Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The North American e-bike market was valued at USD 0.80 billion in 2021, and it is expected to reach USD 1.62 billion by 2027, registering a CAGR of 12.51% during the forecast period (2022 - 2027).
Owing to the COVID-19 pandemic, micro-mobility turned into an essential transportation service. After an initial slump in e-bike sales during lockdowns, the demand for e-bikes skyrocketed, as various dealers in the United States reported more than a 100% increase in sales year-over-year.
Governments are investing in bike sharing programs and bike lanes and more pedestrian-friendly streets as part of major initiatives to increase transportation options, enhance road safety, and improve the environment. All these developments are driving the market’s growth.
Electric transportation is not limited only to four wheels as e-bikes are experiencing incredible growth in sales, not only in the European countries but also in the United States, owing to technological advancements in battery packs and drive motors and e-bike sharing.
E-cargo bikes are gaining traction in major cities in the region, as leading logistics companies like DHL Express, Fed-Ex, and UPS are employing e-bikes for their last-mile delivery. These electrically-assisted cycles, which can carry around goods ranging in size from 400 pounds to 800 pounds, are also in use in several pilot projects in US cities.
Scope of the Report
E-bikes are bicycles with a battery-powered assist that comes via pedaling and, in some cases, a throttle. E-bikes are bicycles augmented with an electric motor that makes the ride easier when traveling through mountains and hills. The scope of the report covers segmentation based on propulsion type, application type, and geography. The report also covers details about the latest technologies, developments, and advancements in the market.
By propulsion type, the market is segmented into pedal-assisted and throttle-assisted (power-on-demand). By application type, the market is segmented into city/urban, trekking (e-mountain bikes/e-MTB), and cargo. By geography, the market is segmented into the United States, Canada, and Rest of North America. For each segment, market sizing and forecast have been done on the basis of value (USD billion).
|Trekking (E-mountain Bikes/e-MTB)|
|Rest of North America|
Key Market Trends
The Pedal-assist Segment is Expected to Dominate the Market
The pedal-assisted segment is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period. Pedal-assist is an operating mode on an electric bike, where once it is activated, the motor kicks in while the rider is pedaling. It is designed to help the rider pedal easier and has varied settings, allowing the users an effortless ride at the desired speed.
The major players in the market are adopting various growth strategies, such as partnerships and collaborations, to capture most of the market share. Moreover, product launches are expected to make the regional market more competitive in the pedal-assisted segment. For instance:
- In October 2020, Harley-Davidson unveiled a brand to focus exclusively on the e-bicycle market. Named Serial 1 Cycle Co., the brand’s products will be pedal-assist electric bicycles. The e-bicycles are expected to be available via direct-to-consumer sales online and at select Harley-Davidson dealers.
- In July 2020, Yamaha Bicycles introduced two new offerings under the all-mountain e-bike segment, i.e., YDX-MORO and YDX-MORO Pro Boast PW-X2 drive units. It also launched a new proprietary Quad Sensor System in Automatic, MTB, and Walk Assist modes.
With various bike-sharing platforms in the region adding new pedal-assisted e-bikes to their fleet, the pedal-assist segment may witness healthy growth during the forecast period. For instance:
- In February 2021, Revel announced its plans of expanding its product line-up to include monthly e-bike subscriptions for residents of New York City. The pedal-assist bikes, manufactured by WING Bikes, come equipped with a 36-volt battery that can travel 45 miles on a single charge and reach speeds of up to 20 miles per hour.
Due to the aforementioned developments, the demand for pedal-assisted e-bikes is anticipated to increase in the coming years.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
The United States is Anticipated to Play a Significant Role in the Market
The US e-bike market is expected to hold a significant share in the market during the forecast period. Some of the major factors driving the market's growth are the increasing focus on travel and recreational activities and lesser traffic congestion. Rising e-bike sales despite the pandemic and increasing interest among the youth in trekking and adventurous activities are likely to propel the growth of the market during the forecast period.
