Packaging Automation Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Market Size (2024)
|USD 74.52 Billion
|Market Size (2029)
|USD 104.81 Billion
|CAGR (2024 - 2029)
|Fastest Growing Market
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Packaging Automation Market Analysis
The Packaging Automation Market size is estimated at USD 74.52 billion in 2024, and is expected to reach USD 104.81 billion by 2029, growing at a CAGR of 7.06% during the forecast period (2024-2029).
Automation offers improved efficiency and productivity in secondary packaging operations. Automated systems can handle repetitive tasks, such as carton erecting, case packing, palletizing, and labeling, faster and more accurately than manual processes. It resulted in higher throughput and reduced labor requirements.
- Companies focus on catering to customers' needs to offer them innovative and comprehensive packaging solutions. In line with the same, in May 2023, ULMA Packaging, a packaging machine manufacturer for the medical/pharmaceutical and food sectors, showcased its compact packaging equipment. It includes primary and secondary packaging, fully automated lines that handle the entire packaging process, product loading, and final palletizing for customers looking to introduce automatic packaging or optimize the footprint of their factories.
- Automation solutions in the packaging industry are steadily increasing, providing several benefits to businesses. Additionally, to promote packaging automation among end users industries, packaging machinery manufacturers are launching schemes with their machinery.
- Automation and robotics can benefit wineries and other businesses in the consumer-packaged goods industry. While many CPG companies already embraced automation in their packaging and processing lines, wineries need to adopt these technologies faster. However, the potential advantages of automation in the winery industry include increased production efficiency, improved product quality and consistency, enhanced safety and hygiene, and data-driven insights, among others.
- The advantages of packaging automation systems are significant and drive the market. Still, the requirement of higher initial capital restricts smaller organizations from adopting it. Additionally, investors are looking at alternate manufacturing destinations with the rising cost of production in China and the strengthening of the Yuan against the Dollar. However, manufacturers need to focus on quality production and environment-friendly manufacturing regulations. With the growing technology, a fully automated facility takes years to adjust and evolve. Meanwhile, unfavorable or delayed initiatives on dynamic automation adaption include limited growth on a regional basis.
- The COVID-19 pandemic forced the players in the packaging industry to rethink their business models. The increased e-commerce does not put a strain on distribution companies but also manufacturers. Manufacturers also put their money and efforts into packaging that goes with their products. Additionally, COVID accelerated the adoption of robotic packaging automation processes like wraparound packaging.
Packaging Automation Market Trends
Food End-User Segment is Expected to Hold Significant Market Share
- Packaging automation in the food industry is an essential aspect of streamlining operations, ensuring product quality, and meeting the increasing demands of consumers. Automation in food packaging processes can significantly increase efficiency and productivity. Automated systems can handle filling, sealing, labeling, and palletizing tasks, allowing faster and more consistent packaging operations. It leads to higher production rates and reduced labor requirements.
- In many sectors, automation changed the game, and the processing and packaging of food and beverages are no exception. Robotics solutions are available for all packaging lines, from straightforward pick and drop operations to intricate processes like can, pouch, or packet manufacturing. Automation completely changed how packaging is done in this business, resulting in more productivity, lower prices, and better quality. Even cheap candies go through many food packaging stages using cutting-edge machinery.
- Additionally, Machinery manufacturers are focusing on controls-based collaboration. In May 2023, Rotzinger, a Swiss OEM packaging machinery manufacturer, a maker of equipment for food, beverage, and cosmetic industries, and CoreTigo, a supplier of industrial wireless automation, presented an intriguing controls-based partnership at Interpack last month. With the integration of CoreTigo's IO-Link wireless products and technology into Rotzinger's cutting-edge packaging equipment, new and sophisticated capabilities are created that are driving maximum flexibility, throughput, and sustainability.
- Further, increasing R& D spending by food companies to enhance their product and implement automation to improve product hygiene and profit through economies of scale, extended shelf life, and cost reduction are expected to boost packaging automation. According to Campbell Soup's annual report 2022, the company increased its R& D spending to USD 87 million in 2022 from USD 84 million in 2021. All such factors are expected to support market growth.
North America is Expected to Hold Significant Market Share
- The United States is one of the developed packaging markets in North America. Large packaging companies, such as Amcor Ltd, Mondi PLC, etc., drive investments in innovation and R&D activities. The region is witnessing increased spending on advanced packaging technologies to boost productivity, reduce labor costs, and enable greater packaging customization. A strong interest in providing packaging that is viewed as sustainable is also encouraging companies to invest in new machines.
