2016 - 2026
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The polyvinyl chloride (PVC) market was valued at USD 45,069 million in 2020 and the market is expected to register a CAGR of over 4% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The COVID-19 outbreak has resulted in a huge economic crisis across the world. Since the growth in the demand for PVC is directly linked to the rise in GDP, this situation is posing many challenges for the PVC market. Globally, the major PVC-consuming industries, like automotive, electrical and electronics, and building and construction, have been severely hit by the COVID-19 pandemic. In 2019, the global electronics industry remained stagnant, and the total output of PCBs declined. Moreover, there were disappointing results from the systems and chips output, which led to a slowdown in the production of mobile phones, consumer electronics, PCs, servers, etc. At the beginning of 2020, it was expected that the 5G launch would drive the whole electronics market forward, which was eventually disrupted by the pandemic.
- Over the medium term, the factors driving the growth of the market studied are PVC’s dominant position in the construction industry and increasing applications in the healthcare industry.
- Furthermore, other than the impact of COVID-19 pandemic on the various end-user industries’ growth, the environmental and health hazards during the production, usage, and disposal of PVC, are projected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- Accelerating usage of PVC in electric vehicles is projected to act as an opportunity for the market in the future.
- PVC applications in building and construction dominated the overall end-user industry share in terms of both volume and value in 2020.
- In 2020, the Asia-Pacific region dominated the global PVC market during the forecast timeline.
Scope of the Report
The polyvinyl chloride (PVC) is a high strength thermoplastic material widely used in variety of applications, such as pipes & fittings, films & sheets, wires & cables, bottles, profiles, hoses and tubings. PVC-based pipes and fittings accounted for the major application share in terms of volume and value, followed by profiles, hoses, and tubing. The market is segmented by product type, stabilizer type, application, end-user industry, and geography. The Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) market is segmented by Product Type into Rigid PVC, Flexible PVC, Low-smoke PVC, and Chlorinated PVC. The Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) market is segmented by stabilizer type which contains Calcium-based Stabilizers, Lead-based Stabilizers, Tin and Organotin-based Stabilizers, and Barium-based and Other Stabilizers. The market has further segmentation by application which inlcude Pipes and Fittings, Films and Sheets, Wires and Cables, Bottles, Profiles, Hoses and Tubings, and Other Applications. The market is also segmented by end-user industry which contains Building and Construction, Automotive, Electrical and Electronics, Packaging, Footwear, Healthcare, and Other End-user Industries. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the polyvinyl chloride market in 16 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (kilo tons) and value (USD Million).
|Calcium-based Stabilizers (Ca-Zn Stabilizers)|
|Lead-based Stabilizers (Pb Stabilizers)|
|Tin and Organotin-based (Sn Stabilizers)|
|Barium-based and Others (Liquid Mixed Metals)|
|Pipes and Fittings|
|Film and Sheets|
|Wire and Cables|
|Profiles, Hoses and Tubings|
|Building and Construction|
|Electrical and Electronics|
|Other End-user Industries|
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from the Building and Construction Industry
- PVC is strong and lightweight, durable to weathering, rotting, chemical corrosion and abrasion, versatile, and easy to use, as it can be cut, shaped, welded, and joined in any style. Such characteristics make it an ideal option for many applications, such as pipes, windows, flooring, and roofing.
- PVC pipes have been used in building and construction for over 60 years, as they offer valuable energy saving during production, low-cost distribution, and a safe, maintenance-free lifetime of service. These pipes are widely used for pipeline systems for water, waste, and drainage, as these pipes suffer no build-up, scaling, corrosion, or pitting, and they provide smooth surfaces reducing energy requirements for pumping.
- PVC flooring has benefits, such as durability, freedom of aesthetic effects, ease in installation, easy to clean, recyclability, etc. Thus, its flooring is used over years. Another area in the building and construction industry, where PVC is used is in roofing. It is used for its low maintenance requirements, and because it lasts more than 30 years.
- The increasing infrastructure construction activities is the major driver in Asia-Pacific, Middle East and North America region.
- United states has one of the world’s largest construction industry and it recorded an annual revenue of USD 1,306 billion in 2019. Although the residential construction is expected to reduce due to COVID-19 for financial years 2020 and 2021 which will likely hit PVC market, the growth is expected to pick up after 2021 and continue during the forecast period.
- All the aforementioned factors are expected to drive the global market, during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- China has largest electronics production base and offers a tough competition to the existing upstream producers, like South Korea, Singapore, and Taiwan. Electronic products, such as smartphones, OLED TVs, and tablets, among others, witnessed the highest growth in the consumer electronics segment of the market.
