Peru Freight & Logistics Market Size
|Study Period||2018- 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Forecast Data Period||2023 - 2028|
|Historical Data Period||2018 - 2021|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Peru Freight & Logistics Market Analysis
The Peru Freight and Logistics Market size is expected to grow from USD 25.81 billion in 2023 to USD 36.97 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 7.45% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
- Peruvian logistics is pulled back by logistical cost overruns, increasing final prices, and a loss of competitiveness. It is necessary to implement regulations to reduce the logistic cost overruns that exporters and importers pay. The COVID-19 pandemic had an impact on numerous businesses. In most industrial units worldwide, it caused the closure or suspension of their manufacturing activity. The COVID-19 pandemic greatly impacted the manufacturing, food and beverage, aviation, automotive, and other industries, influencing the logistics sector.
- The high agricultural exports and the plans to increase the exports further by the government are major drivers for the logistics industry growth. Peru's volume growth across all freight transport sub-sectors is anticipated to slow down in 2023 due to the conflict between Russia and Ukraine and the consequences of a worldwide economic slowdown. In the near term, air freight will increase at the fastest rate. However, all four categories are anticipated to show indications of recovery in 2024 before stabilizing at expansion levels, sustainable in the longer run.
- Real trade growth will fluctuate over the medium term before seeing some contractions after the forecast period. Activity over the medium term will be influenced by economic recovery in the market's major trading partners, such as Mainland China.
- The likelihood of fewer business-friendly regulations, however, could impact future growth. In the meantime, Peru is dedicated to expanding its transportation infrastructure to keep its position as a significant regional commerce hub and guarantee that supply chains consist of various freight options. Most freight will continue to be transported by road, albeit if ambitious initiatives are successful, the rail sub-sector may play a larger role.
- Peru's Ministry of Transport and Communications (MTC) effectively managed its allotted budget, reiterating its commitment to closing gaps in its road, airport, port, rail, and telecommunications infrastructure. The ministry spent SOL 1.841 billion (USD 48.36 million) in December, around 5% more than it did during the same period in 2020.
- The amount invested in the transportation and communications industry in December 2021 was SOL 1.094 billion (USD 28.75 million). It resulted in a cumulative annual total of SOL 8.277 billion (USD 217.5 million), around 69% more than the record-breaking amount invested in 2020. The national and regional road network's maintenance activities for concession and non-concession roads and other current expenditure-related items came to SOL 748 million (USD 19.66 million).
Peru Freight & Logistics Market Trends
Agricultural Exports Driving Logistics Growth
Peruvian agricultural exports climbed from USD 645 million in 2000 to a projected USD 9.2 billion in 2021. This exceptional achievement is attributable to favorable weather in the coastal region of Peru, investments in cutting-edge technology, and wise policies, such as the Special Labor Regime for Agriculture legislation.
Peru increased its production land used for high-value exports by a factor of four to approximately 200,000 hectares. The industry generates about four direct jobs in the field and one in the processing facilities per hectare. So Peru generated at least one million formal jobs. Additionally, the Act opened up job prospects for women, who make up roughly 25% of the workforce.
Agro exports are the second currency generator for Peru. Since 2000, its export figures experienced an exponential increase. Fresh fruits, specifically grapes, blueberries, and avocados, were Peru's top agricultural export in 2021. With an estimated USD 1.3 billion export value that year, grapes came out on top. Avocados came in third with USD 1.1 billion in exports, followed by fresh blueberries with USD 1.21 billion. In the meantime, the Andean nation exported green coffee worth USD 764 million. Peru is one of Latin America's biggest producers of coffee.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Ecommerce Is Growing in the Country
eCommerce is still accelerating its strides in the digital transformation of consumers and businesses two years after the COVID-19 epidemic. The Peruvian Chamber of eCommerce (CAPECE) 2021-2022 Ecommerce Observatory Report observed 55% growth in 2021 and generated USD 9.3 billion in revenue.
Only 1.5% of Peru's 5.2 million officially registered enterprises sold goods online before the outbreak. In contrast, businesses joining the eCommerce sector doubled throughout the pandemic, and by the end of 2021, over 6% of all sales were made online. However, more work in the Peruvian company environment is still pending regarding digital transformation and eCommerce solutions. For instance, just 20% of internet transactions originate in regions other than Lima.
