Network as a Service Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Network as a Service Market Analysis
The network as a service market is expected to reach USD 59.44 billion by the end of the forecast period, registering a CAGR of 32.67%. One of the primary factors driving the growth of the network as a service (NaaS) market is an increase in new data center infrastructure globally.
- The increased adoption and implementation of the cloud for data storage and the introduction of Big Data analytics, as well as virtualization in the data center for workload mobility, have resulted in efficient resource utilization, increased availability, reduced overall costs, and ensured high reliability and security for mission-critical business applications.
- The market is further influenced by the rising need for subscription (pay-per-use) business models in network virtualization, cloud computing, software-defined networking (SDN), and large and small businesses increased use of cloud services.
- Network as a service (NaaS) offers companies greater flexibility and performance gains in their network infrastructure. Companies can be more cost-conscious through on-demand purchasing and pay only for the networking services they need. Network as a service (NaaS) can also enable companies that want greater flexibility in provisioning without having to rearchitect networks or redo contracts from the ground up.
- Although NaaS provides excellent benefits, specific challenges, like reliability concerns, may obstruct the market's growth over the forecast period. Hiring a third-party networking infrastructure vendor to host critical business infrastructure involves believing that the providers' business may endure the relationship with them. In case of any failure by providers to sustain the competition in the market, the enterprises relying upon them may have to replace critical pieces of infrastructure entirely, as it is not possible to conduct business.
- Since the COVID-19 outbreak, the demand for cloud-based solutions has witnessed significant growth, owing to the remote working model being adopted by enterprises. However, various industries, such as retail, manufacturing, BFSI, and others, witnessed a significant slump in their revenues during 2020. With the growing remote working model, companies are increasing investments in cloud-based analytics and assurance, edge computing, and AI-powered networking technologies. This is expected to boost the NaaS market.
Network as a Service Industry Segments
Network as a service (NaaS) is the sale of network services by third parties to clients who do not want to construct their own networking infrastructure. NaaS solutions package networking resources, services, and applications as a product that several customers or users can buy, usually for a contracted and defined period.
The network as a service market is segmented by type (LAN-as-a-service and WAN-as-a-service), application (cloud-based services (vCPE), bandwidth on demand (BoD), integrated network security-as-a-service, wide area network (WAN), virtual private network (VPN)), industry vertical (healthcare, BFSI, retail and e-commerce, IT and telecom, manufacturing, transportation and logistics, and public sector), and geography.
The market sizes and forecasts are provided in terms of value (USD billion) for all the above segments.
|Cloud-based Services (vCPE)|
|Bandwidth on Demand (BoD)|
|Integrated Network Security-as-a-Service|
|Wide Area Network (WAN)|
|Virtual Private Network (VPN)|
|By Industry Vertical|
|Retail and E-commerce|
|IT and Telecom|
|Transportation and Logistics|
Network as a Service Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Network as a Service Market according to our research experts:
Cloud-based Services Expected to Hold a Significant Market Share
- As enterprises strive to run their IT infrastructure efficiently, they find ways to operate and manage their networks efficiently. Enterprises are modernizing traditional IT techniques on commodity hardware, such as computing, storage, and networking, to incorporate cloud technologies that enable rapid development and deployment of new network services.
- With a growing number of cloud-based applications across enterprises, cloud-based services are increasingly becoming popular. Cloud computing adoption is rising due to increasing investments from small and medium enterprises (SMEs). According to Cisco Systems, the global cloud data center IP traffic was expected to reach 19,509 exabytes by 2021.
- The major reasons for migrating to the cloud are scalability, increased effectiveness, faster implementation, mobility, and disaster recovery. Cloud migration is also gaining popularity for its real-time experience, business elements, and accessibility to on-premise data. This technology also aids in setting up and working based on several units in minimal time. Enterprises are adopting network as a service (NaaS) solutions to foster seamless cloud migration.
- Cloud computing continues to evolve as a vital computing platform for sharing various resources, including infrastructure, software, business processes, and applications. According to the Global Cloud Index by Cisco, for the period 2016–2021, 78% of all cloud workflows were expected to be delivered in a SaaS model. It was also anticipated that infrastructure as a service would drop to 21% in 2021 compared to an overwhelming 44% in 2013, while platform as a service was likely to account for 9% of the global cloud market.
- Additionally, from a vendor’s perspective, to help service providers meet low latency and high bandwidth requirements, Ericsson upgraded its cloud solution with the launch of Ericsson Edge network virtualization, optimized for the network edge. The newly developed solution is part of the end-to-end managed and orchestrated distributed cloud architecture, making it possible to distribute workloads, optimize the network, and enable new services in the cloud.
- Furthermore, VMware’s Telco Automation Cloud was launched to model, onboard, orchestrate, and manage virtual network functions (VNFs), cloud network functions (CNFs), and network services. As part of its “Ready for NFV" program, TAC made NFVs and VNFs more manageable by taking a cloud-first approach to reduce multi-cloud complexities.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America Expected to Occupy the Largest Market Share
- Increased preference for implementation and acceptance of advanced technology, developments in network automation, a surge in the number of cloud-based services, and other factors are driving the network as a service (NaaS) market in the country. Over the next five-plus years, most IT teams are expected to increasingly adopt NaaS as suppliers deliver hybrid offerings that include software, cloud intelligence, and the option for management of on-premises hardware.
