North America is a huge market for pharmaceutical companies. In 2012, North America accounted for more than 40% of the world pharmaceutical sales. Many of the giants of the pharmaceutical industry are based out of the US like Pfizer, Johnson and Johnson and Merck and Co.
This large pharmaceutical market needs a huge pharmaceutical packaging market to help it sustain the growth. This growth in the pharmaceutical market has spurred the growth in the pharmaceutical packaging also. Packaging is an integral part of the overall drug as maintaining the quality and safety of the drug is imperative for its functioning. The North America pharmaceutical packaging market is estimated to reach more than USD 28.37 billion by 2021 at a CAGR of 5.56%.
Increasing incidence of diseases is causing increased spending on healthcare by governments. This immense growth is opening up new avenues for the packaging industry; however, pharmaceutical manufacturers must follow stringent requirements to protect consumer safety and environmental regulations which are also applicable to packaging providers. Increasing cost pressures on pharmaceutical manufacturers is forcing them to pass on this cost on to packaging companies which have become one of the driving forces of pharmaceutical packaging market. The rise in self-medication and over-the-counter products is also contributing to the growth of this industry.
The world revenue for pharmaceutical anti-counterfeiting technologies will cross a billion dollars in a few years. The threat of counterfeiting is much more intense in the North American region where innovative drugs are produced with significant investment. Companies cannot afford to lose revenue from lost and faked products. The significant investment is a boost to the packaging industry as the major anti-counterfeiting measures like tamper evident packaging systems such as film wrappers, shrink seals and bands, breakable caps, sealed tubes are the basic first level defenses against counterfeiting.
The report provides a comprehensive analysis of the market segmented on the basis of packaging material used and the end user industry. The various products used in pharmaceutical packaging are explained along with their market shares and forecasts. Detailed estimates for the next five years are included along with the analysis of the major players and their strategies. Some of the major vendors are Amcor, CCL Industries, Intrapac, Rexam Plc and Schott AG.
- Growing pressure on pharma companies to cut costs
- Steps being taken against counterfeit products
- Rigorous control regulations and administration and qualification demand
- Growth in over-the-counter market
- Environmental concerns and recycling issues
- Increasing raw material costs
Reasons to buy this report
- The report gives complete market insights, the driving forces of the market, the challenges market faces, about different pharmaceutical packaging technologies and their applications.
- It gives market trends of types of pharmaceutical packaging technology and its applications.
- A complete market breakdown has been done by different countries to give a detailed picture of the market in that particular region.
- The report also gives information on major vendors of pharmaceutical packaging products, their existing share in the market, strategies they adopt along with the major products, financials, recent developments and profile of these vendors.
Who should be interested in this report?
- Vendors who are into manufacturing of these products as they can get an overview of what competitors are doing and also which markets they can look forward to expanding their operations.
- Processed food suppliers in need of better understanding of different technologies and products.
- Investors who are willing to invest in this market.
- Consultants who can have readymade analysis to guide their clients.
- Anyone who wants to know about this industry.
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
2. Research Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Growth in Pharmaceutical industries in Emerging economies
4.2.2 Growing demand for drug delivery devices & Blister packaging market
4.2.3 Contribution of Nano-technology in the growth of North America Pharmaceutical packaging
4.2.4 Growth in over-the-counter market
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Increaing Packaging costs
4.3.2 Stricter health regulatory compliance standards, Environmental concerns
4.4 Opportunities in the Pharmaceutical plastic packaging market
4.4.1 Adoption of new technologies & Packaging lines
220.127.116.11 Radio-Frequency Identification
18.104.22.168 Braille Compliance
22.214.171.124 Child resistant packaging
126.96.36.199 Others(Smart Technologies)
4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Model
4.6.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.6.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.6.4 Threat of Substitute products or Services
4.6.5 Competitive Rovalry among the existing Competitors
4.7 Industry Policies
4.7.1 WHO Guidelines
4.7.2 Federal Packaging Regulations in US
4.7.3 PS 9000:2001
5. Technology Overview
5.1 Technology Snapshot
5.2 Industry Applications
5.3 New Innovations in North America Pharmaceutical packaging
6. North America Pharmaceutical packaging market Segmentation By Material
6.2 Paper & Paper Board
6.4 Aluminium Foil
7. North America Pharmaceutical packaging market Segmentation by Types
7.2 Blister Packs
7.3 Plastic Bottles
7.6 IV Bags
7.13 Medical specialty Bags
8. North America Pharmaceutical packaging Market Segmentation by Drug Delivery Mode
8.1 Oral Drug packaging
8.2 Pulmonary Drug Packaging
8.3 Transdermal Drug packaging market
8.4 Injectable Drug packaging
8.5 Nasal Drug Packaging
8.6 Others ( Topical Drug packaging, IV Drugs packaging, Ocular Drug Packaging)
9. North America Pharmaceutical packaging Market Segmentation by Region
9.1 United States
10. Competitive Intelligence and Investment Analysis
10.1 Vendor Market Share Analysis
10.2 Recent Mergers & Acquisitions
11. Company Profiles
11.1 Amcor Ltd.
11.2 CCL Industries Inc.
11.3 Intrapac Group
11.4 Rexam PLC
11.5 Schott AG
11.6 Meadwestvaco Corporation
11.7 Nypro Inc.
11.8 Aptar group Inc.
11.9 Wihuri Group
11.10 Gerresheimer AG
11.11 Klockner Pentaplast Group
11.12 West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc.
11.13 Catalent Pharma Solutions, Inc.
12. Future of North America Pharmaceutical packaging market