2016 - 2026
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The titanium dioxide market was estimated at over 6.2 million ton in 2020, and the market is projected to register a CAGR of over 6% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market was negatively impacted due to COVID-19 in 2020. Owing to the pandemic scenario, several countries around the world went into lockdown to curb the spreading of the virus. The manufacturing activities and construction work were halted due to supply chain disruptions and labor shortages or as a protective measure to stop the spreading of the virus. This affected the demand from various applications such as paints and coatings, plastics, cosmetics, and others. For instance, the demand for luxury and cosmetics products also went down at the beginning of 2020. Loreal, the largest cosmetics company globally, registered a loss of EUR 1,735 million (USD 2024.52 million) during the first half of 2020, compared to the same period in 2019. However, the condition is expected to recover in 2021, which will restore the growth trajectory of the market studied, thereby benefitting the market over the forecast period.
- Over the short term, rapidly increasing demand from the paints and coatings industry is the major factor driving the growth of the market studied. The rapid growth of the construction industry in many countries, such as India, China, Malaysia, ASEAN countries, the United States, Germany, and Mexico, among others, owing to the increasing population and infrastructure demand, along with the continuously increasing housing construction activities in emerging economies of Asia-Pacific, and a rise in the electric vehicle production and sales, are boosting the paints and coatings market, thereby stimulating demand for the market studied.
- On the flip side, the toxicity of titanium dioxide and the negative impact of the COVID-19 pandemic are expected to hamper the growth of the market.
- Paints and coating applications dominated the market, and they are likely to grow during the forecast period with the continuous growth in construction activities.
- The Asia-Pacific region dominated the market across the world, and it is also expected to register the highest growth rate during the forecast period due to increasing consumption from countries such as China and India.
Scope of the Report
Titanium dioxide is one of the whitest material on the earth. It is used extensively as a white pigment to add whiteness and opacity in various applications such as paints and coatings, cosmetics, food, and others. The titanium dioxide market is segmented by grade, application and geography. By grade, market is segmented into rutile and anatase. By application, the market is segmented into paints and coatings, plastics, paper and pulp, cosmetics, and other applications. The report also offers market size and forecasts for 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (kiloton).
|Paints and Coatings|
|Paper and Pulp|
Key Market Trends
Paints and Coatings Segment to Dominate the Market Demand
- Titanium dioxide is the most widely used white pigment material in the paints and coatings industry. It efficiently scatters visible light and thereby imparts whiteness, brightness, and opacity when incorporated into a coating, which makes it widely used in the paints and coatings industry.
- The paints and coatings industry is experiencing a boom with the rapid growth of the building and construction and automotive end-user industries.
- Residential and commercial construction has been increasing significantly across the world, which is further driving the demand for titanium dioxide for construction applications.
- Asia-Pacific and North American regions have been witnessing strong growth in residential construction, which is further likely to increase the demand for titanium dioxide for residential applications during the forecast period.
- In India, the government is pushing huge projects in the next few years. The government’s ‘Housing for All’ initiative aims to build more than 20 million affordable homes for the urban poor by 2022. This will provide a significant boost to residential construction. Smart cities mission is another major project undertaken by the government, which will construct more than 100 smart cities all over the country to achieve rapid urbanization in the country. In the 2021-22 budget, the smart cities mission has been given INR 6,450 crore as against INR 3,400 crore in the 2020-21 revised estimates.
- Germany has the largest construction industry in Europe. The construction industry in the country has been growing at a slow pace, which is majorly driven by the increasing new residential construction activities. The increasing migration to the country has been stimulating the current demand for new residential construction. About 3.6 million migrants were expected to arrive in Germany by the end of 2020-2021, which will require at least 350,000 new dwellings per year.
- Besides, regions like Asia-Pacific and the Middle East & Africa are experiencing huge domestic as well as foreign investments for setting up industrial units, hospitals, malls, multiplexes, hospitality industry, and IT sectors. This is further expected to add noticeably to the demand in the titanium dioxide market.
- Similarly, investments and the adoption of electric vehicles in the automotive industry have been increasing in the Asia-Pacific region at a significant rate. Moreover, North America and Europe have been investing significantly in innovation and development, which is likely to increase the market demand over the forecast period.
- Hence, all such trends in industries, such as construction and automotive, have been increasing the demand for paints and coatings, which is expected to add to the demand in the titanium dioxide market.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region dominated the global market share. With the rising production in industries, such as cosmetics, paints, and coatings, and plastics, the consumption of titanium dioxide is projected to increase noticeably during the forecast period.
