Europe Genetic Testing Market Size
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Europe Genetic Testing Market Analysis
The European genetic testing market is projected to register a CAGR of 12.45% during the forecast period.
- COVID-19 had a significant impact on the genetic testing market during the initial phases of the pandemic. Genetic testing helps identify variations that affect the response to COVID-19 and may lead to discovering new therapies that could reduce harm, save lives, and even prevent future outbreaks. In 2021, Genomtec launched the first genetic diagnostic test, SARS-Cov-2 EvaGreen Direct-RT-LAMP CE-IVD Kit, which enables the identification of SARS-CoV-2 infection from the patient’s saliva in the European Union. Thus, the demand for genetic testing has experienced suddenly spiked due to the pandemic.
- However, according to the study published in Prenatal Diagnosis in March 2021, the COVID-19 pandemic may influence pregnant women's decisions about prenatal genetic testing. Patients' access to and use of prenatal genetic tests may be impacted by the pandemic. Hence, such a restraining factor imposed an adverse impact on the market initially, however, in later times the positive developments, such as COVID-19 related product launch, helped the market to gain positive momentum, thereby propelling the market growth.
- Genetic testing has been growing at an unprecedented rate, a large panel of tests is now available to screen a number of genetic diseases. Treatment is available for several rare genetic diseases and the procedure is gaining importance in scenarios, such as carrier testing, newborn screening, predictive and pre-symptomatic testing, etc. The major factors driving the growth of the European genetic testing market include increasing emphasis on early disease detection and prevention, increasing demand for personalized medicine, and increasing application of genetic testing in oncology, among others. For instance, in February 2022, the European Commission publicized four new European Union Cancer Plan activities to help Member States address inequalities, improve Human papillomavirus infection screening and vaccination, and support cancer survivors. This is anticipated to increase the diagnosis and genetic testing of cancer in the European nations for the early detection of cancers, thereby expected to drive the growth of this market.
- Furthermore, product launches, collaborations, and agreements relating to the genetic testing field are anticipated to boost market growth in Europe over the forecast period. For instance, in February 2022, Microbiome DX company Genetic Analysis AS and Institut für Medizinische Diagnostik, a part of the Medicover Group, launched the GA-map Dysbiosis Test in Germany. IMD was likely to activate its new Microbiome laboratory in February 2022 and add standardized microbiota testing to its existing test portfolio of products. This new Microbiota test offering is anticipated to be marketed to customers in Germany and Europe. Furthermore, in October 2021, Blueprint Genetics and BioMarin collaborated to launch a sponsored testing program for individuals with skeletal dysplasia in Europe. Hence, such collaborations and product launches are anticipated to boost the genetic testing market in Europe over the forecast period.
- Therefore, due to the increasing focus on early disease detection and prevention, increasing demand for personalized medicine, and increasing application of genetic testing in oncology, the genetic testing market in Europe is anticipated to witness growth over the forecast period. However, the high cost of genetic tests and social and ethical implications associated with genetic testing are the factors, that are expected to hinder the market growth.
Europe Genetic Testing Industry Segmentation
As per the scope of this report, genetic testing is a test performed to identify the presence of a particular gene/s with a particular sequence of the genome. The gene/s can be identified either directly through sequencing or indirectly through various methods.
The European Genetic Testing market is segmented by type (carrier testing, diagnostic testing, newborn screening, predictive and presymptomatic testing, prenatal testing, other types), by disease (Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia, Duchenne muscular dystrophy, thalassemia, Huntington’s disease, other diseases), by technology (cytogenetic testing, biochemical testing, and molecular testing), and geography (Germany, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Spain, and Rest of Europe).
The report offers the value (in USD million) for the above segments.
|Predictive and Presymptomatic Testing|
|Sickle Cell Anemia|
|Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy|
|Rest of Europe|
Europe Genetic Testing Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Europe Genetic Testing Market according to our research experts:
The Diagnostic Testing Segment is Expected to Hold a Significant Share Over the Forecast Period
The diagnostics testing segment is expected to hold a significant share of the European genetic testing market owing to the factors such as the increasing emphasis on early disease detection and prevention and the rise in product launches in the European market for diagnostic genetic testing. The rise in the number of chronic diseases is also a major factor leading to market growth since early detection is likely to reduce the complications associated with the disease. For instance, according to the European Cancer Information System, the number of new cancer cases in Europe in 2035 is estimated to rise to 3.13 million. As per the same source, the new cancer cases are estimated to rise to 3.24 million by 2040. The rising incidence of cancer cases is anticipated to lead to increased diagnostic testing for cancers in Europe, thereby expected to drive this segment's growth.
Furthermore, the rising product launches for diagnostic testing are likely to lead to increased adoption of these products, thereby expected to drive the growth of this segment. For instance, in February 2021, in Europe, Becton, Dickinson, and Company introduced a new COVID-19 blood test that can assist hospitals in identifying arriving patients who are more likely to require intensive care with a ventilator and are at a higher risk of dying from the disease.
Similarly, in April 2022, Illumina Inc., a company in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies, entered into an agreement with Germany's Hannover Medical School (Medizinische Hochschule Hannover (MHH)) to implement the use of whole-genome sequencing (WGS) in critically ill children suspected of having a genetic or rare disease. The project, led by the Department of Human Genetics at MHH, is likely to evaluate the use of WGS in neonatal and pediatric intensive care unit settings to show the positive impact of earlier diagnosis and treatment for hospitalized children. Hence, the rise in product launches associated with diagnostic testing is likely to boost segment growth over the forecast period.
