APAC Hair Care Industry Overview
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
APAC Hair Care Market Analysis
The Asia-Pacific hair care market was valued at USD 31,256.1 million in 2021 and is projected to register a CAGR of 5.70% during the forecasted period.
- The usage of premium hair care products is most prevalent in the megacities of Asia-Pacific countries. This is likely to increase further with the growing middle class and consumption of consumer products. The increasing internet penetration and push of e-commerce companies to attract consumers are driving sales from e-commerce in the Asia-Pacific region. In contrast, sales from physical retail channels continue to dominate the market.
- Changing consumer dynamics and increasing pollution in the region's major cities, coupled with increasing product awareness, have been identified as the primary drivers of the market. For instance, according to IQAir, Bhiwadi was the most polluted regional city in India in 2021, with an average PM2.5 concentration of 106.2 micrograms per cubic meter of air (μg/m³). PM2.5 concentrations at this level are regarded as unhealthy and pose significant health risks to the general public.
- Furthermore, increasing millennial consumers, migration toward cities, and rising women's employment further augment the market demand. The increasing population of cities is directly driving sales of haircare products through specialty stores, e-commerce websites, and salons in particular. The Asia-Pacific hair care market witnessed an increasing demand for natural and organic products due to the rise in consumer awareness about the harmful effects of certain compounds, such as paraben and aluminum, in haircare products.
- Countries with zestful consumer cultures, such as India, China, and Japan, have opened the way for the organic/herbal hair care business to thrive. Over the last half-decade, these countries' large populations and favorable network externalities have helped them achieve tremendous development in the organic hair care industry. Such factors are expected to augment the growth of haircare products in the region during the forecast period.
APAC Hair Care Industry Segments
Hair care refers to the cleanliness and cosmetology of hair that develops from the human scalp and the products employed to take care of it.
The market study of the Asia-Pacific hair care market is segmented by type into colorant, hair spray, conditioner, styling gel, hair oil, shampoo, and other products. Based on the distribution channel, the market is segmented into supermarkets/hypermarkets, specialty stores, e-commerce, pharmacy, and other distribution channels. The report also provides an analysis of the emerging and established geographical countries in the region, including China, Japan, India, Australia, and Rest of Asia-Pacific.
For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of value (in USD million).
|By Product Type|
|By Distribution Channel|
|Other Distribution Channels|
|Rest of Asia-Pacific|
APAC Hair Care Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the APAC Hair Care Market according to our research experts:
India Accounts As The Fastest-growing Market In The Region
- Changing consumer dynamics, coupled with increasing product awareness, has been identified as the primary driver of the market. These changes are due to the high millennial population, migration toward cities, rising women's employment, and increasing spending capacity. This migration to cities has directly impacted the market of traditional hair care products. Additionally, growing awareness among consumers about scalp issues reflects a massive need for scalp care products. The demand for basic essential commodities and the hair oil market is expected to rise throughout the forecast period.
- Moreover, in India, consumers increasingly prefer items made with natural components. As a result of linking sulfates and parabens to frizzy hair, flaky scalps, and split ends, customers are avoiding products containing these compounds in favor of natural or herbal alternatives. This, in turn, has created a pathway and a blueprint for organic manufacturers to enter the hair care business.
- For instance, in May 2022, Medimix, the flagship brand of the AVA Group, announced the launch of its new haircare line, Total Care Shampoo. Medimix total care shampoo is made of nine natural herbs and other essential ingredients, which include neem, rosemary oil, licorice, tea tree oil, Datura, wild ginger, wheat protein, bakuchi, and apple cider vinegar. Hence, all these factors are expected to drive people towards organic and herbal haircare products over synthetic products creating ample opportunities for organic haircare stakeholders.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Increasing Demand for Organic/Herbal Haircare Products
- The Asia-Pacific hair care market witnessed an increasing demand for natural and organic products due to the rise in consumer awareness about the harmful effects of certain compounds, such as paraben and aluminum, in haircare products. Additionally, consumers with sensitivity tend to look for natural and fragrance-free products. This demand led most companies to launch natural-inspired products, such as plant-based and premium botanical ingredients.
