Cat Litter Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Cat Litter Market Analysis
The Cat Litter Market size is expected to grow from USD 4,765.72 million in 2022 to USD 6,199.14 million by 2028, at a CAGR of 5.40% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
- The cat litter market is driven by the increasing adoption of pets across the world. The recent rise in pet humanization, wherein pets are treated with increased care and hygiene, is proving to be a major driver for the market. Additionally, the increasing expenditure by cat owners on pet care products is another factor that is likely to result in the growing demand for cat litter.
- Along with this, pet ownership has recently become a trend with the rising urbanization across the world. The rising incomes and increased exposure of the younger generation to western culture have influenced pet ownership the developed countries. Russia holds the third position on cat ownership in the world after the United States and China. For instance, according to FEDIAF (The European Pet Food Industry), the cat owning individuals in Russia is 28%
- Recently, cats have become beloved family members. Pet owners want their pets to be healthy, happy, and clean. The demand for corresponding care products is growing rapidly worldwide. The growing demand for innovative products by cat owners is likely to offer lucrative opportunities to the players operating in the market studied. Overall, the users are looking for a product that performs and meets their top priorities of effective odor control, quick clumping, and easy-to-clean properties, along with a long shelf-life. The cat litter by Catsan is one of the most trusted options available in Indian market.
- Furthermore, the key players in the market are launching tailor-made products. With the increased pet owner preference toward cat litterproducts, companies are investing in this segment. For instance, in June 2021, Nestl Purina invested USD 128 million for the expansion of the size and capacity of its cat litter production plant in King William County, Virginia, to respond to the increased consumer demand.
Cat Litter Industry Segmentation
Cat litter is one of the major necessities for a cat owner other than cat food. A litter box is used as a urine and feces collection box for cats. The Cat Litter Market is Segmented by Product Type (Clumping and Conventional), Raw Material (Clay and Silica), Distribution Channel (Specialized Pet Shops, Internet Sales, Hypermarkets, and Other Sales Channels), and Geography (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America, and Middle-East and Africa). The report offers market size and forecasts in terms of value (USD million) for all the above segments.
|Specialized Pet Shops|
|Other Distribution Channels|
Cat Litter Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Cat Litter Market according to our research experts:
Increasing Pet Humanization
The shift from pet ‘ownership’ to pet ‘parenting’ has been a crucial trend in the market studied, particularly in developed countries. About one-third of the households in developed countries own a pet. According to a survey by the American Pet Products Association, there was a significant rise in cat population in the United States, from 73 million in 2000 to about 220 million in 2021. This concept of pet humanization led to an increase in health consciousness and generated a demand for pet products, such as cat litter. Along with this, the growing human-animal bond augments the consumers’ willingness to spend more money on their pets. This is a clear indicator of people’s inclination toward buying more products (like cat litter), ensuring their pets' health and sanitation.
According to the Brazilian Association of the Industry of Pet Products (Abinpet), there were around 27.1 million cats in Brazil in 2021 which increased from 25.6 million in 2020. This growth in the population of pet cats and the increase in the number of multi-cat households are the factors driving the demand for cat litter. In addition, it is becoming easier to take care of cats with the introduction of efficient products in the market. Therefore, self-cleaning cat litter helps to maintain the cat’s hygiene, despite the time constraints of the cat’s owner. Thus, the increasing number of pets and pet owners worldwide and the increased per capita income facilitated pet humanization. This factor is expected to drive the market for sanitation products, like cat litter, among health-conscious pet owners.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America dominates the market
North America is the largest market for cat litter. This region is a fascinating and lucrative market for cat litter, as demand continues to rise. Cats are the most popular companion animal in this region. The increased importance of pets in American families and better marketing via large-scale outlets and specialized stores are driving this growth. In addition to this, owing to the high demand by pet owners, for innovative products to maintain the hygiene of their cats is also driving the market growth.
Along with this, due to the increasing number of cat owners in the region, the region continues to be the leading market. Countries such as the United States and Canada are the major markets in the region. According to the American Pet Products Association's survey for 2021-2022, 45.3 million households. Approximately USD 1,000 is spent annually for the well-being of pet cats. Moreover, in Canada, many companies are marketing their cat litter product intensively. For instance, "Canada Litter" claims its product has a high absorption rate and good clumping. The company markets its product, saying it makes it easy to scoop from the cat's tray without leaving a mess of broken clumps or hardened sand stuck to the side of the tray.
Furthermore, continuous product developments and expansions in the cat litter market are bolstering the growth of the market. For instance, in October 2022, Clorox Company's opened a new cat litter manufacturing plant in Martinsburg, West Virginia. The plant will produce Fresh Step and Scoop Away cat litter products. Theincreased number of e-commerce stores offering various pet care products, including cat litter. For instance, according to Amazon.com, the online retail of pet care products in Mexico was recorded at USD 0.48 million in 2020, rising by14.3% from the previous year.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Cat Litter Industry Overview
The cat litter market is fragmented with the major players occupying minimal share in the market studied, and others accounting for major share. The top players in the market are Mars Inc., Nestle SA, Church & Dwight Co Inc., Oil-Dri Corporation of America, and The Clorox Company. Manufacturers are focusing on strategies such as mergers and acquisitions to increase their market shares.
Cat Litter Market Leaders
Church & Dwight Co., Inc.
The Clorox Company
Oil-Dri Corporation of America
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Cat Litter Market News
- July 2022: Ozzy & Dart, a pet goods firm, has launched its new line of environmentally friendly cat litter in the UK. The manufacturer asserted that in addition to being ecologically friendly, its new litter formula was also created with its feline customers' paws in mind.
- March 2022: Pettex launched its new Naturecat tofu cat litter and announced that it is developed for ‘fast absorption, super clumping and low tracking’, Pettex also claimed that it is also soft on paws and light to handle.
- January 2022: One of the pet industry's brands with the quickest rate of growth, TABPS's FiloMilo line of cat litter is available in two scents that are scented and unscented. The fruity floral smell was available in the cat litter. the company claimed that both varieties are easily scoopable and are made entirely of bentonite clay.
Cat Litter Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.3 Market Restraints
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.2 Raw Material
5.3 Distribution Channel
5.3.1 Specialized Pet Shops
5.3.2 Internet Sales
5.3.4 Other Distribution Channels
5.4.1 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 Rest of North America
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.4 South America
18.104.22.168 Rest of South America
5.4.5 Middle-East and Africa
22.214.171.124 United Arab Emirates
126.96.36.199 Saudi Arabia
188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Mars Inc.
6.3.2 Nestle SA
6.3.3 Church & Dwight Co. Inc.
6.3.4 The Clorox Company
6.3.5 Dr. Elsey's
6.3.6 Oil-Dri Corporation of America
6.3.7 Pestell Pet Products
6.3.8 ZOLUX SAS
6.3.9 Cat Litter Company
6.3.10 Healthy Pet
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Cat Litter Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Cat Litter Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Cat Litter Market?
The Cat Litter Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.7% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Cat Litter Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Cat Litter Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Cat Litter Market?
Mars Inc., Church & Dwight Co., Inc., The Clorox Company, Nestle Purina, Oil-Dri Corporation of America are the major companies operating in Cat Litter Market.
Cat Litter Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Cat Litter market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Cat Litter analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.