Hence, due to the increasing focus on early disease detection and prevention, the rise in diagnostic testing product launches, and the increase in chronic diseases that require early diagnosis, the diagnostic testing segment is anticipated to witness growth in the Europe genetic testing market over the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
United Kingdom is Likely to Witness a Significant Growth in the Market Over the Forecast Period
The United Kingdom is anticipated to witness growth in the Europe genetic testing market owing to the factors such as increasing emphasis on early disease detection and prevention, increasing demand for personalized medicine, and increasing application of genetic testing in oncology. For instance, according to the study published by the University of Manchester in November 2021, whole genome sequencing (WGS) demonstrated to find new diagnoses for persons with the greatest spectrum of rare diseases explored to date, which might have enormous implications for the National Health Service.
Furthermore, the rising benefits of genetic testing for the discovery of rare diseases are likely to lead to the rise in the adoption of genetic testing in this region, thereby expected to drive the growth of this market in the United Kingdom. For instance, in March 2022, the first UK pilot study of newborn screening for spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) was launched in Oxford. Screening is likely to be done through the routine United Kingdom's newborn blood spot screening pathway, using spare capacity from a newborn Guthrie card (dried blood spot sample).
The presence of prominent market players operational in the United Kingdom genetic testing and favorable regulatory scenarios prove advantageous for the market expansion. For instance, in September 2022, the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency-registered Orthotype tests from ExplantLab were launched at the Artificial Intelligence in Orthopaedics conference at the Royal College of Surgeons. These new genetic tests are poised to help the United Kingdom to meet its goal of becoming a 'science superpower' by 2030. Orthotype tests identify genetic markers in saliva or blood samples for specific variations of human leukocyte antigen (HLA) genes, which regulate immune responses. Hence, such product launches and collaborations are likely to raise product availability, thereby boosting market growth over the forecast period.
Furthermore, the rise in the number of chronic diseases is also a major factor leading to market growth since early detection is likely to reduce the complications associated with the disease. For instance, according to Macmillan Cancer Support 2022, the number of new cancer cases in the United Kingdom in 2025 is estimated to be 3.5 million. As per the same source, the new cancer cases are estimated to rise to 5.3 million by 2040. The rising incidence of cancer cases is anticipated to lead to increased genetic testing for cancers in the United Kingdom, thereby expected to drive market growth.
Therefore, rising initiatives on genetic testing, the increase in chronic diseases that require early diagnosis, and the rising benefits of genetic testing in rare diseases are likely to lead to increased adoption of genetic testing in the United Kingdom.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Europe Genetic Testing Industry Overview
The European Genetic Testing Market is moderately competitive and consists of several major players. Factors such as technological advancements and product innovations, mid-size to smaller companies are increasing their market presence by introducing new products with fewer prices are expected to drive the market growth. The major players operating in this market include Illumina Inc., Abbott Laboratories, Qiagen, Eurofins Scientific, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, and 23andMe Inc., among others.
Europe Genetic Testing Market Leaders
F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Europe Genetic Testing Market News
- October 2022: NHS England launched a national genetic testing service to deliver rapid life-saving checks for children and babies. As a result of the launch, patients can undergo simple blood tests. Once they are processed, the service is likely to give medical teams from across the country results within days, meaning they can kick-start lifesaving treatment plans for more than 6,000 genetic diseases.
- August 2022: Myriad Genetics partnered with Institut für Hämopathologie Hamburg and Centre Georges-Francois LeClerc to expand access to genetic testing in Europe. Collaboration brings MyChoice CDx Plus Testing to Hamburg, Germany, and Dijon, France.
Europe Genetic Testing Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Increasing Emphasis on Early Disease Detection and Prevention
4.2.2 Increasing Demand for Personalized Medicine
4.2.3 Increasing Application of Genetic Testing in Oncology
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 High Costs of Genetic Testing
4.3.2 Social and Ethical Implications of Genetic Testing
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size by Value - USD million)
5.1 By Type
5.1.1 Carrier Testing
5.1.2 Diagnostic Testing
5.1.3 Newborn Screening
5.1.4 Predictive and Presymptomatic Testing
5.1.5 Prenatal Testing
5.1.6 Other Types
5.2 By Disease
5.2.1 Alzheimer's Disease
5.2.3 Cystic Fibrosis
5.2.4 Sickle Cell Anemia
5.2.5 Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
5.2.7 Huntington's Disease
5.2.8 Other Diseases
5.3 By Technology
5.3.1 Cytogenetic Testing
5.3.2 Biochemical Testing
5.3.3 Molecular Testing
5.4.2 United Kingdom
5.4.6 Rest of Europe
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Illumina Inc.
6.1.2 Abbott Laboratories
6.1.3 23andMe Inc.
6.1.4 F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
6.1.6 Blueprint Genetics Oy
6.1.7 Eurofins Scientific
6.1.8 Centogene AG
6.1.9 Thermo Fisher Scientific
6.1.10 Elitech Group
6.1.11 Myriad Genetics Inc.
6.1.12 Danaher Corporation
6.1.13 Luminex Corporation (Diasorin SPA)
6.1.14 F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Europe Genetic Testing Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Europe Genetic Testing Market is studied from 2019 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Europe Genetic Testing Market?
The Europe Genetic Testing Market is growing at a CAGR of 12.3% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Europe Genetic Testing Market?
Abbott Laboratories, Illumina Inc., 23andMe Inc., Qiagen, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd are the major companies operating in Europe Genetic Testing Market.
Europe Genetic Testing Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Europe Genetic Testing market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Europe Genetic Testing analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.