South Africa Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Market Size
|Study Period||2019 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Forecast Data Period||2023 - 2028|
|Market Volume (2023)||5.44 gigawatt|
|Market Volume (2028)||9.24 gigawatt|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||11.17 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
South Africa Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Market Analysis
The South Africa Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Market size is expected to grow from 5.44 gigawatt in 2023 to 9.24 gigawatt by 2028, at a CAGR of 11.17% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. Presently the market has now reached pre-pandemic levels.
- Over the medium term, declining solar PV modules and associated system costs coupled with supportive government policies are also expected to drive the growth of the market studied.
- On the other hand, increasing competition from alternative renewable energy sources such as onshore wind power, small-hydropower, and bioenergy may negatively impact the market's growth and is one of the major restraints for the market.
- Nevertheless, Due to increasing power outages in the country leading to the electricity crisis and increasing demand for continuous power, are expected to provide growth opportunities in the forecast period.
South Africa Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Market Trends
Residential Segment Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- The electricity use in most of the residential sectors is likely to grow in South Africa because of increasing incomes and as urban migration continues in the southern regions of Africa. Moreover, the housing sector is expected to witness a considerable investment, owing to a rise in population, rapid urbanization, and increased disposable incomes.
- According to US Energy Information Administration (US EIA), by 2040, it is estimated that the residential sector in South Africa is likely to consume approximately 8.4 mtoe ( million tonnes of oil equivalent) or 98,000 kWh of electricity.
- South Africa has great potential for renewable energy resources, especially solar and wind. The government of the country is significantly making efforts to increase the capacity of such sources in order to reduce dependency over other convetnional sources of energy.
- Accroding to Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), South Africa has added around 75 MW of operational large-scale solar PV capacity, taking its total to 2.3 GW in 2022. As part of South Africa's long-term energy plan, the government will add another 6 GW of solar power to the grid by 2030.
- However, during the forecast period, the share of the residential segment is expected to increase, on account of the decreasing solar PV costs and supportive government programs, such as the National Solar Water Heater Programme, for the residential sector of the country. Moreover, the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy plans to strengthen its National Electrification Programme to provide electricity access to a maximum portion of the country, which is expected to positively impact the growth of the South African residential solar PV market.
- Solar photovoltaic (PV) panels are Small-Scale Embedded Generation (SSEG) installations mounted on the roof of a residential building and convert solar energy into usable electricity. A PV system is made up of solar cells connected to point them toward the sun, which an inverter then converts from direct current (DC) into usable alternating current (AC).
- Therefore, owing to the above points, the residential segment is expected to witness significant growth in South African solar PV market during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Government Policies and Increasing Investments Driving the Market Demand
- The solar energy is one of the most readily accessible resources in South Africa, with an average of more than 2,500 hours of sunshine per year. The country's average solar-radiation level ranges between 4.5 and 6.5 kWh/m2 per day. The South African government has identified the significant potential of solar energy and is making efforts to increase the adoption of solar photovoltaic (PV) technology in the country's power sector.
- Until the introduction of the Renewable Energy Independent Power Producers Program (REIPPP) in 2011, the solar power sector was nearly non-existent. However, after the program's start, the installed capacity for the utility-scale solar PV reached more than 2.37 GW as of May 2022.
- Further, under the REIPPP, the country aims to install an 8,400 MW generation capacity of solar PV by 2030, enough to provide energy to 1.5 million households. In addition, the government also plans to install 18 GW of solar PV by 2050. Such a scenario is expected to result in significant developments in the solar PV industry in South Africa.
- In April 2022, the government announced that it had launched the sixth round of the Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Procurement Programme (REIPPPP), enabling private sector investment in renewable energy development. Under this, the authorities target procuring 2.6 GW of renewable energy, including 1.6 GW of solar PV.
- In addition, the procurement exercise is part of South Africa's plan to tender almost 12 GW of solar capacity, following the country's Integrated Resource Plan (IRP), which aims to develop up to 6 GW of new large-scale solar, and 6 GW of distributed PV capacity by 2030. These initiatives are likely to increase the demand for the solar PV market in the country.
