Digital Audio Workstation Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Digital Audio Workstation Market Analysis
The Digital Audio Workstation Market was valued at USD 2.49 billion in 2021 and is projected to grow to USD 4.95 billion by 2027, with a CAGR of 8.1% over the forecast period (2022 - 2027). Over the past few decades, digital audio workstations have made tremendous progress. In today's entertainment industry, digital audio workstations are used in almost both audio and video processing systems. Digital audio workstation meshwork comprises software and hardware components for recording, editing, mixing, and producing audio files. These are exclusively crafted from silicon carbide or gallium nitride to maintain sound integrity and avoid resonance effects.
- There is a higher adoption of various digital audio workstations due to the technological enhancements in the field of R&D by manufacturers in the market and in the entertainment and media sectors to enhance the customer experience. In addition, various vital players use music production software widely known as digital audio workstations for musical composition, musical applications, digital recording, and electronic music.
- The digital audio workstation (DAWs) market is driven by the rising digitalization of instruments, rising demand for high-definition video and audio, and the development of technology in audio-making. The upsurge in the adoption rate of cloud-based digital audio workstations and the significant increase in the number of music producers will cushion the growth rate of the digital audio workstation (DAWs) market. Furthermore, developing digital audio workstations (DWA) for the android operating system and deteriorating prices of consumer electronics will positively impact the growth rate of the digital audio workstation (DAWs) market.
- Increased use of technology such as Artificial Intelligence and Machine learning could drive the need for DAW. Artificial intelligence in the music industry allows audio professionals to enhance their digital audio files. Using AI technology, music creators remove drums, vocals, and bass from any of their digital files to create high-quality performance music. The primary intent behind using AI in the music industry is to flatten music into instrumental and functional sounds. According to the McKinsey report, it is anticipated that around 70% of companies will opt for AI technology by 2030. Owing to the increasing adoption of AI-driven music, companies have already been investing in the future of machine-created or assisted music.
- Moreover, the market is expected to grow due to the growing number of ongoing live performances and several DJ professionals worldwide. In addition, highly skilled personnel are focusing on upgrading and innovating existing devices to release new products in the market to support market growth.
- Costs involved in buying the software or equipment could hamper the growth of the DAW Market because technological equipment is what most people worry about. To set up technical equipment, the user will need a powerful computer, music recording and processing software, an interface, and a good microphone system set up with a stand or microphone cable. The entry-level recording studio has become far less expensive, ranging from $500 to a professional recording studio that costs around $20,000, depending on how technologically advanced the studio is.
- The market's key players offer their DAW software through subscription and perpetual license offerings. However, certain enterprises provide their solutions free of cost. Owing to this, a few users tend to opt for open-source solutions instead of availing of the subscriptions provided by the companies, which is a restraining factor that could hamper the growth of the DAW Market.
- The disruption due to the COVID-19 pandemic has surged the demand for digital media. The increasing streaming content and consumption of audiobooks, podcasts, and news showcased a significant rise among listeners. This created an opportunity for audio professionals who used DAWs to improve sound quality and add sound effects to digital audio files. Additionally, growing demand for high-definition audio and videos, rising demand for AI-driven music, and adopting cloud-based DAW are expected to drive the market.
Digital Audio Workstation Industry Segmentation
A digital audio workstation refers to an electronic network, which is drafted fundamentally to facilitate recording, editing, and playing back digital audio files. Due to technological advancements, these processes have become smoother than ever, and the devices provide various functionalities that are complex and are controlled by a single computer unit. The digital audio workstations are used to edit, manipulate, and record the audio.
The Digital Audio Workstation Market is segmented by Operating System (Mac, Windows), End-user (Professional/Audio Engineers and Mixers, Electronic Musicians, Music Studios), and Geography
|By Operating System|
|Other Operating Systems|
|By End User|
|Professional/Audio Engineers and Mixers|
|Other End Users|
|Middle East & Africa|
Digital Audio Workstation Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Digital Audio Workstation Market according to our research experts:
MAC Operating System to Witness Significant Growth
- MAC operating system is also expected to witness growth over the projected time frame due to its increasing application in different end-use sectors. The MAC segment is also speculated to register healthy growth and expansion. Increasing the adoption of Mac services in recording and editing digital audio files is expected to propel the demand for the OS over the forecast period.
- Mac provides a better collective solution for numerous users, given its excellent build quality and stability. Mac also offers enhanced solutions to various consumers due to its superb design structure, which is expected to drive the growth of the MAC segment in the market. FL Studio software is one of the best DAW software for MAC. For a beginner starting journey in music-making, considering FL Studio is better.
- Ableton Live is also one of the best music production software for MAC which is excellent for both live performances and studio work. It has dual views, making it possible to work in the studio and simultaneously have live performances. Its session view works perfectly with grid-based hardware controllers, has an excellent design and user interface, and has clean and sleek graphics.
- Garageband has intuitive user interface support for MAC, providing music creation software for novices. One can make music with the built-in percussion, synthesizers, and keyboard. One can also visualize the composition before modifying it down to the note and decibel level through music loops, music courses, and other tools.
