United States Hospital Supplies Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Forecast Data Period||2023 - 2028|
|Historical Data Period||2018 - 2021|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
United States Hospital Supplies Market Analysis
The United States hospital supplies market is expected to register a CAGR of 11.2% during the forecast period.
- The COVID-19 pandemic had a significant impact on the market growth for US hospital supplies. For instance, an article published in the National Library of Medicine (NLM) in May 2021 mentioned that sanitizers and disinfectants were crucial preventative measures against coronavirus infection, and thus these supplies witnessed a notable demand throughout the pandemic phase. Thus, these aforementioned factors demonstrate that the COVID-19 pandemic had a considerable impact on the market's growth and is expected to continue over the coming few years.
- However, with the emergence of newer variants of the virus that are still being treated, hospital supply chains are working to enable efficient delivery of patient care in the event of a recurrence or future pandemic. Thus, the hospital supplies market in the United States is expected to project stable growth in the coming years.
- The major factors driving the growth of the market include increased incidences of communicable diseases coupled with the growing public awareness about hospital-acquired infections are contributing to the overall growth of the hospital supplies market. For instance, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in 2022, each day, approximately one in 31 US patients and 1 in 43 nursing home residents contracts at least one infection in association with their healthcare, underscoring the need for improvements in patient care practices in US healthcare facilities. Thereby, the high rate of hospital-acquired infections is elevating the need for hospital supplies that can restrict the growth of infection.
- Additionally, the rise in chronic diseases such as cardiovascular diseases, cancer, and others requires extended hospital stays and surgeries. According to the American Health Association 2022, there were around 33,356,853 hospital admissions in 2022. Many of these admissions were due to chronic diseases and critical procedures like heart bypass surgery. Thus, the increasing number of hospital admissions is expected to create the need for hospital supplies and thereby boost the market in the country.
- Increasing government funds towards hospital supplies is increasing the prominence of the market within the United States. For instance, the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) published in February 2022 stated that HHS has invested USD 250 million in the United States-based manufacturing of personal protective equipment (PPE) and USD 950 million in manufacturing the supplies and equipment needed for vaccines, therapeutics, and diagnostic tests. These factors are expected to boost the market growth in the country, contributing to the overall growth of the market studied.
- Therefore, owing to the aforementioned factors, such as increased incidences of communicable diseases coupled with the growing public awareness about hospital-acquired infections, the studied market is anticipated to witness growth over the analysis period. However, stringent regulatory frameworks and the emergence of home care services are likely to impede the market growth.
United States Hospital Supplies Industry Segmentation
As per the scope of the report, hospital supplies include every medical utility product that serves both the patient and medical professional with hospital infrastructure and enhances the network and transportation between hospitals.
The United States hospital supplies market is segmented by product (patient examination devices, operating room equipment, mobility aids and transportation equipment, sterilization and disinfectant equipment, disposable hospital supplies, syringes and needles, and other types).
The report offers the value (in USD million) for the above segments.
|Patient Examination Devices|
|Operating Room Equipment|
|Mobility Aids and Transportation Equipment|
|Sterilization and Disinfectant Equipment|
|Disposable Hospital Supplies|
|Syringes and Needles|
United States Hospital Supplies Market Trends
Disposable Hospital Supplies Segment is Expected to Witness Growth Over the Forecast Period
- The disposable hospital supplies are one-time-use products, such as consumables, medical apparatus, and disposable devices, which are consumed in large figures across all hospitals. These products, such as suction catheters, bandages and wraps, exam gowns, surgical sponges, face masks, hypodermic needles, gloves, and needles, are in continuous use by all hospital professionals in any domain, from cleaning to surgical theaters, as well as administrative departments, in some cases.
- The segment growth is due to owing to the rising concern of safety and cleanliness against hospital-acquired infections, as well as maintaining hygiene across hospitals which are expected to drive market growth.
- Moreover, in April 2021, Cardinal Health was awarded a USD 57.8 million contract for the storage and distribution of 80,000 pallets of PPE to support the Strategic National Stockpile (SNS), part of the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response within United States Department of Health and Human Services. Such advancement is expected to boost market growth in the country. Hence this factor is increasing the market growth.
- Additionally, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2021, it has been stated that the number of hospital-acquired infections in acute care was around 30,389 for central line-associated bloodstream infections, 27,080 for catheter-associated urinary tract infections, and 4,833 for ventilator-associated events. Thereby, a high number of infections is elevating the need for more disposable hospital supplies in order to minimize infections and treat patients. This, in turn, is elevating the growth of the market.
