|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The global wind turbine maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) market is expected to reach value USD 232.65 billion in 2027, from USD 81.80 billion in 2020, registering growth at a CAGR of 15.86% during the forecast period 2022-2027. There was no significant impact of COVID-19 outbreak on the market owing to the continuous operations of existing wind turbines and the maintenance activities, for instance, In 2020, Vestas suspended its ongoing technology projects and focused on prioritizing spare part deliveries in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, so the maintenance and repair of wind turbines are not affected. The market studied is expected to witness significant growth due to rising energy demand coupled with the increasing share of wind power in the global power generation mix, efforts to reduce the reliance on fossil fuel-based power generation. The increase in the global wind energy capacity resulted in considerable demand for maintenance, repair, and overhaul (MRO) services of various components, particularly wind turbine (excluding tower), as it involves most of the wind power equipment in it. However, the adoption of other clean energy source like solar and other alternatives are likely to hinder the growth of the market.
- Increasing, offshore deployment of wind turbine is likely to drive the global wind turbine maintenance, repair, and overhaul (MRO) market, thus making it fastest growing segment during the forecast period.
- Moreover, the adoption of wind power for power generation is increasing significantly. Various countries are investing in the wind energy market which likely to increase the requirement for maintenance. Middle-East and Africa region witnessing significant growth in wind power plant which is likely to provide the opportunity to the growth of global wind turbine maintenance, repair & overhaul market.
- Asia-Pacific is expected to be the fastest growing region, owing to the largest and fastest increase in wind power installed capacity in 2020.
Scope of the Report
The wind turbine maintenance, repair, and overhaul (MRO) market report includes:
|Location of Deployment|
|Middle-East and Africa|
Key Market Trends
Offshore Wind Installations Expected to Witness Signifcant Growth
- As demand for energy is rising, major countries and companies are turning towards the adoption of renewable energy as it has the ability to provide clean energy. The adoption of offshore wind energy with advance technology attracted the countries and companies for high investment.
- By location of deployment, the offshore industry is expected to remain the driver of the global wind turbine industry investments during the forecast period, owing to declining costs and improved technology.
- The global offshore market remained stable in 2020, with 6.06 GW of new additions, almost the same as in 2019. The total cumulative offshore installations have reached 35.3 GW, representing a 21.7% increase in cumulative offshore wind installed capacity over the previous year.
- The offshore wind industry witnessed major installations in 2020. For instance, China installed a 3 GW offshore wind in a single year, followed by the Netherlands (installed 1.5 GW), Belgium (installed 706 MW), the United Kingdom (installed 483 MW), and Germany (237 MW). However, the slowdown of growth in terms of new installation in the United Kingdom was mainly due to the gap between the execution of projects in the Contracts for Difference (CfD) 1 and CfD 2 rounds. Furthermore, in Germany, the slowdown in new installations was primarily caused by unfavorable conditions and a lower level of the short-term offshore wind project pipeline.
- The expected increase in the deployment of wind turbines in more complex and challenging environments, such as farther offshore, coupled with the growing capacity of the wind turbine capacity, has put additional pressure on the operating components of the wind turbine. This results in premature failure of the components, such as gearbox and other components, and is likely to cause a significant downturn in wind farms. Additionally, the costs involved in providing MRO services are much higher than onshore sites. Factors, such as increased material, service, and hard-to-access terrains, are restraining growth compared to onshore facilities.
- Therefore, owing to the above points, offshore wind deployments are expected to witness significant growth in wind turbine maintenance, repair & overhaul market during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Expected to be the Fastest Growing Market
- Asia-Pacific is the fastest growing wind energy market in the world, owing to the contribution of China. The region has a cumulative installed capacity of 346.70 GW, of which onshore wind power installed capacity is 336.29 GW and offshore wind power installed capacity is 10.41 GW.
