2016 - 2026
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Global Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Resin Market was estimated at over 80 million tons in 2020 and the market is projected to register a CAGR of over 5% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market was negatively impacted due to COVID-19. Owing to pandemic scenario, several countries went into lockdown, which led to supply chain disruptions, labour shortages, and work stoppages. Owing to this various end-user industries such as electrical & electronics, consumer goods, food & beverage, and others were severly impacted. This had an negative impact on the demand of polyethylene terephthalate resin. The global automotive production was estimated to fall by around 17% in 2020 compared to the previous year, majorly due to the COVID-19 pandemic, however, various other factors have also affected the production. According to the OICA, automobile production declined by 23% in the first three quarters of 2020. However, the condition is expected to recover in 2021, thereby restoring the growth trajectory of market studied.
- Over the short term, growing food and beverage industry, increase in PET collection and recycling rates in Europe, and demand for sustainable and recyclable materials, are driving the market's growth. The food industry has been witnessing robust growth in the Asia-Pacific and Middle-East and African regions. The rising income levels and the increasing population levels are the primary factors that have been driving the growth of the food industry in these regions. Moreover, with huge scope for growth in these regions, new investments are being observed in the food and beverage sector, which is intended toward setting up of individual confectionaries, food processing, and beverage producing facilities.
- On the flip side, stringent regulations regarding the usage of PET and increasing usage of substitute products, such as high-density polyethylene, are expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- The shift towards flexible packaging and advent of bio-based PET are likely to act as opportunities for the market's growth in the future.
- The bottles segment accounted for the largest market share of more than 50%. Furthermore, it is estimated to register a healthy CAGR during the forecast period.
Scope of the Report
The raw materials used in the production of PET are mono ethylene glycol (MEG), purified terephthalic acid (PTA), and dimethyl terephthalate (DMT). The PET resin is processed to convert it into bottles, fibers, films and sheets, which are then used in various applications for many end-user industries, such as, food and beverage, healthcare, consumer appliances, and other end-user industries. The polyethylene terephthalate (PET) resin market is segmented by product type, end-user industry, and geography. By product type, the market is segmented by Bottles, Films & Sheets, and Others. By end-user industry, the market is segmented by Food & Beverage, Automotive, Electrical & Electronics, Healthcare, Consumer Goods, and Others, The report also offers the market size and forecasts for 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (kilo tons).
|Films & Sheets|
|Other Product Types|
|Food & Beverage|
|Electrical & Electronics|
|Other End-user Industries|
Key Market Trends
Bottles to Dominate the Market
- As polyethylene terephthalate (PET) is an excellent water and moisture barrier material, plastic bottles made from PET are widely used for: Mineral Water and Soft Drinks (Low and High Carbonated).
- Apart from the above-mentioned applications, PET bottles are also used for: Alcoholic Beverages, Agro-chemicals, Cosmetic and Pharmaceuticals, Edible Oil, etc.
- PET bottles are also recycled for various purposes. For example, they are used in solar water disinfection in developing nations, in which empty PET bottles are filled with water and left in the sun to allow disinfection by ultraviolet radiation. PET is useful for this purpose because many other materials (including window glass) that are transparent to visible light are opaque to ultraviolet radiation.
- Another niche application of PET bottles is as an Eco-Bricks in the developing countries of Asia, Africa, and Latin America.
- According to Indian Journal of Science and Technology, the PET bottles filled with sand, soil, fly-ash or any other material like a household plastic waste when well compacted can be used as a building material replacing traditional bricks.
- The strength parameters of filled plastic bottles are on a higher end as compared to traditional bricks. The eco-bricks are light in weight and possess the same thermal properties as of traditional bricks. The eco-bricks have high sound reduction index as compared to concrete blocks. Eco-bricks also do not permit light to pass through then as when seen by naked eyes.
- Owing to the investments from the polyethylene terephthalate manufacturers in Saudi Arabia, the production capacity of PET resin is expected to increase in the coming years. For instance, on January 2019, Pan-Asia PET Resin (Guangzhou) Co., one of the leading PET bottle suppliers in China had launched SAR 3.9 billion manufacturing plant in the country, which produce PET and PTA used in the packaging and fabric industries. Such investments are likley to boost up the demand for PET resins in bottle segment.
