Hong Kong Self-Storage Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|CAGR:||> 10 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Hong Kong Self-Storage Market Analysis
The Hong Kong Self-storage market is expected to register CAGR of over 10% during the forecast period 2022 - 2027. The growth can be attributed to the increasing difficulty in finding spaces for commerce. Moreover, in Hong Kong, people live in small, expensive flats and generally lack space to store their items like old books and clothes. The market sizing estimates reflect the number of self-storage facilities in the region and the space available for renting or leasing units to personal and business end users for storage.
- The living space per person in Hong Kong is much less compared to developed economies like the United States. To provide more context, according to the Census and Statistics Department of Hong Kong, in 2021, the average living space of public rental housing tenants in Hong Kong was 13.5 sq. m per person, and it has historically remained between 13 to 13.5 sq. m from 2017 to 2021.
- In addition to the acceleration provided by the COVID-19 pandemic, the context of smaller living spaces in the residential area of Hong Kong predates itself as a driving force of the market studied. Residents have opted for self-storage units in the region to store unworn seasonal clothes, unnecessary furniture, important heirlooms, etc., to save space in their small compact living spaces. Increased urbanization and the rise of micro-apartments in Hong Kong have supported the demand for self-storage units.
- Furthermore, downsizing businesses, especially small and medium-sized enterprises, to combat the dip in demand during the COVID-19 pandemic led to the more extensive use of self-storage facilities. The demand is driven by the likes of the restaurant sector, which was compelled to store unused appliances in the facilities, thereby creating a positive impact on the market studied. According to the Hong Kong Federation of Restaurants & Related Trades, around 1,200 restaurants had to suspend operations in February 2022 as new lockdown measures were imposed.
- There is going to be a significant impact on the growingself-storagee industryinf the region. The investors might find it challenging to get additional capital from financial institutions to expand their facilities in the near future. However, the market is expected to experience a strong demand on account of employees who would need extra space as they work from home and students who would need space to store their essentials after being asked to vacate their campuses.
- COVID-19 has impacted several economies and industries; however, some industries continue to expand steadily. The self-storage industry has not been severely affected by the pandemic and has grown gradually with the consumer demand for storage. Because of the city's limited space, Hong Kong has several local storage providers.
Hong Kong Self-Storage Industry Segments
The self-storage market is gaining pace in Hong Kong in the past two decades. Corporates are increasingly using self-storage facilities in Hong Kong, where finding sufficient office space can be a tricky proposition. The Hong Kong Self-storage Market is Segmented by End User (Personal, Business).
Hong Kong Self-Storage Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Hong Kong Self-Storage Market according to our research experts:
Personal Segment is Expected to drive the market growth
- Mostly, the people in Hong Kong use self-storage during house-shifting. At the same time, in-home remodeling or even painting the house, short- to medium-term storage necessities may develop; storing items in short-term self-storage is a suitable option for moving objects. Also, self-storage can relieve stress by protecting personal belongings from damage while repairs are underway.
- Further, the increasing migration from the region has significantly contributed to the self-storage market’s growth rate. In 2021, data from the city’s Census and Statistics Department indicated that net migration out of Hong Kong reached roughly 90,000 after Beijing imposed the national security law.
- When people travel for work or pleasure, leaving their belongings unattended can be highly perilous, particularly if they contain assets like valuable jewelry and vehicles. Instead of immediately selling belongings to the highest bidder and incurring a loss overall, customers consider a practical alternative like self-storage when moving abroad on secondment for employment. Larger objects like furniture, television, artwork, book collections, bicycles, and cars can be stored in moderately cost storage containers so that they are in better condition when consumers return from their trip.
- Self-storage businesses have expanded all over Asia, remodeling aging facilities and preparing brand-new construction. Numerous businesses doubled the floor space of their current locations in Hong Kong. For instance, companies such as Storefriendly, Storage One, and others opened new facilities in 2021 to meet consumer demand. With growing urbanization and lifestyle changes, the self-storage market is expected to grow significantly during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Increasing Population Density and Rising Consumerism is one of the Drivers of the Market
- Hong Kong has experienced high residential prices and smaller unit sizes. This, combined with high-income levels for a certain section of the population and a consumption-driven society, is generating considerable demand for self-storage. According to a report by the New York Times, a home in Hong Kong costs more than 20 times the median salary of the people.