- Similarly, Studio One has gained immense popularity and is counted as one of the best DAW for MAC. This piece of software is a complete DAW and is suitable for professionals. It enhances the composing work and comes with different features to ease composting, like automatic MIDI chord shifting or printing out scores.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America is Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- The North American region is the most significant contributor to the digital audio workstation market. The Market is poised to grow at a blistering pace in this region due to the increased use of digitization in music.
- Owing to the early adoption of advanced technology solutions and initiatives by vendors to reach the end-user base, countries such as the United States and Canada are witnessing increased adoption of advanced technologies, including Android and Linux operating systems.
- Recently, Panasonic and Klipsch, a tech-driven audio company, also announced an exclusive collaboration to deliver the revered “Klipsch Sound” and audiophile-quality performances to the in-vehicle experience at the CES trade show in Las Vegas.
- The National Association of Music Merchants is a group of companies that provide music software in North America. It provides developers with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet with an international buying audience in an enclosed, calm setting conducive to learning and experiencing high-quality demonstrations. In addition, the cost of exhibiting is significantly lower than a traditional exhibition with demo areas the size of the local library study table. It is an attractive opportunity for any brand that wants to strengthen its standing or break into the Market.
- Further, OVox is a voice-controlled synth and vocal effects processor that features vocal morphing, harmonizing, arpeggiating, and pitch-shifting, among its numerous effects. In addition, six other standard products, including auto-pan, chorus, comp, delay, distortion, reverb, and an eight-voice synth, allow one even more creative freedom to boost the Digital Audio Workstation market in the region.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Digital Audio Workstation Industry Overview
The market is moving towards a highly competitive trend due to many players competing among themselves and investing considerable amounts in R&D to develop better, reliable workstations. The major companies include Apple Inc., Adobe Inc., and Acoustica Inc., among others. Therefore, the market concentration will be low.
- In August 2022, Tracktion released a significant update for Waveform Free, the award-winning free version of their Waveform DAW software. Based on the essential features of Waveform Pro, the free version of the software offers a reduced feature set with no timeouts or any restrictions on track count, exports, third-party plug-in use, or saving ability. The 2022 version of the software is equipped with an entirely new browser offering tags, favorites, and smart lists, with the same look and feel as Waveform Pro 12 with 15 audio effects and six utility plug-ins, including a mono conversion tool and spectrum analyzer.
- In May 2022, Splice, a sample library and music-making platform, launched an AI-powered music application CoSo, that uses artificial intelligence (AI) technology to create music quickly. It makes use of a collection of eight looping layers of different elements.
- In March 2022, the Social music creation platform BandLab, the developer of the free online DAW in partnership with Google, unveiled Songstarter. It is an artificial intelligence sophisticated instrument that generates melodies, unique beats, and chord progressions based on user suggestions.
Digital Audio Workstation Market Leaders
Avid Technology Inc.
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Native Instruments GmbH
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Digital Audio Workstation Market News
- September 2022 - UK-based software company Audiomovers recently launched Omnibus, the latest development in pro audio tools exclusively for Mac users. Omnibus allows audio routing between applications and can combine multiple audio sources into a virtual input to overcome the problem of complicated software and hardware setups as a workaround. Omnibus is supported on Mac OS X 10.15.7 or higher, with an unlimited number of physical devices and up to two virtual devices. Omnibus has two powerful virtual drivers with 16 channels each that allow users to connect audio from point A to B quickly and then record, mix, compare, or facilitated by Audiomovers.
- August 2022 - Spotify’s digital audio workstation (DAW) platform Soundtrap is introducing new features for musicians, including live collaboration, auto-save, and comments. The first two features are under an opt-in beta, so artists must enable these features manually. The company is rolling out the comments feature to allow people working on a project to leave notes on different parts of the track for remote collaboration.
Digital Audio Workstation Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Rise in Demand for High Definition Video and Audio
4.2.2 Increased Use of Technology in Audio and Video Making
4.3 Market Challenges
4.3.1 Slowdown in Internet Penetration Rates in Underdeveloped or Emerging Economies
4.3.2 Costs Involved in Acquiring the Software and Macroeconomic Situations
4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.6 Assessment of Impact of COVID-19 on the Industry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Operating System
5.1.3 Other Operating Systems
5.2 By End User
5.2.1 Professional/Audio Engineers and Mixers
5.2.2 Electronic Musicians
5.2.3 Music Studios
5.2.4 Music Schools
5.2.5 Other End Users
5.3 By Geography
5.3.1 North America
5.3.4 Latin America
5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Apple Inc.
6.1.2 Adobe Inc.
6.1.3 Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
6.1.4 Avid Technology Inc.
6.1.5 Native Instruments GmbH
6.1.6 MAGIX Software GmbH
6.1.7 PreSonus Audio Electronics Inc.
6.1.8 Harrison Consoles Inc.
6.1.9 Cakewalk Inc. (bandLab Technologies)
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Digital Audio Workstation Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Digital Audio Workstation Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Digital Audio Workstation Market?
The Digital Audio Workstation Market is growing at a CAGR of 8.1% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Digital Audio Workstation Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Digital Audio Workstation Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Digital Audio Workstation Market?
Apple Inc., Adobe Inc., Avid Technology Inc., Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH, Native Instruments GmbH are the major companies operating in Digital Audio Workstation Market.
Digital Audio Workstation Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Digital Audio Workstation market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Digital Audio Workstation analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.