Thumbnail

Europe Orange Market - Growth, Trends and Forecasts (2020 - 2025)

Looking to buy the report?

Europe Orange Market

Europe is the second major market for oranges due to the increasing demand for orange juice in the region. Spain is the largest producer of orange fruit in the region, followed by Italy and Greece.

In Europe, orange production is concentrated in the Mediterranean region. Spain and Italy account for 80% of Europe’s orange production, with the remaining 20% being distributed among the other EU-28 countries Portugal, Greece, and Cyprus. The total area under orange cultivation in Europe is about 267,255 hectares. The region holds 28.9% of the share in the global orange export market, which is valued at USD 1.3 billion.

In 2015, EU-28 orange production was valued at 6.1 million metric tons, with an increment of 2.5% compared to the previous year. Tangerine production has decreased in recent years, reaching 2.9 million metric tons due to the decrease in volume from the expected producing regions in Spain and Italy. The production of the orange in Europe is projected to show a little change due to the increase in production in Italy and Greece despite the decline in production in Spain. Europe’s total import of orange was about 800 million tons in 2015-16, with the leading suppliers being South Africa and Egypt, followed by Morocco, Uruguay, and Argentina. The total export of orange amounted to 300 million tons. In Europe, the domestic consumption of fresh orange amounts to 5,254 million tons, while the oranges used for processing amounted to 1,353 million tons.

Europe Orange Market Segmentation

The orange fruit is categorized into three types- mandarins/ tangerines, grapefruit and lemons and limes. Tangerines are the major orange type produced in Europe, Spain being the major producer. Spain is the world’s leading exporter of orange, with around 149,971 hectares of arable land devoted to orange cultivation. The majority of the Spanish orange is exported to other countries such as Germany, France, and the UK. Among the orange varieties, those currently produced in Spain are Navelina, which accounts for 45% of the total, followed by Washington Navel, which represents 12% of the sweet orange produced. Spain has had significant success with its seedless Clementine varieties. The production of processed orange has declined in Europe from 12.6 to 9.5 kg per capita, while the per capita consumption of processed orange has doubled to 28 kg.  Bitter orange accounts for less than 1% of the total production. Increased consumption of processed orange in Europe is one of the primary factors for the expanded global market of orange.

Key Players in the European Orange Market

The major trading companies for oranges in the Europe are Agrofortex Corp, Gourmet oranges, Terrabona, and Gold Scorpion S.L., among others.  These companies are actively participating in the entire value chain from sourcing, shipping and logistics management to marketing and distribution, placing significant emphasis on the quality of the orange.

The Europe orange market report covers the following information –

  • Orange production
  • European consumption
  • European trade (export-import) scenario and statistics
  • Major enterprises and traders operating in the market
  • Price trend and seasonality of the crop
  • Future outlook of the crop market

Stakeholders who would benefit -

  • Orange growers
  • Enterprises providing agricultural inputs
  • Traders and companies operating in the segment
  • Crop processing companies
  • Crop importers and exporters
  • Investors/research institutions interested in the crop market

Looking to buy the report?

Want some specific customizations?

Our clients include:

prev-arrow
next-arrow

Looking to Customize Report?

Please Enter Email ID

Please Enter Message