|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The titanium dioxide market was estimated at over 6 million ton in 2021, and the market is projected to register a CAGR of more than 6% during the forecast period (2022-2027).
The market was negatively impacted due to COVID-19 in 2020. The manufacturing activities and construction work were halted due to supply chain disruptions and labor shortages during the pandemic, thus affecting the demand from various application sectors, such as paints and coatings, plastics, cosmetics, and other application sectors. For instance, L'Oréal, the largest cosmetics company globally, registered a loss of EUR 1,735 million (USD 2,024.52 million) during the first half of 2020 compared to the same period in 2019. However, the condition is expected to recover during the early forecast period.
- Over the short term, rapidly increasing demand from the paints and coatings industry is likely to be the major factor driving the market's growth.
- On the flip side, the toxicity of titanium dioxide is expected to hamper the market's growth.
- The paints and coating application segment dominated the market. The segment is likely to grow during the forecast period, with the continuous growth in construction activities.
- The Asia-Pacific region dominated the market worldwide. It is also expected to register the highest growth rate during the forecast period due to increasing consumption from China and India.
Scope of the Report
Titanium dioxide is one of the whitest materials on the earth. It is used extensively as a white pigment to add whiteness and opacity in various applications, such as paints and coatings, cosmetics, food, and other applications. The titanium dioxide market is segmented by grade, application, and geography. By grade, the market is segmented into rutile and anatase. By application, the market is segmented into paints and coatings, plastics, paper and pulp, cosmetics, and other applications. The report also offers market size and forecast for 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, market sizing and forecast have been done based on volume (kiloton).
|Paints and Coatings|
|Paper and Pulp|
|Other Applications (Leather, Textiles)|
Key Market Trends
Paints and Coatings Segment is Expected to Dominate the Market
- Titanium dioxide is the most widely used white pigment material in the paints and coatings industry. It efficiently scatters visible light and imparts whiteness, brightness, and opacity when incorporated into a coating, making it widely used in the paints and coatings industry.
- The paints and coatings industry is experiencing a boom with the rapid growth of the building, construction, and automotive end-user industries.
- Various expansions in the paints and coatings industry may augment the titanium dioxide market in the coming years. For reference, in May 2021, PPG Industries Inc. invested USD 13 million to expand its paints and coatings unit in China, which includes eight new powder coating production lines and an expanded powder coatings technology center. This expansion is anticipated to increase the capacity by more than 8,000 metric ton per year.
- In the automotive sector, paints and coatings are used in the interior and exterior parts of the vehicle, as they impart protection and appeal to vehicles. They are used in metallic parts and plastic vehicle components of automobiles.
- According to the OICA data, global automotive production increased by around 10% and reached 57.26 million units in the first nine months of 2021 compared to 52.15 million units in the same period in 2020. The car sales increased by around 29% in the first half of 2021 compared to 2020, reaching 44.40 million units. This factor is likely to drive the market during the forecast period.
- Hence, such trends in industries, such as construction and automotive, have been increasing the demand for paints and coatings, which is expected to add to the demand for titanium dioxide and boost the market.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region dominated the overall market. With the rising production in industries such as cosmetics, paints and coatings, and plastics, the consumption of titanium dioxide is projected to increase noticeably during the forecast period.
- China is one of the world's largest producers and consumers of titanium dioxide products. Furthermore, the demand for TiO2 for paints and coatings is likely to increase in the construction industry. According to the National Bureau of Statistics of China, in 2020, the Chinese construction industry generated an added value of approximately CNY 7.3 trillion.
- In November 2021, Asian Paints announced plans to invest USD 127 million in the Gujarat plant, India, to expand the paints manufacturing capacity from 130,000 kiloliters to 250,000 kilotons in the next two to three years.
- In addition, the plastic industry is expected to grow in China and India. The Chinese plastic industry is growing at a high rate due to the availability of cheaper raw materials and massive demand from developing economies.
- According to the National Bureau of Statistics of China, about 7.95 million metric ton of plastic products was produced in December 2021, compared to 7.32 million metric ton in November 2021.
- According to the Plastics Export Promotion Council (PLEXCONCIL), India’s plastics export increased by 55% to USD 3,417 million (cumulative value) from April to June 2021 compared to USD 2,211 million in April-June 2020.
- The Asia-Pacific region is also witnessing strong growth in the demand for cosmetic products, leading to increased usage by teenagers and increased hygiene awareness, thus augmenting the market studied.
- Hence, such trends are likely to drive the demand for titanium dioxide in the region during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The titanium dioxide market is a consolidated market with a few major players holding a significant share of the market. Some of the major players (not in any particular order) in the market include The Chemours Company, Tronox Holdings PLC, Venator Materials PLC, KRONOS Worldwide Inc., and LB Group.
- In January 2022, LB Group announced the investment of CNY 1 billion (USD 157.6 million) at the Xiangyang site to construct a new 200ktpa titanium dioxide (TiO2) pigment finishing plant. Two TiO2 pigment finishing lines will be built, each with the ability to process 100ktpa TiO2 pigment intermediate product.
- In July 2021, Venator Materials PLC (“Venator”) announced global price increases for all its titanium dioxide pigments for coatings, plastics, inks, and paper applications. For Europe, Middle-East & Africa, Asia-Pacific, and Latin America, the price increase is USD 200/ton. In North America, the price increase is USD 0.08/lb. The increases were effective from July 1, 2021.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Rapidly Increasing Demand for Paints and Coatings
4.1.2 Other Drivers
4.2.1 Toxicity and Stringent Environmental Policies of Titanium Dioxide
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Trade Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.2.1 Paints and Coatings
5.2.3 Paper and Pulp
5.2.5 Other Applications (Leather, Textiles)
18.104.22.168 South Korea
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
220.127.116.11 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
22.214.171.124 South Africa
126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Argex Titanium Inc.
6.4.2 Evonik Industries AG
6.4.3 Grupa Azoty
6.4.6 KRONOS Worldwide Inc.
6.4.7 LB Group
6.4.10 The Chemours Company
6.4.11 The Kish Company Inc.
6.4.12 Tronox Holdings PLC
6.4.13 Venator Materials PLC
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Increased Use of Ultrafine Particles of Titanium Dioxide in Cosmetics and Construction Industries
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Titanium Dioxide Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Titanium Dioxide Market?
The Titanium Dioxide Market is growing at a CAGR of >6% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Titanium Dioxide Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Titanium Dioxide Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Titanium Dioxide Market?
The Chemours Company, Venator Materials PLC, LB Group, Tronox Holdings PLC, KRONOS Worldwide Inc. are the major companies operating in Titanium Dioxide Market.