- For instance, in August 2022, OrgaGlo, a plant-based skin and haircare brand, entered the Indian personal care and cosmetic industry with 18 products under its umbrella. The company claimed that its products had been formulated using plant-derived ingredients free from harmful chemicals.
- Furthermore, countries with zestful consumer cultures, such as India, China, and Japan, have opened the way for the organic/herbal hair care business to thrive. Over the last half-decade, these countries' large populations and favorable network externalities have helped them achieve tremendous development in the organic hair care industry.
- Also, increasing penetration of organic products through online sales channels and more players offering their organic products through e-commerce websites are expected to attract consumers, thus driving the sales of organic hair care products. Such factors compelled manufacturers to improve their organic and natural product offerings to match consumer requirements.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
APAC Hair Care Market Competitor Analysis
The market is highly fragmented due to numerous small and large vendors. Companies have also begun to invest considerably in advertising to increase product awareness among users. The key players actively focus on gaining larger market shares through constant innovation in products and investments in R&D to develop niche products. Companies are also using this method to build their brands and improve customer satisfaction, providing products more inclined to the customers' needs. The industry is considered to have significant levels of competitive rivalry in light of the above-mentioned criteria. To speed up the global beauty industry's progress in tackling plastic waste, market players are considering environmental and human health issues and embracing sustainable initiatives in addition to new product developments and mergers and acquisitions. Some of the major players in the market include Dabur India Ltd, Procter & Gamble, Unilever PLC, L'Oréal S.A., Kao Corporation, and others.
APAC Hair Care Market Top Players
Procter & Gamble
Dabur India Ltd
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
APAC Hair Care Market Recent Developments
- In September 2022, Herbal Essences brand launched the new Argan Oil Of Morocco Shampoo. The company claims that it is the perfect combination of argan oil, aloe vera, sea kelp, and other antioxidant-rich ingredients, making this Herbal Essences blue bottle shampoo their best-rated product.
- In April 2022, Kao launched a waterless dry shampoo sheet that was originally created for use in space. In response to the rising need for portable dry shampoos, Merit launched waterless dry shampoo, which included a shampoo sheet design originally created for use in space.
- In February 2022, India’s leading Ayurvedic and Natural Health Care Company Dabur India Ltd announced the launch of "Virgin Coconut Oil", further strengthening its presence in the coconut oil market. Virgin coconut oil, according to Dabur, is 100% natural. It claimed that it can be used for cooking and customarily also used for the health of the skin and hair and as a massage oil.
APAC Hair Care Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Product Type
5.1.2 Hair Spray
5.1.4 Styling Gel
5.1.5 Hair Oil
5.1.7 Other Products
5.2 By Distribution Channel
5.2.2 Speciality Stores
5.2.5 Other Distribution Channels
5.3.5 Rest of Asia-Pacific
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Henkel AG & Co. KGaA
6.3.2 L'Oreal SA
6.3.3 Hoyu Co., Ltd.
6.3.5 Mandom Corporation
6.3.6 Marico Limited
6.3.7 Procter & Gamble
6.3.8 Dabur India Ltd
6.3.9 Bajaj Consumer Care Ltd
6.3.10 Kao Corporation
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
APAC Hair Care Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Asia Pacific Hair Care Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Asia Pacific Hair Care Market?
The Asia Pacific Hair Care Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.7% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Asia Pacific Hair Care Market?
Unilever, L'Oréal S.A., Procter & Gamble, Kao Corporation, Dabur India Ltd are the major companies operating in Asia Pacific Hair Care Market.
Asia Pacific Hair Care Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Asia Pacific Hair Care sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Asia Pacific Hair Care research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Asia Pacific Hair Care report PDF.