|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The detergents market is projected to register a CAGR of over 4% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. Several countries were forced to go in lockdown owing to the pandemic scenario, which led people to minimize the usage of personal vehicles, thus creating a negative impact on the fuel demand and, in turn, decreasing the demand for fuel additives and detergents. According to the OICA, global automotive production witnessed a decline of approximately 23% in Q3 of 2020 compared to Q3 of 2019. However, the consciousness regarding personal hygiene and clean surrounding increased in the current situation, which stimulated the demand for laundry and household cleaning products, thus, enhancing the market growth of detergents.
- Over the short term, increasing usage of detergents in personal and laundry care products, such as optical brighteners, stain removers, shampoo, and bleach, is expected to drive the market growth. According to Cosmetics Europe, the European cosmetics and personal care industry was valued at about USD 95.32 billion in 2019, with a growth rate of about 1.5% compared to the previous year.
- On the flip side, stringent environmental regulations on the use of detergents and the negative impact of the COVID-19 outbreak on the market are hindering the growth of the market.
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market across the world, with the largest consumption from countries such as China and India.
Scope of the Report
Detergents are sodium salts of long-chain benzene sulphonic acids or alkyl sulfates. The major raw materials required for manufacturing detergents are sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, sodium tripolyphosphate, sodium sulphate, etc. Detergents available in the market are in two forms, including liquid and powder detergent. The detergents market is segmented by type, application, and geography. By type, the market is segmented into anionic detergents, cationic detergents, non-ionic detergents, and zwitterionic detergents. By application, the market is segmented into laundry cleaning products, household cleaning products, dishwashing products, fuel additives, biological reagents, and other applications. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the detergents market in 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (kiloton).
|Zwitterionic (Amphoteric) Detergents|
Key Market Trends
Laundry Cleaning Products Application to Witness Higher Potential Growth
- Laundry liquids are powerful laundry cleaning products that are applied to stubborn stains before washing. These liquids are formulated using a specified surfactant system of naturally derived alkyl or hydroxyalkyl sulphate or sulphonate surfactant, and mid-chain branched amine oxide surfactants.
- In 2019, the laundry care segment accounted for more than 50% of the home and laundry care market globally, in terms of revenue, and it is likely to increase in the forecast period, owing to increasing hygiene consciousness among consumers, which, in turn, is expected to boost the market demand.
- With the technological advancements, the laundry-liquid manufacturers now use a new ingredient known as rapeseed oil (non-GMO) that offers benefits with its low foaming properties.
- Foam is detrimental to the washing process and may result in about 50% loss of the washing strength. Laundry liquid is formulated for pre-spraying of stubborn stains on garments. It helps in removing even the toughest stains and offers exceptional cleaning results.
- Liquid laundry detergent is primarily used in cleaning laundry and has two main end-user segments, such as residential and commercial. The commercial applications are in the textile industry, hospitality industry, laundry services, and other industries, whereas residential applications include its use in household cleaning. The demand for liquid laundry detergent is growing, owing to the comfort and ease of application and lesser wastage compared to detergent powders.
- North America is currently the leading region in the case of global demand and consumption for laundry liquid detergent. The United States is among the developed markets for household and industrial detergents, and hence, it concentrates on exports. The Middle East is also an emerging market, with increasing industrial growth and a rise in demand.
- Owing to all these factors, the market for detergents is likely to grow globally during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific is currently the fastest growing market both for household and industrial detergent consumption. India and China are the market leaders, in terms of demand and supply, in the Asia-Pacific region. The increasing awareness about the liquid laundry detergent market and the growth in industrial advancements in these emerging economies are expected to drive the growth of the market in Asia-Pacific.
- China is estimated to continue its dominance during the forecast period, primarily due to the increasing household applications. The country witnessed about 6.1% growth in its GDP during 2019, even after the trade disturbance caused due to its trade war with the United States. The economic growth rate of China in 2020 was initially expected to be moderate as compared to the previous year.
- However, due to the onset of COVID-19 in 2020, the economic growth of China is estimated to contract to some extent and is expected to witness recovery in 2021.
