India Food & Beverage Packaging Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
India Food & Beverage Packaging Market Analysis
The Indian food and beverage packaging market is expected to register a CAGR of 29.88% during the forecast period. India has seen sustainable packaging growth in food and beverage due to increased packaged food consumption and awareness and demand for quality products.
- India's food and beverage sectors are the main drivers of the packaging market's expansion. Growing investment in the food processing sector is opening up new packaging opportunities due to efforts to reduce agricultural crop waste.
- The expansion of organized retail, the rise in the middle-class population's purchasing power, and exports contribute to the market's growth. As a result, uniform packaging is now required to increase shelf life, maintain production speed, and guarantee quality.
- A greater level of living, increased wealth, and the fast-paced lifestyle of urban areas are all contributing to the expanding trend of online food delivery combined with packaged food. Presenters like Zomato, Swiggy, and Dunzo, among others, are examining the online food delivery business with rising acceptance and packaging innovation.
- The market is expected to be significantly challenged due to dynamic changes in regulatory standards, primarily due to increasing environmental concerns. Governments worldwide have been responding to public concerns regarding plastic packaging waste and implementing regulations to minimize environmental waste and improve waste management processes.
- However, supply chain disruptions owing to the COVID-19 pandemic created hindrances to the market's growth rate. Fluctuations in the prices of raw materials and stringent regulations imposed by the government on the application of plastic may further dampen the market's growth rate. The availability of environmentally friendly alternatives and rising environmental concerns are also anticipated to hamper the market's growth.
India Food & Beverage Packaging Industry Segments
Increasing organized retail, along with the boom in the e-commerce sector across the Indian food and beverage packaging industry, is growing exponentially. This resulted in thousands of packets being delivered every day across the country and demanded quality packaging of the products.
The Indian food and beverage packaging market is segmented into the food packaging market and the beverage packaging market. The food packaging market is segmented by material (plastic, paperboard, metal, glass), type of product (pouches and bags, bottles and jars, trays and containers, films and wraps, other types of products), and application (dairy products, meat, poultry, and seafood, bakery and confectionary, fruits and vegetables, other applications)). The beverage packaging market is segmented by material (plastic, paperboard, metal, glass), type of product (bottles, cans, pouches and cartons, caps and closures, other types of products), and application (carbonated soft drinks and fruit beverages, beer, wine and distilled spirits, bottled water, milk, energy and sports drinks, other applications).
The market sizes and forecasts are provided in terms of value (USD million) for all the above segments.
|India Food Packaging Market Segmentation|
|India Beverage Packaging Market Segmentation|
India Food & Beverage Packaging Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the India Food & Beverage Packaging Market according to our research experts:
Rising Demand for Innovative and Sustainable Food Packaging to Drive the Market's Growth
- In India, packaged foods are gaining high traction owing to busy work schedules, the rising number of working women, and the shift toward on-the-go consumption, which is, in turn, expected to ascend the utilization of innovative and sustainable packaging across the food sector. This is likely to fuel the market's growth over the forecast period.
- Nanofabrication technologies are emerging as ground-breaking solutions throughout the region intending to create active materials for use in the design of packages, coatings, and packaging technologies that help maintain and improve sensory and nutritional characteristics and safety of foodstuffs and increase their shelf life.
- With growing awareness, the requirement for eco-friendly and sustainable packaging is steadily rising. The country is focusing more on sustainable solutions, which is increasingly becoming a business imperative.
- Food outlets, restaurants, hotels, hospitals, industries, caterers, and all other users can get eco-friendly food packaging goods from companies like Evirocor in India. The increased use of eco-friendly packaging is anticipated to fuel the market's expansion.
- Moreover, the country is witnessing a change in government regulations to reduce environmental pollution. Therefore, vendors in the market are introducing innovative and sustainable packaging. For instance, WestRock planned to release a packaging collection from sustainably derived wood fiber in June 2021. When emptied and flattened, WestRock EverGrow packaging is curbside recyclable, furthering the company's goal of reducing waste and developing a product line that is 100% reusable, recyclable, and compostable.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Growing Usage of Pouches and Bags to Boost the Market's Growth
- One of the categories within flexible packaging that is increasing considerably is pouches and bags. In the food industry, it is the most used type of flexible packaging. As one of the most effective and affordable packaging options, players in the packaged food business are choosing pouch packaging.
- The expansion of plastic pouches is also fueled by their capacity to permit co-polymerization and by adding plasticizers, blowing agents, antibacterial chemicals, and color-changing additives. Pouches are adaptable, portable, and light. Furthermore, improvements in pouch features (such as resealable closures, spouts, and tear notches) and pouch manufacturing technologies (like equipment with improved line speeds) continue to reduce production costs, making pouches more affordable.
- Additionally, producers are emphasizing more on integrating features in items that make life easier for consumers, like zippered closure systems and lightweight options. For instance, Nichrome packages snacks, dry fruits, cereals, pulses, etc., using India's first vertical pouch packaging equipment.
- Moreover, plastic bags are one of the nation's most popular types of plastic packaging. The rise in plastic bags in the nation is mainly due to expanding supermarket chains and Kirana outlets. Plastic carry bags are widely utilized nationwide for bakery, candy, supermarket, and butcher products.
