Sunflower Oil Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Market Size (2024)
|USD 35.98 Billion
|Market Size (2029)
|USD 48.26 Billion
|CAGR (2024 - 2029)
|Fastest Growing Market
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Sunflower Oil Market Analysis
The Sunflower Oil Market size is estimated at USD 35.98 billion in 2024, and is expected to reach USD 48.26 billion by 2029, growing at a CAGR of 6.05% during the forecast period (2024-2029).
- The Global Sunflower Oil Market was valued at USD 31,990.2 million in the current year. Post-pandemic, global consumption saw an inclination toward healthy eating, creating a demand for sunflower oil, considered healthy among edible oils. Consequently, it led to an increase in the cultivated area with sunflowers and an increase in the price of sowing seeds.
- The sunflower seed market (seeds for sowing) witnessed unprecedented vertical growth in recent years. Sunflower oil has high demand in developing countries, as it is healthy and cheaper than most of its counterparts. The increasing sunflower oil consumption offset the global decline in palm, cottonseed, and rapeseed oil.
- The application of sunflower oil is highly witnessed in the personal care segment. Sunflower oil is expected to be in high demand among cosmetic makers, in addition to its use in the healthcare industry. Increased demand for sunscreen, facial masks, and eye treatments would favorably contribute to sunflower oil's global market growth throughout the forecasted period. Furthermore, the global sunflower oil market is predicted to be driven by a growing demand for chemical-free oil personal care products among cosmetic users.
- Hence, manufacturers are launching new products to address the growing demand for chemical-free products. For instance, in April 2022, Keys Soulcare, the company of US singer-songwriter, producer, and actress Alicia Keys, unveiled its new offering of products that nourish the skin with light washes of buildable color. Dr. Renée Snyder, a board-certified dermatologist, collaborated on developing these products, which include comforting tinted lip balms, sheer flush cheek tint, soft stay brow gel, and a natural flush complexion brush which are made with natural ingredients such as avocado oil, camellia seed, sunflower, safflower seed oils and others.
Sunflower Oil Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Sunflower Oil Market according to our research experts:
Surge in Demand for Sunflower Oil as a Food Ingredient, Owing to Its Health Benefits
- Consumers worldwide are increasingly looking for non-GMO and lower-saturated fat foods that meet dietary restrictions, such as vegan, kosher, or halal foods, and which offer a variety of health benefits. As a result, sunflower oil consumption is on the rise among consumers seeking non-GMO products. As sunflower oil is non-GMO, sunflower seeds are grown using traditional breeding techniques, and it is one of the few oils used in food manufacturing that is non-GMO. Furthermore, with good oxidative stability, regular sunflower oil finds many applications in the food industry, mainly as a salad oil and cooking oil in developed countries such as the United Kingdom, Germany and others.
- Some industrial applications of sunflower oil include its use as frying oil and its use in manufacturing mayonnaise and oil-based dressings. In developing companies, players are also launching new brands owing to the rising demand for sunflower oil. For instance, in April 2022, the Karnataka Cooperative Oilseeds Growers' Federation (KOF) of Bengaluru launched a new brand of Dhara sunflower oil. The National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) authorized the Fisheries, Animal Husbandry, and Dairy Minister to provide KOF with a check for INR 16.32 crore (USD 1.9 million) to aid in the purchase of oilseeds and edible oils.
- Additionally, high-oleic sunflower oil has higher oxidated stability than conventional oil. This expands the applications of sunflower oils for frying purposes, enhances the shelf life of snacks, and enables it to be used as an ingredient for infant formulas requiring stability.
- Hence, the manufacturers of snacks are readily opting for sunflower oil due to its capability to impart good properties to the products at a comparatively lower cost than olive oil. Sunflower oil is also a feasible alternative for palm oil in the snack industry since, unlike palm oil, which has a higher freezing point, it does not require additional heating in cold temperatures. This lowers the expense of installing an additional heating system.
Europe Emerged as the Largest Sunflower Oil Market
- Europe held the largest share of the sunflower oil market. The natural neutral oil market in the region is experiencing steady growth due to the rapid increase in natural neutral oil consumption in the region. Among the factors that have led to the rapid usage of sunflower oil in the region are its high level of unsaturated fatty acids and its high smoke point.