- South Africa has also been witnessing a rising interest from various companies in terms of investments in the solar PV market. For instance, in June 2022, South African miner Harmony Gold announced that it had started constructing three 10 MW solar PV projects as part of its environmental, social, and governance (ESG) program. According to the company, the first phase of its renewable energy project consisted of a 30 MW solar energy plant in the Free State province of South Africa. Further, the second phase is planned to add 137 megawatts at its various mines, which the miner announced would deliver over ZAR 500 million per annum in cost savings once it reaches full production in the fiscal year 2025.
- Furthermore, in June 2022, renewable power producer Scatec signed power purchase agreements (PPA) for three co-located solar and storage projects in South Africa that include 540MW of PV capacity. Scatec's three projects, which pair 540MW of solar PV with 1.1GWh of battery energy storage system (BESS) capacity, provide 150MW of dispatchable energy from 5 a.m. to 9.30 p.m. In addition, the BESS enables the energy dispatch and allows ESKOM and Scatec to reduce the size of the grid connection needed to integrate the new resources.
- Therefore, owing to the above points, government policies and increasing investments are expected to drive the country's solar PV market during the forecast period.
South Africa Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Industry Overview
The South African solar photovoltaic (PV) market is moderately fragmented. Some of the major players operating in the market (in no particular order) include Canadian Solar Inc., Enel SpA, JinkoSolar Holding Co. Ltd, Renenergy South Africa Pty Ltd, and JA Solar Holdings, among others.
South Africa Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Market Leaders
JA Solar Holdings
Renenergy South Africa Pty Ltd.
Canadian Solar Inc.
JinkoSolar Holding Co., Ltd.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
South Africa Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Market News
- June 2022, the National Energy Regulator of South Africa (NERSA) approved fifteen solar photovoltaic projects totaling 139 MW that is expected to operate under the country's regulatory framework for distributed-generation power facilities. Among the fifteen projects, eleven generation facilities produce electricity for their use, and the other four-generation facilities have electricity for commercial use. Eleven plants are expected to be connected to the grid of national utility Eskom. The other four projects are expected to be linked to municipal networks, where the project size ranges from 0.1 MW to 80 MW.
- February 2022, Total Eren and Chariot signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Tharisa PLC to develop, finance, construct, own, operate, and maintain a solar photovoltaic (PV) project for the supply of electricity to the Tharisa mine, in the Northwest Province, South Africa. In the initial phase of the project, Tharisa Mine is expected to produce 40 MWp of solar PV power, with demand expected to increase in the future. This MoU is a first step towards implementing the project and signing a long-term power purchase agreement (PPA) for electricity supply.
South Africa Solar Photovoltaic Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Installed Capacity and Forecast in MW, till 2028
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 PESTLE Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Crystalline Silicon
5.1.2 Thin Film
5.2 End User
5.2.2 Commercial and Industrial (C&I)
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Canadian Solar Inc.
6.3.2 JinkoSolar Holding Co. Ltd
6.3.3 Trina Solar Co. Ltd
6.3.4 ARTsolar (Pty) Ltd
6.3.5 SunPower Corporation
6.3.6 IBC Solar AG
6.3.7 Seraphim Solar System Co. Ltd
6.3.8 Engie SA
6.3.9 Enel SpA
6.3.10 Renenergy South Africa Pty Ltd
6.3.11 JA Solar Holdings
6.3.12 Energy Partners Solar (Pty) Ltd
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
South Africa Solar Photovoltaic Market Research FAQs
How big is the South Africa Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Market?
The South Africa Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Market size is expected to reach 5.44 gigawatt in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 11.17% to reach 9.24 gigawatt by 2028.
What is the current South Africa Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Market size?
In 2023, the South Africa Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Market size is expected to reach 5.44 gigawatt.
Who are the key players in South Africa Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Market?
JA Solar Holdings, Renenergy South Africa Pty Ltd., Canadian Solar Inc., Enel S.p.A. and JinkoSolar Holding Co., Ltd. are the major companies operating in the South Africa Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Market.
South Africa Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 South Africa Solar Photovoltaic (PV) market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. South Africa Solar Photovoltaic (PV) analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2023 to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.