Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Asia Pacific Personal Care Packaging Market is expected to register a CAGR of 7% during the forecast period (2021 - 2026).
The spread of COVID-19 negatively impacted the market due to disruptions in the supply chain resulting from extended factory closures globally. Logistically, it has been difficult for bottle, carton, and pump makers to provide to personal care companies. In most countries, the governments put the personal care industry under the essential commodity category, allowing them to function. Still, there is no clarity on the operation of ancillary units that make the foil, packaging material, printers, and utility consumables, like briquettes/gases (required to run boilers). Thus, in the absence of clear guidance, the local administration often does not recognize ancillary units as essential commodities and services, which hampers their operations.
- Personal care packaging is essential for the beauty and cosmetic industry since it adds to the visual appeal and increases its aesthetic value. Thus, many players continually invest in visually attractive packaging for hair care, skin care, deodorants, etc.
- Cosmetic packaging is a significant part of the personal care packaging market. The packaging in the cosmetic industry has grown significantly in recent years. The cosmetic industry has the most varied packaging requirements of all the other sectors. The materials used vary, from different metals, glass, paper, and plastics, and these materials are used to make containers with different shapes and sizes and dispensing mechanisms.
- Moreover, in Asia, the rise in disposable incomes and the growing popularity of skincare products from natural and organic ingredients will remain the primary factors driving the growth. Socio-demographic changes in the region are affecting the demand for natural ingredients for cosmetics and related products. The region's aging populations (in Korea, China, Japan, and India) increase the demand for natural ingredients with active properties, such as anti-aging.
- Furthermore, haircare brands also use packaging to their advantage, both in salons and homes. Haircare for the retail segment is highly competitive, and hair care brands rely on packaging differentiation to forge a connection with consumers.
- Further, the region is also witnessing an increase in demand for baby-care packaging. Furthermore, the government's initiatives in increasing awareness among new parents regarding child hygiene also help grow the baby personal care industry. For instance, the Maharashtrian Government in India had started distributing baby care kits to curb infant deaths. Such initiatives create awareness about infant health among the new parents and, thus, positively impact baby care products, positively impacting the market's growth.
Scope of the report
The report focuses on significant packaging types utilizing the packaging innovations across industries, such as oral care, hair care, skin care, fragrances, among others Asia-Pacific region. It further discusses various packaging products, such as plastic, glass, metal, paper, and the adoption trends. In addition, the market study also focuses on different packaging types, including Plastic Bottles and Containers, Glass Bottles and Containers, Metal Containers, Folding Cartons, Corrugated Boxes, Tube and Stick, and Caps and Closures. Further, the study also covers the impact of COVID-19 on the market.
Key Market Trends
Skin Care Accounted for The Highest Market Share
- Skincare products are growing soundly, with facial care and medical skincare witnessing a robust demand. Moreover, growth potential is also provided by anti-aging products and those intended to protect against environmental pollution. For instance, in China, the diminishing economic growth and a tangible downturn in Chinese consumers' willingness to spend leverage China's skincare sector.
- Moreover, high awareness regarding Skincare products, such as body lotion, body soap, and Moisturizer products, is expected to drive the market's growth shortly. For instance, in May 2021, Sukin, a skincare company in the Natural channel in Australia, has announced the launch of its newest facial skincare product range, the Purely Ageless line. The packaging is made with carbon neutral and grey water safe and incorporates recyclable packaging.
- In February 2021, the P&G-owned personal care and grooming brand Gillette has announced its latest venture. The new Planet KIND shave and skincare brand have partnered with Plastic Bank to limit plastic waste in the oceans.
- Further, to sustain the increasing competition and capture maximum market share in Japan, a few players are increasing their production capacities. For instance, Shiseido plans to open two new plants before 2022 in Japan, for which it has the intended investment of JPY 120 billion. Also, the company has an ongoing new plant in Otawara. Such investments are anticipated to augment the growth of skincare packaging in the country.
- Further, the investments in skincare manufacturing, coupled with the increase in R & D activities that target enhanced material capabilities, are expected to provide a strong impetus for market growth. For instance, Milott Laboratories Co, the Thai-Japanese contract manufacturer for skincare products, is planning to infuse about 500 million baht to cash in on the growing beauty industry in Thailand. The investment is being used to build a 30,000-square-metre warehouse in Bang Phli, Samut Prakan province.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
China to Account for Significant Share in the Market
- The cosmetics market in China has been one of the fastest-growing sectors in the last few years, benefitting from an increasingly engaged consumer base, augmenting the market's growth. In addition, consumer spending on cosmetics continues to grow, facilitating the trend toward adopting processed, packaged, and expensive products. Skincare and decorative cosmetics are growing soundly, with facial care and medical skincare witnessing a robust demand. Moreover, growth potential is also provided by anti-aging products and those intended to protect against environmental pollution.