- Additionally, many retail establishments use packaging materials to keep food fresh and maintain its nutritional content. The need for supermarket products, including frozen and chilled meals, will likely rise in the following years, which will help the paper bag industry expand.
India Food & Beverage Packaging Market Competitor Analysis
The food and beverage packaging industry in India is moderately competitive due to the numerous businesses vying to increase their market share. Some major players in the market are Parekhplast India Limited, Essel Propack Limited, Pearl Polymers Ltd, TCPL Packaging Ltd, and UFlex Ltd. Businesses are spreading their business footprint across numerous end-user markets to increase their market presence.
In January 2022, Parksons Packaging Ltd acquired Manohar Packaging, a new entity to have a presence across India, whereas MPPL will continue as a subsidiary. However, all back-end operations, reporting, and data management will be merged and streamlined with immediate effect to offer clients a seamless experience with a newer and larger network of plants, with clubbed and standardized materials management.
India Food & Beverage Packaging Market Top Players
Parekhplast India Limited
Essel Propack Limited
Pearl Polymers Ltd
TCPL Packaging Ltd
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
India Food & Beverage Packaging Market Recent Developments
- May 2022: UFlexIndia, one of the largest multinationals in flexible packaging materials and solutions, unveiled its range of value-added, sustainable products and solutions set to rewrite the packaging story for brands and converters in this competitive landscape. The company launched FLEXCOAT AQUABAN Coating for Corrugation Boxes, a water-repellent coating for kraft paper used as an inner liner on the corrugation boxes that helps maintain the structural integrity of corrugated boxes in transit movement. It can even stand well during extreme weather conditions to preserve perishable goods. A versatile water-based coating, FLEXCOAT AQUABAN complies with the FDA guidelines.
- April 2022: Online food delivery platform Zomato announced 100%' plastic neutral deliveries' from April 2022 onward while also setting a target to deliver more than ten crore orders in sustainable packaging over the next three years. The company will partner with various stakeholders working on innovative solutions and models in packaging for the restaurant industry, including government-led initiatives, social enterprises, and startups.
India Food & Beverage Packaging Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Market Drivers
4.4.1 Increasing Penetration of the Processed Food is Expected to Drive the Growth in Packaging
4.4.2 Acceleration in Packaging Machinery Imports, Leading to Proliferation of Food and Beverage Packaging Industry
4.5 Market Restraints
4.5.1 Lack of Exposure to Best Management and Manufacturing Practices
4.6 Assessment of COVID-19 Impact on the Industry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 India Food Packaging Market Segmentation
5.1.1 By Material
5.1.2 By Type of Product
184.108.40.206 Pouches and Bags
220.127.116.11 Bottles and Jars
18.104.22.168 Trays and Containers
22.214.171.124 Films and Wraps
126.96.36.199 Other Types of Products
5.1.3 By Application
188.8.131.52 Dairy Products
184.108.40.206 Meat, Poultry, and Seafood
220.127.116.11 Bakery and Confectionary
18.104.22.168 Fruits and Vegetables
22.214.171.124 Other Applications
5.2 India Beverage Packaging Market Segmentation
5.2.1 By Material
5.2.2 By Type of Product
126.96.36.199 Pouches and Cartons
188.8.131.52 Caps and Closures
184.108.40.206 Other Types of Products
5.2.3 By Application
220.127.116.11 Carbonated Soft Drinks and Fruit Beverages
18.104.22.168 Wine and Distilled Spirits
22.214.171.124 Bottled Water
126.96.36.199 Energy and Sports Drinks
188.8.131.52 Other Applications
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Parekhplast India Limited
6.1.2 Essel Propack Limited
6.1.3 Pearl Polymers Ltd
6.1.4 TCPL Packaging Ltd
6.1.5 UFlex Ltd
6.1.6 Haldyn Glass Limited (HGL)
6.1.7 Piramal Glass Limited
6.1.8 HSIL Ltd
6.1.9 Hindusthan National Glass & Industries Limited
6.1.10 Hi-Can Industries Pvt. Ltd
6.1.11 Hindustan Tin Works Ltd
6.1.12 Deccan Cans & Printers Pvt. Ltd
6.1.13 Autofits Packaging Private Limited
6.1.14 P.R. Packagings Ltd
6.1.15 Parksons Packaging Ltd
6.1.16 OJI India Packaging Pvt. Ltd
6.1.17 WestRock India Private Limited
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
India Food & Beverage Packaging Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The India Food & Beverage Packaging Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of India Food & Beverage Packaging Market ?
The India Food & Beverage Packaging Market is growing at a CAGR of 29.88% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in India Food & Beverage Packaging Market ?
Parekhplast India Limited, Essel Propack Limited, Pearl Polymers Ltd, TCPL Packaging Ltd, UFlex Ltd are the major companies operating in India Food & Beverage Packaging Market .
India Food & Beverage Packaging Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the India Food & Beverage Packaging Market sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The India Food & Beverage Packaging Market research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the India Food & Beverage Packaging Market report PDF.