- All the aforementioned factors, in turn, are expected to increase the demand for the PET resin market during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The PET market in the Asia-Pacific region is driven by the factors, such as population growth, the rise in disposable income, urbanization in developing economies, and growing demand for fast-moving consumer goods.
- China accounted for more than 15% of the global market and the demand is expected to grow drastically during the forecast period.
- China is a major producer of PET resins with the PetroChina Group and Jiangsu Sangfangxiang among the global largest manufacturers in terms of volume, with capacities of more than 2 million tons.
- The use of engineering plastic products in the packaging sector (PET containers, bottles, etc.) is increasing at a tremendous rate, owing to their advantages over the conventional packaging plastics used. The demand from industries like food and beverage, consumer goods, and others for packing materials is increasing in China, owing to the increasing exports, as well as domestic consumption.
- China's food and beverage consumption has evolved dramatically over the past 40 years, and gradually transformed from an industry-driven to a consumption-driven market. Revenue in the Food & Beverages segment of China is projected to reach USD 176,857 million in 2021 and is expected to show an annual growth rate (CAGR 2021-2025) of over 8 %, resulting in a projected market volume of USD 244,055 million by 2025.
- The Asia-Pacific electronic industry grew rapidly in the recent past, owing to the high demand from countries, like India and China. China is a strong, favorable market for electronics producers, owing to the country’s low labor cost and flexible policies. Also, the Indian electronics market is expected to reach USD 400 billion by 2025. Additionally, India is expected to become the fifth-largest consumer electronics and appliances industry in the world by 2025.
- All the aforementioned factors, in turn, are expected to increase the demand for the PET resin in the region during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The global PET resin market is a semi-consolidated market. The major players in the market include Indorama Ventures Public Company Limited, Alpek SAB de CV, Sinopec Group, Far Eastern New Century Corporation, and CR Chemical Materials Technology Inc., among others.
- In Jan 2019, FENC US JV completed the acquisition of the M&G PTA/PET plant in Texas, the United States.
- In Dec 2018, Indorama Ventures entered into a joint venture and acquired the integrated PTA-PET assets in Corpus Christi, Texas, the United States, and M&G Chemicals, along with Alpek and FENC.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Food and Beverage Industry
4.1.2 Increase in PET Collection and Recycling Rates in Europe
4.1.3 Demand for Sustainable and Recyclable Materials
4.2.1 Stringent Regulations Regarding the Usage of PET
4.2.2 Increasing Usage of Substitute Products
4.2.3 Negative Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic
4.3 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Volume)
5.1 Product Type
5.1.2 Films & Sheets
5.1.3 Other Product Types
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.1 Food & Beverage
5.2.3 Electrical & Electronics
5.2.5 Consumer Goods
5.2.6 Other End-user Industries
126.96.36.199 South Korea
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 Rest of North America
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
126.96.36.199 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
188.8.131.52 Saudi Arabia
184.108.40.206 South Africa
220.127.116.11 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share Analysis**
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Alpek S.A.B. de C.V.
6.4.2 BY Sanfame Group (Jiangsu Sanfangxiang Group)
6.4.3 CR Chemical Materials Technology Inc.
6.4.4 Far Eastern New Century Corporation
6.4.5 Hengli Group Co. Ltd
6.4.6 Indorama Ventures Public Company Limited
6.4.7 JBF Industries Ltd
6.4.8 Lotte Chemical Corporation
6.4.10 Reliance Industries Limited
6.4.12 Sinopec Group
6.4.13 Zhejiang Hengyi Group Co., Ltd.
6.4.14 Zhejiang Zhink Group Co., Ltd.
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Advent of Bio-based PET
7.2 Shift toward Flexible Packaging
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Resin Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Resin Market?
The Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Resin Market is growing at a CAGR of >5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Resin Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Resin Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Resin Market?
- Indorama Ventures Public Company Limited
- Alpek S.A.B. de C.V.
- Far Eastern New Century Corporation
- Sinopec Group
- CR Chemical Materials Technology Inc.
Are the major companies operating in Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Resin Market.