Detergents Market Size
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
|CAGR:||> 4 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Detergents Market Analysis
The detergents market is projected to register a CAGR of over 4% during the forecast period.
COVID-19 negatively impacted the market in 2020. It paused the production of laundry detergents and disrupted the supply chain. However, the consciousness regarding personal hygiene and clean surroundings increased in the current situation, stimulating the demand for laundry and household cleaning products and enhancing the market growth of detergents in 2021.
- Over the short term, increasing usage of detergents in the personal and laundry care segment is the major factor driving the market's growth.
- However, stringent environmental regulations are a key factor anticipated to restrain the growth of the target industry over the forecast period.
- Nevertheless, adopting organic laundry detergent and increasing the application of detergents as cloth softeners will likely create lucrative growth opportunities for the global market soon.
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market across the world, with the largest consumption from countries such as China and India.
Detergents Industry Segmentation
Detergents are sodium salts of long-chain benzene sulphonic acids or alkyl sulfates. The major raw materials required for manufacturing detergents are sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, sodium tripolyphosphate, sodium sulfate, etc. Detergents available in the market are in two forms: liquid and powder. The detergents market is segmented by type, application, and geography. The market is segmented by type: anionic detergents, cationic detergents, non-ionic detergents, and zwitterionic detergents. By application, the market is segmented into laundry cleaning products, household cleaning products, dishwashing products, fuel additives, biological reagents, and other applications. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the detergents market in 15 countries across the major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done based on volume (kiloton).
|Zwitterionic (Amphoteric) Detergents|
|Laundry Cleaning Products|
|Household Cleaning Products|
Detergents Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Detergents Market according to our research experts:
The Laundry Cleaning Products Application is Expected to Witness Higher Potential Growth
- Laundry liquids are powerful laundry cleaning products applied to stubborn stains before washing. These liquids are formulated using a specified surfactant system of naturally derived alkyl, hydroxyalkyl sulfate, sulphonate surfactant, and mid-chain branched amine oxide surfactants.
- In 2021, the laundry care segment accounted for more than 50% of the home and laundry care market globally in terms of revenue, and it is likely to grow during the forecast period, owing to increasing hygiene consciousness among consumers, which, in turn, is expected to boost the market demand.
- With technological advancements, laundry-liquid manufacturers now use a new ingredient known as rapeseed oil (non-GMO) that offers benefits with its low foaming properties.
- Foam is detrimental to the washing process and may result in about 50% loss of the washing strength. Laundry liquid is formulated for the pre-spraying of stubborn stains on garments. It helps in removing even the toughest stains and offers exceptional cleaning results.
- Liquid laundry detergent is primarily used in cleaning laundry and has two main end-user segments, such as residential and commercial.
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in the United States, the average annual expenditure on soaps and detergents in 2020 accounted for USD 75.53, which increased to USD 80.49 per consumer unit in 2021.
- According to the Russian Federal State Statistics Service, Russia's output of detergents has been steadily rising yearly. The volume of detergent production peaked in 2021 when 2,139 thousand metric tonnes of cleaning supplies were produced.
- Owing to all these factors, the detergent market will likely grow globally during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
The Asia-Pacific Region is Expected to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific is currently the fastest-growing market both for household and industrial detergent consumption. In terms of demand and supply, India and China are the market leaders in the Asia-Pacific region.
- The increasing awareness about the liquid laundry detergent market and the growth in industrial advancements in these emerging economies are expected to drive the growth of the market in Asia-Pacific.
- China has a promising global tourism future, attracting tourists from abroad. Major hotel chains have been drawn to develop dominance in the Chinese luxury market as a result. As a result, there is an increasing need for textiles and washing products to keep hotel grounds neat.
- According to the National Bureau of Statistics of China, there has been significant growth in hotel enterprises in China. In 2021 there was a total of 27,766 enterprises an increase of nearly 2,500 enterprises compared to 25,281 in 2020.
- The increasing demand for convenient and easy-to-use/apply detergent products contributed to the evolution of detergents in India. The increase in government initiatives and awareness to lead a healthy life among the rural Indian population are contributing to the increased sales of detergents in the country.
- According to IBEF, in May 2021, Indo Count Industries Ltd. (ICIL) announced an investment of Rs. 200 crore (USD 26.9 million) to expand its production capacity of bedding solutions.
- The detergent sector, with its increasing ability to influence consumers through advertisements, is rapidly growing. For instance, to increase its customer base, Rohit Surfactants spread its distribution network for Ghari detergent to more states in India. Moreover, in the last three years, the company increased its reach to 10 more states, and it sells Ghari detergent through more than 3,500 dealers. Additionally, Ghari has always maintained affordable pricing.
- Due to all such factors, the market for detergents in the region is expected to have steady growth during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Detergents Industry Overview
The detergents market is partially consolidated in nature. The major players include Henkel AG & Co. KGaA, Procter & Gamble, Unilever, Kao Corporation, and E.U.D.GROUP, a.s., among others (not in any particular order).
Detergents Market Leaders
Henkel AG & Co. KGaA
Procter & Gamble
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Detergents Market News
- In October 2022, MyKirei by KAO brand introduced a new Easy-Spray Laundry Detergent for clean clothes and household linens. This new product has a compact, refillable alternative to heavy, space-hogging bottles, which helps boost the company's business.
- In May 2022, Proctor & Gamble (P&G) set up its first manufacturing facility for liquid detergent in India on Hyderabad's outskirts at an investment of INR 200 crore (USD 26.83 million).
Detergents Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Usage of Detergents in the Personal and Laundry Care Segment
4.1.2 Other Drivers
4.2.1 Stringent Environmental Regulations
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Volume)
5.1.1 Anionic Detergents
5.1.2 Cationic Detergents
5.1.3 Non-ionic Detergents
5.1.4 Zwitterionic (Amphoteric) Detergents
5.2.1 Laundry Cleaning Products
5.2.2 Household Cleaning Products
5.2.3 Dishwashing Products
5.2.4 Fuel Additives
5.2.5 Biological Reagent
5.2.6 Other Applications
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
220.127.116.11 United States
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
126.96.36.199 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
188.8.131.52 Saudi Arabia
184.108.40.206 South Africa
220.127.116.11 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share(%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Church & Dwight Co. Inc.
6.4.2 E.U.D.GROUP AS
6.4.3 Guangzhou Liby Group Co. Ltd
6.4.4 Henkel AG & Co. KGaA
6.4.5 Johnson & Johnson Private Limited
6.4.6 Kao Corporation
6.4.7 Lion Corporation
6.4.8 Nice Group
6.4.9 Procter & Gamble
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Adoption of Organic Laundry Detergent
7.2 Increasing Application of Detergents as Cloth Softener
Detergents Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Detergents Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Detergents Market?
The Detergents Market is growing at a CAGR of >4% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Detergents Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Detergents Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Detergents Market?
Henkel AG & Co. KGaA , Kao Corporation, E.U.D.GROUP, a.s., Unilever, Procter & Gamble are the major companies operating in Detergents Market.
Detergents Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Detergents market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Detergents analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.