Speciality Chemicals Market Size
|Market Size (2023)||USD 1.04 Trillion|
|Market Size (2028)||USD 1.22 Trillion|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||3.31 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market||Asia Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Speciality Chemicals Market Analysis
The Specialty Chemicals Market size is expected to grow from USD 1.04 trillion in 2023 to USD 1.22 trillion by 2028, at a CAGR of 3.31% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
The market was negatively impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak in 2020. Owing to the pandemic scenario, several countries went into lockdown, which led to supply chain disruptions, work stoppages, and labor shortages. However, the sector is recovering well since restrictions were lifted. An increase in house sales and new project launches have led to a rise in the demand for paints, coatings, and construction chemicals. The increasing demand for semiconductors, integrated circuits, and agrochemicals led to the market recovery over the last two years.
- The major factors driving the market's growth are the robust growth of construction activities, especially in Asia-Pacific and the Middle East & Africa. Furthermore, the growing population is propelling the demand for food worldwide.
- On the flip side, increasing environmental regulations and decreasing fossil fuel reserves are the restraints hampering the market's growth.
- Growing research and development for creating novel products will likely provide an opportunity for the market studied over the forecast period.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the global market, owing to the vast customer base, leading to high demand for specialty chemicals, increasing industrial production, and robust growth of the construction sector in the region.
Speciality Chemicals Market Trends
Agrochemicals Segment to Dominate the Market Demand
- The agrochemicals segment dominated the share in the specialty chemicals market. The segment's growth is extensively driven by the decreasing per capita arable land and increasing demand for food worldwide.
- The global population is increasing rapidly. This growing population is adding to the food demand. Supplying food to this ever-increasing population is becoming a threat. On the other hand, arable land is declining due to industrialization and urbanization. Fertilizers have been used for a long time to increase crop productivity, thus, enhancing agrochemicals demand over the forecast period.
- With the increasing per capita income and growing population, food and cash crops demand is estimated to increase globally. For instance, as per the FAO, the food demand in the United States is expected to increase by 50-90% by 2050.
- The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) have published projections of an increase in global food demand by 2050. The FAO projections indicate that world food demand may increase by 70% by 2050, with much of the projected increase in global food demand expected to come from rising consumer incomes in Asia-Pacific, Eastern Europe, and Latin America.
- Furthermore, owing to the growing concerns about nutrient efficiency uptake by plants and the growing regulatory health and environmental concerns, micronutrient fertilizers, bio-based fertilizers, and specialty fertilizers (like liquid fertilizers) are gaining popularity.
- Bio-herbicides that use microbes as biological weed control agents are also gaining popularity in integrated pest management techniques, along with synthetic herbicides. Although the segment constitutes only a tiny part of the industry, it is expected to grow significantly.
- Fertilizers exported by all countries totaled around USD 83.2 billion in 2021. That dollar amount reflects an average 50.7%5 increase for all shippers of fertilizers in 2020 when overall fertilizer exports were worth USD 55.2 billion.
- Russia exported USD 12.4 billion in 2021, an increase of around 78% compared to 2020 (USD 6.99 billion), with India being one of the largest importers from the Federation. Additionally, China experienced a significant increase in exports of almost 74.6%. Fertilizer exports from China totaled 11.47 billion USD in 2021.
- Moreover, contracting agricultural land and losing crops owing to pests and diseases are the significant factors driving the insecticide market.
- Hence, all such favorable trends are expected to drive the demand for the agrochemicals market during the forecast period. It is expected to drive the need for specialty chemicals.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region dominated the specialty chemicals market. It is likely to retain its position during the forecast period due to robust growth of the construction sector, increasing cosmetic products demand, growing investment and production in the increasing electrical and electronics industry output, increasing demand for adhesives and plastics from the packaging industry, and increasing installations of water treatment systems from the industries in the region.
- The growing population in the region, especially in countries such as China and India, is increasing the demand for food. It is expected to drive the agrochemical market and consequently help the specialty polymers market grow over the forecast period.
- The growth of the Asia-Pacific construction sector is majorly driven by the service sector expansion, leading to an increase in the demand for office spaces, an increase in residential construction projects, and an inflow of investments from multinational companies to set up an industrial base in the region. Such factors will likely increase the demand for paints and coatings, adhesives and sealants, construction chemicals, and specialty polymers in the area during the forecast period.