- In 2019, retail sales of liquid detergents and liquid tablet detergents in China were valued to be USD 3,789 million and USD 73 million, respectively, which is likely to enhance the projected timespan, thereby stimulating the regional market growth.
- In October 2019, BASF SE positioned to increase the annual production capacity of alkyl polyglucosides (APG), a non-ionic surfactant, from 20 kiloton to 30 kiloton at its Jinshan site in China to reliably fulfill the strong demand for the detergent-based home and personal care regional market, which, in turn, stimulates the market growth.
- The fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) sector is the 4th largest sector in the Indian economy. India’s household and personal care is the leading segment, accounting for 50% of the overall market. The FMCG market was valued at USD 68.38 billion in 2018 and was estimated to reach USD 103.70 billion by 2020, registering a CAGR of 23.15%, which stimulates the demand in the household and personal care segment, in turn, enhancing the demand in the detergents market.
- Rapid industrial expansion and urbanization in the country led to the development of synthetic detergents, including laundry and household cleaning detergents.
- Due to all such factors, the market for detergents in the region is expected to have a steady growth during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The detergent market is expected to be partially consolidated, with the top players accounting for a significant share of the market. Some of the major players in the market include Henkel AG & Co. KGaA, Procter & Gamble, Unilever, Kao Corporation, and E.U.D.GROUP AS, among others.
- In March 2020, Unilever announced its intention to close the washing powder factory in Warrington, United Kingdom, as consumers are switching to other alternatives, including laundry liquid and capsules detergents.
- In July 2019, BASF SE planned to increase its capacity for optical brightener Tinopal CBS, an ingredient used in liquid and powder detergents to increase the useful life of textiles, at its Monthey site in Switzerland.
- In January 2019, Unilever acquired The Laundress, which manufactures detergent, fabric care, and home cleaning products, for further strengthening its global presence and enhancing its portfolio.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Usage of Detergents in the Personal and Laundry Care Segments
4.1.2 Other Drivers
4.2.1 Stringent Environmental Regulations
4.2.2 Impact of COVID-19 on the Market Studied
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Anionic Detergents
5.1.2 Cationic Detergents
5.1.3 Non-ionic Detergents
5.1.4 Zwitterionic (Amphoteric) Detergents
5.2.1 Laundry Cleaning Products
188.8.131.52 Detergent Powder
184.108.40.206 Detergent Cake
220.127.116.11 Fabric Softener
18.104.22.168 Laundry Liquid
22.214.171.124 Stain and Odor Eliminator
5.2.2 Household Cleaning Products
126.96.36.199 Floor Cleaners
188.8.131.52 Glass Cleaners
184.108.40.206 Toilet Bowl Cleaners
220.127.116.11 Wood Cleaners
5.2.3 Dishwashing Products
18.104.22.168 Dishwasher Liquid
22.214.171.124 Dishwasher Powder
126.96.36.199 Dishwasher Gel
188.8.131.52 Dishwasher Tablets
5.2.4 Fuel Additives
5.2.5 Biological Reagent
5.2.6 Other Applications
184.108.40.206 South Korea
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
188.8.131.52 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
184.108.40.206 Saudi Arabia
220.127.116.11 South Africa
18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Church & Dwight Co. Inc.
6.4.2 E.U.D.GROUP AS
6.4.3 Guangzhou Liby Group Co. Ltd
6.4.4 Henkel AG & Co. KGaA
6.4.5 Johnson & Johnson Private Limited
6.4.6 Kao Corporation
6.4.7 Lion Corporation
6.4.8 Nice Group
6.4.9 Procter & Gamble
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Growing Prominence of Eco-friendly Organic Liquid Detergents
7.2 Other Opportunities
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Detergents Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Detergents Market?
The Detergents Market is growing at a CAGR of >4% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Detergents Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Detergents Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Detergents Market?
Henkel AG & Co. KGaA , Kao Corporation, E.U.D.GROUP, a.s., Unilever, Procter & Gamble are the major companies operating in Detergents Market.