- Consumers in Europe are choosing healthier cooking oils to support their health due to their fast-paced lifestyles. As a result, oil consumption has increased significantly in the food service sector and the household. Such trends have aided the market growth of sunflower oil in the region.
- There are two major producers of sunflower seed oil worldwide: Russia and Ukraine. In Russia, the oil and fat industry is one of the leading sub-sectors of the food processing industry, and sunflower oil production increased exponentially in the past decade. After Ukraine, Russia is the second-largest producer of sunflower seed and sunflower oil worldwide. According to the US Department of Agriculture, a total of 5.82 million metric tons of sunflower seed oil was produced during 2021-22, which increased from 5.12 million metric tons in 2020-2021 owing to higher demand from the domestic processing sector and other parts of Europe. However, the production of sunflower has been impacted due to ongoing war, due to which the prices of sunflower oil have increased, restraining the market's growth in the short term.
Sunflower Oil Industry Overview
The major players in the sunflower oil market, such as Archer Daniels Midland Company, and Bunge Limited Cargill Incorporated, have a broad geographical presence and extensive product portfolios to cater to numerous consumer demands. This factor assists the companies in maintaining a strong foothold in the market. Product innovations are among the most adopted strategies by the key players of the market studied, followed by partnerships, with an aim to meet the demand and withstand the competition in the market led by the global players. The prime factors determining the market players and their positions in the concerned market are the high-quality ingredients used without adding preservatives to deliver completely natural products worldwide.
Sunflower Oil Market Leaders
Archer Daniels Midland Company
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Sunflower Oil Market News
- June 2022: Edible Oils Limited (EOL), a joint venture between Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) and Princes Limited, opened a newly renovated bottling facility at its Erith site with an investment of GBP 24 million (USD 28.9 million). As part of its investment program at the Erith site, EOL installed new bottling lines for cooking oils and renovated the oil tank farm to transfer oil to the factory.
- April 2022: Avril expanded its sunflower seed crush capacity in France and expanded its sunflower oil and meal output. A major goal of the expansion is to become more independent in terms of sunflower oil and oilseed meal.
- January 2022: Global food major Cargill opened its first innovation center in India to develop solutions for the food and beverage market. The Center spread over almost 17,000 square feet, includes a sensory lab and demonstration kitchen, with capabilities to serve dairy, beverage, bakery, and convenience food industries, as well as other specialized culinary applications
Sunflower Oil Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Linoleic Oil
5.1.2 Mid-oleic Oil
5.1.3 High-oleic Oil
5.2.3 Personal Care
5.3.1 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 Rest of North America
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 South America
220.127.116.11 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
22.214.171.124 South Africa
126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Positioning of the Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Archer-daniels-midland Company
6.3.2 Bunge Limited
6.3.3 Cargill Incorporated
6.3.4 Avril Group
6.3.5 Kaissa Oil
6.3.6 Optimusagro Trade Llc
6.3.7 Risoil Sa
6.3.8 Gustav Heess Oleochemische Erzeugnisse Gmbh
6.3.9 Mwc Oil
6.3.10 Delta Wilmar
6.3.11 Borges Agricultural Industries And Industrial Edible Oils Sa
6.3.12 Spack Bv
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Sunflower Oil Market Research FAQs
How big is the Sunflower Oil Market?
The Sunflower Oil Market size is expected to reach USD 35.98 billion in 2024 and grow at a CAGR of 6.05% to reach USD 48.26 billion by 2029.
What is the current Sunflower Oil Market size?
In 2024, the Sunflower Oil Market size is expected to reach USD 35.98 billion.
Who are the key players in Sunflower Oil Market?
Archer Daniels Midland Company, Cargill Incorporated, Bunge Limited, Avril Group and Kiassa Oil are the major companies operating in the Sunflower Oil Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Sunflower Oil Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2024-2029).
Which region has the biggest share in Sunflower Oil Market?
In 2024, the Europe accounts for the largest market share in Sunflower Oil Market.
What years does this Sunflower Oil Market cover, and what was the market size in 2023?
In 2023, the Sunflower Oil Market size was estimated at USD 33.93 billion. The report covers the Sunflower Oil Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Sunflower Oil Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Sunflower Oil Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Sunflower Oil market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Sunflower Oil analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.