Europe Beauty and Personal Care Products Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Market Size (2023)||USD 127.57 Billion|
|Market Size (2028)||USD 149.40 Billion|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||3.21 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Europe Beauty and Personal Care Products Market Analysis
The Europe Beauty and Personal Care Products Market size is expected to grow from USD 127.57 billion in 2023 to USD 149.40 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 3.21% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
- Increased health awareness among consumers boosts the demand for natural personal care products. With the growing demand for organic ingredients, consumers are inclined toward organic personal care products, which is expected to drive market growth during the study period. Furthermore, the rising awareness about the harmful effects of chemicals and synthetic products is another factor augmenting the market's growth. Most consumers tend to buy products with natural or organic labeling, driving the market growth.
- Additionally, companies are reaching out to consumers through various distribution channels, such as online and other channels. For instance, in February 2022, United Kingdom-based online fashion retailer Boohoo Group Plc launched a vegan beauty range of more than 50 products. Boohoo Beauty's cosmetics line includes lip gloss, lipstick, highlighter sticks, blush, setting sprays, and cosmetic palettes.
- Consumer behavior towards maintaining a quality life makes Europe a potential market for innovations and launches in the beauty and personal care industry. Moreover, consumers in the region increasingly prefer items made with natural components. This change can be associated with consumers intentionally avoiding chemical-based products like sulfates and parabens, leading to hair problems, including frizz, flaky scalps, and split ends.
- For instance, in January 2021, the Estée Lauder Companies Inc. (Aveda), the plant-powered hair care brand, announced that all of its hair care, hair color, body care, makeup, and aroma products are 100% vegan in response to the growing demand for cruelty-free hair care products. Also, prominent cosmetics companies are developing products, including deodorants with zero artificial bactericides, to capture the growing demand for natural and organic products.
- Moreover, companies are focusing on offering these products fortified with vitamin E, aloe, chamomile, and other natural ingredients. The increasing demand for organic products through online stores for bio-cosmetic products is also expected to boost the growth of natural and organic beauty and personal care products
Europe Beauty and Personal Care Products Market Trends
Increasing Demand For Organic/Natural Beauty and Personal Care Products
- Beauty and cosmetic products are currently inundated with numerous harmful ingredients and toxic chemicals. Around 90% of the roughly 13,000 chemicals used in cosmetic products were not Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved in 2020.
- Moreover, several tests conducted by organizations and associations indicated that the presence of catastrophic heavy metals, such as lead, beryllium, thallium, and cadmium, are bragged as potential carcinogens and lead to serious health risks, including cancer, infertility, and Alzheimer’s disease. Considering this factor, consumers are increasingly shifting to natural alternatives to avoid using conventional products on their bodies. This has suddenly raised the demand for organic personal and cosmetic products in the market.
- The region has witnessed an increasing demand for natural and organic products due to the rise in consumer awareness about the harmful effects of certain compounds, such as paraben and aluminum compounds, in skincare, haircare, and deodorants. A high percentage of European consumers choose one brand over others based on its natural formulation. This has increased the demand for safe, natural, and organic products in the last few years.
- The demand for natural ingredients has been quite evident in the market, leading to most companies launching natural-inspired products, such as vegan ingredients, plant-inspired, and premium botanical ingredients coupled with multi-functional properties. For instance, in October 2021, the Ayurvedic skincare and wellness brand Forest Essentials launched in the United Kingdom for the first time. Available on LookFantastic, an online British beauty boutique, the brand prides itself on creating ethical and sustainable traditional Indian skincare and wellness products.
- Consumers' growing awareness of health and hygiene has resulted in demand for natural and organic products in the region. Such factors have compelled manufacturers to improve their product offerings to meet changing consumer requirements. Companies are focusing on offering products that contain vitamins, aloe, chamomile, and other ingredients. Furthermore, the increasing popularity of organic concept stores specializing in organic cosmetics products among consumers is expected to further boost the demand and growth of organic and natural beauty and personal care products in Europe.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Germany Holds the Largest Share
- Germany is the largest cosmetic market in Europe, followed by France and the United Kingdom. The German cosmetics and toiletries market is mainly driven by women and younger consumers willing to spend more money on such offerings. Hair, skin, and face care products are the three categories with the highest turnover.
- Furthermore, the demand for child skin care products is expected to increase in Germany as consumers are taking extra care to protect the delicate skin of babies and children against extended exposure to sun rays. Among adults, the demand for skin care products depends heavily on the weather conditions. However, many consumers take a more holistic approach, paying more attention to ultraviolet levels and their possible impact on skin health and aging.
- Additionally, the players operating in the market are focusing on developing innovative lines or products to cater to the growing demand to achieve major market shares. For instance, in 2021, Beiersdorf personalized face care with the launch of its new brand, O.W.N (Only What’s Needed), which uses ingredients that are specially formulated for individualized skin care needs. The launch focuses on personalized skin care innovations based on individual needs and scientific findings.
- Many prestigious brands in Germany have strengthened their position by acquiring smaller companies, thus driving the market. For instance, according to the Federal Statistical Office, the domestic and international revenue of the industry for the production of body care products and fragrances in Germany was EUR 3,580.1 (USD 4223 million) and EUR 2,560.08 million (USD 3020 million) in 2022.
- Moreover, companies are reaching out to consumers through various distribution channels, such as online channels, supermarkets/hypermarkets, convenience stores, and other distribution channels. Amazon is by far the biggest online store in Germany. Approximately 50% of the all-beauty brands in the country have online stores, and some also operate through Amazon stores.