- Substantial growth in connected and mobile devices is spiking the growth in demand for enhanced network services. Since the United States has always remained at the forefront of technology adoption, the region witnessed the maximum adoption of connected devices. For instance, according to CTA, in 2016, connected device shipments accounted for 621 million units in the United States and reached 791 million shipments last year. Storing and managing this huge data flow through the connected device without operating costs spiraling out of control will be a substantial challenge. This is where cloud-native technologies come to the rescue.
- Only with an end-to-end cloud-native core network can an operator take full advantage of the agility, scalability, resiliency, and economies of the cloud. The quickest way the operator can apply all these capabilities to support the IoT needs of its enterprise customers is through a hosted/third-party environment. Nokia WING, which stands for IoT Network Grid, is a managed service based on a cloud-native core that supports both local-only and large-scale deployments with the same architecture.
- The market for NaaS in Canada is growing mainly due to new product roll-outs, acquisitions, mergers, and partnerships, which are shaping the market landscape in North America overall. There has been a rise in malicious cyber activity targeting information technology (IT) service providers, which is causing a leak of client information. Due to rising network infiltration, the Canadian Centre for Cyber Security has provided businesses guidance. This has, in turn, led to companies getting very selective while choosing their network service providers.
- With increasing automation and connected device deployment, the market demand is expected to increase significantly. Additionally, the NaaS model benefits small businesses because they can offload day-to-day maintenance of equipment and focus on tasks that they do best, such as customer service.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Network as a Service Market Competitor Analysis
The network as a service market is highly competitive and consists of several major players. The market is fragmented due to the presence of multiple small and large players. The major players that hold a prominent market share are focusing on expanding their customer base across regional boundaries. These companies leverage strategic collaborative initiatives to increase their market share and profitability. Some major players in the market are AT&T Inc., Verizon Wireless Inc., and Cisco System Inc., among others.
- June 2022 - Cisco has announced its expanded relationship with General Dynamics Information Technology (GDIT), a business unit of General Dynamics, to deliver Cisco Private 5G services to a broad set of government entities, where together, Cisco and GDIT can provide government agencies with simple and intuitive private 5G solutions for IoT and edge use cases.
- May 2022 - Telstra announced a collaboration with Prysmian Group to build a new state-of-the-art inter-capital fiber network in the market. The national fiber network project is a multi-year project that will see Telstra build a new ‘state-of-the-art’ intercity dual fiber path that will add up to 20,000 route kilometers of new fiber-optic terrestrial cable, boosting its inter-capital capacity and capacity for regional areas.
Network as a Service Market Top Players
Verizon Wireless Inc.
Cisco System Inc.
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Network as a Service Market Recent Developments
- September 2022 - Verizon announced no-contract wireless with Total by Verizon, a new prepaid wireless brand running on America’s most reliable 5G network, where Total by Verizon gives customers a new option for no-contract wireless service with uncompromising network quality, a broad lineup of devices, and new rate plans for both single-line accounts and families.
- August 2022 - VMware Inc. and IBM announced an expanded partnership at VMware Explore 2022 to help global clients and partners modernize mission-critical workloads and expedite time to value in hybrid cloud environments. Where together, IBM and VMw are planning to offer clients in regulated industries such as financial services, healthcare, and the public sector address the cost, complexity, and risk of migrating and modernizing mission-critical workloads in the cloud.
Network as a Service Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.2.5 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Increased Adoption of Cloud Services among Enterprises
5.1.2 Augmentation in Software-defined Networking (SDN) Integration with Existing Network Infrastructure
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Privacy and Data Security Concerns
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Type
6.2 By Application
6.2.1 Cloud-based Services (vCPE)
6.2.2 Bandwidth on Demand (BoD)
6.2.3 Integrated Network Security-as-a-Service
6.2.4 Wide Area Network (WAN)
6.2.5 Virtual Private Network (VPN)
6.3 By Industry Vertical
6.3.3 Retail and E-commerce
6.3.4 IT and Telecom
6.3.6 Transportation and Logistics
6.3.7 Public Sector
6.4 By Geography
6.4.1 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
6.4.4 Latin America
184.108.40.206 Rest of Latin America
6.4.5 Middle East and Africa
220.127.116.11 United Arab Emirates
18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
22.214.171.124 Rest of Middle East and Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 AT&T Inc.
7.1.2 Verizon Communications Inc.
7.1.3 DXC Technology Company
7.1.4 Synnex Corporation
7.1.5 Cisco Systems Inc.
7.1.6 NEC Corporation
7.1.7 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Co.
7.1.8 IBM Corporation
7.1.9 Oracle Corporation
7.1.10 GTT Communications
7.1.11 VMware Inc.
7.1.12 Telstra Corporation Limited
7.1.13 CenturyLink Inc.
7.1.14 Meta Networks Ltd
7.1.15 Masergy Communications Inc.
7.1.16 Juniper Networks Inc.
7.1.17 Nokia Corp. (Alcatel Lucent)
7.1.18 Akamai Technologies Inc.
7.1.19 Broadcom Inc.
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Network as a Service Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Network as a Service Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Network as a Service Market?
The Network as a Service Market is growing at a CAGR of 32.67% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Network as a Service Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Network as a Service Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Network as a Service Market?
Verizon Wireless Inc., Cisco System Inc., IBM Corp., Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Oracle Corporation are the major companies operating in Network as a Service Market.
Network as a Service Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Network as a Service sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Network as a Service research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Network as a Service report PDF.