasing the demand for and consumption of chemical packaging materials in this region.
- The demand for steel drums and intermediate bulk containers (IBCs) in China is driven by increasing spending on trade activities and growing demand for chemical packaging. For instance, China's chemical industry has been the largest globally, given revenue generation. The sector has contributed to half of the growth of the world chemical market over the past two decades and has played an essential impetus in China's high economic growth.
- The growing incidents of storage and transportation of hazardous chemicals are further expected to foster the consumption of IBC and steel drums as they are perceived as safe packing solutions for such products. Additionally, the health risks posed by chemicals upon leakage and leaching, followed by the demand for a solution that prevents exposure to the external environment, continue to rise, driving the market's growth in the region.
- Moreover, with the landscape of the chemical industry changing globally, China is expected to drive its chemical industry to the next stage of development by taking the lead by leveraging technology innovation and trade and prevailing in the international market.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Chemical Packaging Industry Overview
The chemical packaging market is moderately competitive and consists of several global and regional players. These players account for a considerable market share and focus on expanding their client base worldwide. These players focus on R&D activities, strategic alliances, and other organic and inorganic growth strategies to stay in the market landscape over the forecast period.
In November 2022, Greif, Inc. entered into a binding agreement to acquire Lee Container Corporation, Inc., for a purchase price of USD 300 million, excluding tax benefits, with an estimated net present value of roughly USD 30 million. Lee Container Corporation, Inc. manufactures high-performance barrier and conventional blow-molded containers, primarily in the chemicals segment. The Lee purchase strengthens its dedication to expanding the jerrycan and small plastic bottle footprint and gives its company a new growth engine.
In August 2022, Mauser Packaging Solutions announced that the company continues expanding the number of items it can produce under the Infinity Series while investing in machinery and software that promote the circular economy. The business most recently invested in a new multi-layer plastic drum machine to facilitate the usage of recycled resin in the company's Infinity Series plastic drum product line.
Chemical Packaging Market Leaders
Mauser Packaging Solutions
Environmental Packaging Technologies
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Chemical Packaging Market News
- September 2022: The Envicco advanced recycling facility was opened in Thailand by the Austrian packaging and recycling company Alpla Group and the Thai chemical corporation PTT Global Chemical (PTTGC). The new factory is being used to treat and process packaging created from post-consumer recycled resins.
- June 2022: Greif introduced a lightweight, high-performance jerrycan that can package agrochemicals, chemicals, tastes, scents, and drinks in Brazil. The JCR20L is claimed to be almost 20 percent lighter than the standard 20-liter jerrycan and is suitable for packaging agrochemicals, chemicals, flavors, fragrances, and beverages. The reduced weight allows up to 7 percent more jerrycans to be stacked per pallet and 6.7% more storage space in the warehouse; additionally, the minor weight results in less expensive recycling collection fees.
Chemical Packaging Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Supply Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Chemical Packaging Market
4.4.1 Effect of Decline in Industrial and Manufacturing Activity
4.4.2 Supply-side Challenges in Catering to High-growth Markets
4.4.3 Changes in Trade Activity in a Few Regions
4.4.4 Macro-economical Factors Pertinent to Regional Markets, Among Others
4.5 Coverage on the Current Scenario and Growth Trajectory of the Chemicals Sector in the Major Markets
4.6 Key Innovations and Advancements in the Chemical Packaging Domain
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growing Demand for Fixed IBC's in Industrial Establishments to Drive Demand
5.1.2 Recovery in Industrial and Manufacturing Activity Augurs Well for the Market Growth
5.1.3 Material Advancements have Led to Lighter Weight Alternatives and Use of Sustainable Products
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Price Variance due to Dependence on Raw Material Prices
5.2.2 Rising Environmental Wastage Regulations
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Product Type
6.1.1 Bags and Sacks
6.1.2 Intermediate Bulk Containers (IBC)
6.1.3 Pails and Drums
6.1.4 Flexible IBCs and Related Flexible Packaging Products
6.1.5 Other Product Types
6.2 By Application
6.2.1 Commodity Chemicals
6.2.2 Specialty Chemicals
6.2.4 Other Applications (Advanced Chemicals, etc.)
6.3 By Geography
6.3.1 North America
6.3.4 Latin America
6.3.5 Middle East & Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Key Vendor Profiles
7.1.1 Grief Inc.
7.1.2 Mauser Packaging Solutions
7.1.3 Mondi Group
7.1.5 Environmental Packaging Technologies
7.1.6 Hoover CS
7.1.7 ALPLA-Werke Alwin Lehner GmbH & Co. KG
7.1.8 SolvChem Custom Packaging
7.1.9 Bulk-Pack Group
7.1.10 LC Packaging Group
7.1.11 Brainerd Chemicals Group
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Chemical Packaging Market Research FAQs
What is the current Chemical Packaging Market size?
The Chemical Packaging Market is projected to register a CAGR of 3.23% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
Who are the key players in Chemical Packaging Market?
Mauser Packaging Solutions, Mondi Group, ProAmpac, Environmental Packaging Technologies and Grief Inc. are the major companies operating in the Chemical Packaging Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Chemical Packaging Market?
Asia-Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in Chemical Packaging Market?
In 2023, the North America accounts for the largest market share in the Chemical Packaging Market.
Chemical Packaging Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Chemical Packaging market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Chemical Packaging analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.