US Frozen Food Packaging Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
US Frozen Food Packaging Market Analysis
The United States Frozen Food Packaging Market is anticipated to register a CAGR of 6.4% over the forecast period (2021 - 2026). The emergence of the COVID-19 pandemic has significantly changed people's purchasing preferences. Frozen Foods have been a great example of this trend. Consumers are increasingly buying frozen foods for breakfast, lunch, and supper, as they provide convenience from preparing three meals a day. Also, according to a survey done by Food Industry Association and American Frozen Food Institute, the sector has grown significantly over the past year, with revenues increasing by around 21% in 2020 and volume increasing by over 13%.
- The majority of the consumers of frozen food products have preferred large retail stores, supermarkets, and hypermarkets for their purchases. Organized retail stores have been are a significant part of larger retail chains, having a huge presence in the market. The growth in the organized retail chain is translating directly into the demand for food packaging solutions in the frozen food industry.
- Moreover, packaging for frozen food products such as meat, poultry, and seafood are among the fastest-growing products among frozen food applications. Multiple large food packaging companies in the country are investing hugely in creative packaging.
- Further, the rapid growth in urbanization and changing lifestyle has significantly shifted consumer preference towards frozen products requiring lesser time for cooking. Also, the increase in the female working population and changes in family dynamics has increased the consumption of frozen food, thereby driving the growth of the market.
- Additionally, technological innovations, including improved designs to store, protect, and promote the product, have been playing a vital role in boosting the demand for frozen packaging for food. Various value-added features such as zippers, notches, and the use of graphics are further anticipated to drive the market's growth.
- For instance, in Mar 2020, Sonoco Products Company collaborated with Tellus, which is a packaging company in the United States, launched a sugarcane-based fiber bowl. The bowl was the first product launched by the company, which was a 100% sugarcane-based fiber bowl that can be used for refrigerated, prepared, and frozen foods. The fiber bowl was branded as Natrellis and was dual-ovenable, PFAS-free, and introduced as an alternative to the traditional rigid plastic packaging.
US Frozen Food Packaging Industry Segmentation
Frozen food packaging primarily helps in preserving food from the time it is prepared to the time it will be eaten. Frozen food packaging also helps in maintaining the original color, flavor, and texture and generally more of their nutrients as compared to foods being preserved by other methods. Mostly, fruits and vegetables, meat, and seafood, frozen desserts, and ice creams, baked goods are packaged in bags, boxes, tubs and cups, trays, wrappers, and pouches.
|By Type of Food Product|
|Fruits and Vegetables|
|By Type of Packaging Product|
US Frozen Food Packaging Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the US Frozen Food Packaging Market according to our research experts:
Bags are Anticipated to Account for a Major Market Share
- Multiple factors such as changing lifestyle, convenience, among others, have been instrumental in increasing the demand for bags for the packaging of frozen foods. In the United States, the growing adoption of freezer bags has increased the growth of the frozen food packaging market. For instance, according to the U.S. Census data and Simmons National Consumer Survey (NHCS), around 177.9 million Americans made use of plastic-based freezer bags in 2020.
- Plastic bags are made available in different sizes and shapes and offer multiple benefits, such as the ability to tolerate temperatures, and technical advantages, which is further fuelling the demand for plastic material bags in the frozen food packaging market.
- As the COVID-19 pandemic spreads and its humanitarian effect grows, companies that have been assisting in providing necessary amenities, such as providing food, among other vital commodities to the customers securely, have been increasingly impacted. The demand for certain types of packaging, such as bags, has been increasing, owing to their increasing usage in e-commerce shipments.
- The consumers in the United States are increasingly purchasing food items on the Internet as well., and this trend is anticipated to continue over the forecast period, significantly increasing the demand for bags packaging solutions that can securely transport food items via complicated distribution routes.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Growing Demand for Frozen Food Products is Expected to Drive the Market
- The major categories of frozen packaged food items have been meat, poultry, and frozen processed food. Some of the emerging categories in the sector include frozen ready-to-eat foods. The food's storage life can be extended significantly by making the storage temperatures colder. The consumer's expectations of food quality are also on the rise.