- The medical device market in China is one of the fastest-growing market sectors. The number of private hospitals in the country is less and the procurement of healthcare product is majorly driven by large public hospitals, which led to the increasing usage of medical devices in public hospitals. This factor drove the demand for polyvinyl chloride (PVC) in the sector.
- In 2019, the health expenditure was recorded to be ~USD 750 billion, which accounted for ~5.3% of the country’s GDP. The medical device market in China has been witnessing strong growth with a growing number of hospitals and increasing demand for medical assistance. According to the China Association for Medical Device Industry, the medical device market size was recorded to be around ~USD 80 billion in 2019. About 70% of the growth was majorly fueled by hospital procurement.
- China has planned many infrastructural development projects, such as the Belt and Road Initiative and infrastructural project, which includes the development of airport (new Beijing airport), roads (30,000 km of highways, with bridges built or upgraded), 30,000 km of high speed rail covering (which is expected to cover more than 80 cities), and 60% of urbanization ratio with permanent residents.
- The Government of India is taking several measures for the promotion of domestic electronics manufacturing industry and exports from the country. For instance, the Modified Special Incentive Package Scheme (M-SIPS) provides a 20-25% subsidy for investments in capital expenditure for setting up an electronics manufacturing facility. So far, 212 projects have been approved with proposed investments of INR 551.82 billion. This boom in electronic products in the country is quite instrumental in propelling the demand for Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) in the electronic industry over the forecast period.
- The aforementioned factors are expected to change the dynamics of the polyvinyl chloride (PVC) market in the region.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Global Polyvinyl Chloride market is highly fragmented among the top five players. The top companies have been focusing on providing better materials for various end-user industries. Major manufacturers of PVCs are Formosa Plastics Corporation, Shin-Etsu Chemical Co. Ltd, Westlake Chemical Corporation, INEOS, and Orbia amongst others.
- In July 2020, KEM ONE entered a partnership with Polyloop to develop PVC recycling. This partnership will result in the combination of their skills and expertise to develop new PVC recycling solutions at the Balan site.
- In February 2020, INEOS and UPM Biofuels announced a long-term agreement to supply a renewable raw material for new and innovative bio-attributed polymers to be produced at INEOS Köln, Germany. The world’s first commercially available bio-attributed PVC uses the residue from a wood pulp manufacturing.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Dominant Position in the Construction Industry
4.1.2 Increasing Applications in the Healthcare Industry
4.2.1 Impact of the COVID-19 Outbreak
4.2.2 Hazardous Impact on Humans and the Environment
4.2.3 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.1.1 Rigid PVC
220.127.116.11 Clear Rigid PVC
18.104.22.168 Non-clear Rigid PVC
5.1.2 Flexible PVC
22.214.171.124 Clear Flexible PVC
126.96.36.199 Non-clear Flexible PVC
5.1.3 Low-smoke PVC
5.1.4 Chlorinated PVC
5.2 Stabilizer Type
5.2.1 Calcium-based Stabilizers (Ca-Zn Stabilizers)
5.2.2 Lead-based Stabilizers (Pb Stabilizers)
5.2.3 Tin and Organotin-based (Sn Stabilizers)
5.2.4 Barium-based and Others (Liquid Mixed Metals)
5.3.1 Pipes and Fittings
5.3.2 Film and Sheets
5.3.3 Wire and Cables
5.3.5 Profiles, Hoses and Tubings
5.3.6 Other Applications
5.4 End-user Industry
5.4.1 Building and Construction
5.4.3 Electrical and Electronics
5.4.7 Other End-user Industries
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.5.2 North America
220.127.116.11 United States
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
5.5.4 South America
126.96.36.199 Rest of South America
5.5.5 Middle-East and Africa
188.8.131.52 Saudi Arabia
184.108.40.206 South Africa
220.127.116.11 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.2 Formosa Plastics Corporation
6.4.4 Inner Mongolia Junzheng Energy & Chemical Group
6.4.5 Kem One SAS
6.4.6 LG Chem
6.4.8 Occidental Petroleum Corporation
6.4.10 Shaanxi Coal and Chemical Industry Group
6.4.11 Shin-Etsu Chemical Co. Ltd.
6.4.12 Tianye Group
6.4.13 Westlake Chemical Corporation
6.4.14 Xinjiang Zhongtai Chemical Co. Ltd
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Accelerating usage in electric vehicles
7.2 Recycled PVC
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Market?
The Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Market is growing at a CAGR of >4% over the next 5 years.
What is Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Market size in 2016?
The Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Market is valued at 45069 Million USD in 2016.
Which region has highest growth rate in Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Market?
- Westlake Chemical Corporation
- Formosa Plastics Corporation
- Shin-etsu Chemicals Limited
Are the major companies operating in Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Market.