|Study Period:||2018 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The retort packaging market was valued at USD 4.11 billion in 2020 and is expected to register a CAGR of 7.12% over the forecast period (2021-2026). With the outbreak of COVID 19, the retort packaging manufacturers have been facing supply chain disruptions, along with the decreased manufacturing at the site in various parts of the world. Companies such as Amcor, Tetra Pak have been continuing their operation by taking the precautionary measure to meet the demand of the retort packaging industry.
- The thermal sterilization of low-acid food products has been a prevalent means of preserving food and is the basis of the evolution of retort packaging. The ease and adaptability of the retort packaging technology resulted in rapid growth of the market.
- Convenience is a major differentiating factor in packaging solutions. Recent innovations in retort packaging have emphasized reducing the overall weight of the materials, without compromising the packaging quality. This emphasis on weight reduction has received wide appreciation and is expected to be extensively adopted by the industry.
- The drastic rise in the number of packaged food products occupying shelf-space in the market, which has boosted the demand for packaged food products, further.
- The consumer goods companies are increasingly depending on packaging solutions, to gain a competitive edge in the market. Consumers are demanding products that have extended shelf life and are easy to use, which, in turn, is driving the companies to develop alternative packaging solutions
Scope of the Report
In the retort packaging method, food is filled into a metal can or pouch, sealed, and then heated to significantly high temperatures, rendering the product commercially sterile. Retort processing takes place when a non-sterile product is filled in a hermetically sealed, non-sterile packaging.
The market is segmented by different types of packaging made from various materials that are used in various end-user industries, such a food and beverage, among others, across the world. The material type segmentation is based on the market value of pouches, as these are sub-segments of pouches.
|Food Grade Cast Polypropylene|
|Other End Users|
|Middle East and Africa|
Key Market Trends
Beverages to Witness Significant Growth Rate
- Flexible packaging solutions, such as retort packaging, play a crucial role in reducing waste and allows online brands to innovate their packaging to enhance the e-commerce experience. There is a high demand for retort packaging in the beverage sector due to factors, such as ease of handling and reduced production and shipment costs.
- Made from heat-resistant laminated plastic, retort pouch packaging, a form of flexible packaging, plays a crucial role in ensuring the reduction of beverage and product waste while allowing online brands to innovate their packaging to enhance the e-commerce experience at the same time.
- Lightweight packaging material is essential for beverages, particularly in pouches. The improving designs of pouches increased their applications, attracting more consumers for purchasing fruit drinks, nutraceuticals, meal replacement shakes, fiber supplements, and cold-pressed juices.
- However, the quality of beverages is affected by pH, storage temperature, pressure, and contaminants' presence. Retort pouch packaging sterilizes beverages by preserving the quality and safety of beverage products with pH levels between 4.0 and 7.0 without using preservatives. Companies are increasingly employing packaging products with properties, such as barrier resistance (to heat, moisture, and bacteria) and to eliminate possible oxidation.
- Consumers are becoming increasingly conscious of health and wellness. From juice in the morning to energy drinks, consumers now are spending more on products that provide refreshments that are well within the wellness trend. This has created a high demand for cost-effective packaging solutions in the beverage segment.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America is Expected to Hold Significant Market Share
- Increase in urban population, busy work life, growing single households, and increasing spending power of the population have boosted the growth of readymade, which are normally packaged in stand-up retort pouches, thereby, also acting as key drivers for the growth of the retort pouch industry.
- Retort packaging has been rapidly gaining popularity, as it is a highly convenient and portable packaging solution. Many shoppers in the country prefer flexible, stand-up pouches over traditional, rigid packaging. Consumers have driven demand for stand-up pouches exponentially over the past decade, whether for snack food, beverage, baby food, or industrial oils and lubricants.
- In the United States, the Department of Health and Human Services regulates food, pharmaceutical, and nutraceutical products consumed by humans and animals. This is done through either the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the US Department of Agriculture (USDA). The regulation used for retort packages is quite demanding under the highest temperatures and requires the materials and processes to be listed under FDA regulation 21 CFR 177.1390.
- Growing adoption of flexible packaging techniques across numerous industries including retail, pharmaceutical, food and beverage, and pet food is propelling the use of retort pouches in Canada.
- In the country, about 75% of the food supply comes from packaged, processed food items. Also, there is a change in eating habits, and the country is witnessing an increase in consumption of ultra-processed, ready-to-consume foods, which are typically energy-dense with high fat, sugar, and sodium content. These food are mostly packed in retort pouch as it provides an effective technique for packaging food products that require extended shelf life.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The retort packaging market is highly competitive and consists of several major players. In terms of market share, few of the major players currently dominate the market. However, with innovative and sustainable packaging, many of the companies are increasing their market presence by securing new contracts and by tapping new markets.
- March 2021 - Amcor Ltd, in collaboration with Mars, announced the supermarket roll-out of recyclable microwavable rice pouches in the United Kingdom, leveraging Amcor’s AmLite HeatFlex technology. The announcement was closely followed by the initial collaboration between the two companies in December 2020 to create a recyclable retort material in a stand-up pouch format that complies with food standards.
- October 2020 - Constantia Flexibles changed its composition of the Executive Committee. This followed a change in the operating structure where the production facilities are clustered along with technology and main material groups. At the same time the sales unit remained focused on consumer and pharma markets.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Growing Demand for Lightweight and Compact Packaging Materials
4.2.2 Sustained Growth in the Packaged Food Industry
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Higher Capital Investments and Raw Material Recycling Issues
4.4 Industry Attractiveness – Porter’s Five Force Analysis
4.4.1 Threat Of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power Of Suppliers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power Of Consumers
4.4.4 Threat Of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.5 Assessment of COVID-19 Impact on the Industry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Packaging Type
5.1.4 Other Types
5.2 Material Type
5.2.3 Aluminum Foil
5.2.4 Paper Board
5.2.6 Food Grade Cast Polypropylene
5.2.7 Other Materials
5.3 End User
5.3.3 Other End Users
5.4.1 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
5.4.3 Asia Pacific
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia Pacific
5.4.4 Latin America
22.214.171.124 Rest of Latin America
5.4.5 Middle East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles*
6.1.1 Amcor, Ltd
6.1.2 Constantia Flexibles
6.1.3 Clifton Packaging Group Limited
6.1.4 Clondalkin Industries BV
6.1.5 Coveris Holdings SA
6.1.6 Flair Flexible Packaging Corporation
6.1.7 Mondi PLC
6.1.8 Tetra Pak International S.A
6.1.10 Sonoco Product Company
6.1.11 Winpak Ltd
6.1.12 Sealed Air Corp.
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Retort Packaging Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Retort Packaging Market?
The Retort Packaging Market is growing at a CAGR of 7.12% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Retort Packaging Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Retort Packaging Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Retort Packaging Market?
Amcor, Ltd, Constantia Flexibles, Clondalkin Industries BV, Tetra Pak International SA, Mondi PLC are the major companies operating in Retort Packaging Market.