Tourism Vehicle Rental Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Fastest Growing Market
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Tourism Vehicle Rental Market Analysis
The Tourism Vehicle Rental Market was valued at USD 61.28 billion in 2021 and is expected to reach USD 97.23 billion by 2027 registering a CAGR of around 8% during the forecast period (2022 - 2027).
The COVID-19 pandemic hindered the growth of the Tourism Rental Market as there were global factory shutdowns, travel bans, and border lockdowns, to combat and contain the outbreak, impacting every industry and economy worldwide. As tourism is a huge market, the demand for vehicle rentals halted with continuous lockdowns across the world.
However, as the unlocking process began restoring economic activities Tourism vehicle rental market is expected to witness nominal growth during the forecast period. People tend to prefer rental vehicles to any other means of transportation to maintain social distancing and hygiene protocols.
Other driving factors of the tourism vehicle rental market are, comfort, quality of life, freedom of moment, affordability, and low cost of traveling. The luxury vehicles segment will grow at the fastest pace during the forecast period owing to increased travel budgets of tourists around the world.
Region-wise, Asia-Pacific is one of the fastest-growing regional markets for tourism vehicle rental within the forecast period due to the growing population coupled with transportation issues in the region. Tourism vehicle rental service is very useful in Asian countries like India, Australia, Cambodia, Japan, China, etc. North America is expected to witness significant growth amid rising road trips by people during forecast period.
Tourism Vehicle Rental Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Tourism Vehicle Rental Market according to our research experts:
Online Booking Expected to Witness Significant Growth during the Forecast Period
Increased concern and awareness about the containment of the virus have primarily led to an increase in vehicle rental options. Additionally, the tourism vehicle rental market also provides the option of increased mobility without the concern of paying the costs associated with vehicle ownership. These services are offered via websites and through other online platforms attributing to the growth of the market.
Increasing penetration of the internet and smartphone among consumers is estimated to shift consumers' inclination toward online booking mode. The growth is attributed to consumers' preference to have detailed access to the offerings of accommodation, amenities, and other benefits. For instance, in 2021 more than 60% of the total vehicle rental booking were made through online means. Additionally, owing to the increased internet usage, this number is expected to cross 70% by 2027.
With the growing trend in technology, renting a vehicle through online booking has become the most preferred choice of customers over the past few years. Moreover, it provides additional facilities to monitor a rental vehicle's operation, performance, and maintenance in real-time. Such features are tremendous assets for drivers and fleet managers, enabling them to better identify risks and implement timely improvements to their rental services.
Value for money, convenience, and search for authentic travel experiences are major factors fueling the growth of online booking. The increasing number of startups and third-party travel booking companies are offering services via application and website only. Hence, consumers are shifting their preferences from offline booking mode to online. These aforementioned factors are boosting the growth of online booking mode.
Rising Demand for Tourism Rental Vehicles in North America
The United States is the leader in the tourism vehicle rental market as major car-renting companies have their fleets in almost all the major cities. The size of the fleet for any player depends on the number of tourists preferring to rent a vehicle locally and the volume of foreign passengers visiting a city. Canada has a large domestic and foreign tourism industry.
- Being the second-largest country in the world, Canada's incredible geographical variety and the presence of around 20 world heritage sites are significant tourist attractions across the country. Much of the country's tourism is centered in regions like Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver/Whistler, Niagara Falls, Vancouver Island, Calgary/Canadian Rockies, British Columbia's Okanagan Valley, and the national capital region Ottawa. Therefore, these regions are some major hotspots for tourism vehicle renting.
Europe is also expected to see positive growth during the forecast period. The main driving factors behind corporations expanding their fleets are a good macroeconomic outlook and the government's expansionary policies. Fleet managers are increasingly choosing low-emission vehicles such as electric vehicles and hybrids as the government adopts regulations against polluting diesel automobiles. As leasing is a reasonable car finance option because of the significant residual risks involved with such vehicles, it is expected to discourage van rental companies to expand in the region. Considering the update of electric vehicles, OEMs are launching electric vans in the region. For instance,
- In May 2021, Opel has unveiled its two new vans Movano and Movano-e. The vans are available in two powertrain option such as diesel and electric. The vans are also equipped with High-tech assistance systems for protection of all road users. The vans are available across rest of Europe such as in Poland, Netherlands, Sweden, Greece etc.
Apart from these factors, the increasing demand for rental vehicles is mainly driven by people's interest in road trips and the rising importance of comfort and safety in the wake of the pandemic. The tourism rental market is expected to grow gradually as transport operations returned to their normal functioning with a new normal, i.e., following social security guidelines for safety.
