Desalination System Market Size
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|CAGR||> 10.00 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market||Middle East and Africa|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Desalination System Market Analysis
The desalination system market is expected to register a CAGR of over 10% during the forecast period.
COVID-19 negatively impacted the market in 2020. It restricted the operating activities of several industries, including the power and petrochemical industries. Implementing stringent lockdown measures, partial or complete, led to a halt of industrial operations. However, the sector has been recovering well since restrictions were lifted. Recuperating industrial activities supported by restored supply chains and operating rates, growing residential and commercial spaces, and increasing population have been leading the positive demand fundamentals for desalination systems over the last two years.
- Over the short term, increasing demand from the Middle East and North Africa due to the lack of fresh water supply and the growing demand for industrial wastewater treatment at the global level are major factors driving the growth of the market studied.
- However, RO membrane fouling and environmental repercussions of desalination are the key factors anticipated to restrain the growth of the target industry over the forecast period.
- Nevertheless, the potential integration of desalination with renewable energy and the growing adoption of hybrid desalination technologies are likely to create lucrative growth opportunities for the global market soon.
- Middle East and Africa emerged as the largest market for desalination system. Meanwhile, Asia-Pacific is expected to witness the highest growth rate during the forecast period.
Desalination System Industry Segmentation
A desalination system is a process of purifying seawater to remove salt and minerals and make it appropriate for industrial and human usage. Reverse osmosis is mostly used for this, forcing salt water through membranes that let water molecules through but block salt and mineral molecules. The desalination system market is segmented by the technology of separation, application, and geography. By the technology of separation, the market is segmented into thermal technology (multi-stage flash distillation (MSF), multi-effect distillation (MED), and vapor compression distillation) and membrane technology (electrodialysis (ED), electrodialysis reversal (EDR), reverse osmosis (RO), and other membrane technologies (nanofiltration, ultrafiltration, and microfiltration)). By application, the market is segmented into municipal, industrial, and other applications (leather, defense). The report also covers the size and forecasts for the desalination system market in 16 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done based on revenue (USD million).
|Technology of Separation|
|Other Applications (Leather, Defense)|
Desalination System Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Desalination System Market according to our research experts:
Municipal Application to Dominate the Market
- Municipal applications accounted for a major share of the desalination system market globally.
- The global population is predicted to reach 11.2 billion people by 2100. While population levels are expected to increase at the fastest rate in emerging regions, water shortages will also be felt in industrialized countries - including developed countries such as the US, Canada, and the UK.
- According to the International Water Association, freshwater produced from seawater desalination currently meets about 1% of global requirements. Thus, companies like Veolia support municipalities and industries worldwide in implementing appropriate desalination strategies.
- Veolia constructed the Qidfa desalination plant in Fujairah, UAE, which produces 590,000 m3/day of desalinated water for municipal applications. As of 2021, the company had a total treatment capacity of approximately 13 million m3/day at more than 2,300 sites in 108 countries across the world.
- In India, the Jal Jeevan Mission - Har Ghar Jal, by Ministry of Jal Shakti the total number of tap water connections in households has increased from 6,21,86,731 in December 2020 to 8,73,16,015 by December 2021.
- According to the Government of Dubai: Dubai Electricity and Water Authority, the consumption of desalinated water in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates accounted for 125,685 million imperial gallons in 2020 which increased to 128,606 million imperial gallons in 2021.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Middle East and Africa Dominates the Market
- The Middle East and Africa emerged as the largest market for desalination systems. The demand for desalination systems in the region is mainly due to the growing demand for desalinized water for drinking and industrial and agricultural use.
- In addition to this, growing population, rapid urbanization, and limited availability of surface water have increased in countries such as Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Iran, Kuwait, Oman, and South Africa, among others; this has, in turn, increased the consumption of fresh water, which is driving the demand for desalination systems in the region.
- Saudi Arabia has the world's largest desalination capacity and accounts for around 1/5th of the global desalination capacity. Scarce freshwater resources and growing water consumption from the residential and agricultural sectors have increased the demand for desalinized water in the country.
