Russia Pet Food Market Size
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Market Size (2023)||USD 3.72 Billion|
|Market Size (2028)||USD 4.84 Billion|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||5.40 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Russia Pet Food Market Analysis
The Russia Pet Food Market size is expected to grow from USD 3.72 billion in 2023 to USD 4.84 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 5.40% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
- Russia's Pet food market is growing fast for a few years. The Pet population in Russia is increasing since 2017. Along with this, the percentage of people owing pets is also rising. For instance, according to the European Pet Food Industry report, the rate of households owning pets in Russia in 2021 is 62% which showed an increase from 56% in 2020. This increase in the percentage of pet-adopting households aids the market's growth.
- Along with this, in Russia, in the past times, people used to feed people with homemade food. It causes health issues and damages the health of pets. So, pet owners are becoming more concerned about their pets' diets. This rising awareness of pet nutrition among people is becoming a driving factor for the market's growth. The product launches of the major companies in the country support this increasing demand.
- Moreover, the market was once heavily dependent on imports, especially from the United States. However, the scenario significantly changed to promote domestic production with stringency in import licensing requirements, along with benefits and subsidies promoting domestic production. Furthermore, the Russian pet food market is young compared to the Western European countries. It is expected to witness growth due to increased domestic production.
Russia Pet Food Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Russia Pet Food Market according to our research experts:
Pet Humanization Driving the Market Growth
The trend of pet humanization continues to grow deeply in the pet food industry in Russia. Loneliness is considered the most prominent social issue in the country, affecting all parts of society and every age. A significant body of research shows pets' influential role in reducing the sense of isolation. Pet owners are increasingly treating their pets like members or a part of their family, whereby pets could provide companionship for their owners, especially dogs and cats. It raised pet ownership in the country. According to European Pet Food Federation, 28% of households in Russia own a cat or dog.
Additionally, due to the more and more adoption due to pet humanization, the pet population is continuously increasing in Russia. For instance, according to the European Pet Food Industry Federation (FEDIAF), Russia's cat and dog population in 2021 was 22.9 and 17.5 million, respectively, which increased from 22.7 and 17.1 million in 2020.
Moreover, the problem of pet obesity is mainly caused by pet owners indulging their pets with treats and food, or some owners giving excessive food to their pets or feeding their pets with inappropriate human food. Most pet owners want the best ingredients in their pet's food, mirroring the trend of the human food industry due to the humanization of pets. The evolution of the category is becoming more premium, as consumers are prepared to spend more on pet food products that are healthy, nutritious, and improve living conditions. Therefore, the increased pet ownership and population due to pet humanization raised pet food concerns, aiding the market growth during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Import of Pet Food Dominates the Russian Pet Food Market in Terms of Value
Russia is the primary market for pet food due to the increased pet population in other European countries. It is raising pet food exports, thereby increasing market growth. For instance, according to the European Pet Food Federation, Russia's pet food market is the third fastest-growing market worldwide, with annual growth of 8.7%. Strong growth is expected to continue due to the changing feeding patterns and increased sales in provincial cities.
The increased growth of the pet population is raising the demand, further improving the imports from various countries. According to the ITC trade map, in 2021, the pet food import was valued at USD 406,607 thousand, up from USD 387,912 thousand in 2020. Additionally, in 2021, France, Italy, and the Czech Republic were the significant pet food exporters in the Russian pet food market and accounted for 55.3% of total pet food imports in Russia.
Additionally, the share of imported dry cat and dog food is more in Russia than in others. For instance, according to the United States Department of Agriculture, the percentage of dry food for cats and dogs in total imports account for 57.0%, while 41.0% is accounted for by canned food, and 2.0% comes from other types of food. Moreover, pet food imports continue to increase because of renewed economic growth, higher household incomes, increased number of pets within Russian families, and higher demand for new flavors/types of premium and healthy products. Therefore, the rise in imports due to the need for pet food is contributing to the market growth during the forecast period.
Russia Pet Food Industry Overview
The Russian pet food market is consolidated, with the top global players occupying a significant market share. The competition in the market is driven by consumer loyalty. The major players in the pet food market include Mars Inc., Nestle Purina Petcare Company, Colgate-Palmolive Company (Hill's Pet Nutrition Inc.), The J.M. Smucker Company (Big Heart Pet Brands Inc.), and Blue Buffalo Pet Products Inc. New product launches, partnerships, and acquisitions are the major strategies adopted by leading companies in the market.
Russia Pet Food Market Leaders
Nestle Purina Petcare Company
Hill's Pet Nutrition
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Russia Pet Food Market News
- March 2022: Miratorg, an agribusiness company, launched a new product line that consists of 5 categories of dietary pet food to reduce gastrointestinal discomfort, maintain renal health in animals, weight loss, and for the prevention of struvite stones and urolithiasis. The company claims that the products are made entirely in Russia.
- March 2022: The Russian importers of therapeutic, dietary, and specialty pet foods approached the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation to import the products from Asian manufacturers. To make it possible Union of Animal Industry Enterprises made simplified certification procedures for foreign suppliers of these pet food products.
- August 2021: Mars company invested RUB 4 billion (USD 55 million) in establishing a pet food production complex in Rostov Oblast, Russia, which will operate in 2023.
Russia Pet Food Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.3 Market Restraints
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.1.1 Dry Food
5.1.2 Wet Food
5.1.4 Other Product Types
5.2 Animal Type
5.2.4 Other Animals
5.3 Distribution Channel
5.3.1 Specialized Pet Shops
5.3.3 Online Channel
5.3.4 Other Distribution Channels
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Mars Inc.
6.3.2 Nestle SA (Purina)
6.3.3 Colgate Palmolive ( Hill's Pet Nutrition)
6.3.4 Merric Pet Care
6.3.5 Aller Pet Food
6.3.6 Sunshine Mills
6.3.7 J.M. Smucker
6.3.8 Ainsworth Pet Nutrition
6.3.9 Yamahisa Pet Care
6.3.10 Debifu Pet Products Co. Ltd
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Russia Pet Food Market Research FAQs
How big is the Russia Pet Food Market?
The Russia Pet Food Market size is expected to reach USD 3.72 billion in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 5.40% to reach USD 4.84 billion by 2028.
What is the current Russia Pet Food Market size?
In 2023, the Russia Pet Food Market size is expected to reach USD 3.72 billion.
Who are the key players in Russia Pet Food Market?
Mars Inc, Nestle Purina Petcare Company, Hill's Pet Nutrition, J.M. Smucker and Blue Buffalo are the major companies operating in the Russia Pet Food Market.
Pet Food in Russia Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Pet Food in Russia market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Pet Food in Russia analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.