Aluminum Market Size
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
|CAGR:||> 3.5 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Aluminum Market Analysis
The aluminum market is projected to register a CAGR of over 3.5% during the forecast period.
- COVID-19 negatively impacted the market in 2020. Building and construction, a major sink for aluminum, was badly hit, especially due to curtailment in residential real estate resulting in the suspension of home registrations and slow home loan disbursements. However, the sector is recovering well since restrictions were lifted. The aluminum market recovered significantly in 2021-22, owing to rising consumption from various end-user industries such as building and construction, packaging, and others.
- A major factor driving the market studied is the increasing construction activities in the Asia-Pacific region. The rising demand for aluminum from the food, packaging, and pharmaceutical industries will likely favor the market’s growth.
- However, strict regulations and environmental concerns about aluminum processing will likely hamper the market’s growth.
- Growth in the electric vehicles market will likely provide new growth opportunities.
- The Asia-Pacific accounts for the highest market share and is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period.
Aluminum Industry Segmentation
Aluminum (Al) is a lightweight silvery-white metal, the most abundant metallic element in Earth's crust, and the most widely used nonferrous metal. The applications include roofing, foil insulation, windows, cladding, doors, shopfronts, balustrading, and architectural hardware. Aluminum is also commonly used in the form of treadplates and industrial flooring. The aluminum market is segmented by processing type, end-user industry, and geography. By processing type, the market is segmented into castings, extrusions, forgings, flat-rolled products, and pigments and powders. The end-user industry segments the market into automotive, aerospace and defense, building and construction, electrical and electronics, packaging, industrial, and other industries. The report also covers market sizes and forecasts in 15 countries across major regions. The market sizing and forecasts are based on volume (million tons) for each segment.
|Flat Rolled Products|
|Pigments and Powders|
|Aerospace and Defense|
|Building and Construction|
|Electrical and Electronics|
|Other End-user Industries|
Aluminum Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Aluminum Market according to our research experts:
Increasing Demand from the Building and Construction Industry
- In the building and construction industry, aluminum is the second most widely used metal. It is extensively used in windows, curtain walls, roofing and cladding, solar shading, solar panels, railings, shelves, and other temporary structures.
- The revenue of the global construction industry is expected to grow steadily over the next few years. At the end of 2022, it is projected to be around USD 8.2 trillion.
- China includes the largest construction market in the world, encompassing 20% of all construction investments globally. China is expected to spend nearly USD 13 trillion on buildings by 2030. According to the National Bureau of Statistics of China, the total output value of construction businesses in China in the fourth quarter of 2022 was approximately CNY 276 billion (~USD 40 billion), a growth of approximately 50% when compared with the previous quarter (~USD 27.6 billion).
- The privately-owned residential units permitted by building permits were at a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 1,873,000 in December 2021, according to figures published by the US Census Bureau and the US Department of Housing and Urban Development. A total of 1,128,000 single-family permits were issued each year. The yearly rate of unit authorizations in structures with five or more units was 675,000. In 2021, 1,724,700 housing units were scheduled to be granted through building permits. This figure was 17.2% more than the 1,471,100 predicted for 2020.
- India will likely witness an investment of around USD 1.3 trillion in housing over the next seven years, during which it will likely witness the construction of 60 million new homes. The availability rate of affordable housing is expected to rise by around 70% in 2024. The Indian government's 'Housing for All by 2022' is also a major game-changer for the industry.
- The value of construction new work in current prices in Great Britain in 2021 experienced strong growth (15.3%) to GBP 115,579 million (~USD 1,59,008.77 million) after a 15.9% fall to GBP 100,199 million (~ USD 1,28,622.12 million) in 2020.
- Overall, the recovering construction activities worldwide are expected to drive the demand for aluminum from the building and construction industry during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region Expected to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to be the largest market for aluminum during the forecast period. Industries such as electronics, building and construction, aerospace, etc., are growing in countries such as China, India, and Japan.
