NAND Flash Memory Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
NAND Flash Memory Market Analysis
The NAND flash memory market was valued at USD 66.52 billion in 2021, and it is expected to reach a value of USD 94.24 billion by 2027, registering a CAGR of 5.33% over the forecast period 2022 - 2027. The current macro trends of AI and machine learning, mobility, and connectivity are favorable to the NAND markets and are expected to increase their share in the semiconductor market.
- With the rise of PCs and smartphones, NAND flash consumption is dramatically increasing, much of which is attributed to the growth of the average capacity in smartphones. This is expected to drive the demand for NAND flash packaging, thus influencing the demand for memory packaging.
- According to Micron, an average smartphone contains 43 GB of NAND flash storage, and it is expected to grow substantially over the next four years. By 2021, the company estimates that the average phone may have 142 GB of NAND flash storage, with flagship devices having one terabyte of flash storage.
- Other consumer products such as tablets and cameras, along with industrial equipment and sensors, automotive systems, and medical devices, rely upon flash memory, which is integrated alongside their processors, and stores both data and the code they execute. As demand for massive data processing for artificial intelligence and machine learning applications grows, the trend for flash-based storage will continue to evolve.
- Production of China-based NAND flash vendors was not severely affected by the outbreak of novel COVID-19. This is because the plants are highly automated, have relatively low demands for manpower, and operators are also stocked up with raw materials before the Chinese Lunar New Year. Foundry output was delivered to customers in China because semiconductor fabrication plants hold national special licenses. These allow them to ship their products throughout domestic China, even with cities under quarantine.
- The electronics device sector is anticipated to be impacted significantly by the COVID-19 outbreak, as China is one of the major suppliers of raw materials and finished products. The industry faced a reduction in production, disruption in the supply chain, and price fluctuations. The sales of prominent electronic companies were affected during the period. The travel restriction on both people and products hampered the market's growth in the short run.
NAND Flash Memory Industry Segments
NAND flash is a kind of non-volatile storage technology that does not require power to retain data. In other words, it is a form of electronically erasable programmable read-only memory (EEPROM). It is programmed, erased, and reprogrammed in large blocks. It's called NAND because, at the circuit level, it's similar to the NAND logic function. The scope of the study covers the market on the basis of the type of NAND and different applications in smartphones, SSD, Memory Card, and Tablet PC across the globe.
The NAND flash memory market is segmented by type (SLC, MLC, and TLC), structure (2-D structure and 3-D structure), application (smartphones, SSD, memory cards, and tablets), and geography.
|SLC (One-Bit Per Cell)|
|MLC (Two-Bit Per Cell)|
|TLC (Three-Bit Per Cell)|
|QLC (Quad Level Cell)|
|Middle-East and Africa|
NAND Flash Memory Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the NAND Flash Memory Market according to our research experts:
The Smartphone Segment is Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- Flash memory storage has become an essential component in smartphones. The NAND flash demand has been growing exponentially, primarily driven by the growth of the average capacity in smartphones.
- NAND flash memory in smartphones can significantly enhance the performance of web browsing, email loading, games, and even social network sites such as Facebook. With the increasing adoption of smartphones, companies are adding extra features and applications to differentiate their products from other manufacturers.
- For instance, manufacturers are integrating features such as gesture control, fingerprint scanners, and GPS into the devices. This is boosting the demand for NAND flash memory, which is used as code storage media for smartphones.
- With 5G wireless communication on its way, the use of smartphones would increase multifold, increasing the need for the latest models to raise the bar continuously. For instance, according to the Ericsson Mobility report, in the North American region, 5G subscriptions are expected to account for 55% of mobile subscriptions by the end of 2024.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific to Hold a Significant Market Share
- Asia-Pacific is one of the biggest markets for NAND flash memories across the globe. The region has a very high demand from almost all the end-user applications, primarily led by the demand for smartphones in multiple developing countries in the region, such as China, India, and Indonesia.