- As of 2020, China had the largest wind power installed capacity in Asia-Pacific, around 278.32 GW. The country is also considered among the top markets in the onshore wind power industry globally. In 2020, China added up to 58.93 GW of new wind power, with 48.94 GW onshore installations and 9.99 GW offshore installations. All of this indicates that China is expected to be the largest market for maintenance, repair, and overhaul services in the Asia-Pacific region.
- On the other hand, India, the second-largest country in the Asia-Pacific region in terms of wind energy installed capacity, sat only with a capacity of 38.625 GW as of 2020. However, over the next ten years, the electricity demand is expected to double in the country of 1.35 billion people. Accordingly, the Indian government has set a target of 175 GW of renewable energy capacity by 2022, of which 60 GW is expected to come from wind energy, and a target of 450 GW by 2030, of which 140 GW is expected to be wind-based generation. The country boasts a technical potential at a 120-meter hub height of a vast 695 GW.
- South Korea also aims to have a total renewable energy capacity of 63.8 GW by 2030, with approximately 18 GW coming from wind power. The international players, such as Orsted, have stated that South Korea may thrive from wind power generation, particularly in offshore areas considering its geographical characteristics.
- This, in turn, is expected to present Asia-Pacific as an excellent business destination for players involved in the global wind turbine maintenance, repair & overhaul business during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The global wind turbine maintenance, repair, and overhaul market is moderately fragmented. Some of the key players in this market include Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy SA, General Electric Company, Suzlon Energy Ltd, ABB Ltd, and Vestas Wind Systems A/S among others.
Vestas Wind Systems A/S
Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy SA
General Electric Company
Suzlon Energy Ltd
- In February 2021, Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy signed an agreement with Gemini Consortium to extend the operation and maintenance service agreement for 600 MW Gemini’s offshore wind energy farm in the Dutch North Sea until 2036. Furthermore, the original 15-year long-term plan (LTP) has been extended by five years and covers different upgrades and new services, providing more control over O&M.
- In May 2021, GE Renewable Energy announced that it secured a contract from BIM Wind JSC, a joint venture between Vietnam BIM Energy and Philippines AC Energy, for an 88 MW wind farm. The order also includes 15-years of full-service operation and maintenance contract, and the project is expected to be commissioned by the end of the third quarter in 2021.
Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Global Renewable Energy Mix, 2020
4.3 Wind Power Installed Capacity and Forecast in GW, till 2027
4.4 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2027
4.5 Global Average Size of Wind Turbine in MW, 2018-2027
4.6 Recent Trends and Developments
4.7 Government Policies and Regulations
4.8 Market Dynamics
4.9 Supply Chain Analysis
4.10 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.10.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.10.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.10.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.10.4 Threat of Substitutes Products and Services
4.10.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Location of Deployment
5.2 Service Type
5.3.3 Rotor Blades
5.3.4 Other Components
5.4.1 North America
5.4.4 South America
5.4.5 Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy SA
6.3.2 General Electric Company
6.3.3 Stork (a Fluor Company)
6.3.4 Moventas Gears Oy
6.3.5 ZF Friedrichshafen AG
6.3.6 Vestas Wind Systems A/S
6.3.7 Suzlon Energy Ltd
6.3.8 ABB Ltd
6.3.9 Dana SAC UK Ltd
6.3.10 Nordex SE
6.3.11 Mistras Group
6.3.12 Integrated Power Services LLC
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Wind Turbine Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) Market market is studied from 2019 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Wind Turbine Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) Market?
The Wind Turbine Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) Market is growing at a CAGR of 15.86% over the next 5 years.
What is Wind Turbine Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) Market size in 2019?
The Wind Turbine Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) Market is valued at 81 Billion USD in 2019.
What is Wind Turbine Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) Market size in 2027?
The Wind Turbine Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) Market is valued at 232 Billion USD in 2027.
Which region has highest growth rate in Wind Turbine Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Wind Turbine Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) Market?
Europe holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Wind Turbine Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) Market?
Vestas Wind Systems A/S , Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy SA , General Electric Company , Suzlon Energy Ltd , ABB Ltd. are the major companies operating in Wind Turbine Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) Market.