Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The market for desalination systems in India is likely to register a CAGR of more than 3% during the forecast period.
- The major factor driving the market's growth is the rising gap between water supply and demand in the country. The increasing population also escalated the demand for pure water supply in India. Hence, this factor is expected to drive the market’s growth.
- However, the high cost of water treatment plants and the growing environmental concerns regarding the use of desalination systems are expected to restrain the market’s growth during the forecast period.
- The use of desalination systems for the municipal segment is projected to have a significantly higher share in the market.
Scope of the Report
The Indian desalination systems market is segmented by technology and application. By technology, the market is segmented into thermal technology and membrane technology. By thermal technology, the market is segmented into multi-stage flash distillation, multi-effect distillation, and vapor compression distillation. By membrane technology, the market is segmented into electrodialysis, electrodialysis reversal, reverse osmosis, and other membrane technologies. By application, the market is segmented into municipal and industrial. The report offers market size and forecasts for the market in revenue (USD million) for the segments mentioned above.
Key Market Trends
Rising Demand from the Municipal Segment
- India is witnessing a dire water shortage, especially drinking water, as present sources (both surface and groundwater) are becoming increasingly strained. The water consumption rate in the country is continuously increasing every year.
- According to a report published by the Planning Commission of India in 2020, the average annual per capita water availability in the country declined to 1,486 cubic meters in 2021. It may continue to decline to 1,367 cubic meters in 2031.
- Thus, municipalities have taken up the responsibility to treat seawater and generate potable water so that people can get access to clean drinking water.
- In February 2021, the Mumbai Municipal Corporation, also known as Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), announced its plans to set up a desalination plant with 200 MLD per day to overcome the water shortage in the city. The plant is estimated to be operational by 2025.
- According to the Minister for Municipal Administration, in Chennai, there are two ongoing desalination projects. The plan with a capacity to treat 150 MLD at Nemmeli will be completed by 2023 to benefit 9 lakh people. Another plant with a capacity of 400 MLD will be completed by 2025, which will provide water to 22 lakh people in the city.
- All these factors are expected to drive the Indian desalination systems market during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Membrane Technology to Dominate the Indian Market
- In India, the market share of reverse osmosis technology constituted about 30% of the water purifier market in 2021.
- Nanofiltration membranes are used significantly to reduce the odor, color, and hardness and separate heavy metal ions from water systems.
- In India, all the major desalination plants, such as the Minjur plant, Nemmeli Seawater Desalination Plant, and Mumbai desalination plant, are all based on membrane technology, indicating market domination in the country.
- In the Union Budget 2022, the Government of India announced a package of INR 60 lakh crore to provide drinkable water to every household, thus boosting the demand for desalination systems.
- In 2022, the bottled water segment’s revenue is expected to be USD 5,764 million, with the average volume per person amounting to 17.4 L.
- The demand for drinking water in India is projected to be 73 billion cubic meters in 2025. It is anticipated to reach 102 billion cubic meters by 2050, thus requiring membrane technology for efficient results.
- Thus, rising demand for water from various industries, coupled with government support, is expected to drive the Indian desalination systems market during the forecast period.
The Indian desalination systems market is partially consolidated. Some of the players (not in any particular order) include Suez SA, Veolia Environnement SA, Aquatech International LLC, IDE Technologies Ltd, and Ion Exchange.
- In January 2022, SUEZ and Veolia agreed on a merger, with Veolia acquiring the shares of SUEZ. The final proceedings were due to be completed in February 2022.
- In June 2021, IDE Water Technologies signed a Seawater Desalination Plant Project agreement with the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) to develop, build, and operate a 200 MLD desalination plant, which is expandable to 400 MLD, in Mumbai.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Rising Gap Between Water Supply and Demand
4.1.2 Lack of Existence of Water Infrastructure
4.2.1 High Cost Compared to Water Treatment Plant
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Technological Landscape
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Thermal Technology
22.214.171.124 Multi-stage Flash Distillation (MSF)
126.96.36.199 Multi-effect Distillation (MED)
188.8.131.52 Vapor Compression Distillation
5.1.2 Membrane Technology
184.108.40.206 Electrodialysis (ED)
220.127.116.11 Electrodialysis Reversal (EDR)
18.104.22.168 Reverse Osmosis (RO)
22.214.171.124 Other Membrane Technologies (Nanofiltration, Ultrafiltration, and Microfiltration)
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.2 Aquatech International LLC
6.4.4 Evoqua Water Technologies
6.4.5 Hitachi Ltd
6.4.6 IDE Technologies Ltd
6.4.7 Ion Exchange
6.4.8 Suez SA
6.4.9 Thermax Limited
6.4.10 VA Tech Wabag Ltd
6.4.11 Veolia Environnement SA
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Potential Integration of Desalination with Renewable Energy
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The India Desalination Systems Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of India Desalination Systems Market?
The India Desalination Systems Market is growing at a CAGR of >3% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in India Desalination Systems Market?
Suez SA, Veolia Environnement SA, Aquatech International LLC, IDE Technologies Ltd, Ion Exchange are the major companies operating in India Desalination Systems Market.