- According to Tmall Innovation Center, the young women of the post-90s generation have become the most crucial consumer group driving growth in China'sChina's cosmetic sector. The post-90s age has independent consuming power, and a simultaneous surge of interest in beauty and skincare amongst this demographic has translated into significant growth. This is aiding the development of the cosmetic packaging market in the country.
- Players in the industry are strengthening their manufacturing capabilities in the country to tackle new opportunities. For instance, in 2020, Albéa, a cosmetic packaging company, is planning to begin the operations of their new manufacturing facility in China on the lookout to capitalize on the growing e-commerce opportunities.
- Also, in March 2020, AptarGroup, a global provider of a range of packaging delivery solutions based out of Illinois, United States, has planned to close two of its US-based facilities in Torrington and Stratford, as part of strategic steps in its Beauty business, to acquire 49% equity interest in China'sChina's BTY and of Fusion Packaging.
- However, in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, the effects caused by rules about lockdown and self-isolation have resulted in companies moving to source away from China and reconsidering the raw materials used in packaging. At the same time, companies such as APC Packaging have stated that their manufacturing plant in China is up and running at total capacity and has been receiving shipments regularly.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The Asia Pacific Personal Care Packaging Market is highly competitive, owing to many players in the market. As a result, the market appears to be fragmented in nature. In addition, many companies in the market are adopting strategies like product innovation, partnership, mergers, and acquisitions. Some of the key developments are:
- May 2021 - Colgate has launched their vegan-certified toothpaste that comes in a 'first-of-its-kind' recyclable toothpaste tube in India that can toss in the blue bin after the last squeeze.
- June 2020 - Manjushree Technopack Limited (MTL), a rigid plastics packaging company, has launched its new initiative "Born Again" to deliver recycled packaging material to the personal and home care Industry and support brands in their journey of creating a greener world. It is vertically integrated with the plastic waste collection ecosystem to reduce the amount of plastic waste going to landfills and deliver virgin-like quality PCR (Post Consumer Recycled) resin (PP and HDPE) to personal and home care customers.
- May 2021 - Sulapac has launched water-based beauty and personal care products packaged with a new bio-based Sulapac barrier that biodegrades without leaving permanent microplastics behind.
- March 2021 - CTK has launched CTKClip, an actual showroom for their packaging and formula innovations and an online project creation platform for customers based on different continents to offer “contactless” access to inspiration for new product ideas while speeding up time-to-market.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Increasing Consumption of Cosmetic Products
5.1.2 Increasing Focus on Innovation and Attractive Packaging
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Growing Sustainability Concerns
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION - BY MATERIAL TYPE
7. MARKET SEGMENTATION - BY PACKAGING TYPE
7.1 Plastic Bottles and Containers
7.2 Glass Bottles and Containers
7.3 Metal Containers
7.4 Folding Cartons
7.5 Corrugated Boxes
7.6 Tube and Stick
7.7 Caps and Closures
7.8 Other Product Types (Pump and Dispenser, Flexible Plastic Packaging)
8. MARKET SEGMENTATION - BY PRODUCT TYPE
8.1 Oral Care
8.2 Hair Care
8.3 Skin Care
8.5 Other Products (Depilatories, Baby and Child Care, and Sun Care)
9. MARKET SEGMENTATION - BY COUNTRY
9.5 South Korea
9.7 Rest of Asia Pacific
10. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
10.1 Company Profiles
10.1.1 Albea SA
10.1.2 HCP Packaging Co. Ltd
10.1.3 RPC Group Plc (Berry Global Group)
10.1.4 Silgan Holdings Inc.
10.1.5 Bemis Company Inc.
10.1.6 Graham Packaging Company
10.1.7 Libo Cosmetics Company Ltd
10.1.8 AptarGroup Inc.
10.1.9 Amcor Limited
10.1.10 Quadpack Industries SA
10.1.11 Rieke Packaging Systems Ltd
10.1.12 Gerresheimer AG
11. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
12. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Asia Pacific Personal Care Packaging Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Asia Pacific Personal Care Packaging Market?
The Asia Pacific Personal Care Packaging Market is growing at a CAGR of 7% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Asia Pacific Personal Care Packaging Market?
Albea SA, HCP Packaging Co. Ltd, RPC Group Plc (Berry Global Group), Silgan Holdings Inc., Bemis Company Inc. are the major companies operating in Asia Pacific Personal Care Packaging Market.