- There has been an increase in the frozen food packaging category, with the consumer appreciating the product quality. With the growth in the economy and changing lifestyles, there has been an increased demand for frozen food packaging in the United States, and the market is anticipated to grow significantly over the forecast period.
- Moreover, based on numerous significant variables, that includes the frozen food makers supplying the customers' nutritional demands, the American Frozen Food Institute projects that frozen food products will continue to grow further. Right from plant-based meals to immunity-boosting foods to customized nutrition, frozen food product innovations demonstrate that there is something for everyone in the freezer case that speaks to today's diverse lives.
- Further, the demand for frozen food packaging products is generally driven by the millennial customers in the country, as they showcase an ardent preference for single-serving and on-the-go style foods and beverage foodstuffs.
US Frozen Food Packaging Industry Overview
The United States Frozen Food Packaging Market is significantly competitive owing to the presence of multiple domestic and international players. The market is moderately concentrated, with major players adopting strategies such as product innovation, mergers, and acquisition to expand their reach and launch better products in the market. Some of the major players operating in the market are Amcor plc, Genpak LLC, Pactiv Evergreen, Graham Packaging Company, Inc., among others.
- January 2021 - Crown Holdings Inc., which is a Pennsylvania-based metal packaging technology business, announced that it plans to build a USD 145 million aluminum can manufacturing facility in Henry County (United States). In the Commonwealth Crossing Business Centre, the business will construct a 355,000-square-foot plant to manufacture aluminum cans.
US Frozen Food Packaging Market Leaders
Graham Packaging Company, Inc.
Ball Corporation Inc
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
US Frozen Food Packaging Market News
- Jun 2021 - Amcor Flexibles North America announced that it had installed a blown film line at its Wisconsin facility to produce AmPrima PE Plus ultra-clear and heat-resistant films. AmPrima is part of Amcor's responsible packaging solutions portfolio and could be collected for kerbside recycling or at current in-store drop-off facilities across the United States.
- Jun 2020 - The Jim Pattison Group announced that it had sold the Genpak Flexible to C-P Flexible Packaging, which is a prominent manufacturer of flexible packaging comprising prepared pouches, roll stock, and resealable packaging. Genpak Flexible has been a prominent provider of biodegradable packaging in North America, with a diverse variety of proprietary flexible packaging solutions.
US Frozen Food Packaging Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Increasing Demand for Convenience by Consumers
4.2.2 Rapid Growing Demand for Frozen Food Products
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Government Regulations and Interventions
4.4 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.6 Assessment of COVID-19 Impact on the Industry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Material
5.2 By Type of Food Product
5.2.1 Readymade Meals
5.2.2 Fruits and Vegetables
5.2.4 Sea Food
5.2.5 Baked Goods
5.3 By Type of Packaging Product
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Pactiv Evergreen
6.1.2 Amcor Plc
6.1.3 Genpak LLC
6.1.4 Graham Packaging Company, Inc.
6.1.5 Ball Corporation Inc
6.1.6 Crown Holdings
6.1.7 Tetra Pak International
6.1.8 Placon Corporation
6.1.9 WestRock Company
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
US Frozen Food Packaging Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The United States Frozen Food Packaging Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of United States Frozen Food Packaging Market?
The United States Frozen Food Packaging Market is growing at a CAGR of 6.4% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in United States Frozen Food Packaging Market?
Pactiv Evergreen, Amcor plc, Genpak LLC, Graham Packaging Company, Inc., Ball Corporation Inc are the major companies operating in United States Frozen Food Packaging Market.
United States Frozen Food Packaging Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 United States Frozen Food Packaging market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. United States Frozen Food Packaging analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.