- Therefore, the disposable hospital supplies segment is expected to witness significant growth over the forecast period due to the abovementioned factors.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Sterilization and Disinfectant Equipment is Expected to Dominate the Hospital Supplies Market
- Sterilization equipment is used to eliminate and disinfect life forms, such as bacteria, fungi, viruses, and other biological agents. Similarly, disinfectant equipment is used for cleaning that is suitable for sanitizing surfaces- floors, counters, etc. This type of powerful disinfectant is registered with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a hospital-level solution that kills bacteria kills pathogenic viruses, and destroys fungi.
- Hospitals are notably spending on supplies to maintain the cleanliness of equipment (such as prevention of healthcare-associated infections), surgical instruments, and staff hygiene. To avoid infections in hospital settings and home care as well, sterilization and disinfectant products are witnessing high demand among end users. This is anticipated to drive the segment's growth over the forecast period.
- In addition, as per an article published in the National Library of Medicine (NLM), published in August 2021, UTIs are a leading cause of nosocomial or hospital infections worldwide and have been estimated to cause approximately 30 % of healthcare-associated infections (HAIs) in the acute care setting in the United States, out of those HAIs, approximately 75 % are associated with an indwelling urinary catheter, which requires sterilization and disinfection. Therefore, this is anticipated to boost the growth of the market studied over the analysis period in the United States.
- Additionally, the United States Food & Drug Administration (US FDA) is continuing its efforts to support innovation in medical device sterilization. For instance, in June 2022, the FDA launched the EtO Sterilization Master File Pilot Program for premarket approval (PMA) holders of high-risk devices that enables certain changes between sterilization processes and facilities that reduce the amount of ethylene oxide concentrations used to sterilize medical devices without compromising safety and effectiveness. Thereby, these factors are expected to boost the market growth in the country, contributing to the overall growth of the market studied.
- Therefore, the sterilization and disinfectant equipment segment is expected to witness significant growth over the forecast period due to the above-mentioned factors, such as the increasing number of hospital-acquired infections.
United States Hospital Supplies Industry Overview
The United States hospital supplies market is fragmented in nature due to the presence of several companies. The competitive landscape includes an analysis of a few international as well as local companies which hold market shares and are well known, including Boston Scientific Corporation, B Braun Melsugen AG, 3M Healthcare, Cardinal Health Inc., and Medtronic PLC, among others.
United States Hospital Supplies Market Leaders
Cardinal Health Inc.
Boston Scientific Corporation
B Braun Melsungen AG
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
United States Hospital Supplies Market News
- April 2022: GE Healthcare signed a partnership with Unilabs. This partnership has been done in order to provide MRI, CT Scan, ultrasound, mammography, and X-ray machines in Portugal.
- March 2022: Cardinal Health Inc. launched one of the first surgical incise drapes combined with chlorhexidine gluconate (CHG) in order to minimize the risk of onsite surgical contamination by gram-negative bacteria. The incise is sturdy, breathable, and provides a sterile surface to avoid any further contamination.
USA Hospital Supplies Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Increasing Incidences of Communicable Diseases
4.2.2 Growing Public Awareness about Hospital Acquired Infections
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Stringent Regulatory Framework
4.3.2 Emergence of Home Care Services
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size by Value – USD million)
5.1 By Product
5.1.1 Patient Examination Devices
5.1.2 Operating Room Equipment
5.1.3 Mobility Aids and Transportation Equipment
5.1.4 Sterilization and Disinfectant Equipment
5.1.5 Disposable Hospital Supplies
5.1.6 Syringes and Needles
5.1.7 Other Products
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Cardinal Health Inc.
6.1.2 Boston Scientific Corporation
6.1.3 B Braun Melsungen AG
6.1.4 3M Company
6.1.5 Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc
6.1.6 Baxter International Inc.
6.1.7 Becton, Dickinson and Company
6.1.8 Medtronic PLC
6.1.9 Johnson & Johnson
6.1.10 GE Healthcare
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
USA Hospital Supplies Market Research FAQs
What is the current United States Hospital Supplies Market size?
The United States Hospital Supplies Market is projected to register a CAGR of 11.2% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
Who are the key players in United States Hospital Supplies Market?
Cardinal Health Inc., Boston Scientific Corporation, B Braun Melsungen AG, 3M Company and Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc are the major companies operating in the United States Hospital Supplies Market.
United States Hospital Supplies Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 United States Hospital Supplies market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. United States Hospital Supplies analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2023 to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.