- Furthermore, the United States boasts a solid packaging machinery export base, contributing to its growth. Companies like Bosch Packaging Services have expanded their businesses by investing in various packaging sectors, such as confectionery, bakery, fresh food, frozen food, and pharmaceutical.
- Further, systems like (ICT) technology are the intelligent alternative to existing mechanics' throughput and physical limitations. The MagneMove Lite system from Rockwell Automation is helping higher-SKU operations efficiency by moving payloads faster and more flexibly than traditional conveyors do.
- Canada's packaging industry is looking to make more efficient use of production lines with small automated components, such as remote vision sensors, and advancements in automation, which are being realized with Industry 4.0 applications. For example, AI/ ML technology can be used for packaging facilities that do not have the space to invest in the more prominent styles of automation machinery. For instance, the remote sensor can be placed far from the target to be inspected; with increased resolution, the target's space is featured correctly and can be examined remotely without human intervention.
Packaging Automation Industry Overview
The Packaging Automation market is highly fragmented with the presence of major players like Multivac Group, Coesia SpA, ULMA Packaging, Syntegon Technology, and Swisslog Healthcare. Players in the market are adopting strategies such as partnerships and acquisitions to enhance their product offerings and gain sustainable competitive advantage.
- December 2023 - MULTIVAC Group Opens New Site in India MULTIVAC's new production facility, showroom, and training and application center would address the growing demand for food packaging machines in the South Asian region.
- November 2023 - ULMA Packaging has established itself as one of the leaders in the dynamic and diverse Scottish packaging industry, offering sustainable and competitive packaging machinery solutions that meet its customers' needs. The ULMA's unique proposition includes the widest range of machines and applications available on the market, comprising Flow Pack (HFFS), Thermoforming (TF), Traysealing (TS), Vertical (VFFS), Stretch Film packaging technologies, and ULMA Packaging Automation (UPA).
Packaging Automation Market Leaders
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Packaging Automation Market News
- September 2023 - A new collaboration between HYBRID Software and A B Graphic International raises the bar for label and packaging finishing automation. HYBRID Software, a developer of innovative productivity tools for labels & package printing, and ABG, the market leader in finishing equipment for label converting, are pleased to collaborate to streamline operations and enhance efficiency on the shop floor.
- September 2023 - CME Automation Systems, specialists in automated packing line solutions, announced ambitious growth plans following significant backing from private equity. CME's investment enables it to strengthen its offering to customers internationally in the pharmaceuticals, FMCG, cannabis, and tobacco sectors.
Packaging Automation Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumption and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Industry
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Increasing Number of Automation for Secondary Packaging
5.1.2 Increasing Adoption of Automation Solutions Across Various Industries
5.2 Market Challenges/Restraints
5.2.1 High Capital Cost and Cybersecurity Concerns
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Product Type
6.1.3 Case Packaging
6.1.8 Other Product Types
6.2 By End-user
6.2.4 Personal Care and Toiletries
6.2.5 Industrial and Chemicals
6.2.6 Other End-users
6.3.1 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
6.3.3 Asia Pacific
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia Pacific
6.3.4 Latin America
18.104.22.168 Rest of Latin America
6.3.5 Middle East and Africa
22.214.171.124 Saudi Arabia
126.96.36.199 South Africa
188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle East and Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Multivac Group
7.1.2 Coesia Spa
7.1.3 ULMA Packaging
7.1.4 Syntegon Technology
7.1.5 Swisslog Healthcare
7.1.6 Rockwell Automation Inc.
7.1.7 Sealed Air Corporation
7.1.8 Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
7.1.9 Automated Packaging System LLC (Sealed Air Corporation)
- *List Not Exhaustive
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Packaging Automation Market Research FAQs
How big is the Packaging Automation Market?
The Packaging Automation Market size is expected to reach USD 74.52 billion in 2024 and grow at a CAGR of 7.06% to reach USD 104.81 billion by 2029.
What is the current Packaging Automation Market size?
In 2024, the Packaging Automation Market size is expected to reach USD 74.52 billion.
Who are the key players in Packaging Automation Market?
Multivac Group, Coesia SpA, ULMA Packaging, Syntegon Technology and Swisslog Healthcare are the major companies operating in the Packaging Automation Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Packaging Automation Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2024-2029).
Which region has the biggest share in Packaging Automation Market?
In 2024, the North America accounts for the largest market share in Packaging Automation Market.
What years does this Packaging Automation Market cover, and what was the market size in 2023?
In 2023, the Packaging Automation Market size was estimated at USD 69.26 billion. The report covers the Packaging Automation Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Packaging Automation Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Packaging Automation Systems Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Packaging Automation Systems market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Packaging Automation Systems analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.