- Online shopping is expanding beyond the desktop, as supermarket operators like Edeka and Rewe have rolled out app development for younger and busier consumers. Furthermore, the manufacturers are leveraging online platforms optimally by selling their products through their websites as well as by listing the products on popular e-retailing websites to improve their brand visibility and reachability of products.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Europe Beauty and Personal Care Products Industry Overview
Europe's beauty and personal care market is highly competitive, with a considerable number of regional and global players. The major players in Europe's beauty and personal care market include Loreal, Unilever, Procter & Gamble, Estee Lauder Companies Inc., and Johnson & Johnson Services Inc. Product launches with multifunctional properties under each segment are a major strategy the regional companies followed. Also, product innovation has been a prominent strategy among manufacturers where companies are mostly interested in delivering products that have a mixture of anti-aging and skin corrections. The global giants are expanding their distribution by launching their products on various online portals to increase their consumer base. The major players are acquiring small firms to expand their market.
Europe Beauty and Personal Care Products Market Leaders
Procter & Gamble Co
Johnson & Johnson Services Inc.
Estee Lauder Companies Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Europe Beauty and Personal Care Products Market News
- June 2021: The Colgate Palmolive Sanex brand developed a shower gel, bath foam, and deodorant range using pre- and post-biotics to support skin microbiome. The BiomeProtect was launched in the United Kingdom and several EMEA markets, including France, Spain, Italy, Denmark, and South Africa. The BiomeProtect range is formulated with what Sanex labeled the "Triple Biotic Complex," a blend of inulin, butyl, and post-biotic biomimetics that work through various mechanisms to balance and optimize the skin microbiome.
- March 2021: Procter & Gamble (P&G) launched a refill format that uses 60% less plastic on some of their most popular shampoo brands in the United Kingdom. The format includes a reusable aluminum bottle and refillable pouches, including a flexible plastic packet and a rigid plastic neck. P&G uses this format to accommodate some of the Aussie, Head & Shoulders, Herbal Essences, and Pantene product lines in the United Kingdom.
- February 2021: Beiersdorf launched a new brand, O.W.N, in the category of face care products. The brand launched by the company only uses ingredients specially formulated for individualized skin care needs. With its innovative O.W.N face care brand, Beiersdorf is now explicitly responding to consumers’ growing desire for personalized skin care. The new brand is being launched in key European markets with a simple routine: facial cleansing plus daycare and evening facial cleansing plus night care. O.W.N uses artificial intelligence and is built around a proprietary algorithm that brings together Beiersdorf’s profound 140 years’ of skincare expertise and consumer knowledge
Europe Beauty and Personal Care Products Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Personal Care Products
126.96.36.199 Hair Care Products
188.8.131.52.3 Hair Oil
184.108.40.206.4 Other Hair Care Products
220.127.116.11 Skin Care Products
18.104.22.168.1 Facial Care Products
22.214.171.124.2 Body Care Products
126.96.36.199.3 Lip Care Products
188.8.131.52 Bath and Shower
184.108.40.206.1 Shower Gels
220.127.116.11.3 Bath Salts
18.104.22.168.4 Other Bath and Shower Products
22.214.171.124 Oral Care
126.96.36.199.1 Toothbrushes and Replacements
188.8.131.52.3 Mouthwashes and Rinses
184.108.40.206.4 Other Oral Care Products
220.127.116.11 Men's Grooming Products
18.104.22.168 Deodrants and Antiperspirants
5.1.2 Cosmetics/Make-up Products
22.214.171.124 Facial Cosmetics
126.96.36.199 Eye Cosmetic Products
188.8.131.52 Lip and Nail Make-up Products
5.2 Distribution Channel
5.2.1 Specialist Retail Stores
5.2.3 Convenience Stores
5.2.4 Pharmacies/Drug Stores
5.2.5 Online Retail Channels
5.2.6 Other Distribution Channels
5.3.1 Mass Products
5.3.2 Premium Products
5.4.2 United Kingdom
5.4.7 Rest of Europe
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 L'Oreal SA
6.3.2 Unilever PLC
6.3.3 Procter & Gamble Company
6.3.4 Johnson & Johnson Services Inc.
6.3.5 Estee Lauder Companies Inc.
6.3.6 Beiersdorf AG
6.3.7 Revlon Inc.
6.3.8 Shiseido Company, Limited
6.3.9 Oriflame Cosmetics Global SA
6.3.10 Natura & Co.
6.3.11 Colgate-Palmolive Company
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Europe Beauty and Personal Care Products Market Research FAQs
How big is the Europe Beauty and Personal Care Products Market?
The Europe Beauty and Personal Care Products Market size is expected to reach USD 127.57 billion in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 3.21% to reach USD 149.40 billion by 2028.
What is the current Europe Beauty and Personal Care Products Market size?
In 2023, the Europe Beauty and Personal Care Products Market size is expected to reach USD 127.57 billion.
Who are the key players in Europe Beauty and Personal Care Products Market?
L'Oréal S.A., Procter & Gamble Co, Unilever PLC, Johnson & Johnson Services Inc. and Estee Lauder Companies Inc. are the major companies operating in the Europe Beauty and Personal Care Products Market.
Europe Beauty and Personal Care Products Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Europe Beauty and Personal Care Products market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Europe Beauty and Personal Care Products analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.