- According to the National Bureau of Statistics of China, in 2021, the value added of construction enterprises in China was CNY 8,013.8 billion (~USD 1151.61 billion), up by 2.15% over the previous year.
- India will also likely witness an investment of around USD 1.3 trillion in housing over the next seven years. The country is expected to see the construction of 60 million new homes. The availability of affordable housing is likely to rise by around 70% by 2025 in India. Besides, the Indian government's 'Housing for All by 2022' is also a significant game-changer for the industry.
- Adhesives have become a prime technology component in automotive applications, continuously replacing traditional bonding or adhesion methods. It is increasing adhesives and sealants production in the region, leading to a rise in demand for cosmetic chemicals.
- According to Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association (JAMA), the country produced 7,846,955 units of passenger cars and light vehicles in 2021.
- The electronics industry uses adhesives for various applications, including conformal coatings, protecting terminal electrodes, and bonding of surface mount devices, among many others. The electronics industry is one of the fastest-growing industries in India. According to the Ministry of Electronics and IT, the industry's market size is INR 4,950-5,000 billion (~ USD 66.95-67.62 billion) as of fiscal 2021.
- Hence, all such favorable trends are collectively likely to drive the growth of the specialty chemicals market in the region during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Speciality Chemicals Industry Overview
The specialty chemicals market is highly fragmented, with numerous players holding a significant market share. Some of the major players in the market (in no particular order) include BASF SE, Dow, Corteva, Sika AG, and Solvay, among others.
Speciality Chemicals Market Leaders
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Speciality Chemicals Market News
- December 2022: Clariant AG announced to strengthen its position in China and expand its care chemicals facility in the country, including pharmaceutical, personal care, home care, and industrial applications. The company provides care chemicals under its specialty segment.
- April 2022: Evonik invested in increasing production capacity for isobutene derivatives at its Marl location by 50%5. The isobutene part of the C4 production network produces the petrochemical specialties Tertiary Butanol (TBA), Di- isobutene (DiB), and 3,5,5 Trimethylhexanal (TMH). Tertiary Butanol is a unique solvent and tablet coating for the pharmaceutical industry.
Speciality Chemicals Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Robust Growth of Construction Activities in Asia-Pacific, and Middle East and Africa
4.1.2 Growing Population is Propelling the Demand for Food Worldwide
4.2 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.2.5 Degree of Competition
4.3 Raw Material Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Value)
5.1 Paints and Coatings
184.108.40.206 Other Applications
220.127.116.11 Chemical Synthesis Catalysts
18.104.22.168 Petroleum Refining Catalysts
22.214.171.124 Polymerization Catalysts
5.3 Construction Chemicals
126.96.36.199 Public Space
5.4 Cosmetic Chemicals
188.8.131.52 Hair Care
184.108.40.206 Skin Care
220.127.116.11 Oral Care
18.104.22.168 Personal Hygiene
22.214.171.124 Other Applications
5.5 Dyes, Inks, and Pigments
126.96.36.199 Organic Pigments
188.8.131.52 Inorganic Pigments
5.6 Electronic Chemicals
184.108.40.206 Semiconductors and Integrated Circuits
220.127.116.11 Printed Circuit Boards
5.7 Water Treatment Chemicals
18.104.22.168 Biocides and Disinfectants
22.214.171.124 Defoamers and Defoaming Agents
126.96.36.199 pH Adjusters and Softeners
188.8.131.52 Other Functions
5.8 Food Additives
184.108.40.206 Natural Additives
220.127.116.11 Synthetic Additives
18.104.22.168 Other Crop Protection Chemicals
5.10 Industrial and Institutional Cleaners
22.214.171.124 General Purpose Cleaners
126.96.36.199 Disinfectants and Sanitizers
188.8.131.52 Laundry Care Products
184.108.40.206 Vehicle Wash Products
5.11 Lubricant Additives
5.11.2 Product Type
220.127.116.11 Dispersants and Emulsifiers
