Accelerometer Market is expected to register a CAGR of 2.97% over the forecast period (2018 - 2023). The report discusses the various types of end users for these solutions. The regions considered in the scope of the report, include North America, Europe, and others. The study also emphasizes on the impact of the emergence of MEMS technology on the current market scenario.
Accelerometers, a type of inertial sensors, are used to measure the acceleration of a moving body. Accelerometers have applications in automobiles, phones, tablets, machines, aircrafts, missiles, and others. The use of accelerometers is increasing due their applications in various configurations. This has aided in the measurement of acceleration from small vibrations. The large-scale deployment of accelerometers was initially hampered by the large size and exorbitant costs. However, the inertial systems manufacturing techniques have witnessed a paradigm shift in this century. Additionally, the emergence of the MEMS technology has resulted in miniaturization of mechanical and electro-mechanical elements in the field of sensors and semiconductors, through the use of micro-fabrication and micro-machining techniques. This has supported the rapid adoption of accelerometers in portable devices, as they offer enhanced capabilities in a small unit size.
Increasing Use of High-End Accelerometers in the Aerospace & Defense Sector to Drive the Market
The tactical grade of modern high-end accelerometers has penetrated into various defense applications market. The demand in the commercial aerospace sector is driving the demand for high-end IMUs. Boeing’s aerospace study revealed that, over the next three decades there would be a demand of 35,200 new jet aircraft, globally. MEMS accelerators are used in inertial navigation applications to calculate the direction and speed of ships, aircraft, submarines, guided missiles, and spacecraft. High accelerometers have replaced the fragile high-end electromechanical devices. To meet the increasing demand for IMUs and AHRS systems for military applications, market players are producing custom MEMS-based accelerometers, with enhanced bias stability.
Tactical grade inertial applications, high-stability military, aerospace, and industrial tilt applications are expected to boost the demand for inertial systems, thus, driving the accelerometer market.
Consumer Electronics is the Largest Market
There has been increase in the number of electronic devices that incorporate accelerometers for orientation detection of electronic devices. Freefall sensors used in these devices are accelerometers that are used to detect if the system is being dropped from a certain height. They are also being included in various other electronics goods produced by different manufacturers. Advancements in the MEMS technology is reflected in the market of accelerometers, as they are now used in a wide spectrum of consumer electronics applications, particularly, the next-generation devices. The demand for small-sized, low-power MEMS accelerometers in consumer electronic products, such as smartphones, smart appliances, remote controls, mobile internet devices, personal navigation devices, etc., is increasing.
The increasing interest in the intuitive motion-based interfaces in mobile devices for realistic experiences, such as gesture recognition, shaking, double tap, others, is further driving the market.
Asia-Pacific - Fastest Growing Market
The rise in demand for unmanned vehicles, such as autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV), unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), and remotely operated vehicle (ROV) across various areas, in both civilian and defense applications, has fuelled the growth of the Asia-Pacific inertial navigation system market. The defense sector has been a major contributing factor in determining the usage of the accelerometers in the countries. China has the largest market share, with an increase in the defense budgets by 5% in year 2016, compared to the previous year. It is expected to invest robustly in the military and defense aircraft and commercial applications in near future, further creating a huge opportunity for the growth of the accelerometer market in the country.
Key Developments in the Market
- November 2017: Bosch Sensortec announced that it had received the title of CES 2018 Innovation Awards Honoree for its BMA400 ultra-low power accelerometer, designed for wearables and Internet of Things (IoT) applications in the embedded technologies category.
- May 2017: TDK Corporation announced that it had completed the all-cash acquisition of InvenSense. The acquisition price was USD 13 per share (of InvenSense). The total acquisition price was approximately USD 1.3 billion.
- March 2017: Analog Devices Inc. announced an accelerometer designed for long-period monitoring of the physical condition of high-value assets. The ADXL372 micro power high-g MEMS accelerometer targets Internet of Things (IoT) solutions, where shock and impact on a unit during storage, transit, or use, would adversely affect its function, safety, or reliability.
Major Players: Analog Devices Inc., Robert Bosch GmbH, Honeywell International Inc., TDK InvenSense, iXblue, Kearfott Corporation, Al Cielo Inertial Solutions Ltd, Meggitt (Orange County), Inc., Northrop Grumman LITEF GmbH, STMicroelectronics, Silicon Sensing Systems Limited, Atlantic Inertial Systems Ltd, and Rockwell Automation, Inc., among others.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Analyzing the growing demand for navigation in consumer electronics and its effects on market scenario.
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- The end-user segment that is expected to dominate the market.
- The region that is expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period.
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3 months analyst support,
- along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel)
Customization of the Report
- This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our representative, who will ensure you get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
1.4 Key Findings of the Study
2. Research Approach and Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Factors Driving the Market
4.2.1 Emergence of the MEMS Technology
4.2.2 Increasing Demand from Consumer Electronics
4.2.3 Growing Aerospace & Defense Sector (High-end Accelerometers)
4.3 Factors Restraining the Market
4.3.1 Costs and Complexity Concerns
4.4 Industry Attractiveness – Porter's Five Industry Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products or Services
4.4.5 Competitive Rivalry among Existing Competitors
5. Technology Snapshot
6. Global Accelerometers Market - Segmentation
6.1 By End User
6.1.1 Aerospace & Defense
6.1.3 Consumer Electronics
6.1.5 Others (Healthcare, Energy, etc.)
6.2 By Region
6.2.1 North America
220.127.116.11 United States
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
126.96.36.199 South Korea
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
6.2.4 Rest of the World
7. Competitive Intelligence – Company Profiles
7.1 Analog Devices Inc.
7.2 Robert Bosch GmbH
7.3 Honeywell International Inc
7.4 TDK InvenSense
7.6 Kearfott Corporation
7.7 Al Cielo Inertial Solutions Ltd
7.8 Meggitt (Orange County) Inc.
7.9 Northrop Grumman LITEF GmbH
7.11 Silicon Sensing Systems Limited
7.12 Atlantic Inertial Systems Ltd
7.13 Rockwell Automation Inc.
*List is Not Exhaustive
8. Investment Analysis
9. Outlook of the Accelerometers Market