Meal Replacement Products Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Meal Replacement Products Market Analysis
The global meal replacement products market is projected to register a CAGR of 8.26% during the forecast period.
- The global lockdown imposed due to the COVID-19 epidemic created unprecedented health challenges, with consumers’ adaption to this lifestyle being hailed as the new normal. Lesser movements led to stress, excessive eating, and weight gain. Healthy eating witnessed tremendous support during this period, and consumers’ efforts to keep themselves self-immune was of utmost importance, supporting the sales of meal replacements in the market.
- The meal replacement products market is more established in Western countries, preferably in the European and North American regions. However, the Asia-Pacific region poses an imminent growth potential over the coming years. Currently, all the countries of the world have been intensively affected by the coronavirus, thus potentially harming economic growth.
- The high prevalence of obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases, among others, is expected to propel consumer awareness regarding weight loss and weight management diets, which will drive the demand. Meal replacement products contain 200 to 400 calories and fiber, protein, and other essential nutrients making them convenient and all-inclusive food options. This factor is expected to further fuel the market growth.
- Meal replacement products are gaining traction among consumers who monitor special diets, mainly those managing weight or watching their blood sugar levels due to diabetes. Additionally, the market targets consumers with time constraints, busy lifestyles, and hectic work schedules by helping them replace their meals with healthier and nutritious products over conventional snacks.
Meal Replacement Products Industry Segments
Meal replacement products are pre-packaged, calorie‐controlled products in a bar or powder mix that can be made into a shake or beverage, having been validated as safe and effective tools for weight loss (and weight maintenance).
The meal replacement products market is segmented based on product type into ready-to-drink products, nutritional bars, powdered products, and other product types. Based on distribution channels, the market studied is segmented into convenience stores, hypermarkets/supermarkets, specialty stores, online retailer stores, and other distribution channels. Based on geography, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America, and Middle-East and Africa. The various health benefits associated with the consumption of meal replacement products are driving the growth of the market studied.
For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of value (USD million).
|Other Product Types|
|Other Distribution Channels|
Meal Replacement Products Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Meal Replacement Products Market according to our research experts:
Rising Demand for Convenient and Small-portion Food
- According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Americans spend more than half their food budget on convenient foods, looking for small, time-saving meals. This increases the demand for protein bars, energy bars, and shakes, further driving the market studied. The nutrition bars offer a portable, convenient, and often healthier choice for a quick, on-the-go meal or immediate consumption. The availability of various types and flavors is an added factor driving the market. As a result, these bars are becoming extremely popular, especially among the working-class population, teenagers, people living in hostels, and bachelors.
- Meal replacement products are easy to store and have a longer shelf-life. Most of these products are available in bars or ready-to-drink shakes, making them easy to carry and consume on the go. The powdered form is one of the most popular product types, especially among fitness enthusiasts. Many gyms promote meal replacement products to inculcate healthy dieting habits among their clients.
- Furthermore, consumers are looking for real food ingredients, such as whole grains, fruits, nuts, and vegetables, like carrots, with zero added sugars, less artificial sweeteners, and hydrogenated fats, in the meal-replacing products thus, driving the market further.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America Accounted for the Largest Market Share
- The North American region accounted for the largest share, in terms of revenue, in 2021. The United States is the region's leading meal replacement product market. Local players introduced meal replacement products, such as protein shakes, which are low in calories and healthy. Thus, meal replacement products are emerging as a popular choice among consumers in the region.
- Moreover, market players are focusing on introducing all-organic meal replacement shakes to cater to the needs of consumers. In addition, the multi-purpose functionality and on-the-go convenience of meal replacement products, such as drinks, are attracting consumers across North America.
- Furthermore, the presence of retail outlets suitable for convenient foods, which benefit from both planned and impulse purchases, puts forward an advantage that other snacks do not have.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Meal Replacement Products Market Competitor Analysis
The meal replacement products market is highly competitive, with the top players accounting for half of the total market share. The manufacturers are increasing their investments in R&D, marketing, and innovation of their products and expanding their distribution channels to maintain their market position. Moreover, global players such as the Simply Good Foods Company and Amway Corp. are leveraging the opportunities the emerging segments offer, like sugar-free, vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, and non-GMO products. Other key players include Abbot Laboratories, Glanbia Plc, The Kellogg Company, and Nestle S.A.
Meal Replacement Products Market Top Players
Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods
Herbalife International of America, Inc.
The Kellogg Company
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Meal Replacement Products Market Recent Developments
- November 2022: Levana Nourishment introduced a line of plant-based meal replacement shakes in vanilla bean, mixed berry, and cocoa-coffee varieties.
- March 2022: Southern Charm Nutrition opened its outlet in downtown Fairmont. The store will serve loaded tea and coffee bombs, as well as full meal replacement shakes. All their shakes have 17 to 24 g of protein, are under 270 calories, and are available in a wide range of flavors.
- February 2021: United States-based Veji Holdings released Heal plant-based meal replacements targeted at patients and athletes. The company claimed that all the heal products are vegan, gluten-free, non- GMO and developed to meet Health Canada guidelines.
Meal Replacement Products Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.1.1 Ready-to-drink Products
5.1.2 Nutritional Bars
5.1.3 Powdered Products
5.1.4 Other Product Types
5.2 Distribution Channel
5.2.1 Convenience Stores
5.2.3 Specialty Stores
5.2.4 Online Retailers
5.2.5 Other Distribution Channels
5.3.1 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 Rest of North America
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 South America
126.96.36.199 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
188.8.131.52 South Africa
184.108.40.206 United Arab Emirates
220.127.116.11 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Abbott Laboratories
6.3.2 Amway Corp. (Alticor)
6.3.3 Bob's Red Mill Natural Foods
6.3.4 Herbalife Nutrition
6.3.5 Glanbia PLC
6.3.6 The Simply Good Foods Company
6.3.7 The Kellogg Company
6.3.8 Nestle SA
6.3.9 The Kraft Heinz Company
6.3.10 The Ritebite Group
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Meal Replacement Products Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Meal Replacement Products Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Meal Replacement Products Market?
The Meal Replacement Products Market is growing at a CAGR of 8.26% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Meal Replacement Products Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Meal Replacement Products Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Meal Replacement Products Market?
Abbott Laboratories, Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods, Herbalife International of America, Inc., Glanbia Plc, The Kellogg Company are the major companies operating in Meal Replacement Products Market.
Meal Replacement Products Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Meal Replacement Products sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Meal Replacement Products research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Meal Replacement Products report PDF.