- In addition, as a Vision for 2030, the government plans to increase the percentage of desalinated water production, by providing better opportunities for partnerships with the private sector, which in turn, is expected to increase the demand for desalination systems during the forecast period.
- The UAE's power consumption is increasing, and the government relies only on electricity to deliver drinkable water through desalination. According to the Government of Dubai: Dubai Electricity and Water Authority, in 2021, the total consumption of electricity by the commercial sector of the emirate of Dubai in the United Arab Emirates exceeded approximately 24.2 terawatt-hours and the residential sector accounted for approx 14.9 terawatt- hours. The number of electricity consumers in Dubai exceeded one million consumers in the same year.
- According to The World Bank Group , the population in the Middle East and North Africa accounted for 472,494,995 in 2021. According to IMF, Egypt had the highest growth in population in 2021 of 102.61 million inhabitants. The increasing population is a major reason for putting the current water supply under stress thereby creating higher need for desalination systems.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Desalination System Industry Overview
The desalination system market is highly fragmented in nature. The major players (not in any particular order) include Veolia, Doosan Enerbility, Aquatech International LLC, Fisia Italimpianti SpA, and IDE Water Technologies., among others.
Desalination System Market Leaders
Aquatech International LLC
Fisia Italimpianti SpA
IDE Water Technologies.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Desalination System Market News
- In July 2022, TotalEnergies and Veolia signed an agreement to start the construction of the largest solar photovoltaic (PV) system to provide power for a desalination plant in Oman, in the city of Sur.
- In April 2022, Veolia Water Technologies, a subsidiary of the Veolia group and leading specialist in water treatment, announced the Asia Pacific launch of the Barrel, an integrated plug-and-play reverse osmosis (RO) technology. The Barrel produces fresh water that complies with all water quality regulations while meeting the demands and expectations of the desalination market.
- In August 2022, Doosan Enerbility signed a contract with Shuaibah Three Water Desalination Co., a special purpose company established by ACWA Power, to construct the Shuaibah 3 seawater desalination plant to build a seawater desalination plant worth JPY 840 billion (USD 633 billion) in Saudi Arabia. This project involves building a reverse osmosis (RO) seawater desalination plant about 110 km south of Jeddah City.
Desalination System Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Demand from Middle-East and North Africa
4.1.2 Growing Demand for Industrial Wastewater Treatment at a Global Level
4.2.1 RO Membrane Fouling
4.2.2 Environmental Repercussions of Desalination
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Value)
5.1 Technology of Separation
5.1.1 Thermal Technology
18.104.22.168 Multi-stage Flash Distillation (MSF)
22.214.171.124 Multi-effect Distillation (MED)
126.96.36.199 Vapor Compression Distillation
5.1.2 Membrane Technology
188.8.131.52 Electrodialysis (ED)
184.108.40.206 Electrodialysis Reversal (EDR)
220.127.116.11 Reverse Osmosis (RO)
18.104.22.168 Other Membrane Technologies (Nanofiltration, Ultrafiltration, Microfiltration)
5.2.3 Other Applications (Leather, Defense)
22.214.171.124 South Korea
126.96.36.199 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
184.108.40.206 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
220.127.116.11 Saudi Arabia
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.3 Aquatech International LLC
6.4.4 Biwater Holdings Limited
6.4.6 Doosan Enerbility
6.4.8 Evoqua Water Technologies LLC
6.4.9 Fisia Italimpianti SpA
6.4.10 Hyflux Ltd.
6.4.11 IDE Water Technologies
6.4.12 Ocean Oasis
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Potential Integration of Desalination with Renewable Energy
7.2 Growing Adoption of Hybrid Desalination Technologies
Desalination System Market Research FAQs
What is the current Desalination System Market size?
The Desalination System Market is projected to register a CAGR of greater than 10% during the forecast period (2023-2027).
Who are the key players in Desalination System Market?
Veolia, Doosan Enerbility, Aquatech International LLC, Fisia Italimpianti SpA and IDE Water Technologies. are the major companies operating in the Desalination System Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Desalination System Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2027).
Which region has the biggest share in Desalination System Market?
In 2023, the Middle East and Africa accounts for the largest market share in the Desalination System Market.
Desalination System Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Desalination System market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Desalination System analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.