|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Global Plasterboard Market was valued at over 8,435.04 million meter square in 2020, and the market is projected to register a CAGR of more than 5% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The outbreak of COVID-19 is likely to bring several short-term and long-term consequences in the construction industry. According to The Associated General Contractors of America (AGC), there were disruptions to work or canceled projects and less demand for “non-essential” projects, like offices, entertainment, and sports facilities. Moreover, the performance of the construction sector is projected to be temporarily affected due to a negative impact on the liquidity of money as a result of the affected income of a relatively larger section of society. Besides, the disrupted supply of raw materials and labor are some of the major factors which have affected the construction activities during 2020. However, as the lockdowns were lifted in most countries around the world, and residential sales picking up is an encouraging sign.
- The demand for plasterboards has witnessed an increase from the construction sector, owing to superior quality, low cost, and ease of installation.
- The finished board offers unique properties, such as insulation to sound and heat, impact resistance, and resistance to moisture accumulation in bathrooms and kitchens.
- Strong demand for dry construction methods, over wet methods, and rising demand for fire-resistant construction materials are augmenting the growth of the market.
- Lack of awareness among residential end users and low availability of plasterboard waste disposal plants are likely to hinder the market growth.
- Emerging lightweight plasterboards are projected to act as an opportunity for the market, in the future.
Scope of the Report
Plasterboard is essentially an inner layer of gypsum that is sandwiched between two outer layers of lining paper, with various additives added to the gypsum layer while varying the additives, weight, and strength of the lining paper. The market is segmented by form consisting of square-edged and tapered. The market is segmented by types such as damp-proof plasterboard, fire-resistant plasterboard, impact-resistant plasterboard, insulated plasterboard, moisture-resistant plasterboard, sound-insulated plasterboard, standard plasterboard, and thermal plasterboard. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the Plasterboard Market in 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (million-meter square).
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from the Residential Industry
- The increasing middle-class population, coupled with their increasing disposable income, has facilitated the expansion in the middle-class housing segment, thereby increasing the use of plasterboard during the forecast period.
- Despite the higher demand, there is still a significant under-supply to meet the demand for housing globally. This is presenting a major opportunity for investors and developers to embrace alternative methods of construction and new partnerships in order to bring forward development.
- The highest growth is expected to be registered in the Asia-Pacific region due to the expanding housing construction market in China and India. Asia-Pacific has the largest low-cost housing construction segment, which is led by China, India, and the Southeast Asia countries.
- According to the National Statistics Bureau of China, around 154,567 units of households were sold in December 2020 compared to nearly 140,000 units in December 2019.
- Whereas in the United States, in January 2021, private-owned single-family housings that finished construction were more than 1 million units compared to 942 thousand units in 2020 January.
- In India, the government initiated a project called ‘Housing for All by 2022’, which is expected to immensely drive the low-cost residential construction segment in the country throughout the forecast period.
- Due to the increasing middle-class population and residential buildings construction, coupled with government initiatives and investments, the demand for plasterboard in the residential sector across all the regions is expected to increase during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
The Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- In Asia-Pacific, China is the largest economy in terms of GDP. The growth in the country remains high, but it is gradually diminishing, as the population is aging and the economy is rebalancing from investment to consumption, manufacturing to services, and external to internal demand.
- China’s construction industry developed rapidly due to the central government’s push for infrastructure investment to sustain economic growth.
- According to the National Bureau of Statistics of China, the construction output value in the country increased from CNY 9.6 trillion in 2010 to CNY 24.84 trillion in 2019. Though there is a slow down in the market's growth because of COVID-19, the market is surging after the relaxation of the lockdown. It is expected that the construction output value may surge by near 14%.
- Despite the volatile growth in the real estate sector, the significant development of rail and road infrastructure by the Chinese government to withstand the growing industrial and service sectors has resulted in significant growth of the Chinese construction industry in recent years. As the construction industry is dominated by state-owned enterprises, the increased government spending is boosting the industry in the country.
- The China New Urbanization project 2014-2020 has also been initiated by the government in order to provide social housing to migrants, as well as expand the existing urban facilities in major cities.
- India is likely to witness an investment of around USD 1.3 trillion in housing over the next few years, during which the country is likely to witness the construction of 60 million new homes. The availability of affordable housing is expected to rise around 70%, by 2024, in India.
- Overall, the market studied is projected to increase at high rates, owing to the rapid growth of the construction industry in the country in the region.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The global plasterboard market is consolidated among the top players, with the top five players accounting for a major chunk of the market. Key players in the plasterboard market include Etex Group, National Gypsum Services Company, Saint-Gobain, Georgia-Pacific, and AWI Licensing LLC.
In November 2020, Knauff's Plasterboard, a Plasterboard company in Australia, was acquired by Etex Group.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Strong Demand for Dry Construction Methods over Wet Methods
4.1.2 Ease of Installation and Replacement
4.1.3 Demand for Fire-resistant Construction Materials
4.2.1 Lack of Awareness among Residential End Users
4.2.2 Lack of Availability of Plasterboard Waste Disposal Plants
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.2.1 Damp-roof Plasterboard
5.2.2 Fire-resistant Plasterboard
5.2.3 Impact-resistant Plasterboard
5.2.4 Insulated Plasterboard
5.2.5 Moisture-resistant Plasterboard
5.2.6 Sound-resistant Plasterboard
5.2.7 Standard Plasterboard
5.2.8 Thermal Plasterboard
5.3 End-use Sector
18.104.22.168 South Korea
22.214.171.124 ASEAN Countries
126.96.36.199 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.2 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 NORDIC Countries
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
5.4.4 South America
22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
5.4.5 Middle East & Africa
126.96.36.199 Saudi Arabia
188.8.131.52 South Africa
184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle East & Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share/Ranking Analysis**
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 AWI Licensing LLC
6.4.2 Ahmed Yousuf & Hassan Abdullah Co. (AYHACO GROUP)
6.4.3 ATISKAN STRUCTURE AND INDUSTRIAL GYPSUM PRODUCTS INDUSTRY. VE TIC. Inc.
6.4.4 Etex Group
6.4.5 Fletcher Building
6.4.9 Gyptec Iberica
6.4.10 Jason Plasterboard Co. Ltd
6.4.12 Mada Gypsum
6.4.13 National Gypsum Services Company
6.4.14 ECPlaza Network Inc.
6.4.16 USG Boral
6.4.18 JN Linrose
6.4.19 American Gypsum
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Emerging Lightweight Plasterboards
7.2 Other Opportunities
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Plasterboard Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Plasterboard Market?
The Plasterboard Market is growing at a CAGR of >5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Plasterboard Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Plasterboard Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Plasterboard Market?
Etex Group, Saint-Gobain, Georgia-Pacific, AWI Licensing LLC, National Gypsum Services Company are the major companies operating in Plasterboard Market.