- The market studied is also characterized by consumers’ aversion to paying a significant amount as a security deposit to rent a storage unit. Although most players in the market are operational to procure the deposit, the user preference of not being willing to pay upfront can profoundly influence the current payment structure of the market in the long term.
- Additionally, according to a survey conducted by Greenpeace, Hong Kong ranked at the top or second in 10 out of 12 indicators that confirmed a tendency to excessively spend on material goods due to an unhealthy reliance on shopping.
- As consumers expect next-day deliveries, companies have come to value logistics even more and have resorted to self-storage. Multiple market vendors have acted positively on a similar note. Along with the rising growth of the e-commerce sector in Hong Kong, niche service demands, like climate-controlled environments and specialized spaces, are expected to provide growth opportunities to the self-storage market in the near term.
- The expansion of e-commerce and the opening of smaller e-shops is also expected to act as a significant growth driver for the market. Larger e-commerce firms are increasingly using third-party logistic services due to lack of space. Further, according to the Hong Kong Trade Development Council, e-commerce is expected to account for 6.1% of total retail sales by 2021.
Hong Kong Self-Storage Market Competitor Analysis
The competitive landscape of the Hong Kong Self-Storage Market is extremely fragmented, with more than 90 operators handling about 415 odd facilities in the region. The growing need for self-storage facilities is expected to aid new players in entering the market. Some of the recent developments in the market are as follows:-
- February 2022 - Apple Storage Group, which manages more than 100 self-storage facilities in Hong Kong, introduced a new line of products called "Apple Storage Premium," which attempts to integrate self-storage with office space, warehouse management, and clubhouse-style consulting. Individuals and business owners who require a location to store and ship their items will be the target market for the company's new service.
Hong Kong Self-Storage Market Top Players
Storefriendly Self Storage Group
Apple Storage (tai Yau Storage Group Limited)
Cube Self Storage
Red Box Storage
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Hong Kong Self-Storage Market Recent Developments
- May 2022 - Brookfield announced that it would acquire industrial assets in Hong Kong's New Territories from HanisonConstruction for HKD211.3 million, following closely behind the Canadian asset management’s purchase of local self-storage company RedBox.
- February 2022 - In Sha Tin, Hong Kong, StorHubSelf Storage announced the inauguration of its third storage facility. It offers clients in the area with reliable and professional self-storage options and is conveniently located at 22-28 Wo Shui Street, FoTan.
Hong Kong Self-Storage Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Threat Of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growing Population Density is the Key Driver of the Market
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Lack of Enough Space to Build Self-storage Facilities
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Storefriendly Self Storage Group
7.1.2 SC Storage
7.1.3 Apple Storage (tai Yau Storage Group Limited)
7.1.4 Cube Self Storage
7.1.5 Red Box Storage
7.1.6 Spacebox Limited
7.1.7 Boxful Self Storage
7.1.8 In N Out Storage
7.1.9 Hongkong Storage
7.1.10 Metropolitan Lifestyle (H.K) Limited.
7.1.11 Extra Space Pte Ltd
7.1.12 Storhub Self Storage
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Hong Kong Self-Storage Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Hong Kong Self-Storage Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Hong Kong Self-Storage Market ?
The Hong Kong Self-Storage Market is growing at a CAGR of >10% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Hong Kong Self-Storage Market ?
Storefriendly Self Storage Group, Sc Storage, Apple Storage (tai Yau Storage Group Limited), Cube Self Storage, Red Box Storage are the major companies operating in Hong Kong Self-Storage Market .
Hong Kong Self-Storage Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Hong Kong Self-Storage Market sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Hong Kong Self-Storage Market research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Hong Kong Self-Storage Market report PDF.