Membranes for Water and Wastewater Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market||Asia Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Membranes for Water and Wastewater Market Analysis
The Membrane Water and Wastewater Treatment Market size is expected to grow from USD 10.86 billion in 2023 to USD 15.38 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 7.20% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
The COVID-19 outbreak brought several short-term and long-term consequences in various industries, food and beverage processing, chemicals power, and other end-user industries, affecting the market.
- One of the major factors driving the market is the rising demand for low-pressure membrane technologies.
- However, poor fouling resistance of nanoporous membranes is likely to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- Municipal Industry dominated the market whereas the food & beverage industry is expected to grow at the highest rate during the forecast period.
- Lack of access to safely managed drinking water in some countries is anticipated to provide numerous opportunities over the forecast period.
Membranes for Water and Wastewater Market Trends
Municipal Industry to dominate the Market
- Municipal wastewater is the water draining from toilets, showers, sinks, bathrooms, washing machines, dishwashers, and liquid industrial waste. Municipal wastewater should be treated before releasing it into the environment to avoid damage to the environment and the spreading of harmful diseases.
- The major applications of treatment technologies include preliminary treatment, primary and secondary treatment, tertiary treatment, biological nutrient removal (BNR), resource recovery, energy generation, and others.
- In China, there are approximately 1,944 municipal wastewater treatment plants in city/urban regions and 1,599 municipal wastewater treatment plants in counties. These facilities have daily processing capacities of 140 and 29 million cubic meters, respectively. In line with the 14th Five-Year Plan (FYP), China has introduced new guidelines for wastewater reuse, aiming to increase the proportion of treated sewage to reuse standards to 25% by 2025.
- In Mexico, out of the total 6,425 water and wastewater treatment plants, there are a total of 2,477 municipal wastewater treatment plants in the country. Furthermore, Stormwater Treatment Area 1 West Expansion project involves the construction of water treatment facilities on 2,509 ha of land in Florida, the United States, with an investment of USD 170 million.
- Construction commenced in Q4 2021 and is expected to finish by Q3 2023. The project aims to remove excess phosphorus and other nutrients from water flowing into the refuge and other parts of the greater Everglades and improve water quality. It will also increase the treatment capacity of water quality facilities by 50%.
- The Government of India has been focusing majorly on the treatment and recycling of water and wastewater in the country, which is creating a market opportunity for membrane water and wastewater treatment. Dwindling natural water resources in major cities, like Bangalore and Chennai, is one of the major reasons behind this trend.
- Such trends are likely to propel the demand for membrane water and wastewater treatment over the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the membrane water and wastewater treatment market globally during the forecast period. Due to the increase in the urban population throughout China, 70% of the nation's population is expected to reside in cities by 2030. As the urban population increases, they also face an influx of wastewater and sludge.
- Currently, 80% of sludge in China is improperly dumped, an increasingly controversial environmental issue that has urban centers scrambling to decrease pollution by improving their wastewater treatment plants (WWTPs).
- In June 2022, China Everbright Water, an environmental protection company specializing in water environment management, successfully secured the expansion and upgrading project for the Zhangdian East Chemical Industry Park Industrial Wastewater Treatment in Zibo City, Shandong Province. This project will be implemented under a build-operate-transfer (BOT) model, with a planned daily industrial wastewater treatment capacity of approximately 5,000 m3.
- Further, in India, according to the central pollution control board (India), the country currently generates around 72.36 billion liters per day (BLD) of urban wastewater, and only 28% (20.23 BLD) is treated.
- Furthermore, in the Union Budget 2022, the Government of India announced a package of INR 60 lakh crore (USD 7.27 billion) to provide drinkable water to every household, thus, boosting the demand for water treatment in the country.
- The sewage penetration rate in Japan is 76%, with the country generating more than 2.2 million tons of sewage sludge on a dry basis. Nearly 80% of sewage sludge is recycled and reused, with material recycling in the form of ingredients for cement.
- South Korea has successfully achieved a sewage penetration rate of over 92% through the implementation of the 1st National Sewage Comprehensive Plan (2007-2015), which involved the continuous expansion of sewage treatment facilities. Furthermore, the government's Water Environment Management Master Plan (WEMMP) for 2016-2025 is expected to further enhance water treatment initiatives in the country.
- Hence, such trends in the region will contribute to the growth of the membrane water and water treatment market during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Membranes for Water and Wastewater Industry Overview
The global membrane water and wastewater treatment market is highly fragmented. Some of the major players (not in any particular order) include Alfa Laval, Xylem, Koch Separation Solutions, Veolia, and SUEZ, among others.
Membranes for Water and Wastewater Market Leaders
Koch Separation Solutions
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Membranes for Water and Wastewater Market News
- May 2023: Xylem completed the acquisition of Evoqua Water Technologies LLC, which is a global provider of various products and technologies for water and wastewater treatment. Through this acquisition, Xylem aims to expand its global reach.
- March 2023: NX Filtration BV signed an agreement with GreenTech Environmental which is an advanced water treatment and wastewater recycling company in China, to develop a full-scale water treatment plant by using direct nanofiltration (dNF) membrane technology offered by NX Filtration BV for pure and affordable water.
Membranes for Water and Wastewater Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Rising Demand for Low-pressure Membrane Technologies
4.1.2 Increasing Water Pollution
4.1.3 Stringent Regulation Regarding Water Treatment
4.2.1 Poor Fouling Resistance of Nano porous Membranes
4.2.2 Non-Compliance with Regulations by Emerging Countries
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Value)
5.1.1 Microfiltration (MF)
5.1.2 Ultrafiltration (UF)
5.1.3 Nanofiltration (NF)
5.1.4 Reverse Osmosis (RO)
5.2 End-User Industry
5.2.2 Pulp and Paper
5.2.4 Food and Beverage
5.2.7 Other End-User Industries
184.108.40.206 South Korea
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
188.8.131.52 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
184.108.40.206 Saudi Arabia
220.127.116.11 South Africa
18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 ALFA LAVAL
6.4.2 Aquatech International LLC
6.4.3 Asahi Kasei Corporation
6.4.4 AXEON Water Technologies
6.4.6 Koch Membrane Systems, Inc.
6.4.8 NX Filtration BV
6.4.9 Pall Water
6.4.11 TORAY INDUSTRIES, INC.
6.4.12 TOYOBO CO., LTD.
6.4.14 VONTRON TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Growing Usage of Membrane Bio-reactors
7.2 Lack of Access to Safely Managed Drinking Water
Membranes for Water and Wastewater Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Membrane Water And Wastewater Treatment Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Membrane Water And Wastewater Treatment Market?
The Membrane Water And Wastewater Treatment Market is growing at a CAGR of 7.20% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Membrane Water And Wastewater Treatment Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Membrane Water And Wastewater Treatment Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2022.
Who are the key players in Membrane Water And Wastewater Treatment Market?
SUEZ, ALFA LAVAL, Koch Separation Solutions, Veolia, Xylem are the major companies operating in Membrane Water And Wastewater Treatment Market.
Membranes for Water and Wastewater Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Membranes for Water and Wastewater market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Membranes for Water and Wastewater analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.