Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Asia Pacific Medical Device Packaging Market is expected to grow by registering a CAGR of 7.4% during the forecast period (2021-2026). The growing demand for medical devices owing to increased healthcare expenditure both in the public and private sector along with the stricter regulations are driving the growth of the market studied.
- Medical Device Packaging is an important factor to keep the device the device safe during distribution and throughout its shelf life. Hence, the design of packaging material and packaging type is an important step in the development of medical products.
- The packaging for medical devices is broadly categorized into Sterile Packaging and Non-Sterile Packaging. Sterile packaging is the type of packaging wherein the devices must also protect against contamination, in addition to protection against physical damage. Sterilization packaging must conform to standards and must guarantee sterility throughout the whole supply chain from production through to the operation room.
- Some medical devices such as CT scanners, X-ray machines, surgical robots, cardiovascular equipment, and ultrasound devices are sensitive and costly, hence requiring appropriate packaging for proper distribution. The growth of the medical devices packaging market is driven directly by its end-use industry, i.e., the medical devices industry. More innovations are coming up in the packaging of these devices so as to be tamper-evident and child-resistant. The industry is highly susceptible to government regulations, which in turn vary with the country.
- Furthermore, Asia-Pacific is home to some of the world's most populous countries and home to approximately 60% of the world's total population, according to United Nations. Furthermore, the region is among the prime locations for the manufacturing and sourcing of medical devices. The presence of some of the leading medical device manufacturers such as Olympus, Sonic Healthcare, Nipro, among others, are driving the demand for medical device packaging solutions in the region.
- The COVID-19 pandemic had a significant impact on most parts of the APAC region during the early month of 2020. Although the demand for medical devices increased during the period, the supply was hit hard by several restrictions imposed across the region.
- However, with the condition moving towards normalcy owing to widespread vaccinations happening across the region, the medical device packaging industry is anticipated to gain traction during the forecast period.
Scope of the report
Medical devices play a crucial role in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases as well as improving the quality of life for people suffering from disabilities. The packaging of these devices is equally important as poor packaging can cause a host of problems for both the medical device manufacturers as well as to the hospital or healthcare centers. The report provides a holistic evaluation of the market segmented by packaging type and country.
|By Packaging Type|
Key Market Trends
Plastic to hold Significant Market Share
- Medical device packaging requires control over moisture, light barriers, and childproofing. The growth of polymers in medical devices has brought a considerable transformation to the medical device packaging industry, with plastic medical devices are steadily replacing other materials such as glass, ceramics, and metals owing to the benefits such as greater flexibility and affordable price.
- Additionally, Plastic has a long life and can be used for a wide range of applications, and the cost of material used to make plastic products is less, thereby reducing the cost of manufacturing. Furthermore, plastics are resistant to corrosion and shattering, and medical-grade plastics can be designed to handle repeated sterilizations. All these advantages allow the medical device manufacturers to significantly reduce their overhead costs, benefiting both the operations and the patients by offering services at a lower cost.
- PET, HDPE, PP, and vinyl are the most common plastics used in the medical device packaging industry.
- Furthermore, the medical device packaging providers are increasing investments in developing sustainable packaging solutions owing to the growing demand and stringent regulations. For instance, in October 2021, Avient announced two additions to its MEVOPUR line of medical-grade materials. Its new Pharmapack is color and additive masterbatches based on a polyethylene (PE) carrier that is manufactured using non-fossil feedstocks. The resins have bio-based content up to 95%, as calculated to ASTM D6866 standard.
- A similar approach is expected to be adopted by major packaging providers operating in the region to fulfill the growing demand for sustainable packaging solutions for medical devices.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
China to Occupy Maximum Market Share
- China is among the leading medical device manufacturers in the world. Traditionally the Chinese medical device market has been known for low-end consumables, aids, mechanotherapy devices, wherein the country was largely dependent on foreign imports to procure high-end medical devices. However, there has been a shift towards more domestically made high-value, high-risk devices in the country lately, owing to government-backed initiatives such as "made in China."
- Along with the expanding base of the healthcare sector, China's medical device market is developing at a significant pace. One of the driving factors for the increase in demand for high-end medical devices in China is the aging population.
- According to ITA, China registered 264 million people aged 60 and above by the end of 2020, accounting for 18.7% of the total population. This demographic is expected to reach over 300 million by 2025. Additionally, the expanded medical insurance coverage also increased the demand for implants in the neurology and cardiovascular sectors, where high-value consumables are still import-dependent.
- Furthermore, the country also exports a major share of its locally manufactured devices across various regions, which is augmenting the demand for medical device packaging in the country. For instance, according to WTO, China became the largest exporter of COVID-19-critical medical products in 2020 as it exported products with a value of USD 105 billion, about 2.8 times its exports in 2019.
- The growing export volume combined with the growth of consumption of medical devices within the country is expected to drive the growth of the medical device packaging market in the country during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The medical devices packaging market is highly fragmented, with a large number of players manufacturing varieties of packaging products for medical devices across regions. At the same time, the industry is witnessing mergers & acquisitions/consolidation of packaging players, owing to pressure on the companies to reduce prices. Some of the major players operating in the region include Amcor Plc, Bemis Manufacturing Company, Berry Global Inc, and Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings.
- November 2021 - Amcor announced the opening of its greenfield packaging facility in Tuas, Singapore. Amcor's new Tuas facility comprises cleanroom manufacturing environments, capability in three-, seven- and nine-layer co-extrusion blown film, and state-of-the-art flexographic printing, which is s also fully certified to ISO 13485.
- October 2021 - ATMI partnered with Austar and opened a packaging materials plant in China. The Beijing facility will employ blown film extrusion technology to produce sterile packaging materials for active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) and medical device components.
- August 2021 - Berry Global Inc. announced its plans to establish a second manufacturing facility and global healthcare center of excellence in Bangalore, India. The new facility will enable the company to extend its R&D expertise and scale up production in several key healthcare sectors: ophthalmic, nasal pumps, inhalation, and injectable administrations. The increased capacity will also enhance supply in India and throughout South Asia, addressing some of the fastest growing healthcare market geographies.
- June 2021 - China's National Medical Products Administration's (NMPA, formerly CFDA) revised Regulations on the Supervision and Administration of Medical Devices came into effect. The objectives of the latest revised version of Regulations on the Supervision and Administration of Medical Devices are to improve the quality, safety, and reliability of medical devices and to implement risk management during the entire lifecycle of medical devices.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Industry Policies
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growing Medical devices market
5.1.2 Increasing awareness among the people towards better packaging
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Market pressure to reduce costs
5.3 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Packaging Type
6.1.1 Plastic Containers
6.1.2 Glass Containers
6.1.5 Wrap Films
6.1.6 Paper Cans
6.2 By Country
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Amcor Plc
7.1.2 Bemis Manufacturing Company
7.1.3 Berry Global Inc.
7.1.4 DuPont de Nemours, Inc.
7.1.5 WestRock Company
7.1.6 SDG Pharma
7.1.7 Sonoco Products Company
7.1.8 Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings
7.1.10 Technipaq Inc.
7.1.11 Steripack Group
7.1.12 CCL Industries Inc.
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The APAC Medical Devices Packaging Market market is studied from 2019 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of APAC Medical Devices Packaging Market?
The APAC Medical Devices Packaging Market is growing at a CAGR of 7.4% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in APAC Medical Devices Packaging Market?
Amcor Plc, Bemis Manufacturing Company, Berry Global Inc., DuPont de Nemours, Inc., Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings are the major companies operating in APAC Medical Devices Packaging Market.