Polyethylene Terephthalate Resin Market Size
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
|CAGR:||> 5 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Polyethylene Terephthalate Resin Market Analysis
The polyethylene terephthalate (PET) resin market is estimated to reach over 26,750 kilotons by the end of this year, and it is projected to register a CAGR of over 5%, during the forecast period.
The COVID-19 pandemic had a negative influence on the market. Several nations went into lockdowns due to the pandemic, causing supply chain problems, labor shortages, and work stoppages. Various end-user sectors, including electrical and electronics, consumer products, food and beverage, and others, were badly hit as a result of this. The demand for polyethylene terephthalate resin suffered as well. According to the OICA automobile manufacturing climbed by 3% by the end of 2021 compared to the previous year, the market is expected to recover further in 2022.
- Over the short term, the increasing consumption in food and beverage packaging, demand for energy-efficient and sustainable packaging, and high recycling rate of PET across the globe.
- On the flip side, stringent regulations regarding the usage of PET and the increasing usage of substitute products, such as high-density polyethylene, are expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- Growing awareness regarding bio-Based PET and increasing R&D activities and investments in PET technology are likely to act as opportunities for the market's growth in the future.
- Asia-pacific region is expected to dominate the market and is expected to grow with the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Polyethylene Terephthalate Resin Industry Segmentation
The raw materials used in the production of PET are mono ethylene glycol (MEG), purified terephthalic acid (PTA), and dimethyl terephthalate (DMT). The PET resin is processed to convert it into bottles, fibers, films, and sheets, which are then used in various applications for many end-user industries, such as food and beverage, healthcare, consumer appliances, and others. The polyethylene terephthalate (PET) resin market is segmented by product type, end-user industry, and geography. By product type, the market is segmented into bottles, films and sheets, and other product types. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into food and beverage, automotive, electrical and electronics, healthcare, consumer goods, and other end-user industries. The report also offers the market sizes and forecasts for 15 countries across the major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (kilotons).
|Films and Sheets|
|Other Product Types (Fibers, Thermoforming, and Glass Fiber)|
|Food and Beverage|
|Electrical and Electronics|
|Other End-user Industries|
Polyethylene Terephthalate Resin Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Polyethylene Terephthalate Resin Market according to our research experts:
Soaring Demand from the Food and Beverage Industry
- The food and beverage industry is a significant consumer of PET resins as PET-based packaging items are widely used in food and beverage packaging applications. The three major packaging applications of PET are containers (bottles, jars, and tubs), thin-oriented films (bags and snack food wrappers), and semi-rigid sheets for thermoforming (trays and blisters).
- PET-based packaging products are mainly used for take-out containers, frozen foods, carbonated drinks and juices, ketchup, bottled water, jars, and baked goods containers. They are also used in the food industry for clamshells, deli containers, and microwave food trays.
- Stringent regulations regarding food-grade packaging and food compatibility require manufacturers to use approved food-grade materials. Major food and beverage packaging manufacturers operating across the globe follow the American FDA 177.2600 standards. Moreover, multinational players engaged in exporting food products must comply with regulations set by the European EU (VO) 1935/2004, or the Chinese GB 4806 and GB 9685. Food and beverage products manufactured for global consumption must have preferred packaging approved by the Hygienic Design Standards of the EHEDG (European Hygienic Engineering and Design Group).
- The growing popularity of online food delivery systems has provoked the utilization of flexible packaging products made from lightweight materials. The demand for PET-based packaging trays, containers, bottles, and others has witnessed a significant demand across the globe.
- PET-based bottles are widely used in beverage packaging because of their lightweight, moisture, and water barrier characteristics. Moreover, microwave-compatible food trays are penetrating the processed and packaged food market because of growing consumption from the end-user group.
- In North America, the demand for packaged and preserved food is upscaling as the consumers across the region aim for fast ways to cook food. Rising preference for convenience and easy cooking methods has triggered packaged food consumption. Moreover, the demand for packaged and preserved food in 2020-2021 witnessed a sudden spike as consumers stockpiled snacks, ready-to-eat, and ready-to-cook products during the pandemic. This emergence of panic shopping has dramatically fueled the demand for packaged foods in the United States. Moreover, a high preference for fast foods and ready-to-eat meals is further likely to ascend the demand for specialty seals used in the food and beverage industry.
