Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The US printing inks market stood at around 990 kilotons in 2021, and it is expected to register a CAGR of more than 2.7% during the forecast period ( 2022-2027).
The impact of COVID-19 was negligible on the market, and the market is expected to grow at a steady rate during the forecast period.
- The major factors driving the growth of the market studied include the growing demand from the digital printing industry and rising demand from the packaging and labels sector.
- On the flip side, rising demand for digital advertisements and e-books and stringent regulations regarding disposal are expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
Scope of the report
Printing inks consist of pigments or pigments of required color mixed with oil or varnish, majorly a black ink made from carbon blacks and thick linseed oil added. The market for printing inks is segmented by type, process, and application. By type, the market is segmented into solvent-based, water-based, oil-based, UV, UV-LED, and other types. By process, the market is segmented into lithographic printing, flexographic printing, gravure printing, digital printing, and other processes. By application, the market is segmented into packaging, commercial and publication, textiles, and other applications. The report offers market size and forecasts for printing ink in the United States in volume in kilo tons for all the above segments.
|Commercial and Publication|
Key Market Trends
Water-based Inks to Observe the Highest Growth
- Water-based inks have pigments or dyes in a colloidal suspension of solvent, with the solvent being water. Although there can be other co-solvents, the main solvent in water-based inks is water.
- These printing inks are used majorly in flexographic printing processes and gravure for applications, such as beverage and detergent cartons and gift wrap. Water-based inks require higher temperature and longer dry exposure time to drive off water and constituents with lower vapor pressure.
- The main driving force for the usage of water-based inks is that they not only reduce the VOCs but also completely remove hazardous chemicals from the ink.
- With the development of new printing processes and additives, water-based inks are now majorly used in almost all printing processes and on most materials for many different applications.
- Water-based inks work well in printing applications involving paper, cardboard, and textiles, and they are used to print on foils, plastics, and food packaging.
- Hence, water-based inks are likely to exhibit the highest growth in the US printing ink market with the growing research on water-based inks, making them suitable for diverse purposes.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Flexible Packaging Segment to Dominate the Market
- Flexible packaging is the largest packaging application segment of the overall packaging market, owing to its various advantages, such as requiring 91% lesser material than rigid packaging and about 96% of space-saving.
- Moreover, with an increasing focus on sustainability, traditional rigid packaging solutions are being replaced by innovative and flexible packaging solutions.
- In the food industry, flexible packaging is preferred due to its moisture absorption properties, product freshness, and temperature control while being able to maintain the shelf life of the product. Cigarettes and associated tobacco products are major products for the flexible packaging industry, among other products, such as bottled water.
- The demand for lightweight and innovative packaging solutions from the food industry is majorly driving the market.
- The growing trend of online interaction with consumers is the new branding technique for companies, as they are eager to forge a longer-lasting two-way relationship with consumers by integrating with social media.
- Flexible packaging inks also offer many advantages to brand owners, retailers, and consumers, such as high graphic appearance. They also contribute to the performance of the package by preserving the quality of the images during manufacturing, packaging, transportation, and end use of products.
- Thus, based on the aforementioned aspects, Flexible packaging is expected to dominate the market.
The US printing inks market is fragmented in nature, with no company holding a major share in the market. The top manufacturers of the market (in no particular order) include Sun Chemical, Flint Group, Sakata Inx Corporation, and Siegwerk Druckfarben AG & Co. KGaA.
Sakata Inx Corporation
Siegwerk Druckfarben AG & Co. KGaA
Hubergroup Deutschland GmbH
- In May 2021, Epple Druckfarben AG and Zeller+Gmelin GmbH & Co. KG were working together in the field of UV ink technology. The first result of this partnership is a jointly developed UV-LED ink for sheetfed offset. The products are developed for different areas of application, which Epple will market worldwide under the LightStar brand.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Demand from the Digital Printing Industry
4.1.2 High Demand from the Packaging Sector
4.2.1 Rising Demand for Digital Advertisements and E-books
4.2.2 Stringent Regulations Regarding Disposal
4.3 Industry Value Chain
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.6 Other Types
5.2.1 Lithographic Printing
5.2.2 Flexographic Printing
5.2.3 Gravure Printing
5.2.4 Digital Printing
5.2.5 Other Processes
184.108.40.206 Rigid Packaging
220.127.116.11.1 Paperboard Containers
18.104.22.168.2 Corrugated Boxes
22.214.171.124.3 Rigid Plastic Containers
126.96.36.199.4 Metal Cans
188.8.131.52.5 Other Rigid Packaging
184.108.40.206 Flexible Packaging
220.127.116.11 Other Packaging
5.3.2 Commercial and Publication
5.3.4 Other Applications
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share(%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.2 Dainichiseika Color & Chemicals Mfg Co. Ltd
6.4.5 Electronics For Imaging Inc.
6.4.6 Flint Group
6.4.7 FUJIFILM Corporation
6.4.8 Hubergroup Deutschland GmbH
6.4.9 Sakata Inx Corporation
6.4.10 Sicpa Holding SA
6.4.11 Siegwerk Druckfarben AG & Co. KGaA
6.4.12 Sun Chemical
6.4.13 T&K TOKA Corporation
6.4.14 Tokyo Printing Ink Mfg Co. Ltd
6.4.15 Toyo Ink SC Holdings Co. Ltd
6.4.16 Wikoff Color Corporation
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Emergence of Bio-based and UV-curable Inks
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The United States Printing Inks Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of United States Printing Inks Market?
The United States Printing Inks Market is growing at a CAGR of >2.75% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in United States Printing Inks Market?
Sun Chemical, Flint Group, Sakata Inx Corporation, Siegwerk Druckfarben AG & Co. KGaA, Hubergroup Deutschland GmbH are the major companies operating in United States Printing Inks Market.