Brazil Pet Food Market Size
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Brazil Pet Food Market Analysis
The Brazil pet food market is projected to register a CAGR of 7.6% during the forecast period.
- The Brazilian pet industry is one of the most vibrant and resilient globally. In recent years, consumers have been treating pets as members of their families, and this pet humanization trend has taken off in Brazil. It has grown to the point where many consumers will spend extra money or effort to get natural, high-quality foods for their pets. They want their pets to live long, healthy lives, and one of the easiest ways to promote this is through their food intake.
- Dogs are the favorite pets in Brazilian households. According to the Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics, there were nearly 55.9 million dogs as pets in Brazil in 2021. With the rising number of Brazilian homes having a dog, pet food demand is expected to expand further in the coming years. The cat population in Brazil has also grown steadily over the years.
- Mars Inc., Nestle Purina, Total Alimentos SA (ADM Animal Nutrition), Premier Pet, and Colgate-Palmolive are some of Brazil's leading pet food manufacturers. These companies are engaged in various strategies, such as expansion and launching new innovative products, to strengthen their position in the market.
- In 2021, Nestle Purina invested about USD 1 billion to construct a new industrial park in the state of Santa Catarina, focusing on the production of feed for dogs and cats. The new facility is being established to meet the growing local pet food demand and consolidate Brazil as an export platform.
Brazil Pet Food Industry Segmentation
Pet food is commercially prepared and intended for consumption by pets. These are marketed specifically to the type of pet animal and sold in pet stores, supermarkets, etc.
The Brazil pet food market is segmented by product (dry pet food, wet pet food, treats and snacks, and other products), animal type (dog, cat, bird, and other animal types), ingredient type (plant-derived, animal-derived, and other ingredient types), and sales channel (specialized pet shops, internal sales, hypermarkets, and other sale channels).
The report offers market size and forecasts for the Brazil pet food market in terms of value (USD million) for all the above segments.
|Dry Pet Food|
|Wet Pet Food|
|Treats and Snacks|
|Other Animal Types|
|Other Ingredient Types|
|Specialized Pet Shops|
|Other Sales Channels|
Brazil Pet Food Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Brazil Pet Food Market according to our research experts:
Increasing Pet Humanization Among the Pet Owners
- Pet humanization results from rising income, changing demographic patterns, and consumer preferences. There has been a shift toward pet parenting from ownership, which has influenced the purchasing decisions of pet products. The rise in income led to more imports of pet foods for retail sales in Brazil. As per World Bank data, the upper-middle-class income in 2021 was USD 27.1 trillion.
- Furthermore, consumers demand clean labels due to increasing health consciousness for their pets. Currently, pet owners are resolute about knowing the food constituent information of the various pet food products. As a result, some pet food companies claim transparency in the sourcing and processing of ingredients. In Brazil, many consumers are turning to dogs and cats for companionship.
- The changes in Brazilian families' profiles significantly impact the relationship between humans and pets. There has been an increase in couples who choose not to have children or only one child and seek the company of a pet. Longevity and solitary lifestyle in big cities make pets important in people's lives.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Increasing Dog Population
- Dogs are the favorite pets in Brazilian households. Brazilian own dogs for different reasons, with some doing so out of pure love for the loyal creatures, while others do so for more practical purposes, like using the dogs as a fashion symbol or for companionship. Brazilian Mastiff, Brazilian Terrier, Pampas Deerhound, Campeiro Bulldogs, Mountain Bulldog, and Brazilian Dogo are some of the dog breeds preferred by the country's pet owners in recent years. The different dog food and treats explicitly produced for these breeds are expected to increase the revenue generated through pet food.
- By animal type, dogs continue to dominate the Brazilian pet food market. For instance, according to Associação Brasileira da Indústria de Produtos para Animais de Estimação (ABINPET), In 2021, there were nearly 149.6 million total pets in Brazil, of which over 58.1 million were dogs. With the rising number of Brazilian homes having a dog, pet food demand is expected to expand further in the coming years.
- The popularity of dogs continued to increase during the last century in the region, according to various studies. The number of dog owners increased more than cat owners, which reflects the relative ease of having a dog as a pet in the modern lifestyle. Mars, Hill's Pet Nutrition, Nestle Brazil Ltda, ADM, and Affinity Petcare S.A. are some of Brazil's leading pet food manufacturers. These companies are engaged in various strategies, such as expansion and the launch of new innovative products, to strengthen their position in the market, further fueling the market growth during the studied period.
Brazil Pet Food Industry Overview
The Brazilian pet food market is highly consolidated, with the top five players accounting for a significant market share. The Brazilian pet food market consists of a few global players like ADM, Nestle, Mars Incorporated, Hill’s Pet Nutrition, etc. Still, domestic companies also play a major role in the market. Although the top three places in the market are occupied by multinational companies like ADM, Mars, and Nestle, domestic companies also occupy a major share of the market. Going by the various strategies being followed in the market, the Brazilian pet food market is expected to be more consolidated.
Brazil Pet Food Market Leaders
Hill's Pet Nutrition
Nestle Brazil Ltda
Affinity Petcare S.A
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Brazil Pet Food Market News
- March 2022: Nestle’s Purina commenced the construction of its latest pet food factory located in the southern state of Santa Catarina, Brazil. The facility, equipped with Industry 4.0, would feature automated lines and robots to bolster productivity.
- January 2022: Royal Canin, a brand of Mars, launched a new product for the specific sensitivities of cats and dogs. Among the innovations, the brand brings new foods with proven results to control the insatiable appetite of cats and help dogs feel more relaxed in times of stress.
- June 2021: BRF SA acquired Mogiana Alimentos to expand its presence in the thriving pet sector. With the acquisition, the company aimed at accounting for nearly 10% share of the Brazilian market for pet food.
Brazil Pet Food Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.3 Market Restraints
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Dry Pet Food
5.1.2 Wet Pet Food
5.1.3 Treats and Snacks
5.1.4 Other Products
5.2 Animal Type
5.2.4 Other Animal Types
5.3 Ingredient Type
5.3.3 Other Ingredient Types
5.4 Sales Channel
5.4.1 Specialized Pet Shops
5.4.2 Internet Sales
5.4.4 Other Sales Channels
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 ADM ( Acquired Neovia in Brazil)
6.3.2 Affinity Petcare SA ( Acquired Mogiana Alimentos in Brazil)
6.3.3 Mars Brasil Alimentos Ltda
6.3.4 Nestle Brasil Ltda
6.3.5 Hill's Pet Nutrition
6.3.6 Cargill Alimentos Ltda (Acquired JM Smucker Operations in Brazil)
6.3.7 PremieRpet Alimentos De Alta Qualidade
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Brazil Pet Food Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Brazil Pet Food Market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Brazil Pet Food Market?
The Brazil Pet Food Market is growing at a CAGR of 7.6% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Brazil Pet Food Market?
Mars, Hill's Pet Nutrition, Nestle Brazil Ltda, ADM, Affinity Petcare S.A are the major companies operating in Brazil Pet Food Market.
Brazil Pet Food Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Brazil Pet Food market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Brazil Pet Food analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.