- With growing investments in residential and commercial construction in countries such as India, China, the Philippines, Vietnam, and Indonesia, the market for titanium dioxide is expected to grow in the coming years.
- Demographics in China are expected to continue to spur the growth in residential construction. Rising household income levels combined with population migrating from rural to urban areas are expected to continue to drive demand for the residential construction sector in the country. Increased focus on affordable housing by both the public and private sectors will drive growth in the residential construction sector.
- China has been majorly driven by the ample developments in the residential and commercial construction sectors supported by the growing economy. In China, the housing authorities of Hong Kong launched several measures to push-start the construction of low-cost housing. The officials aim to provide 301,000 public housing units in 10 years till 2030.
- China is investing USD 1.43 trillion in the next five years till 2025 in major construction projects. According to National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC), the Shanghai plan includes the investment of USD 38.7 billion in the next three years, whereas Guangzhou has signed 16 new infrastructure projects with an investment of USD 8.09 billion.
- Besides, residential construction is also increasing in countries like India, Indonesia, Vietnam, and Singapore.
- China is the world's largest automotive producer. However, in 2018, the country witnessed a 4.16% decline in vehicle production, accounting for 27,809,196 units of motor vehicles. The automotive industry's performance was affected by economic shifts and China's trade war with the United States. This trend sustained during 2019 as well, as the domestic automotive production and sales declined by 7.5% and 8.2%, respectively. In 2020, the number of passenger cars produced from January to November was down by 8.1% year-on-year compared to the same period last year, while commercial vehicle production increased by 22.2%. The uncertainties in the automobile industry are expected to impact the market studied.
- Hence, all these trends in the industries, such as paints and coatings, are projected to drive the demand for titanium dioxide in the paints and coatings market during the forecast period.
- The plastic industry is expected to grow in countries like China and India. The Chinese plastic industry is growing at a high rate due to the availability of cheaper raw materials and massive demand from developing economies.
- In the personal care industry, growing consumerism is stimulating the demand for personal care products, which, in turn, is driving the titanium dioxide demand in the country. According to the India Brand Equity Foundation, the beauty, cosmetic, and grooming market was valued at USD 7 billion, and it is expected to reach USD 20 billion by 2025.
- The Asia-Pacific region is also witnessing strong growth in the demand for cosmetic products, which is majorly driven by the influence of western culture leading to the increased usage of cosmetic products by teenagers, increased awareness of being presentable with growing women employment, and hygiene awareness, owing to which the production of such products have also been increasing in the region.
- Hence, such trends are likely to drive the demand for titanium dioxide in the region during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The titanium dioxide market is a consolidated market, where a few major players hold a significant share of the market demand. Some of the major players in the market include The Chemours Company, Tronox Holdings PLC, Lomon Billions, Venator Materials PLC, and KRONOS Worldwide Inc., among others.
- In November 2019, The Chemours Company introduced a new specialty, low-abrasion grade of Ti-Pure titanium dioxide pigment, which is specifically designed to enhance the formulation and performance of printing inks. The new grade of Ti-Pure branded pigment (TS-4657) is chloride processed and specifically engineered to be less abrasive than other chloride TiO2 offerings.
- In May 2019, INEOS Enterprises completed the acquisition of the North American business of National Titanium Dioxide Company Limited (Cristal) from Tronox Limited for USD 700 million.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Rapidly Increasing Demand for Paints and Coatings
4.1.2 Other Drivers
4.2.1 Toxicity of Titanium Dioxide
4.2.2 Negative Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Price Analysis
4.6 Trade Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.2.1 Paints and Coatings
5.2.3 Paper and Pulp
5.2.5 Other Applications
22.214.171.124 South Korea
126.96.36.199 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
18.104.22.168 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
22.214.171.124 Saudi Arabia
126.96.36.199 South Africa
188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Argex Titanium Inc.
6.4.2 Evonik Industries AG
6.4.3 Grupa Azoty
6.4.6 KRONOS Worldwide Inc.
6.4.7 Lomon Billions
6.4.10 The Chemours Company
6.4.11 The Kish Company Inc.
6.4.12 Tronox Holdings PLC
6.4.13 Venator Materials PLC
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Titanium Dioxide Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Titanium Dioxide Market?
The Titanium Dioxide Market is growing at a CAGR of >6% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Titanium Dioxide Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Titanium Dioxide Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Titanium Dioxide Market?
- The Chemours Company
- Tronox Holdings plc
- Venator Materials PLC
- KRONOS Worldwide, Inc.
- Lomon Billions
Are the major companies operating in Titanium Dioxide Market.