Moreover, the major cities in the United States are adding bike lanes to support the rapid adoption of e-bikes. For instance:
- In December 2020, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that the New York City Department of Transportation (DOT) had constructed a record 28.6 lane miles of new protected bike lanes across all five boroughs.
To further explore the untapped market potential, companies are launching e-bikes to commercialize the e-bikes segment and increase their share and revenue in the market. For instance:
- In March 2021, Kent announced its first electric bicycle, designed especially for children. The Kent Torpedo is a pedal-assist e-bike. The motor has a 24V 5.2Ah battery with a capacity of 125 Wh. In low power mode, the battery is sufficient for a range of 15 miles (25 km).
Thus, based on the factors mentioned above, the United States is expected to witness significant growth and contribute to the development of the North American e-bike market.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The North American e-bike market is highly fragmented, with the major players holding a low market share. Some of the key players in the market are adopting various growth strategies, such as diversifying their product portfolios through innovations and new launches, to retain their spots as market leaders. For instance:
- In January 2021, Ford, Trek, and Bosch partnered to develop a Bicycle-To-Vehicle (B2V) Communication safety software that may allow forms of micro-mobility to communicate with nearby vehicles so that drivers in big cities and congested areas are more aware of riders out of their line of sight. It could also trigger visible alerts on bicycles when cars get too close.
- In October 2020, Gazelle announced new electric bicycles with the first belt drives in the United States, adding two new models to its Ultimate line for the North American market, namely, the Gazelle Ultimate C8 and Ultimate C380.
Some of the major players in the market include Trek Bicycles Corporation, Giant Manufacturing Co. Ltd, Cannondale Bicycle Corporation, and Accell Group.
- In April 2021, Yamaha Motor Corporation USA launched its first complete full-suspension eMTB, the 2021 YDX Moro Pro, equipped with the Yamaha PWX-2 motor, a 500 Wh battery, 160 mm travel, and 27.5″ wheels.
- In April 2021, VanMoof announced its most anticipated innovation to date – a removable power bank that gives riders up to 62 miles extra range on their VanMoof S3 or X3. The accessory makes VanMoof’s e-bikes even more accessible, as even longer commute distances are now possible on a single charge.
- In March 2021, Cannondale launched a range of e-bikes oriented toward commuters or generalist riders. The Adventure Neo line features four different models, all of which feature an alloy frame, a step-through design, and a Bosch drive system with a battery ranging from 400 to 625W.
- In January 2021, Merida announced three new electric bikes, namely, the eScultura drop-bar road, eSpeeder flat-bar hybrid, and eSilex gravel bikes. These bikes are equipped with a 250Wh battery, powered by the Mahle e-bike motion X35+ rear hub electric motor and offering 250 watts of output and 40Nm of torque.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Challenges
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Propulsion Type
5.1.2 Throttle-assisted (Power-on-demand)
5.2.2 Trekking (E-mountain Bikes/e-MTB)
5.3.1 United States
5.3.3 Rest of North America
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Vendor Market Share
6.2 Company Profiles
6.2.1 Trek Bicycle Corporation
6.2.2 Pedego Inc.
6.2.3 Royal Dutch Gazelle
6.2.4 Yamaha Motor Corporation
6.2.5 Accell Group NV
6.2.6 Giant Manufacturing Co. Ltd
6.2.7 Merida Industry Co. Ltd
6.2.8 Riese & Muller GmbH
6.2.9 Dorel Industries Inc.
6.2.10 VanMoof BV
6.2.11 Rad Power Bikes LLC
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The North America E-bike Market market is studied from 2018 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of North America E-bike Market ?
The North America E-bike Market is growing at a CAGR of 12.51% over the next 5 years.
What is North America E-bike Market size in 2018?
The North America E-bike Market is valued at 0.9 Billion USD in 2018.
What is North America E-bike Market size in 2027?
The North America E-bike Market is valued at 1.44 Billion USD in 2027.
Who are the key players in North America E-bike Market ?
Trek Bicycle Corporation, Raleigh Bicycles Company, Giant Manufacturing Co. Ltd, Specialized Bicycle Components, Inc., Dorel Industries Inc. are the major companies operating in North America E-bike Market .