Waterproofing Membrane Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|> 8.00 %
|Fastest Growing Market
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Waterproofing Membrane Market Analysis
The market for the waterproofing membrane is expected to register a CAGR of over 8% during the forecast period.
The COVID-19 outbreak resulted in a global lockdown, a breakdown in supply chains and manufacturing activities, and production halts, all of which had a detrimental effect on the market in 2020. However, things started to improve in 2021, which allowed the market to resume its upward trend for the remainder of the projected period.
- The growing utilization in the mining industry is one of the key factors influencing the market under study. Throughout the anticipated period, the rapid expansion of the construction industry in Asia-Pacific is also predicted to increase demand for waterproofing membranes.
- However, competition from eco-friendly alternatives and environmental and health hazards associated with waterproofing will likely restrain the market. Plummeting oil and petrochemicals prices may also hinder market growth.
- Growing innovations and applications regarding waterproofing membranes are likely to act as an opportunity for market growth in the future.
- Europe region dominated the market and accounted for the major market share of the market studied.
Waterproofing Membrane Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Waterproofing Membrane Market according to our research experts:
Roofing and Walls Application to Dominate the Market
- Waterproofing membranes are used in roofing and building walls because they have high tensile strength and are weather resistant. They also provide fire resistance and aid in improving flow resistance at high temperatures.
- The demand for waterproofing membranes from roofing and wall applications increased in Asia-Pacific and the Middle East. It is mainly due to increased commercial infrastructure projects in these regions.
- PVC roofing systems have grown in popularity in recent years due to several distinguishing characteristics, including longevity, durability in harsh weather and temperature extremes, low lifecycle costs, energy efficiency, heat and solar reflectance, flame resistance, chemical and grease resistance, ease of maintenance, ease and flexibility of installation, and inherent recyclability/re-use, among many others.
- According to the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (UK), new housing unit construction in the United Kingdom increased from 41,600 units in Q4 2021 to 42,350 in Q1 2022. Furthermore, according to a recent report by the House of Commons published in 2022, the number of households across England is expected to increase gradually to 26.9 million units by 2043, registering a year-on-year increase of approximately 150,000 households each year.
- According to the Bureau of Economic Analysis, the total value added by the construction industry in the first three quarters of 2022 in the United States was around USD 2,980 billion, roughly 5% higher than the previous year for the same period.
- In February 2022, the Manchester City Council approved the nine-year construction project of four skyscrapers. Under this project, the construction of apartment blocks, ranging from 39 stories to 60 stories, is planned on the banks of the river Irwell, known as Trinity Islands. The project is likely to include the construction of about 1,950 flats.
- The factors above and rising investments in the construction industry indicate the rising need for waterproofing of roofing and walls across housing and commercial building establishments, thereby driving demand for waterproofing membranes during the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific to Witness the Highest Growth Rate
- Asia-Pacific is anticipated to be the fastest-growing market for waterproofing membranes, in terms of both value and volume, during the forecast period. The majority of the demand is coming from China and India.
- China's building industry is expanding at a rapid pace. According to the National Bureau of Statistics of China, construction output in China was valued at around CNY 276 billion (USD 40 billion) in the fourth quarter of 2022, representing a 50% increase over the previous quarter (USD 27.6 billion).
- The Chinese government also outlined long-term goals for infrastructure development, including the construction of 162,000 km of motorways by 2035.
- On the other hand, the waterproofing market in India is aided by affordable housing, which is fast-gaining center stage, with the government recognizing it as a mainstream agenda. The Indian government, in its Union Budget 2022-23, allocated INR 48,000 crores (~USD 5.8 billion) for its PM Aawas Yojana scheme, reiterating its commitment to building affordable homes for the urban poor.
- Japan also received a major boost in the building and construction industry. Many luxury apartments and residential complexes are under construction in Japan. For example, Mitsubishi State is developing Japan's tallest building, which will include 50 luxury apartments, each of which will be able to produce USD 43,000 in rent each month. The project is being built near Tokyo Station and is expected to be completed in 2027.
- Therefore, considering such factors, the market for waterproofing membranes in Asia-Pacific is expected to grow during the forecast period.
Waterproofing Membrane Industry Overview
The market for waterproofing membranes is moderately fragmented, as the market share is divided among several companies. Some of the major players in the market include (not in any particular order) Minerals Technology Inc., Soprema Group, Sika AG, BASF SE, and Dow, among others.
Waterproofing Membrane Market Leaders
Minerals Technologies Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Waterproofing Membrane Market News
- May 2022: Sika AG acquired the US-based United Gilsonite Laboratories (UGL), a leading manufacturer of coatings and waterproofing solutions (including membranes) for the construction industry. UGL products can be found at primary retail shops in the United States. This acquisition is expected to complement Sika's high-value-added concrete and masonry waterproofing systems.
- April 2022: Pidilite Industries Ltd partnered with GCP Applied Technologies Inc, a global leader in construction products from the United States. This partnership will enable Pidilite to offer high-performance waterproofing solutions under its brand, Dr.Fixit.
Waterproofing Membrane Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Usage in the Mining Sector
4.1.2 Rapid Growth of Construction Sector in Asia-Pacific Region
4.2.1 Competition from Eco-friendly Alternatives
4.2.2 Environmental and Health Hazards
4.2.3 Plummeting Oil and Petrochemicals Prices
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Raw Material Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Value)
5.1 Raw Material
5.1.1 Modified Bitumen
5.2.1 Cold Liquid-applied Membranes
5.2.2 Hot Liquid-applied Membranes
5.2.3 Fully Adhered Sheets
5.2.4 Loose Laid Sheets
5.3.1 Roofing and Walls
5.3.2 Water and Waste Management
5.3.3 Building Structures
5.3.4 Tunnel Liners
5.3.5 Bridges and Highways
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.2 North America
220.127.116.11 United States
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
22.214.171.124 Rest of the Europe
5.4.4 South America
126.96.36.199 Rest of South America
5.4.5 Middle East & Africa
188.8.131.52 Saudi Arabia
184.108.40.206 South Africa
220.127.116.11 Rest of Middle East & Africa (MEA)
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share Analysis**
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 BASF SE
6.4.2 Carlisle Companies Inc.
6.4.4 Derbigum Manufacturing (Pty) Ltd
6.4.6 Fosroc, Inc.
6.4.9 IKO Industries Ltd
6.4.10 Johns Manville
6.4.11 Juta AS
6.4.12 Pidilite Industries Limited
6.4.13 Renolit SE
6.4.14 Schlüter-Systems Ltd.
6.4.15 Sika AG
6.4.16 Solmax International Inc.
6.4.17 Soprema Group
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Growing Innovations and Applications Regarding Waterproofing Membranes
Waterproofing Membrane Market Research FAQs
What is the current Waterproofing Membrane Market size?
The Waterproofing Membrane Market is projected to register a CAGR of greater than 8% during the forecast period (2024-2029)
Who are the key players in Waterproofing Membrane Market?
Minerals Technologies Inc., Soprema Group, Sika AG, BASF SE and Dow are the major companies operating in the Waterproofing Membrane Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Waterproofing Membrane Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2024-2029).
Which region has the biggest share in Waterproofing Membrane Market?
In 2024, the Europe accounts for the largest market share in Waterproofing Membrane Market.
What years does this Waterproofing Membrane Market cover?
The report covers the Waterproofing Membrane Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Waterproofing Membrane Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Water Proofing Membrane Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Water Proofing Membrane market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Water Proofing Membrane analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.