Tourism Vehicle Rental Industry Overview
The tourism vehicle rental market is consolidated and dominated by a few players, such as Enterprise Holdings Inc., Hertz Global Holdings Inc., Avis, Europcar Mobility Group, Sixt SE, and Budget, among others. The companies are expanding their fleet size and launching. For instance,
- In July 2021, Key'n Go, which is operated by Goldcar, the low-cost brand of Europcar Mobility Group allows customers to benefit, at scale, from a 100% digital, safe and fast solution to book, pick up & return their vehicle in 35 key leisure airports in Southern Europe.
- In December 2021, Zoom car, an India-based car rental startup, announced that it will soon launch its operations in Vietnam. The company has also roped in Kiet Pham, who previously held senior management positions in Gojek and Oyo, as it is country head. Zoom car added that the foray into Vietnam is in line with the company's mission to democratize car access across the world's most populated and fastest-growing emerging markets.
- In February 2020, the SIXT Company's 42% stake was acquired by Hyundai Capital Services for around USD 170 Million. Further, in June 2020, SIX, T, a leading German-based international provider of high-end mobility services, hasn't built a new partnership with the car rental, leasing, and limousine subsidiary Alturki Holding Saudi Arabia.
- Avis Budget Group Inc. added 6,000 Peugeot, Citroën, and DS vehicles to its connected car rental fleet in Europe. These vehicles may operate across the company's Avis and Budget brands in Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom, along with the Maggiore brand in Italy.
Tourism Vehicle Rental Market Leaders
The Hertz Corporation
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Tourism Vehicle Rental Market News
- In January 2022, ekar, the Middle East's mobility company, launched its operations in Thailand starting with Bangkok and with plans to expand into other countries. ekar is launching its proprietary car subscription service which offers cars from one to nine-month terms for a single monthly subscription cost with no down payments or long-term commitments via the ekar app.
- In December 2021, Volkswagen announced plans to acquire Europcar in France and launched USD 3.4 billion. The acquisition will be handled by Green Mobility Holding, a dedicated vehicle of which Volkswagen will own two-third.
- In November 2021, Hertz rentals partnered with Tesla Motors, to supply 100,000 Model 3S by 2022, and news that half of these vehicles are expected to be rented out to Uber drivers.
- In July 2021, Key'n Go, which is operated by Goldcar, the low-cost brand of Europcar Mobility Group allows customers to benefit, at scale, from a 100% digital, safe and fast solution to book, pick up & return their vehicle in 35 key leisure airports in Southern Europe
- In February 2021, Theeb Rent a Car, a Saudi-based car rental company extended its car rental fleet in the Kingdom. The company has added more than 1,700 cars from luxury brands such as BMW, Mercedes, and also economic models such as Chevrolet, Kia, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, and Hyundai, including the new 2021 models.
Tourism Vehicle Rental Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Value USD billion)
5.1 Vehicle Type
5.2 Booking Mode
5.3 End User
5.3.1 Self Driven
5.3.2 Rental Agencies
5.4.1 North America
18.104.22.168 United states
22.214.171.124 Rest of North america
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
184.108.40.206 South Korea
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.4 Rest of the World
18.104.22.168 South America
22.214.171.124 Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Vendor Market Share
6.2 Company Profiles*
6.2.1 Auto Europe Deutschland GmbH
6.2.2 Avis Budget Group, Inc.
6.2.3 Seera Group Holdings Co.
6.2.4 Carzonrent India Private Limited
6.2.5 Enterprise Holdings, Inc.
6.2.6 Europcar Mobility Group
6.2.7 The Hertz Corporation
6.2.8 Sixt SE
6.2.9 ZoomCar, Inc.
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Tourism Vehicle Rental Market Research FAQs
What is the current Tourism Vehicle Rental Market size?
The Tourism Vehicle Rental Market is projected to register a CAGR of 8% during the forecast period (2024-2029)
Who are the key players in Tourism Vehicle Rental Market?
Avis, Enterprise, Europcar, The Hertz Corporation and Sixt SE are the major companies operating in the Tourism Vehicle Rental Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Tourism Vehicle Rental Market?
Asia-Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2024-2029).
Which region has the biggest share in Tourism Vehicle Rental Market?
In 2024, the North America accounts for the largest market share in Tourism Vehicle Rental Market.
What years does this Tourism Vehicle Rental Market cover?
The report covers the Tourism Vehicle Rental Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Tourism Vehicle Rental Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Tourist Car Rental Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Tourist Car Rental market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Tourist Car Rental analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.