- Also, there is a high activity from the semiconductor fabrication facilities in countries like China, Korea, and Singapore. An immense amount of capital is directed into the Chinese market by several multinational memory manufacturers, especially boosted by the country’s government initiatives, such as Made in China 2025. The country’s ambitious goal is to reach USD 305 billion in semiconductor output by the year 2030 and meet at least 80% of the domestic demand for semiconductors, which is expected to draw more investments into the country over the forecast period.
- Multiple new companies in China, such as Yangtze River Storage Technology, Fujian Jin Hua, Hua Li, and Hefei Chang Xin Memory, are expected to invest heavily in the region. These companies are also expected to double their equipment investments.
- Owing to such development in multiple countries, various competitors in the region are intensifying their efforts for expansion. For instance, as of February 2019, SK Hynix, one of the world’s largest memory-chip makers, announced that it is planning to invest a huge sum of USD 106 billion, primarily to establish four new semiconductor fabrication plants in South Korea. In April 2021, the company held a completion ceremony for its new fabrication plant M16 at headquarters located in Icheon, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
NAND Flash Memory Market Competitor Analysis
The NAND flash memory market is dominated by major vendors, such as Intel, Micron Technology, Samsung Electronics, SanDisk, SK Hynix, and Toshiba. As the entry barriers in the market are high, the entry of new players is difficult. The existing vendors in the market are investing heavily in the R&D of new and innovative products.
- December 2021 - SK Hynix announced the acquisition of Intel's NAND unit for an investment of USD 9 billion. The company aims to focus on completing another integration process by 2025. Thus, such developments are driving the market.
- November 2021 - Mercury Systems Inc. announced the launch of the NAND flash non-volatile memory device. The new device features a plastic ball-grid array (BGA) package to meet NASA's EEE-INST-002 space-grade application guidelines for ultra-high density memory storage applications in high-radiation environments like space.
NAND Flash Memory Market Top Players
Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd
Micron Technology Inc.
SK Hynix Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
NAND Flash Memory Market Recent Developments
- August 2022 - SK hynix announced its plans to mass-produce the industry‘s first 238-layer four-dimensional NAND flash memory in the first half of 2023.
- December 2021 - Floadia announced to have developed a flash memory that can store seven bits of data per cell (7bpc) for ten years at 150°C. Floadia's new memory can store more charges per cell and has longer retention than regular flash memory so that it can store data without power for longer periods.
- June 2021 - Micron Technology unveiled recent memory and storage products that can serve data-driven businesses as the data economy continues to develop. The new flash memory and dynamic random-access memory (DRAM) chips were designed to deal with the bottleneck in feeding data between memory, storage, and processing solutions in modern computers.
NAND Flash Memory Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Assessment of Impact of COVID-19 on the Industry
4.5 Market Drivers
4.5.1 Increasing Demand for Data Centers
4.5.2 Increasing Proliferation of 5G and IOT Devices
4.6 Market Restraints
4.6.1 Reliability Issues
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 SLC (One-Bit Per Cell)
5.1.2 MLC (Two-Bit Per Cell)
5.1.3 TLC (Three-Bit Per Cell)
5.1.4 QLC (Quad Level Cell)
5.2.1 2D Structure
5.2.2 3D Structure
5.3.3 Memory Card
5.3.5 Other Applications
5.4.1 North America
5.4.3 Asia Pacific
5.4.4 Latin America
5.4.5 Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd
6.1.2 KIOXIA Corporation
6.1.3 Micron Technology Inc.
6.1.4 SK Hynix Inc.
6.1.5 Intel Corporation
6.1.6 Yangtze Memory Technologies
6.1.7 SanDisk Corp. (Western Digital Technologies Inc.)
6.1.8 Powerchip Technology Corporation
6.1.9 Cypress Semiconductor Corporation
7. VENDOR MARKET POSITIONING
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
NAND Flash Memory Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The NAND Flash Memory Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of NAND Flash Memory Market?
The NAND Flash Memory Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.33% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in NAND Flash Memory Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in NAND Flash Memory Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in NAND Flash Memory Market?
Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd, KIOXIA Corporation, Micron Technology Inc., SK Hynix Inc., Intel Corporation are the major companies operating in NAND Flash Memory Market.
NAND Flash Memory Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the NAND Flash Memory sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The NAND Flash Memory research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the NAND Flash Memory report PDF.