The APAC pharmaceutical packaging market is estimated to grow from USD 12.18 billion in 2016 to USD 25.49 billion by the end of 2021 at a CAGR of 13.10%. China and Japan lead the market in terms of revenue, followed by South Korea and India. This region's high population, coupled with the steady economic growth, is helping the market grow. The GDP growth for 2016-2017 is forecasted to be more than 5%, which is helped by the growth in economies, robust credit growth, and good labor markets. The Chinese pharmaceutical market is growing at more than 15%. This growth in the pharmaceutical market has spurred the growth in the pharmaceutical packaging as well. Packaging is an integral part of the overall drug as maintaining the quality and safety of the drug is imperative for its functioning.
It is necessary for packaging companies to manufacture such packages that meet the objectives of keeping the product safe from the environment and vice-versa. Also, there should be proper labeling of the products so that they cannot be counterfeited and at the same time have a longer shelf-life. Some of the pharmaceutical packaging products being used to meet the above objectives are ampoule, vial, dropper bottle, labels, and patient information booklet.
Asia-Pacific Pharmaceutical Packaging Market-Market Dynamics
The increasing globalization has resulted in the setting up of manufacturing plants all across the world, thereby changing the raw materials used and lengthening the supply chains. These factors are driving innovations in the pharmaceutical packaging industry over fears of contamination from the packaging into the drug. Alternative techniques like RFID tags, self-destructive labels, and holographic labels are being used to counter the malaise of counterfeiting. Increasing cost pressures on pharmaceutical manufacturers are forcing them to pass this cost on to packaging companies, which have become one of the driving forces of pharmaceutical packaging market. The rise in self-medication and over-the-counter products are also contributing to the growth of this industry.
Some of the factors driving the market include:
- Growing pressure on pharma companies to cut costs
- Steps being taken against counterfeit products
- Rigorous control regulations and administration and qualification demand
- Growth in over-the-counter market
There are, however, some factors restraining the market as well. These include:
- Environmental concerns and recycling issues
- Increasing raw material costs
- Inadequate supply chains
- Government restrictions
- Uncertain consumer behavior
- Fierce competition from domestic retailers
These problems can be allayed by the fact that the governments in this region are opening the markets to companies from abroad. Policies are being changed by the governments to attract more investment. Also, they are implementing new projects to help the infrastructure to support the supply chain.
The report provides a comprehensive analysis of the market segmented on the basis of packaging material used and the end-user industry. Detailed estimates for the next five years are included along with the analysis of the major players and their strategies.
Some of the major vendors are:
- Amcor Ltd.
- Aptar Group Inc.
- CCL Industries Inc.
- Intrapac Group
- Meadwestvaco Corporation
- Nypro Inc.
- Rexam PLC
- Schott AG
What the Report Offers
- Complete market insights, driving forces of the market, challenges the market faces
- Market trends of the type of pharmaceutical packaging technology and its applications
- Complete market breakdown by different countries to give a detailed picture of the market in that particular region
- Information on major vendors of pharmaceutical packaging products, their existing share in the market, strategies they adopt along with the major products, financials, recent developments, and profile of these vendors
Who should be Interested in this Report
- Vendors who are into manufacturing of these products as they can get an overview of what competitors are doing and also which markets they can look forward to expanding their operations
- Processed food suppliers in need of better understanding of different technologies and products
- Investors who are willing to invest in this market
- Consultants who can have readymade analysis to guide their clients
- Anyone who wants to know about this industry
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
2. Research Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Growth in Pharmaceutical Industries in Emerging Economies
4.2.2 Growing Demand for Drug Delivery Devices & Blister Packaging Market
4.2.3 Contribution of Nano-Technology in the Growth of Asia-Pacific Pharmaceutical Packaging
4.2.4 Growth in Over-the-Counter Market
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Increasing Packaging Costs
4.3.2 Stricter Health Regulatory Compliance Standards, Environmental Concerns
4.4 Opportunities in the Pharmaceutical Plastic Packaging Market
4.4.1 Adoption of new technologies & Packaging Lines
18.104.22.168 Radio-Frequency Identification
22.214.171.124 Braille Compliance
126.96.36.199 Child resistant Packaging
188.8.131.52 Others (Smart Technologies)
4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Model
4.6.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.6.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.6.4 Threat of Substitute products or Services
4.6.5 Competitive Rivalry among the Existing Competitors
4.7 Industry Policies
4.7.1 WHO Guidelines
4.7.2 Federal Packaging Regulations in the US
4.7.3 PS 9000:2001
5. Technology Overview
5.1 Technology Snapshot
5.2 Industry Applications
5.3 New Innovations in Asia-Pacific Pharmaceutical Packaging
6. Asia-Pacific Pharmaceutical packaging market Segmentation by Material
6.2 Paper & Paper Board
6.4 Aluminum Foil
7. Asia-Pacific Pharmaceutical packaging market Segmentation by Types
7.2 Blister Packs
7.3 Plastic Bottles
7.6 IV Bags
7.13 Medical specialty Bags
8. Asia-Pacific Pharmaceutical packaging Market Segmentation by Drug Delivery Mode
8.1 Oral Drug packaging
8.2 Pulmonary Drug Packaging
8.3 Transdermal Drug packaging market
8.4 Injectable Drug packaging
8.5 Nasal Drug Packaging
8.6 Others (Topical Drug packaging, IV Drugs packaging, Ocular Drug Packaging)
9. Asia-Pacific Pharmaceutical packaging Market Segmentation by Region
9.4 South Korea
10. Competitive Intelligence and Investment Analysis
10.1 Vendor Market Share Analysis
10.2 Recent Mergers & Acquisitions
11. Company Profiles
11.1 Amcor Ltd.
11.2 CCL Industries Inc.
11.3 Intrapac Group
11.4 Rexam PLC
11.5 Schott AG
11.6 Meadwestvaco Corporation
11.7 Nypro Inc.
11.8 Aptar group Inc.
11.9 Wihuri Group
11.10 Gerresheimer AG
11.11 Klockner Pentaplast Group
11.12 West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc.
11.13 Catalent Pharma Solutions, Inc.
12. Future of Asia-Pacific Pharmaceutical Packaging Market