- The Chinese automotive manufacturing industry is the largest in the world. According to the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers, in 2022, automotive production in the country reached 27.02 million units, which increased by about 3.4%, compared to 26.08 million vehicles produced in 2021.
- India will likely witness an investment of around USD 1.3 trillion in housing over the next seven years, during which it will likely witness the construction of 60 million new homes. The Union Cabinet of India approved the setting up a USD 3.58 billion alternative investment fund (AIF) to revive around 1,600 stalled housing projects across the top cities in the country.
- The Indian electronics market is expected to reach USD 400 billion by 2025. Additionally, India is expected to become the world's fifth-largest consumer electronics and appliances industry by 2025.
- According to the Packaging Industry Association of India (PIAI), the Indian packaging industry is expected to grow at 22% during the forecast period. Moreover, the Indian packaging market is expected to reach USD 204.81 billion by 2025, registering a CAGR of 26.7% between 2020 and 2025.
- In Japan, it is estimated that by 2025, the retail sales in the packaged food market are expected to reach USD 204.5 billion, a growth of 3.6% or USD 7 billion. Such projected growth in the packaging industry will likely drive the demand for aluminum used as foils during the forecast period.
- Hence, with the rapidly growing end-user industries in countries of the Asia-Pacific region, the region is expected to dominate the global market during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Aluminum Industry Overview
The aluminum market is partially fragmented in nature. The major companies include (not in any particular order) Aluminum Corporation of China Limited (CHINALCO), China Hongqiao Group Limited, RusAL, Xinfa Group Co. Ltd., and Rio Tinto, among others.
Aluminum Market Leaders
Aluminum Corporation of China Limited (CHINALCO)
China Hongqiao Group Limited
Xinfa Group Co. Ltd
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Aluminum Market News
- July 2022: Rio Tinto unveils a USD 188 million aluminum investment plan in Canada. The company is planning to grow aluminum billets production by 202,000 metric tonnes. The firm will expand the capacity of the existing casting center at its Alma plant.
- February 2022: Emirates Global Aluminium PJSC, or EGA, plans to construct the United Arab Emirates' largest aluminum recycling facility with a capacity of 150,000 tonnes annually. The plant will turn post-consumer aluminum scrap into low-carbon aluminum billets and pre-consumer aluminum scrap from extrusion operations.
Aluminum Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Construction Activities in the Asia-Pacific Region
4.1.2 Other Drivers
4.2.1 Strict Regulations and Environmental Concerns Related to Aluminum Processing
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Import-Export Trends
4.6 Price Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Volume)
5.1 Processing Type
5.1.4 Flat Rolled Products
5.1.5 Pigments and Powders
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.2 Aerospace and Defense
5.2.3 Building and Construction
5.2.4 Electrical and Electronics
5.2.7 Other End-user Industries
126.96.36.199 South Korea
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
126.96.36.199 Saudi Arabia
188.8.131.52 South Africa
184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%) Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Alcoa Corporation
6.4.2 Aluminum Bahrain B.S.C. (Alba)
6.4.3 Aluminum Corporation of China Limited (CHINALCO)
6.4.4 China Hongqiao Group Limited
6.4.5 East Hope Group
6.4.6 Emirates Global Aluminum PJSC
6.4.7 Novelis Inc.
6.4.8 Norsk Hydro ASA
6.4.9 Rio Tinto
6.4.11 State Power Investment Corporation (SPIC)
6.4.12 Xinfa Group Co. Ltd
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Growth in Electric Vehicles Market
7.2 Other Opportunities
Aluminum Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Aluminum Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Aluminum Market?
The Aluminum Market is growing at a CAGR of >3.5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Aluminum Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018-2028.
Which region has largest share in Aluminum Market?
Asia-Pacific holds highest share in 2022.
Who are the key players in Aluminum Market?
Aluminum Corporation of China Limited (CHINALCO), China Hongqiao Group Limited, Xinfa Group Co. Ltd, Rio Tinto, RusAL are the major companies operating in Aluminum Market.
Aluminum Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Aluminum market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Aluminum analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.