Blockchain in Sports Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Fastest Growing Market
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Blockchain in Sports Market Analysis
Blockchain in Sports Market revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of 9.0% over the next five years. Blockchain technology in sports is also applied at the ticketing level as a more accessible and secure way to purchase, store, or even transfer tickets between owners or events.
- Blockchain technology is gaining traction in the sports market. To increase fan engagement and monetize their fan base, several clubs and teams at the highest levels are deploying blockchain-based solutions and customizing blockchain use cases in sports. Accepting this kind of innovation is more critical for clubs' survival at a time when the COVID-19 epidemic severely impacted ticket sales revenue.
- The NBA projects such as Top Shot, NFL's blockchain project, and others have acquired massive acceptance among fans. Digital Sports collectibles or the sports NFT industry have been assisted by the collaboration and partnership of NFT and the sports industry to grow. It is also positively impacting the sports industry.
- Prominent sports clubs (Manchester City, Barcelona, PSG) and leagues worldwide already use blockchain technology in their digital strategies. Blockchain use cases in sports allow teams to unlock profitable income streams and develop new ways to engage with fans. In September last year, the Football governing body FIFA was set to launch a new NFT (non-fungible token) collection ahead of the World Cup in Qatar.
- With digitalization, blockchain technology entered the sports betting industry and is on its way to changing or evolving it drastically. Blockchain technology in sports is slowly taking over the sports gambling market.
- Due to COVID-19, the Blockchain in the Sports market was impacted negatively. For Instance, The Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) had planned to sell tickets to its 2020 tournament through Blockchain. A blockchain-based mobile app would have enabled the UEFA to sell tickets to fans in many countries with a higher level of security than conventional ticketing methods. During the COVID-19 pandemic, blockchain technology was used in the tournament aimed to sell a million tickets through the app. (The contest was postponed to 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.)
Blockchain in Sports Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Blockchain in Sports Market according to our research experts:
Managing fans engagment platfroms using blockchain is expected to dive growth for the market
- Blockchain technology in the sports industry is opening up innovations and revenue streams in many ways, from fan tokens and digital collectibles to fan loyalty and engagement platforms.
- Blockchain technology offers numerous innovation opportunities, including data insights, smart contracts, tickets, and tokens. For Instance, Sequoia Games Chooses Algorand to Reimagine NBA Gaming for Next Generation Sports Fans engagement.
- Sports clubs and organizations can benefit from new technologies like blockchain by implementing more secure and transparent ticket exchange markets. A mobile ticketing system based on Blockchain Technology will ensure transparency and security for clubs and fans.
- Blockchain technology is used in the fan loyalty and engagement platform, which will drive new growth opportunities for the market. The fans use these blockchain-based platforms to reward for taking specific actions, such as interacting with clubs sites, creating, sharing, and liking content, or through loyalty programs. It allows them to accumulate rewards or points to spend on merchandising tickets or digital collectibles.
- According to KPMG, Blockchain technology and cryptocurrency investments are growing by USD 14.2 billion in H1-2022, which is expected to drive new growth opportunities in the sports market.
North America is Expected to Hold a Largest Market Share
- North America is expected to hold a significant share of the blockchain in the sports market. The digital systems and blockchain networks may present to monetize fan engagement further and attract sports industry sponsors. These significant factors contribute to blockchain growth in the sports market.
- The rising adoption of cryptocurrencies and digital tokens across North America is expected to drive new growth opportunities for blockchain in the sports market. For Instance, FIFA (International Federation of Association Football) agreed to a sponsorship and technical collaboration agreement with blockchain technology startup Algorand. According to the agreement terms, Algorand will become FIFA's official blockchain platform and supply the official blockchain-supported wallet solution. According to the sponsorship deal, Algorand will be a FIFA World Cup Qatar of the last year's Regional Supporter in North America and Europe and an Official Sponsor of the FIFA Women's World Cup Australia and New Zealand this year.