- In the Asia Pacific, the demand for food and beverage packaging is majorly driven by China, India, and Japan. The Japanese food industry is characterized by the food exports in packaged and preserved food category. In 2021, the Japanese food exports crossed JPY 1 trillion (~USD 9.13 billion) with major food products, including processed meat, bottled beverages, and others. Major export destinations for these packaged and processed food were the United States, China, and some economies in the European region. The government in Japan aims to achieve targets of food export revenue to JPY 2 trillion (~USD18.25 billion) by 2025 and JPY 5 trillion (~USD 45.63 billion) by 2030.
- All the aforementioned factors are expected to increase the demand in the PET resin market during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region is Expected to Dominate the Market
- The PET market in the Asia-Pacific region is driven by factors such as population growth, the rise in disposable income, urbanization in developing economies, and growing demand for fast-moving consumer goods.
- China is a major producer of PET resins, with PetroChina Group and Jiangsu Sangfangxiang being among the largest global manufacturers in terms of volume, with capacities of more than 2 million ton.
- The use of engineering plastic products in the packaging sector (PET containers, bottles, etc.) is increasing at a tremendous rate due to their advantages over conventional packaging plastics used. The demand from industries like food and beverage, consumer goods, and others for packing materials is increasing in China, owing to the increasing exports and domestic consumption.
- The Asia-Pacific electronics industry grew rapidly in the recent past due to the high demand from countries like India and China. China is a strong, favorable market for electronics producers due to the country’s low labor cost and flexible policies.
- According to IBEF, in 2022, Indian e-commerce market is predicted to increase by 21.5%, reaching USD 74.8 billion. India’s e-commerce market is expected to reach USD 350 billion by 2030.
- Indian food and beverages industry accounts for about 3% of India’s GDP and is the single largest employer in the country, with more than 7.3 million workforces.
- All the aforementioned factors are expected to increase the demand for PET resin in the region during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Polyethylene Terephthalate Resin Industry Overview
The PET resin market is a consolidated market. The major players in the market include Indorama Ventures Public Company Limited, Alpek SAB de CV, SABIC, Sinopec Group, and Far Eastern New Century Corporation, among others.
Polyethylene Terephthalate Resin Market Leaders
Indorama Ventures Public Company Limited
Far Eastern New Century Corporation
Alpek S.A.B. de C.V.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Polyethylene Terephthalate Resin Market News
- In February 2022, Alpek recently signed an agreement to acquire OCTAL Holding SAOC (“Octal”). The acquisition will help to expand Alpek's global position and increases its value-added production offerings in Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) sheets.
- In January 2022, NN, a Vietnamese PET converter, was proposed to be acquired by Indorama Ventures. The company is now in the process of obtaining shares in NN. The planned acquisition is intended to assist IVL in strengthening its market position in the packaging sector in Asia-Pacific areas with high growth.
Polyethylene Terephthalate Resin Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Consumption in Food and Beverage Packaging
4.1.2 Demand for Energy Efficient and Sustainable Packaging
4.1.3 High Recycling Rate of PET across globe
4.2.1 Stringent Regulation Associated with PET
4.2.2 Growing Use of HDPE as a substitute
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Volume)
5.1 Product Type
5.1.2 Films and Sheets
5.1.3 Other Product Types (Fibers, Thermoforming, and Glass Fiber)
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.1 Food and Beverage
5.2.3 Electrical and Electronics
5.2.5 Consumer Goods
5.2.6 Other End-user Industries
18.104.22.168 South Korea
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
220.127.116.11 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
22.214.171.124 South Africa
126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%) Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Alpek SAB de CV
6.4.2 Jiangsu Sanfangxiang Group Co. Ltd (Sanfangxiang Group)
6.4.3 CR Chemical Materials Technology Inc.
6.4.4 Far Eastern New Century Corporation
6.4.5 Hengli Group Co. Ltd
6.4.6 Indorama Ventures Public Company Limited
6.4.7 JBF Industries Ltd
6.4.8 Lotte Chemical Corporation
6.4.10 Reliance Industries Limited
6.4.12 Sinopec Group
6.4.13 Zhejiang Hengyi Group Co. Ltd
6.4.14 Zhejiang Zhink Group Co. Ltd
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Growing Awareness Regarding Bio-Based PET
7.2 Increasing R&D Activities and Investments In PET Technology
Polyethylene Terephthalate Resin Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Resin Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Resin Market?
The Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Resin Market is growing at a CAGR of >5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Resin Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Resin Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Resin Market?
Indorama Ventures Public Company Limited, Far Eastern New Century Corporation, Sinopec Group, Alpek S.A.B. de C.V., SABIC are the major companies operating in Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Resin Market.
Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Resin Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Resin market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Resin analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.