To maintain operational efficiency and meet stringent emission norms from the power plants, the trend of applying continuous maintenance, repair, and overhaul (MRO) services is rising. The global gas turbine MRO market in the power sector is expected to witness a moderate growth during 2018 - 2023 (the forecast period), in the midst of aging power infrastructure, and growing conversion of coal and nuclear-based power plant to gas-based power plant. On the contrary, the growing renewable mix in the global electricity generation is expected to act as a restraint for the MRO market. North America is expected to account for the largest market share during the forecast period. Moreover, Asia-Pacific is emerging as the fastest growing market.
Aging Power Facilities Fueling the Demand
The existing fleet of the electric power generation capacity has a wide age range. Most of the coal and nuclear-based power plants were built during 1970 and 1990, with peak addition in 1980. The gas-fired power plants have been known to be a bridge between coal and oil age and the renewable-based future. In the most recent wave of additions, the gas-fired power plants witnessed a peak in 2002, with the majority of them added between 1998 and 2008. Thus, the equipment installed in approximately all the gas-fired power plants, across the globe, are expected to require significant MRO services during the forecast period. Moreover, in the next ten years, USD 256.77 billion of investment is anticipated for the commissioning of 17,680 gas turbines (excluding micro turbines). Additionally, because of the advantages offered by gas-fired power plants, such as low carbon emission and high efficiency, many of the coal power plants are being replaced or retrofitted by gas-fired plants, which, in turn, is expected to increase the demand for gas turbine MRO services during the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific to Register the Highest Market Growth
According to the International Energy Agency (IEA), developing countries in Asia accounted for two-thirds of the global energy growth in 2017. Buoyed by the robust increase in demand for energy and the rapid capacity expansions in the power sector, the power plant service activities in Asia-Pacific continues to soar high. Asia-Pacific is witnessing a significant transition from nuclear and coal-based power generation to gas-fired power generation, which is expected to present a tremendous market opportunity for the growth of the gas turbine MRO services market in Asia-Pacific. However, North America is expected to hold the largest market share during the forecast period, with Europe emerging as another significant market for MRO services in the power industry.
Natural Gas Set to Fuel the Future of Power Generation in the United States
The US market is experiencing an upsurge in the establishment of small-scale turbines, with an increased focus on flexibility and efficiency. By 2038, the natural gas-fired generation facilities are expected to fuel 348,000 MW of gas-fired capacity to the US grid. The natural gas-fired combined cycle gas turbine (CCGT) power plants are expected to account for over 50% of the power generated in the United States. According to EIA, power plants fueled with natural gas are likely to account for 70% of all new generation capacity after 2020. With the increasing adoption rate of gas-based power generation in the United States, the demand for MRO services in the power sector is expected to increase during the forecast period, significantly.
Notable Developments in the Market
- October 2017: GE Power secured around USD 141 million contract to service turbines at Riyadh Power Plant 12.
- August 2017: Siemens expanded O&M deal for two newly added units at the Khormala gas power plant in Kurdistan, Iraq.
- July 2017: MTU Maintenance renewed the exclusive LM6000 gas turbines maintenance, repair, and overhaul contract with Sahacogen.
MAJOR PLAYERS: General Electric Co., Bechtel Corporation, Flour Corporation, Amec Foster Wheeler PLC, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd, Siemens AG, Sulzer Corporation, Wood Group GTS, TGM Turbinas (now WEG SA), Babcock & Wilcox Enterprises Inc.
Reasons to Purchase This Report
- To identify the market drivers, restraints, and opportunities that are possessed by the global gas turbine MRO market in the power sector, with in-depth analysis
- To analyze the various perspectives of the global market dynamics, with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- To identify the most dominating type of service with studied market estimate for the global gas turbine MRO market in the power sector
- To identify the largest, fastest growing, and significant region during the forecast period, with in-depth analysis
- To identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies that are employed by the major market players
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel).
Customization of the Report
- This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our representative, who will ensure you to get a report that suits your needs.
1. Executive Summary
2. Research Methodology
3. Market Overview
3.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast until 2023
3.3 Recent Trends and Developments
3.4 Government Rules & Regulations
4. Market Dynamics
5. Value Chain Analysis
6. Industry Attractiveness: Porter’s Five Force Analysis
6.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
6.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
6.3 Threat of New Entrants
6.4 Threat of Substitutes
6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
7. Global Gas Turbine MRO Market in the Power Sector Analysis, by Service Type (Overview, Market Size and Demand Forecast until 2023)
8. Global Gas Turbine MRO Market in the Power Sector Analysis, by Geography (Overview, Market Size and Demand Forecast until 2023)
8.1.5 Rest of Asia-Pacific
8.2 North America
8.2.1 United States
8.2.3 Rest of North America
8.3.2 United Kingdom
8.3.7 Rest of Europe
8.4 South America
8.4.3 Rest of South America
8.5 Middle East & Africa
8.5.1 Saudi Arabia
8.5.6 Rest of Middle East & Africa
9. Key Company Analysis* (Overview, Products & Services, Financial Analysis**, Recent Development and Analyst View)
9.1 General Electric Co.
9.2 Bechtel Corporation
9.3 Flour Corporation
9.4 Amec Foster Wheeler PLC
9.5 Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd
9.6 Siemens AG
9.7 Sulzer Corporation
9.8 Wood Group GTS
9.9 TGM Turbinas (now WEG SA)
9.10 Babcock & Wilcox Enterprises Inc.
10. Competitive Landscape
10.1 Mergers & Acquisitions
10.2 Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
10.3 Market Share Analysis
10.4 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
11.1 Contact Us
(*List of companies is not exhaustive. Please let us know if you are interested in any company profile)
(**Subject to availability on public domain)