Aluminum Market Snapshot
2016 - 2026
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Global Aluminum Market is projected to register a CAGR of over 4% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
Aluminum is used in a huge variety of products including cans, high-rise buildings, foils, kitchen utensils, window frames, beer kegs, automotive, and airplane parts. The building and construction industry was badly affected due to COVID-19, because of a lack of funds, labor shortage, and lockdown regulations, many projects were halted in 2020. Due to a ban on inter-state travel, an exodus of migrant workers wreaked havoc on the supply chain. This caused less consumption of construction materials and decreased demand and supply of construction materials. The automotive industry also faced a decline in production, according to OICA (Organisation Internationale des Constructeurs d'Automobiles), in 2020, 55.8 million passenger cars and 21.78 million commercial vehicles were produced across the world. A total of 77.62 million vehicles were produced in 2020 which is lower by 16% over 2019.
- Over the medium term, the major factor driving the market studied is increasing construction activities in the Asia-Pacific region.
- On the flip side, the slowdown in the global automotive industry and unfavorable conditions arising due to the COVID-19 outbreak are hindering the growth of the market.
- Asia-Pacific region represents the largest market and is also expected to be the fastest-growing market over the forecast period owing to the increasing consumption from countries such as China, India, and Japan.
Scope of the Report
The aluminum market is segmented by processing type, end-user industry, and geography. By processing type, the market is segmented into castings, extrusions, forgings, pigments & powder, rod & bar, and sheet & plate. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into automotive, aerospace & defense, building & construction, electronics, packaging, industrial, and others. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the Aluminum Market in 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (Kilotons) and revenue (USD Million).
|Pigments and Powders|
|Rod and Bar|
|Sheet and Plate|
|Aerospace & Defense|
|Building & Construction|
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from Building & Construction Industry
- Aluminum is a light silver-gray metal with properties such as strong, low density, resistance to corrosion, a good conductor of heat and electricity, and ductile.
- In the building & construction industry, aluminum is the second most widely used metal. It is extensively used in windows, curtain walls, roofing and cladding, solar shading, solar panels, railings, shelves, and other temporary structures, etc.
- Increasing construction activity across the world is one of the key factors driving the market studied in recent times. The construction sector in the Asia-Pacific region is the largest in the world and is increasing at a healthy rate, owing to the rising population, increase in middle-class income, and urbanization.
- In North America, an increase in construction projects and rising investments in the United States and Canada are driving the market studied. This increasing trend is likely to continue, depending on funding for larger projects, such as that of Hudson Yards in New York City, among various others.
- According to World Bank and Mordor Intelligence Analysis, the construction industry spending worldwide in the year 2019 is USD 12 trillion and is forecasted to reach an estimated value of USD 15.3 trillion in the year 2026 which will create the demand for building walls.
- The US Census Bureau has been providing more permits for the construction of new residential buildings due to the current trend of a multi-family building, along with a rise in the migration to cities.
- According to US Census Bureau, construction spending in the United States in both private, as well as public construction in 2020, is around USD 1400 billion. Furthermore, according to StatCan, gross domestic product at basic prices for the construction industry in Canada in the year 2019 is estimated to around 141.22 billion Canadian dollars and is expected to increase during the forecast period.
- Hoverever, the temporary halt in productions due to the lockdowns in various countries has hampered the consumption of aluminum in the sector studied for the short term.
- Overall, the recovering construction activities across the world are expected to drive the demand for aluminum from the building and construction industry during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific region is expected to be the largest market for aluminum during the forecast period. Industries such as electronics, building & construction, aerospace, etc. are increasing in countries such as China, India, Japan among others.
- The electronics manufacturing market in Asia-Pacific is expected to grow rapidly, during the upcoming years, due to the presence of many OEMs in the region. Low cost and the availability of raw materials, coupled with cheap labor, are driving the growth of the sector. The companies in the region provide manufacturing and assembling services to companies in Germany, France, and the United States.
- China has the world’s largest electronics production base. Electronic products, such as smartphones, OLED TVs, tablets, wires, cables, and earphones, recorded the highest growth in the electronics segment. The country serves not only domestic demand for electronics but also exports electronic output to other countries.
- In China, the increase in the disposable production of electronics is projected to grow.
- According to the National Bureau of Statistics of China, in December 2020, retail sales of household appliances and consumer electronics in China had amounted to about 100 billion yuan.
- The Chinese aerospace policy represents one of the most comprehensive attempts to enter the top levels of aerospace development and production. China is expected to be the world’s largest single‐country market for civil aircraft sales, over the next 20 years
- Under the plan, ‘Made in China 2025’, it is expected that China will supply over 10% of homemade commercial aircraft to the domestic market by 2025. This is expected to propel the demand for aluminum during the forecast period.
- Boeing Company has predicted that China would purchase USD 1.1 trillion worth of new aircraft by 2036 after the company announced that it made a sale of USD 37 billion in the country.
- The Chinese automotive manufacturing industry is the largest in the world. The industry witnessed a huge slowdown in 2019, wherein the production and sales declined. A similar trend continued in 2020, with the production witnessing a 2% decrease from 2019 with a production of 25.2 million total vehicles.
- However, the electric vehicles segment in China is increasing thus increasing the market, the electrical vehicle giant company BYD announced that it sold 28,841 electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids in December 2020, which corresponds to an increase of 120 percent compared to December 2019 and an increase of 8 percent compared to the previous month.
- Asia-Pacific has the largest market for aluminum, owing to the massive growth in construction in India, China, and various Southeast Asian countries. Various incentives by the governments of the respective countries to promote the infrastructure sector, coupled with the booming residential sector (owing to the burgeoning middle-class population), have largely facilitated the growth of the construction sector in Asia-Pacific, over the recent years.
- Hence, with the rapidly growing end-user industries in countries of the Asia-Pacific region, the demand for aluminum is also expected to increase significanlty over the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The global aluminum market is partially fragmented in nature. The major companies are Emirates Global Aluminium PJSC, Rio Tinto, Kaiser Aluminum, Xinfa Group Co., Ltd., and RusAL among others.
- In April 2020, Novelis Inc., the world leader in aluminum rolling and recycling announced that it has completed the acquisition of Aleris Corporation, a global supplier of rolled aluminum products.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Construction Activities in Asia-Pacific Region
4.1.2 Other Drivers
4.2.1 Slowdown in the Global Automotive Industry
4.2.2 Unfavorable Conditions Arising Due to COVID-19 Outbreak
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porters Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Import-Export Trends
4.6 Price Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Processing Type
5.1.4 Pigments and Powders
5.1.5 Rod and Bar
5.1.6 Sheet and Plate
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.2 Aerospace & Defense
5.2.3 Building & Construction
18.104.22.168 South Korea
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
220.127.116.11 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
22.214.171.124 South Africa
126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Aluminium Bahrain B.S.C. (Alba)
6.4.2 China Hongqiao Group Limited
6.4.4 Emirates Global Aluminium PJSC
6.4.5 Kaiser Aluminum
6.4.6 Norsk Hydro ASA
6.4.7 Novelis Inc.
6.4.9 Rio Tinto
6.4.10 Xinfa Group Co.,ltd
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Aluminum Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Aluminum Market ?
The Aluminum Market is growing at a CAGR of >4% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Aluminum Market ?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Aluminum Market ?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Aluminum Market ?
- Emirates Global Aluminium PJSC
- Rio Tinto
- Kaiser Aluminum
- Xinfa Group Co., Ltd.
Are the major companies operating in Aluminum Market .