Europe Paints & Coatings Industry Overview
|CAGR:||> 3 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Europe Paints & Coatings Market Analysis
The European paints and coatings market is expected to reach USD 31,000 million by the end of this year and is projected to register a CAGR of over 3% during the forecast period.
The market was negatively affected by COVID-19 in 2020. Several countries in the region went into lockdown, which halted all manufacturing and construction activities. However, the market is projected to grow steadily, owing to increased building and construction activities in 2021.
- Over the short term, the consistent growth registered by the European construction industry and the rising demand from the wind turbine industry with the growth in the packaging industry is expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
- On the flip side, the rise in the prices of raw materials and the unavailability of substitutes for banned lead chromate used in industrial coatings are expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- The use of nanotechnology in paints and coatings and the increase in the demand for bio-based and eco-friendly paints and coatings are likely to act as opportunities in the future.
- Germany dominates the market across Europe due to increasing demand in the construction industry.
Europe Paints & Coatings Industry Segments
Paint is any liquid or liquefiable colored substance which spreads over a surface and dries to leave a thin decorative or protective coating. The coating is a covering applied or deposited onto a substrate to enhance the surface properties for decoration, corrosion, and wear protection. Paints and coatings find major applications in the architectural industry as decorative and protective coatings. The European paints and coatings market is segmented by resin type, technology, end-user, and geography. By resin type, the market is segmented into acrylic, alkyl, polyurethane, epoxy, polyester, and other resin types. By technology, the market is segmented into water-borne, solvent-borne, powder, and UV-cured coating. By end user, the market is segmented into architectural, automotive, wood, protective coatings, general industrial, transportation, and packaging. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the European paints and coatings market in seven countries across the region. For all the segments, For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of revenue (USD million).
|Other Resin Types|
|UV Cured Coatings|
|Rest of Europe|
Europe Paints & Coatings Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Europe Paints & Coatings Market according to our research experts:
Increasing Demand from the Architectural Industry
- Architectural paints and coatings are, by far, the largest segment in the whole paints and coatings industry. Architectural coatings are meant to protect and decorate the surface features. These are used to coat buildings and homes. Most are designated for specific uses, such as roof coatings, wall paints, or deck finishes. No matter its use, each architectural coating must provide certain decorative, durable, and protective functions.
- Architectural coatings are used in applications ranging from commercial purposes, such as factories, office buildings, warehouses, retail convenience stores, and shopping malls, to residential buildings. Such coatings can be applied on the outer and inner surfaces, and they include sealers or specialty products.
- According to the Institut national de la statistique et des études économiques (INSEE), the monthly number of construction starts on residential buildings (except residences for communities) in France valued at 34,100 units in March 2022 and registered growth when compared to 26,600 units in February 2022.
- According to the Office For National Statistics, the value of new construction in current prices in Great Britain in 2021 experienced strong growth (15.3%) to EUR 115,579 million ( USD 123018.82 million), after a 15.9% fall to EUR 100,199 million (USD 106648.81 million) in 2020.
- Paints and coatings are applied on the exterior of the house, not only to give them a new look but also to protect it from blistering summers, freezing winters, soaking rain, and the daily bombardment of UV radiation without fading, peeling away, and cracking.
- A survey by the Office for National Statistics says that the number of households in the United Kingdom reached 28,082 in 2021 and registered growth compared to 27,824 in 2020.
- Developments in the construction sector are partly due to the robust economic growth and its positive implications on corporate profits, household income, and the state of public finances. The construction activities in countries such as Germany, France, the United Kingdom, etc., are expected to drive the growth of the market.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Germany to Dominate the Market
- In Europe, Germany has the largest paints and coatings industry which, in turn, translates to the largest paints and coatings market. The country has seen some production expansion in recent years by the paints and coatings industry.
- Germany leads Europe’s automotive market with 44 assembly and engine production plants contributing to one-third of Europe's total automobile production. According to OICA, Germany produced 3,308,692 units in 2021.
- Also, Germany has the largest construction industry in Europe. The residential construction segment is expected to have moderately high growth. According to industry experts, the recent positive migration to the country stimulates the demand for new residential construction.
- According to the Statistisches Bundesamt, the number of building permits for residential buildings in Germany reached 128,000 in 2021, compared to 125,000 in 2020.
- The furniture market is also an important sector in the German economy, constituting around 7% of the total consumer goods market in Germany.
- According to the Statistisches Bundesamt, the revenue of the furniture industry in Germany was valued at EUR 19.62 billion (USD 20.87 billion) in 2021 and grew compared to EUR 19.16 billion (USD 20.38 billion) in 2020,
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Europe Paints & Coatings Market Competitor Analysis
The European paints and coatings market is partially fragmented in nature, The major players include Akzo Nobel NV, BASF SE, PPG Industries, Inc., Hempel A/S, and Beckers Group among others (not in any particular order).
Europe Paints & Coatings Market Top Players
Akzo Nobel N.V.
PPG Industries, Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Europe Paints & Coatings Market Recent Developments
- In November 2022, PPG launched its latest powder coatings developments, including PPG ENVIROCRON Extreme Protection Edge, PPG Envirocorn, and PPG Envirocorn LUM, which finds its major application in the metal fabrication industries. Through the product launch, the company has strengthened its product portfolio.
- In June 2022, Hempel launched a new fast-drying CUI coating (CUI 275), Hempaprime CUI 275, designed to increase productivity and improve corrosion protection at energy generation and oil and gas facilities.
- In May 2021, PPG announced the successful acquisition of Worwag, strengthening its product portfolio with specialized sustainable liquid, powder, and film coatings products.
Europe Paints & Coatings Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Consistent Growth Registered by the European Construction Industry
4.1.2 Rising Demand From Wind Turbine Industry
4.1.3 Growth in Packaging Industry
4.2.1 Rise in the Prices of Raw Materials
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Value)
5.1 Resin Type
5.1.6 Other Resin Types
5.2.3 Powder Coatings
5.2.4 UV Cured Coatings
5.3 End User
5.3.4 Protective Coatings
5.3.5 General Industrial
5.4.2 United Kingdom
5.4.8 Rest of Europe
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Akzo Nobel NV
6.4.2 Axalta Coating Systems
6.4.3 BASF SE
6.4.4 Beckers Group
6.4.5 TIGER Coatings GmbH and Co. KG
6.4.6 Brillux GmbH and Co. KG
6.4.8 DAW SE
6.4.9 TIKKURILA OYJ
6.4.10 Hempel A/S
6.4.11 The Sherwin-Williams Company
6.4.13 Kansai Paints Co. Ltd
6.4.14 Mankiewicz Gebr. and Co.
6.4.15 Metlac SpA
6.4.16 Teknos Group
6.4.17 PPG Industries Inc.
6.4.18 RPM International Inc.
6.4.19 Śnieżka SA
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Use of Nano Technology in Paints and Coatings
7.2 Increase in the Demand for Bio-based and Eco-friendly Paints and Coatings
Europe Paints & Coatings Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Europe Paints and Coatings Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Europe Paints and Coatings Market?
The Europe Paints and Coatings Market is growing at a CAGR of >3% over the next 5 years.
What is Europe Paints and Coatings Market size in 2017?
The Europe Paints and Coatings Market is valued at 32915 Million USD in 2017.
Who are the key players in Europe Paints and Coatings Market?
Akzo Nobel N.V., BASF SE, PPG Industries, Inc., Hempel A/S, Beckers Group are the major companies operating in Europe Paints and Coatings Market.
Europe Paints and Coatings Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Europe Paints and Coatings sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Europe Paints and Coatings research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Europe Paints and Coatings report PDF.