- Blockchain technology is used in the sports industry at the ticketing level as a more accessible and secure way to purchase, store, or even transfer tickets between owners or events. Blockchain can switch their access without paying penalty fees or losing money, making for a much more efficient user experience. As the data on the blockchain is immutable, no one can falsely claim to have bought a ticket or dispute a price. Blockchain-based ticketing systems eliminate the possibility of counterfeit tickets as they can be instantly validated by blockchain technology. Adopting blockchain technology in sports will drive and bring new market growth opportunities.
- The appeal of fan tokens comes from their capacity to significantly boost involvement while generating new revenue sources for clubs. Fans may purchase tickets using FIAT currencies like dollars, pounds, and euros and exchange them for merchandise, collectibles, or exclusive interactions like a VIP "meet the player" experience. Blockchain technology in sports issues their virtual currencies. Fans can interact with the club, and the players, earn points, get discounts, and participate in a virtual ecosystem.
Blockchain in Sports Industry Overview
Blockchain in the Sports market is moderately consolidated, with a few prominent companies. The companies continuously invest in strategic partnerships and product developments to gain market share. Some of the current advancements in the market are:
- February 2022 - Juventus established a multi-year global agreement with Socios.com to develop its cryptocurrency. The blockchain-based fan interaction platform will issue a new cryptocurrency known as the Juventus Official Fan Token for the Serie A champions as part of the agreement. The collaboration is part of the club's efforts to use blockchain technology to improve worldwide fan involvement and grow its global audience, particularly outside Europe. The club includes around 60 million social media followers and an estimated 340 million international supporters.
Blockchain in Sports Market Leaders
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Blockchain in Sports Market News
- September 2022 - FIFA is glad to announce the FIFA+ Collect introduction, allowing football fans worldwide to acquire unique digital collectibles inexpensively; Algorand powers FIFA+ Collect. FIFA+ Collect is a new platform allowing fans to own and collect FIFA World Cup and FIFA Women's World Cup moments.
- May 2022 - FIFA collaborated with blockchain technology company Algorand to agree on a sponsorship and technical partnership deal. According to the agreement, Algorand will be a FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Regional Supporter in North America and Europe and an Official Sponsor of the FIFA Women's World Cup Australia and New Zealand 2023. Blockchains enable non-editable data to be permanently stored and disseminated over digital networks while promoting innovation and assuring secure, untampered exchange of value and assets such as non-fungible tokens (NFTs) and through blockchain-enabled wallets holding digital assets.
Blockchain in Sports Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Aggressive Spending by Venture Capitalists
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Scalability Constraints
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Source Type
6.1.1 Media Rights
6.1.2 Gate/Ticket Sales Revenues
6.2 By Geography
6.2.1 North America
6.2.3 Asia Pacific
6.2.4 Latin America
6.2.5 Middle East and Africa
7. NON-FUNGIBLE TOKENS MARKET LANDSCAPE
7.1 Cryptocurrency Impact Analysis
7.2 Market Distribution (Sports v/s Others)
7.2.1 Distribution of sales within Sports segment
7.3 NFTs in Sports Industry Use Cases
8. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
8.1 Company Profiles
8.1.1 Dappler Labs
8.1.2 NBA Top Shot
8.1.6 NFT Stars
8.1.8 Nifty Gateway
- *List Not Exhaustive
9. BLOCKCHAIN TECHNOLOGY STACK COMPETITIVE INTELLIGENCE - COMPARISON MATRIX
9.1 Application Layer
9.2 Services Layer
9.3 Network and Protocol
9.4 Infrastructure Layer
10. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
11. FUTURE OUTLOOK OF THE MARKET
Blockchain in Sports Market Research FAQs
What is the current Blockchain in Sports Market size?
The Blockchain in Sports Market is projected to register a CAGR of 9% during the forecast period (2024-2029)
Who are the key players in Blockchain in Sports Market?
Algorand, Globatalent, Dappler Labs, Rarible and Blockasset are the major companies operating in the Blockchain in Sports Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Blockchain in Sports Market?
Asia-Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2024-2029).
Which region has the biggest share in Blockchain in Sports Market?
In 2024, the North America accounts for the largest market share in Blockchain in Sports Market.
What years does this Blockchain in Sports Market cover?
The report covers the Blockchain in Sports Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Blockchain in Sports Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Blockchain in Sports Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Blockchain in Sports market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Blockchain in Sports analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.