Toys, DIY, & hobbies, homeware & furniture, health & beauty, airlines and hotels, and Electrical Goods rounded up the top five eCommerce market share leaders in Peru in 2021. The top two segments hold a combined market share of 22%.
Credit cards, which account for 35% of the USD 9.3 billion in online sales in Peru, are the most popular payment method, followed by debit cards (33% of the market), digital wallets (22%), bank transfers (7%) and cash (3%) transactions. While mobile payment apps like Venmo and PayPal are yet to gain popularity, Yape, their equivalent in Latin America, is quickly taking over.
Due to the COVID-19 epidemic, consumers had to adjust to new procedures for making purchases of goods and services. Even though shopping malls are once again at capacity, more businesses are offering eCommerce because Peruvian shoppers want convenience and comfort when they shop.
Free delivery, coupons or discounts, recommendations from other customers, and straightforward return policies are the key factors that influence consumer preference for online retailers. ECommerce became an essential tool for small, medium, and large businesses.
According to a recent CAPECE analysis, Peru includes the lowest smartphone e-commerce usage rates among the major Latin American economies. But in 2021, 59% of all eCommerce purchases were made on mobile devices. Furthermore, according to the same report, 34.2 million cell phones in Peru are frequently used by 62% of Peruvians to access the internet on mobile devices in Peru.
Peru Freight & Logistics Industry Overview
The Peru freight and logistics market includes more than 800 players and is fragmented. International players come with a strong presence in the country's logistics market. Technology integration is slowly but steadily increasing, and the players invested in the technology are expected to do a competitive edge in the market. Some of the international players present in the market are DHL, DB Schenker, Agility, and UPS, to make a few.
Peru Freight & Logistics Market Leaders
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Peru Freight & Logistics Market News
October 2023: Peru: Indecopi approved 27 mergers in an average of 44 business days in the first two years of its merger control regime. Peru: Indecopi approved 27 mergers in an average of 44 business days in the first two years of its merger control regime.
August 2023: Cuatrecasas has advised special-purpose acquisition company (SPAC) “Two” (NYSE: TWOA) on entering into a business combination agreement with LatAm Logistic Properties (LLP) in relation to certain subsidiaries located in Colombia and Peru.When the transaction is closed, LLP and two will merge with new subsidiaries of a special-purpose vehicle (SPV) that will be incorporated in the future.
Peru Freight and Logistics Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS AND DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Dynamics
4.3 Technology Innovation and its Impact
4.4 Impact of Ecommerce Growth on the Market
4.5 Impact of Regulations on Logistics Sector
4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.6.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.6.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.7 Impact of Covid-19 on the market
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Function
5.1.1 Freight Transport
18.104.22.168 Sea and Inland
5.1.2 Freight Forwarding
5.1.4 Courier, Express, and Parcel
5.1.5 Value-added Services (cold chain logistics, last-mile logistics, return logistics, and other emerging areas)
5.2 By End-user
5.2.2 Oil & Gas and Quarrying
5.2.3 Agriculture, Fishing, and Forestry
5.2.4 Manufacturing & Automotive
5.2.5 Distributive Trade
5.2.6 Others (Pharmaceutical and Healthcare)
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Overview (Market Concentration and Major Players)
6.2 Company Profiles
6.2.1 CEVA Logistics
6.2.3 DB Schenker
6.2.4 Perurail SA
6.2.5 Avianca Cargo
6.2.6 Agility Logistics
6.2.7 JAS Worldwide
6.2.8 United Parcel Service Inc.
6.2.9 Transaltisa SA
6.2.10 Servosa Gas SAC
6.2.11 Transportes Rodrigo Carranza SAC
6.2.12 Impala Terminals*
- *List Not Exhaustive
6.3 List of Other Logistics Players
7. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
8.1 GDP Distribution, by Activity
8.2 Insights on Capital Flows in the Market
8.3 Economic Statistics - Transport and Storage Sector Contribution to Economy
8.4 External Trade Statistics - Export and Import, by Product
Peru Freight and Logistics Market Research Faqs
What is the current Peru Freight and Logistics Market size?
The Peru Freight and Logistics Market is projected to register a CAGR of 7.45% during the forecast period (2023-2028)
Who are the key players in Peru Freight and Logistics Market?
CEVA Logistics, DHL, DB Schenker, Perurail SA and Avianca Cargo are the major companies operating in the Peru Freight and Logistics Market.
Peru Freight and Logistics Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Peru Freight And Logistics market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Peru Freight And Logistics analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.