Meningococcal Vaccines Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Meningococcal Vaccines Market Analysis
The meningococcal vaccines market is expected to register a CAGR of around 9.5% over the forecast period.
- The COVID-19 pandemic had a significant impact on the market studied in the initial phase of the pandemic as people were not able to get the scheduled vaccinations owing to the lockdown and restrictions on hospital visits for non-emergency services. Various studies have found that few cases of meningitis suffered from COVID-19 over the years. For instance, as per the data from the BMC Infectious Disease report published in February 2022, one of the most common causes of invasive bacterial infections, such as pneumonia, sepsis, and meningitis, is streptococcus pneumonia. However, increased awareness program associated with education relating to the importance of treating infections is likely to boost the market growth.
- For instance, as per the November 2022 update from the Government of Western Australia Department of Health, the School-Based Immunization Program (SBIP) is likely to be supplying Diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis (dTpa), HPV (human papillomavirus), Meningococcal ACWY, and COVID-19 vaccines to the students from 2023 onwards. Hence, such immunization programs create a demand for preventive vaccines, which is anticipated to drive market growth over the forecast period.
- The major factors for the growth of the meningococcal vaccine market include the increase in public-private partnerships to support the development of vaccines at low cost and rising immunization programs and government initiatives.
- The increasing focus of companies to develop novel vaccines in the field of meningococcal disease is contributing to market growth. For instance, in April 2022, experts from the University of Maryland School of Medicine (UMSOM) announced a new study in which they are evaluating the pentavalent or five-in-one meningococcal conjugate vaccine (NmCV-5) among infants and young children in the meningitis belt of sub-Saharan Africa.
- This is the final investigation to undergo for obtaining the prequalification from the World Health Organization for this vaccine, and if it qualifies the same, it will be launched in the low-and-middle-income countries. Hence, with such new vaccines, the market studied is getting benefits. Also, there is a rising public-private partnership to support the development of vaccines and create awareness among the population. Hence, the Meningococcal vaccine market is expected to witness high growth over the forecast period. However, the high cost associated with the storage and supply of vaccines is expected to hinder market growth.
Meningococcal Vaccines Industry Segmentation
Meningococcal meningitis is a rare but potentially devastating bacterial infection that targets the brain. Despite growing advances in medical care, the disease can kill the host within a relatively short time span. The meningococcal vaccine refers to any of the vaccines used to prevent infection by Neisseria meningitis, and there are various types of vaccines available on the market.
The meningococcal vaccines market is segmented by type (polysaccharide vaccines, conjugate vaccines, combination vaccines, and other types), end-user (hospitals, pharmacy stores, other end-users), and geography (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Middle East, and Africa, and South America). The market report also covers the estimated market sizes and trends for 17 different countries across major regions globally.
The report offers the value (in USD) for the above segments.
Meningococcal Vaccines Market Trends
Polysaccharide Vaccine is Expected to Witness High Growth Over the Forecast Period
- Internationally marketed meningococcal polysaccharide vaccines are bivalent (A and C), trivalent (A, C, and W-135), or tetravalent (A, C, Y, and W-135). The vaccines are purified, heat-stable, lyophilized capsular polysaccharides from meningococci of the respective serogroups. The vaccines have helped curb the exponential growth of the disease and are expected to do so in the future as well. This is expected to help the market growth.
- The polysaccharide vaccines continue to witness high traction from developing countries due to limited supply by few vaccine manufacturers; market forerunners are collaborating with local distributors to expand their footprint. Initiatives such as product approvals are another factor in segmental growth. For instance, in September 2022, Pfizer Inc.'s investigational Group B Streptococcus (GBS) vaccine candidate, GBS6 or PF-06760805, received Breakthrough Therapy Designation from the US FDA for the prevention of invasive GBS disease due to the vaccine serotypes in newborns and young infants by active immunization of their mothers during pregnancy. Hexavalent anti-capsular polysaccharide (CPS) / cross-reactive material 197 glycoconjugates (GBS6) is an investigational maternal vaccine being developed to help prevent invasive Group B Streptococcus (GBS) in newborns. Thus, such approvals are expected to increase its adoption, which is expected to increase segmental growth over the forecast period.
- Data published in 2021 by the National Institute of Health (NIH) suggests that people with diabetes are two times more likely to be infected with meningitis. Diabetes is one of the most significant risk factors associated with meningitis. As per the 2022 data from the International Diabetes Federation, around 537 million people were living with diabetes across the globe in 2021. Diabetes is one of the leading risk factors associated with the infection of meningitis.
