US Adhesives & Sealants Market Size
|CAGR:||> 5.5 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
US Adhesives & Sealants Market Analysis
The United States Adhesives market is expected to reach a value of USD 10.5 billion by the end of this year and is projected to register a CAGR of more than 5.5% during the forecast period. COVID-19 negatively impacted the market in 2020. However, the market has now been estimated to have reached pre-pandemic levels and is forecasted to grow steadily.
- The expanding packaging industry in the region will likely drive the market significantly in the coming years.
- However, the strict regulations on the usage of VOC-free content are expected to hinder the market's growth.
- The development of bio-based and hybrid Adhesives is expected to be an opportunity.
US Adhesives & Sealants Industry Segmentation
Adhesives are made from a combination of resins, additives, and solvents. The United States adhesives and sealants market is segmented by adhesive resin, adhesive technology, sealant resin type, and end-user industry. By adhesives resin type, the market is segmented into silicone, polyurethane, acrylic, epoxy, cyanoacrylate, VAE/EVA, and other resin types. By adhesive technology, the market is segmented into water-borne, solvent-borne, reactive, hot melt, and other adhesive technologies. The market is segmented by sealant resin type: silicone, polyurethane, acrylic, polyvinyl acetate, and other sealant resin types. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into building and construction, paper, board, and packaging, transportation, woodworking and joinery, footwear and leather, healthcare, electrical and electronics, and other end-user industries. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (kiloton) and revenue (USD million).
|Adhesives by Resin|
|Adhesives by Technology|
|Sealants by Resin|
|Building and Construction|
|Paper, Board, and Packaging|
|Woodworking and Joinery|
|Footwear and Leather|
|Electrical and Electronics|
|Other End-user Industries|
US Adhesives & Sealants Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the US Adhesives & Sealants Market according to our research experts:
Increasing Demand from Packaging Industry
- Packaging is a fast-growing industry in terms of design and technology for protecting and enhancing products' safety and longevity.
- The demand for quick and on-the-go packaged items is increasing due to consumers' busier lifestyles, greater spending power, and related factors in the country. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the country-wide lockdowns and temporary shutdown of manufacturing facilities caused several issues, including disruptions in supply chains, imports, and exports.
- The growing interest in public health, along with the emerging e-commerce activities across the nation, is likely to continue boosting the growth of the food processing industry, which will further drive the packaging demand over the coming years.
- The United States packaging industry has been driven by the rapid growth of the food and beverage industry in recent years. The sales of packaging products to retail food and beverage stores amounted to around USD 880 billion in 2021, representing a growth of nearly 3.5% compared to 2020.
- Also, corrugated packaging in the United States is growing significantly. For example, the country shipped 416 billion square feet of corrugated packaging in 2021, representing a growth of nearly 8% compared to 2017.
- Thus, owing to the aforementioned factors, expanding the packaging industry will likely drive the market during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Growing Adoption of Water-borne Adhesives
- Water-borne is the majorly consumed adhesive technology across the country due to its favorable properties for multiple applications or end-user industries.
- Water-borne adhesives are often designed as dispersions or emulsions. The distributed polymer (latex) particles have a spherical form with a diameter of 50 - 300 nm. Since the concentration of the developing chains within each latex particle is shallow, high molecular weights are typically attained in emulsion polymerization.
- These adhesives are commonly used in the woodworking and footwear industries for bonding wood, paper, textiles, leather, and other porous substrates.
- Acrylic waterborne adhesives are the major resin type due to their cheaper cost and favorable environmental properties. They are also easier to use with multiple substrates and have moderate strength and resistance to temperature and other environmental factors.
- Waterborne adhesives are more environmentally friendly, have negligible VOC content that does not hamper the safety of workers at manufacturing sites, and are less expensive than other types of technologies.
- Thus, these factors are expected to boost demand for waterborne adhesives over the coming years.
US Adhesives & Sealants Industry Overview
The United States adhesives and sealants market is consolidated in nature. The major companies include 3M, Arkema Group, Sika AG, HB Fuller Company, and Henkel AG & Co. KGaA, among others (in no particular order).
US Adhesives & Sealants Market Leaders
H.B. Fuller Company
Henkel AG & Co. KGaA
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
US Adhesives & Sealants Market News
- In April 2021, Sika AG signed an agreement to acquire The Yokohama Rubber Co. Ltd's adhesives division, Hamatite, based in Japan. Hamatite offers polyurethanes, hot melts, and modified silicones technology adhesives and sealants for the automotive and construction industries.
- In Feb 2022, Arkema Group completed the acquisition of Ashland's Performance Adhesives business. Ashland is a world leader in high-performance adhesives in the United States.
US Adhesives & Sealants Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Report
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Rising Demand from Packaging Industry
4.1.2 Other Drivers
4.2.1 Strict Regulations on the Usage of VOC-free Contents
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Value and Revenue)
5.1 Adhesives by Resin
5.1.7 Other Resins
5.2 Adhesives by Technology
5.2.1 Solvent-Borne Coatings
5.2.3 Hot Melt
5.2.4 UV-Cured Adhesives
5.3 Sealants by Resin
5.3.5 Other Resins
5.4 End-user Industry
5.4.1 Building and Construction
5.4.2 Paper, Board, and Packaging
5.4.4 Woodworking and Joinery
5.4.5 Footwear and Leather
5.4.7 Electrical and Electronics
5.4.8 Other End-user Industries
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share(%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.2 Arkema Group
6.4.3 Illinois Tool Works Inc.
6.4.4 Avery Dennison Corporation
6.4.5 Huntsman International LLC
6.4.7 MAPEI S.p.A.
6.4.8 Sika AG
6.4.9 Technical Adhesives
6.4.10 H.B. Fuller Company
6.4.11 Henkel AG & Co. KGaA
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Development of Bio-based and Hybrid Adhesives
US Adhesives & Sealants Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The United States Adhesives and Sealants Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of United States Adhesives and Sealants Market?
The United States Adhesives and Sealants Market is growing at a CAGR of >5.5% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in United States Adhesives and Sealants Market?
3M, H.B. Fuller Company, Henkel AG & Co. KGaA, Arkema Group, Sika AG are the major companies operating in United States Adhesives and Sealants Market.
United States Adhesives and Sealants Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 United States Adhesives and Sealants market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. United States Adhesives and Sealants analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.