18.104.22.168 Oxidation Inhibitors
22.214.171.124 Extreme-pressure Additives and Anti-wear Additives
126.96.36.199 Viscosity Index Modifiers
188.8.131.52 Friction Modifiers
184.108.40.206 Corrosion Inhibitors
220.127.116.11 Other Product Types
5.12 Mining Chemicals
18.104.22.168 Flotation Chemicals
22.214.171.124 Extraction Chemicals
126.96.36.199 Grinding Aids
5.13 Oilfield Chemicals
188.8.131.52 Corrosion and Scale Inhibitor
184.108.40.206 Other Chemical Types
5.14 Adhesives and Sealants
220.127.116.11 Water-borne Adhesives
18.104.22.168 Solvent-borne Adhesives
22.214.171.124 Hot-melt Adhesives
126.96.36.199 Reactive Adhesives
188.8.131.52 Other Adhesives
5.15 Plastic Additives
5.15.2 Plastic Type
184.108.40.206 Polyethylene (PE)
220.127.116.11 Polystyrene (PS)
18.104.22.168 Polypropylene (PP)
22.214.171.124 Polyamide (PA)
126.96.36.199 Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)
188.8.131.52 Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
184.108.40.206 Polycarbonate (PC)
220.127.116.11 Other Plastic Types
5.16 Rubber Processing Chemicals
5.17 Specialty Polymers
5.18 Textile Chemicals
18.104.22.168 Coating and Sizing Chemicals
22.214.171.124 Colorants and Auxiliaries
126.96.36.199 Finishing Agents
188.8.131.52 Desizing Agents
184.108.40.206 Other Application
220.127.116.11 South Korea
18.104.22.168 ASEAN Countries
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.19.2 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 Rest of North America
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
5.19.4 South America
18.104.22.168 Rest of South America
5.19.5 Middle-East and Africa
22.214.171.124 Saudi Arabia
126.96.36.199 South Africa
188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.2.1 Adhesives and Sealants
6.2.3 Construction Chemicals
6.2.4 Lubricants and Oil Additives
6.2.5 Mining Chemicals
6.2.6 Oilfield Chemicals
6.2.7 Paints and Coatings
6.2.8 Specialty Polymers
6.2.9 Water Treatment Chemicals
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.3 Afton Chemical
6.4.4 Akzo Nobel NV
6.4.5 Albemarle Corporation
6.4.8 Arkema Group
6.4.10 Asian Paints
6.4.11 Axalta Coating Systems
6.4.12 Baker Hughes Company
6.4.13 BASF SE
6.4.14 Berger Paints India Limited
6.4.16 Chevron Corporation
6.4.19 Covestro AG
6.4.20 DIC Corporation
6.4.24 Eastman Chemical Company
6.4.26 Evonik Industries AG
6.4.27 Exxon Mobil Corporation
6.4.28 Ferro Corporation
6.4.29 Flint Group
6.4.30 FMC Corporation
6.4.31 GCP Applied Technologies Inc.
6.4.32 H.B. Fuller Company
6.4.34 Henkel AG & Co. KGaA
6.4.35 Hexcel Corporation
6.4.36 Huntsman International LLC
6.4.37 Infineum International Limited
6.4.39 KRONOS Worldwide Inc.
6.4.40 Kurita Water Industries Ltd
6.4.44 MAPEI SpA
6.4.45 Merck KGaA
6.4.46 NIPSEA GROUP
6.4.48 Nutrien Ltd
6.4.49 Pidilite Industries Ltd
6.4.50 PPG Industries Inc.
6.4.51 Procter & Gamble
6.4.52 RPM International Inc.
6.4.54 Schlumberger Limited
6.4.55 Sika AG
6.4.59 The Chemours Company
6.4.60 The Lubrizol Corporation
6.4.61 The Sherwin-Williams Company
6.4.62 Venator Materials PLC
6.4.64 W. R. Grace & Co.
6.4.65 Wacker Chemie AG
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Speciality Chemicals Market Research FAQs
How big is the Specialty Chemicals Market?
The Specialty Chemicals Market size is expected to reach USD 1.04 trillion in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 3.31% to reach USD 1.22 trillion by 2028.
What is the current Specialty Chemicals Market size?
In 2023, the Specialty Chemicals Market size is expected to reach USD 1.04 trillion.
Who are the key players in Specialty Chemicals Market?
BASF SE, Dow, Corteva, Sika AG and Solvay are the major companies operating in the Specialty Chemicals Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Specialty Chemicals Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2027).
Which region has the biggest share in Specialty Chemicals Market?
In 2023, the Asia Pacific accounts for the largest market share in the Specialty Chemicals Market.
Speciality Chemicals Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Speciality Chemicals market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Speciality Chemicals analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.