- Hence, owing to the above-mentioned factors, it is expected that the segment will witness healthy growth over the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America is Expected to Hold Largest Market Share over the Forecast Period
- The United States is expected to be the largest meningococcal vaccine market owing to the rising awareness of the disease and the presence of better healthcare infrastructure. The rates of meningococcal disease have been declining in the United States since the 1990s. As per the data published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there has been an outbreak of meningococcal diseases in Florida, United States, in 2021. In an effort to contain this outbreak, the CDC has strongly recommended that gay and bisexual men residing in Florida receive the MenACWY vaccine. This proactive measure has raised awareness among the population and significantly increased the demand for meningococcal vaccines across the nation.
- As the United States has the most developed healthcare system across the globe, vaccination is the major priority for the government in the country. As a result, timely vaccination is carried out in the United States, which is further augmenting the growth of the meningococcal vaccine market in the country.
- For instance, in the United States, the Meningitis Foundation of America (MFA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing information and support to individuals who have had personal experiences with meningitis. Also, this foundation is to create awareness in the public and the medical communities about the initial symptoms of meningitis. Thus, owing to the above-mentioned factors, the meningococcal vaccine market is expected to witness steady growth over the forecast period.
- In addition, the COVID-19 pandemic reduced the vaccination rate in the United States during the years 2020 and 2021. For instance, as per the data published by WHO in May 2022, only 25 other vaccines apart from COVID-19 were introduced during the year 2021 in the United States. Additionally, the coverage of vaccination rate dropped from 86% in 2019 to 81% in 2021. However, currently, vaccinations are being given as per the schedule, and it is believed that the vaccination rate will go high rapidly in the coming years.
- Hence, owing to the above-mentioned factors, it is believed that the United States will witness a strong share in the global meningococcal vaccine market.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Meningococcal Vaccines Industry Overview
The market studied is a moderately fragmented market owing to the presence of a few major market players. The key market players are employing various strategies such as partnerships, new product launches, and expansion to sustain themselves in the market. Some of the market players are Bio-Manguinhos, Biomed Pvt. Ltd, GlaxoSmithKline plc, Merck & Co., Inc., Novartis AG, Pfizer Inc., Sanofi Pasteur Inc., and Serum Institute of India Ltd., among others.
Meningococcal Vaccines Market Leaders
Poonawalla Investments & Industries Pvt. Ltd. (Serum Institute of India Ltd.)
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Meningococcal Vaccines Market News
- May 2022: GlaxoSmithKline made a significant announcement, revealing its intention to invest up to USD 3.3 billion in the acquisition of the privately held biopharmaceutical firm Affinivax. This strategic move aims to strengthen GSK's vaccine pipeline, a crucial focus area as the British pharmaceutical company prepares to separate its consumer unit.
- March 2022: The University of Maryland School of Medicine (UMSOM) spearheaded a research initiative aimed at evaluating the efficacy of the meningococcal vaccine for infants and young children in Africa. The successful outcome of this study could potentially pave the way for approval by the World Health Organization (WHO) for the vaccine's use in this region.
Meningococcal Vaccines Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Increase in Public-Private Partnerships to Support Development of Vaccines at Low Cost
4.2.2 Rising Immunization Programs and Government Initiatives
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 High Cost Associated with Storage and Supply of Vaccines
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Type
5.1.1 Polysaccharide Vaccines
5.1.2 Conjugate Vaccines
5.1.3 Combination Vaccines
5.1.4 Other Types
5.2 By End-User
5.2.2 Pharmacy Stores
5.2.3 Other End-Users
5.3.1 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
184.108.40.206 South Korea
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 Middle East and Africa
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 Rest of Middle East and Africa
5.3.5 South America
126.96.36.199 Rest of South America
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.2 Biomed Pvt. Ltd
6.1.3 GlaxoSmithKline plc
6.1.4 Merck & Co., Inc.
6.1.5 Novartis AG
6.1.6 Pfizer Inc.
6.1.7 Sanofi Pasteur Inc.
6.1.8 Serum Institute of India Ltd.
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Meningococcal Vaccines Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Meningococcal Vaccines Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Meningococcal Vaccines Market?
The Meningococcal Vaccines Market is growing at a CAGR of 9.5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Meningococcal Vaccines Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Meningococcal Vaccines Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Meningococcal Vaccines Market?
GlaxoSmithKline plc, Novartis AG, Pfizer Inc., Sanofi, Poonawalla Investments & Industries Pvt. Ltd. (Serum Institute of India Ltd.) are the major companies operating in Meningococcal Vaccines Market.
Global Meningococcal Vaccines Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Meningococcal Vaccines market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Meningococcal Vaccines analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2023 to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.